LO Trade Bait This Summer? (Sun-Sentinel p.16)

Postby Jajwa on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 am

See I don't understand why is it that the PGs got a free pass for this series. Last I checked you need a stud PG to have a great team and you Rondo will be better next year, let's not forget that. He will develop a better mid-range jumper that may burn us over time.

You need Kirk Hinrich at PG. The ideal triangle PG who can do anything Phil asks of a triangle PG, shoot well, and defend with the best of them.

The SF part I haven't figured out yet.
Jajwa

Postby halekulani on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 am

rondo was a gem tonight, killing the lakers momentum everytime they had something

his steals prevented the lakers from getting on a run, and also managed to grab several offensive boards. his and1 layup on kobe was another momentum killer because we hit a 3 before. absolute stud in game 6. definitely was fun watching him play.
halekulani

Postby Jajwa on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:08 am

That's why I laugh at the idea that the Lakers are invincible with Fisher/Farmar at the PG spots.

Neither can play defense against Deron William's Jazz who were very close to beating us with a couple different plays in game 5. Then with momentum a win in game 6 and no Finals for L.A.

- PG must be improved along with SF this year.

We're perfect in three starting spots. The other two are up for discussion.

PG- Hinrich
SG- Bryant
SF- Nocioni
PF- Gasol
C- Bynum

I wonder if that would be enough...
Jajwa

Postby CLICKCLICK on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:50 am

I think the Lakers should hold off on pulling the trigger with a Odom trade, see how the team flows in November with a frontcourt of Bynum, Gasol and Odom and then make a decision.

Besides this summer is going to be Lamar's first offseason where he can focus on his game (and that elusive jumpshot) in two years, he had his baby's passing away two offseasons ago and last year was the injury.
CLICKCLICK

Postby Jajwa on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:54 am

You don't develop a jumpshot seemingly out of nowhere though after all these years.

Placing Odom at SF would be the equivalent of telling Boston, pack the paint until the cows come home. We tried it remember?

The first game we played against Boston....

Odom scored 4 points...
Jajwa

Postby kobe_008 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 am

if theyre just going to trade Odom for a high pick wouldn't the salary cap a factor?
kobe_008

Postby Jajwa on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:55 am

Yes it would and a high pick would be pointless right now.
Jajwa

Postby BB on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:52 am

CLICKCLICK wrote:I think the Lakers should hold off on pulling the trigger with a Odom trade, see how the team flows in November with a frontcourt of Bynum, Gasol and Odom and then make a decision.

Besides this summer is going to be Lamar's first offseason where he can focus on his game (and that elusive jumpshot) in two years, he had his baby's passing away two offseasons ago and last year was the injury.
If we wait, nothing will happen. Most teams that want to rebuild don't wait to see what can happen on the other teams. If they'll get offers for their players who get some money off the books they'll pull the trigger and as time passes, our possibilities of changing something shrink. And Odom didn't have a jumper his whole career. What makes you think a summer will make a difference?

And our SF is weaker than our PG.
BB

Postby marcelo on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:38 am

I´ve been wanting Odom gone for a long time now. That being said, I liked what Odom did this season, he elevated his game when Gasol arrived, still showed inconsistency, but overall, it was better than i expected.

But with Bynum coming back, we need a true SF. It´s time for Odom to go.

As long as we get a good SF AND James Posey, it will be a good offseason.
marcelo

Postby TalkieWalkie on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:14 am

Has anyone seen any indication that Pau can hang at the PF position?

This is what I am concerned about.

Everyone's talking about can Lamar play SF....but what about Pau...?

The Lakers really need to look at the PG position this summer.... not enough speed or size to disrupt the opposing pgs...thats a huge disadvantage on the defensive end....which is where the Lakers need their biggest improvment as Kobe said in the press conference...
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby knm131 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:33 am

JSM wrote:
Real Deal wrote:Trade Odom to Charlotte for their #9 pick and Nazr Mohammed.

Draft Brandon Rush. He will play defense and grab boards, and won't be a no-show when it's time for us to call on him. No blown layups, either.

C - Bynum/Mohammed
PF - Gasol/Turiaf
SF - Rush/Ariza
SG - Kobe/Vujacic
PG - Fisher/Farmar

Get rid of Radmanovic for a first-rounder, or trade him and Walton in a package for another defensive power forward or center. Waive Mbenga, Karl, and threaten Mihm's life to NOT take his player option...and we'll be GREAT for 2009.

Rush?! Kansas players are nearly as bad as members of the Boston Celtics. As a Memphis fan, I highly object.

Only problem is that that line still lacks a #2 option. And by #2, I'm not talking about the guy after Kobe who will score the second most points in the regular season.

I'm talking pecking order. The guy who, when Kobe is off, will take the initiative and MAKE things happen. Will make a defensive play, get the ball into a hot player's hands, or make the basket himself. The only guy who maybe has potential is Farmar.

But we need more, or we'll be a great reg season team, and a slowly worsening team in the postseason once again as Pau wilters under pressure as the #2 guy.
knm131

Postby UKUGA on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:40 am

Cap Question:

Can Odom be dumped to a team that's below the cap (Charlotte?) without having to trade him on a dollar-for-dollar basis?

Thanks,

UKUGA
"The Lakers need more fans like you!"
- Gary Vitti, to me, in a Cleveland restaurant
UKUGA

Postby rock0100 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:46 am

I am calling it now.

Odom for Artest / Shareef.

Kwame with the MLE.

:jam2:
rock0100

Postby wallangong on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 am

Jajwa wrote:You don't develop a jumpshot seemingly out of nowhere though after all these years.

Placing Odom at SF would be the equivalent of telling Boston, pack the paint until the cows come home. We tried it remember?

Odom scored 4 points...

a couple years ago he shot over 37% from 3 while taking over 200 3-pointers. he's had a jumpshot, he just hasn't gotten to work on it in the offseason. i think if he spends the summer focused on improving his shot, we can see a Lamar Odom with a decent jumpshot.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Radner on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:58 am

wallangong wrote:
Jajwa wrote:You don't develop a jumpshot seemingly out of nowhere though after all these years.

Odom scored 4 points...

a couple years ago he shot over 37% from 3 while taking over 200 3-pointers. he's had a jumpshot, he just hasn't gotten to work on it in the offseason. i think if he spends the summer focused on improving his shot, we can see a Lamar Odom with a decent jumpshot.

The fact that he likes to party more than play basketball should be enough to know that Lamar will not improve his jumper.
Radner

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:07 am

UKUGA wrote:Cap Question:

Can Odom be dumped to a team that's below the cap (Charlotte?) without having to trade him on a dollar-for-dollar basis?

Thanks,

UKUGA

Yes. We can trade Odom to a team under the cap and get back less than we sent out. We would also aquire a trade exception. So if we traded Odom to the Bobcats for their first rounder (for example) we would get the first rounder and a 14 million dollar trade exception. That means we can send that out and get a player worth 14 million in return.
Savory Griddles

Postby dvdrdiscs on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:36 am

Anyone that suggest we should wait to see how Odom-Gasol-Bynum plays out, let me ask you this. What is there to see? It's basic fundamental basketball.

FACT:

-The role of a SF is to defend, spread the floor, and grab the occasional board.
-Lamar Odom cannot do ANY of those things.
-Lamar has NOT improved any area of his game the last 8 years, he is not going to "get it" regardless of any excuses you make for him including his injury and his baby's passing.

So let me ask again, what IS there to wait and see? If you want to relegate him to the bench or Bynum to the bench then you are delusional.
dvdrdiscs

Postby GinoDB on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:36 am

UKUGA wrote:Cap Question:

Thanks,

UKUGA

yup , Sixers also have cap room for that.
GinoDB

Postby khmrP on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:37 am

I'm more depressed now then ever because the one player I hate most "Luke" wont be moved, 1. hes sucks, 2.bad contract., 3.Phil is all over his nuts sacks because of his high bb iq. Only hope is to find some takers for Odom and some house attach rad/luke with him, adding minhms 2.5 expiring might help as well. Love to see us get either Artest, Battier, Wallace. I dont know the big deal is with Artest and his chemistry killing bit, he didn't seem to be a problem when Indy was winning, imagine having him and Ariza at full strength, these 2 alone was disrupt alot of periminter O. But the thing I dont know if any player can solve for us is the P&R O, we haven't been able to guard that even during the Shaq erra, so something has to be done bout this weakness of ours.
khmrP

Postby dvdrdiscs on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:38 am

wallangong wrote:

Odom scored 4 points...

a couple years ago he shot over 37% from 3 while taking over 200 3-pointers. he's had a jumpshot, he just hasn't gotten to work on it in the offseason. i think if he spends the summer focused on improving his shot, we can see a Lamar

Odom with a decent jumpshot.

Olowokandi also had a stretch where he was a stud. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but theres a reason why we have statistics and the law of probability. You don't make future plans based on a small sample when a larger sample size states otherwise.
dvdrdiscs

Postby bumrusherer on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 am

knm131 wrote:
JSM wrote:
Real Deal wrote:Trade Odom to Charlotte for their #9 pick and Nazr Mohammed.

Draft Brandon Rush. He will play defense and grab boards, and won't be a no-show when it's time for us to call on him. No blown layups, either.

C - Bynum/Mohammed
PF - Gasol/Turiaf
SF - Rush/Ariza
SG - Kobe/Vujacic
PG - Fisher/Farmar

Get rid of Radmanovic for a first-rounder, or trade him and Walton in a package for another defensive power forward or center. Waive Mbenga, Karl, and threaten Mihm's life to NOT take his player option...and we'll be GREAT for 2009.

Rush?! Kansas players are nearly as bad as members of the Boston Celtics. As a Memphis fan, I highly object.

Only problem is that that line still lacks a #2 option. And by #2, I'm not talking about the guy after Kobe who will score the second most points in the regular season.

I'm talking pecking order. The guy who, when Kobe is off, will take the initiative and MAKE things happen. Will make a defensive play, get the ball into a hot player's hands, or make the basket himself. The only guy who maybe has potential is Farmar.

But we need more, or we'll be a great reg season team, and a slowly worsening team in the postseason once again as Pau wilters under pressure as the #2 guy.

A #2 option would not be as important because the defense would improve immensely with Rush and Bynum added to the line up.

The thing that killed us this series wasnt our lacking of a #2. It was our lack of being able to stop the Celtics scoring on us at will when they had any sort of momentum.
A 4-0 run quickly became a 10-0 run and so forth. Bynum and Rush added to the team would help squash that.
bumrusherer

Postby troublesome on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:43 am

Jajwa wrote:That's why I laugh at the idea that the Lakers are invincible with Fisher/Farmar at the PG spots.

Neither can play defense against Deron William's Jazz who were very close to beating us with a couple different plays in game 5. Then with momentum a win in game 6 and no Finals for L.A.

- PG must be improved along with SF this year.

We're perfect in three starting spots. The other two are up for discussion.

PG- Hinrich
SG- Bryant
SF- Nocioni
PF- Gasol
C- Bynum

I wonder if that would be enough...

I think Hinrich will definitely improve our team, but I don't think he can guard D. Williams either. Not too many pgs can.
troublesome

Postby wallangong on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:43 am

dvdrdiscs wrote:
wallangong wrote:

Odom scored 4 points...

a couple years ago he shot over 37% from 3 while taking over 200 3-pointers. he's had a jumpshot, he just hasn't gotten to work on it in the offseason. i think if he spends the summer focused on improving his shot, we can see a Lamar

Odom with a decent jumpshot.

Olowokandi also had a stretch where he was a stud. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but theres a reason why we have statistics and the law of probability. You don't make future plans based on a small sample when a larger sample size states otherwise.

i was just saying a jumpshot wouldn't be coming out of nowhere. i'm not saying Odom is going to shoot 40% from 3 next year, but while he may have mental lapses i do believe the guy would work hard in the offseason to improve knowing he'll be playing SF.

i'm not totally opposed to trading Lamar, but if we start next season with him at SF i'd still pick us as favorites to win the championship.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby khmrP on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:45 am

How can anyone be so High on Rush already...hes a rookie thats not even projected to be a lottery pick. I dont think a ROOKIE is going to save us anything soon.
khmrP

Postby KB8SD on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:56 am

The Lakers got to get rid off Odom and his $15 million dollar expring contract will attract a bunch of team.At the same time though trading him for a young player or a high draft pick isnt the right move.This Laker team needs to pick up tough defensive veterans like Ron Artest or James Posey.Joe Dumars did say that everyone on the Pistons would be available this summer and I would love to trade Odom for Tayshaun Prince but that's really a pipe dream at this point.Who knows maybe Memphis will want more salary cap relief and will make a deal to give us Mike Miller.
KB8SD

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors