LO Trade Bait This Summer? (Sun-Sentinel p.16)

Postby KobeNo1 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:04 am

what about The Matrix?
KobeNo1

Postby kobejon on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:04 am

YOU DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GET RID OF ODOM UNTIL YOU SEE HOW HE FITS WITH BYNUM AND GASOL

IF ANYTHING, YOU DO NOT TRADE HIM UNTIL MIDSEASON AT THE EARLIEST
A.T.G.R.O.O
kobejon

Postby troublesome on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:06 am

bumrusherer wrote:
knm131 wrote:
JSM wrote:
Real Deal wrote:Trade Odom to Charlotte for their #9 pick and Nazr Mohammed.

Draft Brandon Rush. He will play defense and grab boards, and won't be a no-show when it's time for us to call on him. No blown layups, either.

C - Bynum/Mohammed
PF - Gasol/Turiaf
SF - Rush/Ariza
SG - Kobe/Vujacic
PG - Fisher/Farmar

Get rid of Radmanovic for a first-rounder, or trade him and Walton in a package for another defensive power forward or center. Waive Mbenga, Karl, and threaten Mihm's life to NOT take his player option...and we'll be GREAT for 2009.

Rush?! Kansas players are nearly as bad as members of the Boston Celtics. As a Memphis fan, I highly object.

Only problem is that that line still lacks a #2 option. And by #2, I'm not talking about the guy after Kobe who will score the second most points in the regular season.

I'm talking pecking order. The guy who, when Kobe is off, will take the initiative and MAKE things happen. Will make a defensive play, get the ball into a hot player's hands, or make the basket himself. The only guy who maybe has potential is Farmar.

But we need more, or we'll be a great reg season team, and a slowly worsening team in the postseason once again as Pau wilters under pressure as the #2 guy.

A #2 option would not be as important because the defense would improve immensely with Rush and Bynum added to the line up.

The thing that killed us this series wasnt our lacking of a #2. It was our lack of being able to stop the Celtics scoring on us at will when they had any sort of momentum.
A 4-0 run quickly became a 10-0 run and so forth. Bynum and Rush added to the team would help squash that.

Am I the only person who thinks having both Rush and Ariza is redundant? I admit that I haven't followed Rush closely, but imo, he is a good defender who is very raw on the offensive end. Sounds like Ariza to me. I'd rather take a chance on Artest who can play both sides of the ball.
Last edited by troublesome on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
troublesome

Postby gill on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:08 am

KobeNo1 wrote:what about The Matrix?

We don't have the money to resign the Matrix. We're basically renting him just for one season.
gill

Postby sleepin4matty on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:13 am

wallangong wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
wallangong wrote:
Jajwa wrote:You don't develop a jumpshot seemingly out of nowhere though after all these years.

Placing Odom at SF would be the equivalent of telling Boston, pack the paint until the cows come home. We tried it remember?

The first game we played against Boston....

Odom scored 4 points...

a couple years ago he shot over 37% from 3 while taking over 200 3-pointers. he's had a jumpshot, he just hasn't gotten to work on it in the offseason. i think if he spends the summer focused on improving his shot, we can see a Lamar

Odom with a decent jumpshot.

Olowokandi also had a stretch where he was a stud. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but theres a reason why we have statistics and the law of probability. You don't make future plans based on a small sample when a larger sample size states otherwise.

i was just saying a jumpshot wouldn't be coming out of nowhere. i'm not saying Odom is going to shoot 40% from 3 next year, but while he may have mental lapses i do believe the guy would work hard in the offseason to improve knowing he'll be playing SF.

i'm not totally opposed to trading Lamar, but if we start next season with him at SF i'd still pick us as favorites to win the championship.

You and a lot of other people, me included.
sleepin4matty

Postby sleepin4matty on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:14 am

gill wrote:

We don't have the money to resign the Matrix. We're basically renting him just for one season.

Say no to Marion. Dude wants money and recognition. Two things he won't get much of here playing behind Kobe.
sleepin4matty

Postby Brand New on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:16 am

Can't we possibly revisit the three way deal that would of landed us Gerald Wallace.
"Right now, we have a mentality that we are striving for perfection." Lamar Odom
Brand New

Postby wallangong on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 am

Tha Game wrote:Can't we possibly revisit the three way deal that would of landed us Gerald Wallace.

i have a short list of players i can think of trading Odom for. not saying there aren't more, but there are only a few that are possible and i would do. Wallace is definitely around the top of that list!

Dude can play nasty D, run the floor, jump outta the building, and even knock down the 3.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby JTC on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:27 am

sleepin4matty wrote:
gill wrote:

Say no to Marion. Dude wants money and recognition. Two things he won't get much of here playing behind Kobe.

Its too bad because those points aside hes the perfect fit at SF
And A child shall lead us......... Andrew Bynum

Atheist statistics
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=T27kB4Bjb ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg7IMjlbPbA
JTC

Postby gill on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:30 am

JTC wrote:
sleepin4matty wrote:
gill wrote:

Its too bad because those points aside hes the perfect fit at SF

Can shoot the 3 (as ugly as it may be). Decent defender. GRABS LOTS OF OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS.

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. :man5:

Well, who knows... maybe Kobe can convince him this summer. :man1:
gill

Postby Old Fashioned on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:31 am

John3:16 wrote:I've been one of Odom's harshest critics for 3 years now. But the way he's played since the ASG, we'd be fools to cut ties with him. Sign him to a cheaper contract ($8 - 9 million per year).

Gasol, Bynum, Odom frontline is better then any front line in the league. Let's see what we can do with it and enjoy the ride.

HES NOT WORTH 9mil dude, maybe 6-7
Old Fashioned

Postby dvdrdiscs on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 am

kobejon wrote:YOU DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GET RID OF ODOM UNTIL YOU SEE HOW HE FITS WITH BYNUM AND GASOL

Again I ask, what is there to wait and see? It's like saying we should stick Coby Karl at center and see if it works. It obviously won't work. Why? Because basic fundamental basketball says a center should be the tallest guy and can board. Hence there is no point in "waiting to see if he fits."

In the same regards, a SF needs to spread the floor for the PF and C to operate. He needs to be able to hit the midrange, 3 point shoot, slash, and board as well as play defense. Odom cannot do most of those things so how can he fit? An 8 year veteran like him will not develop those skills in one summer either.
dvdrdiscs

Postby Jajwa on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:15 pm

The slash part bothers me though. Guys like Shane Battier cannot really slash from that position.
Jajwa

Postby wallangong on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:23 pm

dvdrdiscs wrote:
kobejon wrote:YOU DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT GET RID OF ODOM UNTIL YOU SEE HOW HE FITS WITH BYNUM AND GASOL

Again I ask, what is there to wait and see? It's like saying we should stick Coby Karl at center and see if it works. It obviously won't work. Why? Because basic fundamental basketball says a center should be the tallest guy and can board. Hence there is no point in "waiting to see if he fits."

In the same regards, a SF needs to spread the floor for the PF and C to operate. He needs to be able to hit the midrange, 3 point shoot, slash, and board as well as play defense. Odom cannot do most of those things so how can he fit? An 8 year veteran like him will not develop those skills in one summer either.

since the Gasol trade Odom has been one of our better defenders. you say he hasn't improved anything, that's ridiculous. anyone who didn't notice his vastly improved defense after that trade is either crazy or just choosing not to acknowledge it. in the Finals nobody played defense, nobody.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby spitty on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 pm

The problem is we know we're going to make it to the Playoffs next season...so we could really careless how the players perform in the regular season. We need to increase depth with more mentally tough guys and defensive guys. Either that or get defensive coach.
spitty

Postby karlmalonefan on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:22 pm

UKUGA wrote:Cap Question:

Can Odom be dumped to a team that's below the cap (Charlotte?) without having to trade him on a dollar-for-dollar basis?

Thanks,

UKUGA
yes, unless they will go over the cap to obtain him. One thing I've been wondering: LO got a trade kicker when he was traded here. If he is traded again will that happen again because he's still playing on that same contract.
karlmalonefan

Postby emplay on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:57 pm

bobcats aren't under the cap
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby bb7793 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:46 pm

ok I have an odd possibility that I just thought of. Would you guys consider a swap of LO and I guess Vlad to Denver for Kmart and their 1st round pick.?

Not sure if they would take Vlad but I know they would take Odom because they like his skill set and they need a distributer with AI and Melo. Their pick is around #20 so we could still pick up a good player such as Brandon Rush, Kyle weaver or maybe Bill Walker. Just an outside idea that I havent heard anyone throw out there. Kmart can play the 3 and is defensive upgrade. We dont need him to play many minutes and he brings instant toughness to the squad. Dont shoot me for the idea. Just putting it out there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"i was gonna rip his heart out, im the best ever. im the most brutal, viscious, and most ruthless champion theres every been. my style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, im just furocious i want your heart, i want to eat his children. Praise Be To ALLAH!!"

- Mike Tyson
bb7793

Postby djblisk on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:20 pm

You guys are going waaaayyyy overboard here.

Lamar and Gasol had a bad series.

they did well against denver, utah, and san antonio and played well during the season as well..

Boston was a better defensive, physical team that made them shy away from the finals limelight.

Hopefully, their maturity and experience level will be better next year.
djblisk

Postby djblisk on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:21 pm

Kobe also had a bad series... but I don't see anybody trying to trade him on here.
djblisk

Postby last stand on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:21 pm

djblisk wrote:Kobe also had a bad series... but I don't see anybody trying to trade him on here.

nobody should want gasol traded

but lamar does need to go

for the simple fact we need someone who can create his own shot and shots for others besides kobe

the whole

kobe spoonfeeding everyone for dunks and 3's doesn't work when the other team decides to quadruple team him and make the other guys make plays for each other
last stand

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:10 pm

djblisk wrote:You guys are going waaaayyyy overboard here.

Lamar and Gasol had a bad series.

they did well against denver, utah, and san antonio and played well during the season as well..

Boston was a better defensive, physical team that made them shy away from the finals limelight.

Hopefully, their maturity and experience level will be better next year.

In large part wanting to trade LO has little to do with his Boston series and everything to do with the fact that Drew is coming back and everyone is wondering how LO will fit in. On top of that our perimeter defense got majorly exposed and we need to bring in help. You bring a difference maker on that side of the ball, odds are he is a starter and that leaves LO out of the loop.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby kobe_008 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:31 pm

If ever we wud trade with bobcats i hope it includes G.Wallace and their draft pick.then we pick IBAKA
kobe_008

Postby Jajwa on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Anybody else considered the fact that Odom will likely retire if he leaves L.A.? He said something like that when asked about an extension. I think he'd make a perfect long-term SF/PF backup for years to come if he took a salary cut.

I think you guys may have to study other parts of the roster to improve with.

Just like Kwame you have to learn to turn crap into gold. Chicago is the only situation I've found that allows that kind of turn around.

Maybe just maybe a Sasha Vujajic sign and trade could help as well but only so much I'd say.
Jajwa

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:01 pm

And here come the rumors...

ESPN's Chad Ford: With the Lakers flaming out in the Finals, it didn't take long for speculation about Lamar Odom to begin. A number of teams covet Odom because of his expiring contract.

I'd expect the Lakers to hear from the Nets (for Richard Jefferson), the Bulls (for Andres Nocioni), the Kings (for Ron Artest) and Memphis (for Mike Miller).

The Lakers and Grizzlies, as you might remember, have a history.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors