LA Times article on DA and Lakers interest

LA Times article on DA and Lakers interest

Postby lakerfansd on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:41 am

Hope this hasn't been posted: (from LA times)


"The Lakers, short on veteran backcourt help, were one of a half-dozen teams that showed interest in acquiring guard Derek Anderson after he became the first player waived under the "amnesty" provision, Anderson's agent said Wednesday.

Anderson, who has averaged 13.1 points and 3.7 assists in his eight-year career, was released by the Portland Trail Blazers as part of a one-time opportunity for teams to waive a player by Aug. 15 to reduce their luxury-tax payouts.

Anderson, 31, will still get paid $18.8 million over the next two seasons by the Trail Blazers, but he is free to draw a second salary from another team, possibly the Lakers.

"In our minds, that's a pretty good fit for him," said Anderson's agent, Tony Dutt. "That's a good situation. They want to go short [in contract years], and we want to go short."

Anderson probably would accept a two-year deal if it was for the full midlevel exception of $5 million a season.

The 6-5 Anderson made a career-best 38.4% of his three-point attempts last season, but he sat out 66 games over the last two seasons because of back problems. He is currently in good shape and healthy, Dutt said.

Other teams that inquired about Anderson included the Miami Heat, Houston Rockets and Minnesota Timberwolves, Dutt said.

The Trail Blazers also waived veteran guard Nick Van Exel, declining to pick up a final non-guaranteed year of his contract. Van Exel, 34, averaged 10.7 points last season and would have made $12.8 million next season.

Dutt, who also represents Van Exel, said the Lakers had not expressed interest in reuniting with their former draft pick."



Good news that both Lakers and DA want short term contract. But, may cost us the full MLE. Anyone surprised that Miami's name popped up with yet ANOTHER free agent we're interested in? No NVE to LA though.
User avatar
lakerfansd

 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:25 pm
Location: San Diego

Postby KB24 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:03 am

Miami doesn´t have the money. Is Derek really worth the entire MLE? Geez.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55544
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby MarkMadsen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:22 am

dont miami still have their MLE?
User avatar
MarkMadsen

 
Posts: 7461
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Minnesota

Postby KB24 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:25 am

MarkMadsen wrote:dont miami still have their MLE?

Haslem was resigned.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55544
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby pavle34 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:58 am

:fatshaq: hell we might aswell sign DA becoz every other free agent is getting picked so i guess hes our last choice.
pavle34

 
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:16 pm

Postby balla34 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:09 am

I say Sign DA :bow:
User avatar
balla34

 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:10 pm

Postby Bolong on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:52 am

I strongly agree. I've been a DA fan since his days in Kentucky. I think he'd fit the triangle perfectly as a third scoring option. He can shoot and he can cut, something we sort of lost when Chucky Atkins left. SIGN HIM MITCH!
User avatar
Bolong

 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:45 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

cAN WE DO A SIGN AND TRADE

Postby LOUIE04 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:53 am

maybe the blazers can sign him for the MLE and trade him to us for expiring contracts just to free up some cap room maybe slava, sasha, devean george, or coook?!? if not i think we should sign him to the MLE! hes one of the best free agents right now!! another reason is if we dont get him soon other teams are gonna offer some big @$$ deals for them then hes gonna be out of our reach!!
User avatar
LOUIE04

 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: (323) Off the 2Fwy

Re: cAN WE DO A SIGN AND TRADE

Postby Savage1 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:20 am

LOUIE04 wrote:maybe the blazers can sign him for the MLE and trade him to us for expiring contracts just to free up some cap room maybe slava, sasha, devean george, or coook?!? if not i think we should sign him to the MLE! hes one of the best free agents right now!! another reason is if we dont get him soon other teams are gonna offer some big @$$ deals for them then hes gonna be out of our reach!!


Once you use the amnesty rule on somebody you can't sign them back until their original contract has run its course.
User avatar
Savage1

 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Florida

Postby kobesthegreatest8 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:38 am

I say we sign him!
Image


Thanks to Showtime for the greatest sig! And thanks to magicmoment for the awesome Av!
User avatar
kobesthegreatest8

 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:44 pm
Location: longmeadow,mass

Postby silversyphon41 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:00 am

kobesthegreatest8 wrote:I say we sign him!


SIGN DA! SIGN DA! :man13: :man13: :man13:
KOBE + BYNUM & TURIAF + GOOD PG = SELL OUT CROWD! BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS LA!
User avatar
silversyphon41

 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 6:08 pm

Postby Mark McNamara on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:57 am

KB8@CL wrote:....Is Derek really worth the entire MLE? Geez.


Yes. Considering we're in desperate need of a starting PG, he is a big guard which Phil likes, he can shoot and score, he plays adequate D, and most of all it's likely only for 2 years....yes, he's worth the full MLE.....Who else is out there that's worth a damn that wants a 2 year deal?
User avatar
Mark McNamara

 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: L.A.

Postby Savage1 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:08 am

Mark McNamara wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:....Is Derek really worth the entire MLE? Geez.


Yes. Considering we're in desperate need of a starting PG, he is a big guard which Phil likes, he can shoot and score, he plays adequate D, and most of all it's likely only for 2 years....yes, he's worth the full MLE.....Who else is out there that's worth a damn that wants a 2 year deal?


I agree completely with you on that. My only thing is that the guy made over 8 mil last year. The reason that they get released with is that they haven't lived up to their contracts. I just wish something would have been added to limit the new contract that they could sign to the LLE. If he gets signed for the MLE, he'll basically be paid the amount of a max contract the next two years.
User avatar
Savage1

 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Florida

Postby trodgers on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:46 am

Savage1 wrote:
Mark McNamara wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:....Is Derek really worth the entire MLE? Geez.


Yes. Considering we're in desperate need of a starting PG, he is a big guard which Phil likes, he can shoot and score, he plays adequate D, and most of all it's likely only for 2 years....yes, he's worth the full MLE.....Who else is out there that's worth a damn that wants a 2 year deal?


I agree completely with you on that. My only thing is that the guy made over 8 mil last year. The reason that they get released with is that they haven't lived up to their contracts. I just wish something would have been added to limit the new contract that they could sign to the LLE. If he gets signed for the MLE, he'll basically be paid the amount of a max contract the next two years.

I agree with all three of you. Of course DA isn't worth what he would make this season on the face of things...but the market and the situation determine the price of a player. I'd love if we could only drop like $3m on him, we'd still have $2m and the LLE $1.6 to sign two other decent players, but it's not going to be that way probably. It's an unfortunate situation to be in and the 2007 plan is to blame, but they deem it worth the suffering now.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46287
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Postby DR GHOO on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:02 pm

I agree we should sign him. Look how Phil made use of the geriatric Ron Harper. Now I know DA has his own injury issues but I think he still has great abilitites and can still ball up. Especially in Phil's system I think he will thrive. If we have to give the MLE then I think we should do it. We can't afford to lose another player with talent to another team. There's just hasn't been that many out there in this FA offseason and I don't think there's going to be. Sign DA and then look to trade Puppycrap(Cook), Slapa M., Gump(DG), Sasha to any takers for decent bench production players.
Image
User avatar
DR GHOO

 
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:37 am
Location: Alhambra, CA

Postby MarkMadsen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:32 pm

KB8@CL wrote:
MarkMadsen wrote:dont miami still have their MLE?

Haslem was resigned.


they dont need to use the MLE on Haslem. early bird rights.
User avatar
MarkMadsen

 
Posts: 7461
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Minnesota

Postby KB24 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:53 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:
MarkMadsen wrote:dont miami still have their MLE?

Haslem was resigned.


they dont need to use the MLE on Haslem. early bird rights.

The bird exception is ONLY for players that play for that team for AT LEAST 3 Years. Haslem has only 2 so no the bird right won´t work for him. Thats what I believe but I could be wrong of course. Wait untill somebody else comments.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55544
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby CHtongueEEK on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:40 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:dont miami still have their MLE?

I just read somewhere that Damon Jones wants the entire MLE but I also read that Haslim got it either way the MLE is pretty much used up.
CHtongueEEK

 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:48 pm

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:43 pm

KB8@CL wrote:
MarkMadsen wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:
MarkMadsen wrote:dont miami still have their MLE?

Haslem was resigned.


they dont need to use the MLE on Haslem. early bird rights.

The bird exception is ONLY for players that play for that team for AT LEAST 3 Years. Haslem has only 2 so no the bird right won´t work for him. Thats what I believe but I could be wrong of course. Wait untill somebody else comments.


Nope. MarkMadsen was right. It's early bird rights.
Damian Necronamous

 
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:35 pm

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:02 pm

wait wtf DA is in no way worth the entire MLE hes not even a Point Guard what are u guys saying? I wouldnt give him the entire MLE...im still hoping for Fisher to be released and hopefully we can STILL get lue even if DA is signed to entire MLE...but we need to start getting rid of some players that are not needed like George, Slava and Sasha
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA


Return to Sourced Rumors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.