Sun Sentinel: Trading Marion the best solution for the Heat?

Sun Sentinel: Trading Marion the best solution for the Heat?

Postby Ludachris on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:05 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/bask ... 2004.story

The most amicable resolution with Marion should he not opt out would be a trade, with Los Angeles Lakers forward Lamar Odom, Los Angeles Clippers forward Elton Brand and Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer among the options.
Ludachris

Re: Shawn Marion likely to be traded

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Ludachris wrote:Do you think the Lakers would consider trading Odom for him? Not that I think it's the best scenario, but would Marion fit in better with what we're doing? I personally don't like Marion's attitude but he's got good defensive skills and can shoot, drive, and get open for assisted dunks pretty well...

Here's the article that got me thinking....
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/bask ... 2004.story

I would take Marion in a heartbeat for LO. Much better fit here at the SF. Plus he's actually arguably more talented than LO, a rarity. He's a legit all star where LO hasn't shown the consistency to be one. The only questions really concern money - would Buss be willing to pay for another big contract. But Emplay said Buss would be willing to do so because of the quality of the team.

Marion here would be enormous. His D is phenomenal, his rebounding great, he's a natural fit at SF, tremendous athleticisim, and some outside shooting as well (he can knock down the 3 and the mid-range). That would be dynamite.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wallangong on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:36 pm

last summer when Marion said he would love to play with Kobe, i was 100% against trading LO for him. But now...i think his slashing ability and ugly-yet-effective 3pt shot would be perfect alongside Bynum and Pau. i don't even need to mention his D...

DO IT MITCH!
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:40 pm

wallangong wrote:last summer when Marion said he would love to play with Kobe, i was 100% against trading LO for him. But now...i think his slashing ability and ugly-yet-effective 3pt shot would be perfect alongside Bynum and Pau. i don't even need to mention his D...

DO IT MITCH!

I was on the fence because I felt he was too small to play PF for us, and LO fit well at the spot. But with Gasol here, Marion is a much better fit at SF for us than LO. Not even close.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tactical on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:05 pm

The most amicable resolution with Marion should he not opt out would be a trade, with Los Angeles Lakers forward Lamar Odom, Los Angeles Clippers forward Elton Brand and Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer among the options. Marion would be eligible to be dealt as soon as Tuesday's opt-out deadline passes.

Quote from the article. No way the Clipps or Jazz pull those trades, so if those were the only feasible options I guess that means we'd be in good shape?
Tactical

Postby Lakerfan1445 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:06 pm

i would do this deal cause we get a SF that defends and a pretty good shooter
and when kobe goes out of the game marion is in to help score points
Lakerfan1445

Postby BB on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:09 pm

Besides all the basketball related stuff, Marion is a marketable player too. :P
BB

Postby lakersforthewin on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 pm

The thing that worries me about Matrix is his age. He's already 31 and his athleticism won't last forever.
The Lakers:

Where unlucky injuries ALWAYS happen
lakersforthewin

Postby BB on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 pm

lakersforthewin wrote:The thing that worries me about Matrix is his age. He's already 31 and his athleticism won't last forever.
So we should trade Kobe? Plus, it's not like Lamar is 25. Even if his athleticism will degrade in time, I don't see why he wouldn't improve our team. Actually I think that his age can help us because he'd play for less, but a longer contract. It all depends.
BB

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 pm

lakersforthewin wrote:The thing that worries me about Matrix is his age. He's already 31 and his athleticism won't last forever.

True, but he's got 4 years I would expect.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersforthewin on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:23 pm

BB wrote:
So we should trade Kobe? Plus, it's not like Lamar is 25. Even if his athleticism will degrade in time, I don't see why he wouldn't improve our team. Actually I think that his age can help us because he'd play for less, but a longer contract. It all depends.

From what I've read Marion wants a max contract extension
The Lakers:

Where unlucky injuries ALWAYS happen
lakersforthewin

Postby alex58 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 pm

He is the right replacement for Lamar , if he comes with the right price.
he is a rebounding machine , never rest.
Magic , the only way to bring back the go0d old days.
alex58

Postby rock0100 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Didn't Marion barely turn 30 in May. Yeah, he is older then Odom, but the guy would fit perfectly. :jam2:
rock0100

Postby The Greatest on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:54 pm

hes 31 i believe and the problem is he got pissed being the 3rd option in phoenix why would he wanna come here and be a 3rd or 4th option the guy was happy to go to the crappiest team in the league from a championship contender im just sayin money and being the man is what he wants not rings
The Greatest

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:57 pm

The Greatest wrote:hes 31 i believe and the problem is he got pissed being the 3rd option in phoenix why would he wanna come here and be a 3rd or 4th option the guy was happy to go to the crappiest team in the league from a championship contender im just sayin money and being the man is what he wants not rings

He's probably cured of that now.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Amongst:Kings on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 pm

i think with this summers soft market he would be fine with 12 million to start and increasing over time.

I read somewhere (maybe emply said it) that Buss would be willing to pay Marion.

I have been a strong supporter of Odom and wanting to keep him over Wallace, Jefferson etc, but Marion really is IMO the most underrated player. I've seen him guard Yao, Paul, Kobe, Pierce, Bron, Melo, Parker, Duncan, Brand, Rip Hamilton, Dirk, Ginobli, and even pre-Miami trade, Wade.

He can D up almost anyone and do it effectively. His athleticism and conditioning is second to none. He is an equal rebounder to Odom. His jumper is ugly, but bery effective, and he can be a above average passer. He also would bring a mental edge that Wallace or Jefferson couldn't

I think the key is to get him to buy into the system and he can be our KG with a little more scoring.

The best part about this trade is we put Lamar in a good situation where he can thrive as well.

Defensively, yes Wallace and Marion are about equivilant, but as a bigger name, I think Marion could make a bigger impact on our players.
Amongst:Kings

Postby agent13 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:59 am

marion will want a lot of $$$., plus im not convinced he would settle for being thrid-4 option in the offense. but for the MLE, id take it.
agent13

Postby Congo Cash on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:05 am

- he wants more money that he never deserves
- he don't want to be a 3rd fiddle
- casper during the playoffs

No thanks...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby BB on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:25 am

agent13 wrote:marion will want a lot of $$$., plus im not convinced he would settle for being thrid-4 option in the offense. but for the MLE, id take it.
lmao, you people are really funny with the MLE. How about Kobe opts out and he signs for the veteran minimum? It's just as realistic to get an all-star for MLE.

And he'd be 2nd to 3rd option on the team, but yes, I'm concerned about this with him too.
BB

Postby sticky on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:44 am

according to emplay, miami may be interested in ODOM N WALTON for MARION!!!!!!! DO IT MITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9188
KOBE 4 MVP!

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 am

sticky wrote:according to emplay, miami may be interested in ODOM N WALTON for MARION!!!!!!! DO IT MITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9188

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Please, please, please . . .
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:46 am

New York Post's Peter Vecsey: Pat Riley's first offer late last week to Shawn Marion was beyond being an insult. Meaning he's highly unlikely to opt out of next season's $17.8 million guarantee. Meaning the Heat won't be able to re-sign him for six years and instead may only extend him four years. Meaning the odds of Marion being traded will greatly increase.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Larry14r on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:00 am

I don't want Marion anymore because I lost all respect for him as soon as he whined about not getting paid, and wanted to be the man on his team.
Larry14r

Marion/Banks For Odom/Walton

Postby oldschoollakerfan8 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:03 am

If you own a retail business click here
www.thefriedmangroup.com
oldschoollakerfan8

Postby Amongst:Kings on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:09 am

YES PLEASE

Lamar goes to a comfortable situtation and we get a guy who fits perfectly.
Amongst:Kings

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors