LO Trade Bait This Summer? (Sun-Sentinel p.16)

Postby KB8SD on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 pm

This makes sense because the Lakers are already very much over the cap aftre the Gasol deal and because I dont see Odom taking a pay cut to resign with the Lakers on a long term.For all we know Odom might do something crazy if we win the championship this year and say something like this "after my contract is expired I'm going to retire from the game, I've accomplished everything I wanted".

If they trade him for a high draft pick.I really want UCLA's Kevin Love.
Last edited by KB8SD on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KB8SD

Postby knm131 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Punk-101 wrote:It gonna be Odom to the grizzlies for Miller and the high pick.

Highly doubtful. They did their cap space move already with Pau.

If they're moving Miller, they're moving him to get a draft pick back.
knm131

Postby vaheblings on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 pm

joshua1516 wrote:Why should we trade odom. He can do so many things that other players cannot. Rebounding, fast breaks, passing, and size. You lose a lot if you trade him.

You wanna know why? Business! Don't forget this is stll a business and they dont wanna be playing around with there own money, plain & simple.
vaheblings

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 pm

knm131 wrote:

They can have our late 20's pick :man1:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby jlkr on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 pm

If Odom goes for a pick, there has to be salary coming back. The other team has to be willing to give up its top pick plus a salary acceptable to the Lakers for Odom. Unless it's something like the Chicago trade proposed in this thread, I don't see it happening.
jlkr

Postby KB8SD on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
knm131 wrote:

Umm...We dont have any 1st round pick this year, we gave that up in the Gasol deal.
KB8SD

Postby pd23 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
knm131 wrote:

Dont they already have our pick?
pd23

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:10 pm

^^

IDK, probably. i was just being silly.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby vaheblings on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:30 pm

jlkr wrote:If Odom goes for a pick, there has to be salary coming back. The other team has to be willing to give up its top pick plus a salary acceptable to the Lakers for Odom. Unless it's something like the Chicago trade proposed in this thread, I don't see it happening.

Then how did Charlotte trade for Jason Richardson, or Boston for Ray Allen?
vaheblings

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:38 pm

vaheblings wrote:
jlkr wrote:If Odom goes for a pick, there has to be salary coming back. The other team has to be willing to give up its top pick plus a salary acceptable to the Lakers for Odom. Unless it's something like the Chicago trade proposed in this thread, I don't see it happening.

Charlotte had cap with only G-Wall making significant money.

Boston traded away Wally along with the pick to get Allen.

I'm not saying your source isn't legit, but I'm thinking its way too premature to say he's gone this summer when we haven't seen our skyline yet....at all....and we might not get to see them at full strength till next season.

How can you F with a mobile 6-10, 7-0, 7-1 front-line?

LA would be doing a disservice to the possibilities if they didn't give that line up a chance. The playoffs is a small sample size. They would need at least some of next season to see how this works out. So, LO at the deadline could be a possibility, but IMO it seems far more probable than dealing him outright this summer...especially if we win the title.

The only way they deal him is if LO lays a complete egg in the playoffs or impedes the camaraderie of our two 7 footers.

Also one other thing to note. Normally teams that have high draft picks, have them for a reason. They either don't have the right star players (ie NY) or they just don't have star players (and their salaries) at all (ie Grizz). The teams that don't have star players are the teams that are way under the cap. So why would they trade away a pick to add even more cap?

It makes no sense.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby vaheblings on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:46 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
vaheblings wrote:

Charlotte had cap with only G-Wall making significant money.

Boston traded away Wally along with the pick to get Allen.

I'm not saying your source isn't legit, but I'm thinking its way too premature to say he's gone this summer when we haven't seen our skyline yet....at all....and we might not get to see them at full strength till next season.

How can you F with a mobile 6-10, 7-0, 7-1 front-line?

LA would be doing a disservice to the possibilities if they didn't give that line up a chance. The playoffs is a small sample size. They would need at least some of next season to see how this works out. So, LO at the deadline could be a possibility, but IMO it seems far more probable than dealing him outright this summer...especially if we win the title.

The only way they deal him is if LO lays a complete egg in the playoffs or impedes the camaraderie of our two 7 footers.

Also one other thing to note. Normally teams that have high draft picks, have them for a reason. They either don't have the right star players (ie NY) or they just don't have star players (and their salaries) at all (ie Grizz). The teams that don't have star players are the teams that are way under the cap. So why would they trade away a pick to add even more cap?

It makes no sense.

I aint saying i dont agree with you, i do luv LO all im saying is this is what i was told, and im just sharing i didn't have to, but im just passing on the note. Thats all. Now i guess we would have to wait & see this June to see what happens
vaheblings

Postby theinsanity on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:54 pm

vaheblings wrote:
LO7cK35 wrote:if we win a championship, there is no way odom is going anywhere. otherwise of course he may be shopped we already knew this from the whole contract extension thing.

From the things ive herd even if we win he aint getting that extension, they dont wanna commit to so much players for so long, they already are stuck with: Radmanovic/Walton for another 3-4 years, then they got Kobe 2 deal with, then Gasol has another 3 years left and then Bynum has to get extended. Then we gotta re-sign Sasha/Turiaf and worry about Farmar in a year or 2

This is actually what I was thinking too. The thinking here seems to be, wait till we see what he does with Bynum and Gasol and my question is what happens if he plays well? The numbers he's put up in the last 30 games are amazing (something close to 15-10 on 57% shooting) and if he maintains that kind of production, he deserves a pretty fat contract. With the Lakers committed to so many other players (Kobe, Gasol, Luke, Vlad and you can pretty much be assured Bynum's getting a max extension), I don't know if the Lakers will want to pay that much when we could very well be a contender with a less expensive player at that position.
theinsanity

Postby Splash on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:55 pm

HUH?

Wow.

This is unfathomable.

L.O., Pau, and Drew-B have yet to even step on the court TOGETHER.
That front line has the potential to be the most dominant EVER.

You're talking about a front line that history may have a ton of difficulty repeating.

I don't see how there could be a "CONCRETE DECISION" on letting go L.O. already when you don't even know what you're working with.

Talk about counting the eggs before they hatch, geeeez.

It's basically like getting a dimepiece's number at a club, and making the decision not to ever call her because you're under the impression that you can't afford the broad.

No sense, what so ever.

:disagree:
Splash

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 pm

I'll play ... because reguardless of when ..he will be traded before the start of next season..

LO PAU and Bynum cost too much..

So I will give you What I would do ..

Farmar Rad and Odom ( about 20 mill in yearly salary) I would send to the east this could change a franchise and mak them a contender in the east..my targets would be

Joe Johnson ..

Michael Redd

Richard Jefferson

Jamal crawford ( and change) ..which I do believe that the knicks would be the best trading partner followed by the bulls..

outside shot ..Artest
flexxdzl

Postby mapabu1 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:24 pm

I like the Chicago trade as well you add Hinrich and Nocioni with Kobe and Gasol and Bynum it's a wrap
mapabu1

Postby bumrusherer on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Screw that..I'd give them Odom for Mikey Miller straight up. When Gasol and Bynum get healthy, words could not describe how many open looks Miller would get.
bumrusherer

Postby LosAngelesLove on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Weezy wrote:
The Maverick wrote:L4L proposed this trade in another thread.

Lamar Odom, Jordan Farmar and Luke Walton for Andres Nocioni Kirk Hinrich.

I'd love that trade, and if the rumors are true about Larry Brown becoming the Chicago coach, I think he'd do it too.

I also love that trade, Hinrich to me is the ideal Tri PG, he's tall, he can defend and he can shoot. Nocioni would also be a big upgrade from Luke.

I'm sorry, but is this the same Hinrich who shoots a career 414% and makes 11mil per year? lol i'll pass
LosAngelesLove

Postby pd23 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:47 pm

LosAngelesLove wrote:
Weezy wrote:

I'd love that trade, and if the rumors are true about Larry Brown becoming the Chicago coach, I think he'd do it too.

I also love that trade, Hinrich to me is the ideal Tri PG, he's tall, he can defend and he can shoot. Nocioni would also be a big upgrade from Luke.

I'm sorry, but is this the same Hinrich who shoots a career 414% and makes 11mil per year? lol i'll pass
If you think about it 414% is the best in the NBA. :mhihi:

All jokes aside, he plays great D and has range to spread the floor. We need D at the PG spot.
pd23

Postby jjin28 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:50 pm

odom and farmar for marion and draft pick.

draft Rose or OJ Mayo

Rose
Kobe
Marion
Gasol
Bynum
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby lakerholic on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:54 pm

In a New York Minute!!
"No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but that damn boy Kobe Bryant is The Closer."
lakerholic

Postby Perfect Makes Practice on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:09 pm

LO for Mike Miller and pick was exactly what I was thinking also. But why would the Griz do this? Unless they would add a bad contract like Cardinal to even out the #'s and for it to make sense for them. So they would basically get rid of a bad contract, a great pick, and a very decent contract in Miller for Odom's expiring.

Unless the Griz have a plan for 2 summers from now, I don't know how that would work out for them.
Perfect Makes Practice

Postby kentu_tiro on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:14 pm

If we win the championship, LO will be offered a new contract but they will give him something around the 7-8M per season. That is if he accepts. We all know that 14M per that Riley gave him is too extravagant and way overpriced for Odom. A 7-8M per season deal is just about right.

If we don't win it all and one of the glaring weakness identified is our SF spot, then LO is trade bait till next season's deadline (just like Marion).

Or it could be that they are really serious about limiting the luxury tax they pay. Which means they will just let Odom play out next season irregardless of what happens this year. Then Ariza, Radmanovic and Luke becomes our SF triumvirate. Gasol plays full time PF and Bynum the full time center.
kentu_tiro

Postby The_Lamar_Show on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:23 pm

Why do you guys want Mike Miller? That guys defense is worse than Odoms! And do we really need more 3pt shooters? We already have Sasha, Famar, Vlad chugging up tons of 3s. It just doesnt make sense to trade someone of LOs unique talent for something we have an abundence of. :man5:
The_Lamar_Show

Postby kentu_tiro on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:32 pm

The_Lamar_Show wrote:Why do you guys want Mike Miller? That guys defense is worse than Odoms! And do we really need more 3pt shooters? We already have Sasha, Famar, Vlad chugging up tons of 3s. It just doesnt make sense to trade someone of LOs unique talent for something we have an abundence of. :man5:

If I'd be the one to make the choice, I'd take Battier. Perfect role player SF who can D up and shoot from outside. He's got great basketball IQ too.
kentu_tiro

Postby dvdrdiscs on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:52 pm

Even if Lamar plays well when Gasol and Bynum gets back, it's almost financially IMPOSSIBLE to keep him. They cannot afford to resign Lamar while handing out extensions to Bynum, Turiaf, and Sasha. Unless Lamar plans to take a huge pay cut in the form of the MLE, then I don't see how it is financially feasible.

Logically though, I don't see how anyone can expect Odom to put up the same #'s playing 4th string. It's a waste of his talent and Buss's money. Trading him is not a knock at him but rather a smart business decision.
dvdrdiscs

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors