LO Trade Bait This Summer? (Sun-Sentinel p.16)

Postby CheezStake on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:09 am

LO7cK35 wrote:as good as odom and gasol play together why would we want to trade him.

dallas played a great game today and we still pulled it out mainly because of the huge play from the odom-gasol connection.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :bow:
CheezStake

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:11 am

LO7cK35 wrote:as good as odom and gasol play together why would we want to trade him.

dallas played a great game today and we still pulled it out mainly because of the huge play from the odom-gasol connection.

What LO7cK35 just said! :bow:

Some trade scenarios I believe but there isn't even a hint of who we'd be trading with, for whom, how it would work with LO's 14 mill that has to match up within 75%. None of it seems to make any kind of sense whatsoever. Just wait for Gumby if you want to find out real info about trades, signings and injuries.

LO may very well be gone next year, but I don't think it will happen until the trade deadline. I think the Lakers will want to see what they've got as Vash and others have said. It doesn't make sense to get rid of a player of his caliber until you have more knowledge of how he will work out with Bynum and Gasol.

As stated, he can't resign with us unless he takes a pay cut. I think he will be willing to if they continue to contend for a championship. Personally, I think LO is finally truly content on this current team. The Gasol acquisition has done wonders for him. He literally looks like a different player. He was playing fairly well with Bynum here, but now he looks like he's bursting at the seams with joy playing alongside Gasol. He's just completely rejuvenated.

I don't think he wants to go anywhere or do anything that will alter what he's got going right now. He's gotten paid very, very well over the past 5 years or so. He shouldn't have to take a huge pay cut, but a moderate one should be acceptable. Somewhere closer to 9 mill a year is probably what will be offered.
Lakerjones

Postby borri on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:14 am

gill wrote:C'mon Lamar... take a paycut!

Yup. 14 mil is a heck of alot to pay for a 4th option come next year.
borri

Postby Lqv2015 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:18 am

A serious question. Why can't Kobe?

PS, I'm kinda stupid. :man10:
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:39 am

If Lamar wants to take a paycut to stay I'm all for it. 8 mil or so seems about right to me. It's not about us needing to trade him, it's about us having to cut money from somewhere and Lamar being the guy that makes too much, if he makes less we have no problems.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:45 am

Weezy wrote:If Lamar wants to take a paycut to stay I'm all for it. 8 mil or so seems about right to me. It's not about us needing to trade him, it's about us having to cut money from somewhere and Lamar being the guy that makes too much, if he makes less we have no problems.

What he said.
borri

Postby low on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:57 am

Weezy wrote:If Lamar wants to take a paycut to stay I'm all for it. 8 mil or so seems about right to me. It's not about us needing to trade him, it's about us having to cut money from somewhere and Lamar being the guy that makes too much, if he makes less we have no problems.
low

Postby yong on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:01 am

agreed. 8-9 m sounds good for both parties.
odom won't be able to get any higher salary from other teams anyway.
now i just want to send walton away instead of odom.
we are trying to be the best team ever, and win more championships than celtics. it doesn't make any sense to trade odom and play ariza instead.
pay the luxury tax.

do you guys realize that the money from merchandise/ tickets etc etc >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. salaries?

the salaries those players make are minute fractions of what the franchise earns.

i will honestly despise buss if he wants to trade odom away to save money.
yong

Postby gill on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:07 am

Lqv2015 wrote:

A serious question. Why can't Kobe?

PS, I'm kinda stupid. :man10:

Kobe = first option, superstar = worthy of first option, superstar money
Lamar = 4th option, almost making the same money as Gasol = not worth that much once Bynum gets back
gill

Postby LVLAKERFAN on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:29 am

I don't doubt what your source tells you, but I think they could be wrong.

I'm not saying it's impossible that he's traded, but with all these teams tanking to get some young talent, why would they want to get Odom.

Lakers would probably do it given that they can get a nice young talent.

Only time a lottery team will trade an early draft pick is if they are going to be a contender.

Boston became a contender with KG, the 5th pick was garbage, and seattle only did because they got rid of Ray Allen's remaining 53 Million owed over the next three years in place of Wally's 25 Millino over the next two years.

A lot of things would have to take place for it to happen.
"Baron Davis is a good friend of mine, Carlos Boozer is a good friend of mine, Ron Artest is someone I've known since I was a kid … those are guys we could've gotten," Bryant said. "For whatever reason, it didn't happen."
LVLAKERFAN

Postby extreme on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:32 am

Wait till he plays together with Drew-Pau-Kobe... Then we should make our conclusion, not now. He hasn't played with all three of those guys at the same time on the floor so...
extreme
ClubLakers Rep: Belgium

Postby Venti Quattro on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:46 am

Lamar Odom's fate as a Los Angeles Lakers player will be decided only when Andrew Bynum returns to the line-up. His role will completely change, going from power forward to small forward, he will be depended on more for his perimeter defense and offense instead of his rebounding and interior offense. With Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum at the top of the key and in the post respectively, will LO be able to hit the perimeter jumper? Will he be able to switch between his and Kobe Bryant's man on defense and stay in front? If he can make the adjustments, he will make a case to be extended, if not...he will be traded for a better fit.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby number8 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:11 am

LVLAKERFAN wrote:I don't doubt what your source tells you, but I think they could be wrong.

I'm not saying it's impossible that he's traded, but with all these teams tanking to get some young talent, why would they want to get Odom.

Lakers would probably do it given that they can get a nice young talent.

Only time a lottery team will trade an early draft pick is if they are going to be a contender.

Boston became a contender with KG, the 5th pick was garbage, and seattle only did because they got rid of Ray Allen's remaining 53 Million owed over the next three years in place of Wally's 25 Millino over the next two years.

A lot of things would have to take place for it to happen.

Agreed. This is NOT like Seattle trading Ray Allen to Boston. Seattle was a bad team trading a high-dollar player to a team that wanted to contend right now. The Lakers are a contending team right now that would be trading a high-dollar player to a bad team. It would be the complete opposite unless the bad team pulled off a KG-like trade in conjunction with trading for Lamar.

The Lakers went to great lengths this past year to show Kobe they were serious about contending for a title right now. When you look at last summer's draft, how many of those players are making immediate impacts to their teams? If any of those rookies were putting up the kind of numbers Lamar is putting up this year, they would be the consensus ROY.

The only way I could see management coming to decision about trading Lamar this early if they are at an impasse regarding his salary extension.
number8

Re: Lamar Odom Trade Bait This Summer?

Postby Old Fashioned on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:30 am

vaheblings wrote:I can't tell you where i herd it from, but i could tell you that the Lakers will trade Lamar Odom this summer, regardless if we win a title or not. Take it how you wanna take it, but from what i herd is that he will be packaged to a team with his 14million expiring contract for a high draft pick. Now that's all i was told from a legit source who i met last night. It would be like the Ray Allen trade to Boston for Green. Now if you look at it the teams who will have high draft picks this year is:

Heat
Clippers
Sonics
Grizzles
Bobcats
Bucks
Knicks

There must be a player the lakers are tageting but who? Mayo, Love, Beasly, Gordon, Rose, its a great draft this year. If you think about it, it all makes sense Odom is gonna want another huge contract, but why give it to him when u got Bynum/Gasol/Kobe ? Like i said this is what i herd and i wanted 2 share with you, believe me or not, i dont make up BS.

I sure hope so.
Old Fashioned

Postby PnOySneakerBoi24 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

i dont think they're planning to trade him anytime soon after the way hes been playing
PnOySneakerBoi24

Postby massmass on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:36 am

they'd be stupid to trade someone who could possibly be the best 3rd option and definite best 4th option...who is unselfish and rebounds.
massmass

Postby Mr. Sampton on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:48 am

Venti Quattro wrote:Lamar Odom's fate as a Los Angeles Lakers player will be decided only when Andrew Bynum returns to the line-up. His role will completely change, going from power forward to small forward, he will be depended on more for his perimeter defense and offense instead of his rebounding and interior offense. With Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum at the top of the key and in the post respectively, will LO be able to hit the perimeter jumper? Will he be able to switch between his and Kobe Bryant's man on defense and stay in front? If he can make the adjustments, he will make a case to be extended, if not...he will be traded for a better fit.

I couldn't agree more. Perfectly said.
Noah Graham/Getty Images
Mr. Sampton

Postby DALakeshow on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:15 am

Venti Quattro wrote:Lamar Odom's fate as a Los Angeles Lakers player will be decided only when Andrew Bynum returns to the line-up. His role will completely change, going from power forward to small forward, he will be depended on more for his perimeter defense and offense instead of his rebounding and interior offense. With Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum at the top of the key and in the post respectively, will LO be able to hit the perimeter jumper? Will he be able to switch between his and Kobe Bryant's man on defense and stay in front? If he can make the adjustments, he will make a case to be extended, if not...he will be traded for a better fit.

There is no guarantee that Gasol and Bynum will even work. Especially on defense. Gasol is not quick enough to defend power forwards.

Also just because Lamar will start the game at SF does not mean he will play that position for 40 minutes. The Lakers will switch things up throught the course of the game and he will switch to PF for stretches and play alongside Gasol or Bynum up front with the other on the bench.

If the Lakers dont want him, im sure a team like the Cavaliers and Warriors would appreciate what he brings to the table.

Nocioni and Kirk Hinrich for Lamar? Is this a Dave Chappelle skit

What have they done this season. I dont see Nocioni moving to PF if Bynum or Gasol have injuries. Both of these guys are overated on Laker forums.
DALakeshow

Postby lotus on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:02 pm

DALakeshow wrote:

Nocioni and Kirk Hinrich for Lamar? Is this a Dave Chappelle skit

I would make this trade within seconds!
lotus

Postby Kou on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:32 pm

I'd trade Lamar for the pick that brings in Derrick Rose.
Kou

Postby UKUGA on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:31 pm

It seems like the Bobcats might be willing to trade another pick for a guy like Odom.

They really don't need youth, and might feel like with Odom to go with J. Rich, they could create sort of a "Golden State East".
"The Lakers need more fans like you!"
- Gary Vitti, to me, in a Cleveland restaurant
UKUGA

Postby Helljumper on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:35 pm

UKUGA wrote:It seems like the Bobcats might be willing to trade another pick for a guy like Odom.

They really don't need youth, and might feel like with Odom to go with J. Rich, they could create sort of a "Golden State East".

Felton, Richardson, Wallace, Odom, Okafor would be a scary team in the East.

But I'd only trade Odom for a pick if it were a top 3 pick. Even then, I'd hesitate because of Odom's play and the chemistry that he has with this team.
Helljumper

Postby Oz on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:30 pm

odom has been good and consistent. if they trade him then that would suck
The only reason i still believe in myself , is because no one else does
Oz

Postby kray28 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:02 pm

If Lamar can keep this up....he's not getting traded.
kray28

Postby Darth Bynumite on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:04 pm

If Lamar shines in the playoffs with Bynum at C, Gasol at PF and Odom at SF, then I see him staying. If we get a great offer then I think we will consider it, however I don't think we will go around like crazy trying to shop him. The only other thing is that Odom will need to take a pay cut if he stays, because we won't be giving him a big paycheck.

Odom has great chemistry with the team, he's also a good rebounder and a good passer of the ball.
Darth Bynumite

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors