Wizards trying to trade for Caron Butler

Wizards trying to trade for Caron Butler

Postby Sirron on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:38 am

Here is the article posted today fellas....

Posted on Tue, Jul. 12, 2005

Wizards seeking Lakers' Butler in deal

By David Aldridge

Inquirer Staff Writer

LAS VEGAS - The Washington Wizards, stung by the loss of free agent Larry Hughes to the Cavaliers, may be able to stanch the sting.

Sources involved with the discussions say that the Wizards are talking to the Los Angeles Lakers about a sign-and-trade deal in which forward Kwame Brown, the top pick in the 2001 NBA draft, would go to the Lakers in exchange for swingman Caron Butler.

The Wizards have other options on the table that could bring them a much-needed big man in return for Brown, but Butler would make a lot of sense.

Butler has been available during most of his yearlong stay in Los Angeles. If the Lakers move him and, as expected, release forward Brian Grant in order to save money under the luxury tax, they would have precious little to show for their blockbuster trade of Shaquille O'Neal to Miami.

At home in Portland? Nate McMillan looks odd in a Portland Trail Blazers polo shirt.

But here he is, at the Las Vegas Summer League, looking at his backcourt of the future - Sebastian Telfair and first-round pick Martell Webster. That may be about all McMillan has to look forward to in the immediate future because the Blazers are officially rebuilding. Well, that and the $25 million that owner Paul Allen will be sending McMillan's way.

Seeing McMillan with the Blazers and not with the Seattle Sonics - the team he played with and coached for 19 years - is odd. But it also feels right.

"I was just feeling that maybe it's time to go, maybe it's time to change, go a different direction," he said. "At the beginning of [last] season, I had prepared myself. Everybody was saying I was on the hot seat. I heard 'dead man walking' and all of that stuff that was said. So I kind of prepared myself for the possibility that if I had to move, it wouldn't be a surprise to me."

But the Sonics surprised just about everyone by winning the Northwest Division and making the second round of the playoffs. And when Ray Allen agreed to an $80 million contract at the start of free agency, many assumed that McMillan would stay. But he turned down what he deemed a fair offer to move about a half-hour (by plane) south. Of course, it's a world removed in terms of atmosphere. The Blazers have put the "t" in turmoil.

Part of the reason for his move is that McMillan wasn't certain about the Sonics' future. Even after agreeing to terms with Allen, Seattle has eight free agents.

But the bigger reason for the move may have been the Sonics' unwillingness to give McMillan a permanent position in the organization after he was done coaching.

"The money was fair for a coach coming in," McMillan said. "But for someone that's been there 19 years - I couldn't risk it. If I'm here 23 years and I walk away or I get let go, you forget about me like [Gary] Payton. Or you forget about me like Shaquille [O'Neal]."

Kind of confirms the Kwame Brown talk, but I hope we can get more than that for Caron. I think he's going to have a great year, and Brown is still a headcase. And of course, Caron punched Sucky! :man1:
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby lakb8 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:39 am

I dont like this deal. Caron was great last year and is still developing as a player. Caron will also propably get better under Phil Jax, since we all know that Phil makes players better when he coaches them.

Dont we ALREADY HAVE 2 centers (Mihm,Bynum), what good is it getting another?

Future star from Canada.
lakb8

Postby The Laker Link on Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:04 am

lakb8 wrote:I dont like this deal. Caron was great last year and is still developing as a player. Caron will also propably get better under Phil Jax, since we all know that Phil makes players better when he coaches them.

Dont we ALREADY HAVE 2 centers (Mihm,Bynum), what good is it getting another?

I don't like this deal either....because I like the K-Mart rumor more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :man1: :man1: :man1:
The Laker Link

Postby G|B|G|B on Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:21 am

mitch if you do this
YOUR AN IDIOT!!
G|B|G|B
ClubHeatHoops.com Administrator

Postby Danny Ainge on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:04 pm

G|B|G|B wrote:mitch if you do this
YOUR AN IDIOT!!
And if you don't...your still an idiot, just an idiot that gets to keep your job for another day.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:10 pm

You guys should think about it. The more I think the better is the idea of a swoop. Kwame Brown is underrated. Kwame Brown will excel with a new environment. Ben Wallace, Símmons, Hamilton, Webber and others have been called bust in Washington and have been great players. Butler is nothing special and next year he will get some big offers and we would have to overpay or we run danger of losing him for less. Its a risky trade but which team is going to offer us a great bigman for nothing? no one. You have to make some risky trades. Nobody will help us.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakerstuntman on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:11 pm

dont we have bynum at center, we should trade butler for a pg!
lakerstuntman

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:16 pm

lakerstuntman wrote:dont we have bynum at center, we should trade butler for a pg!

Kwame at PF. NO we shouldn´t trade our tradebait for a PG when a bunch of them are available for the MLE. Its just smarter to go after a bigman. YOU CAN NEVER GET ENAUGH OF EM.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby DR GHOO on Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:00 pm

I agree fella's but I'm still scared of the baggage of Kwame. I really love Caron's game and I just imagine him flourishing under PJ's system. But I have to concede KB8's point. We need more big's and especially ones that have talent. I've only seen him play a couple of times and have just read about the other stuff. Has anyone else really seen this kid in action?
DR GHOO

Postby smarty on Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:54 pm

Some members of LakersGround posted that ESPN has reported a trade by the Lakers for kwame as final.
.......as the world gone mad. PLAYSTATION3
smarty

Postby eNlight on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:29 am

YAY so spectacular...... yay we have kwame brown.....
eNlight

Postby orido on Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:34 am

hmmm
orido

Postby Dime Dropper on Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:52 am

Sure, Butler is an amazing player, he'll probably get better, and become an All-Star, but what good is he on this team of he doesn't fit well within the players the Lakers are built upon right now? We need a big body down low, at least a little of a low post presence, and who's to say Brown won't become a great player under Phil Jackson? In about 5 years, Kwame can very well be as productive as a Jermaine O'Neal. 5 years, think about Bynum, a prospect. I think fans are forgetting, we traded Shaquille because he wasn't getting any younger and the team wasn't getting any better. This is a re-building process and we seemed to have drifted away from that perspective over the off-season.
Dime Dropper

Postby DNP on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:56 am

when kobe was out, caron was the one doing most of the hard work along with odom. i really don't like this trade idea by mitch, not getting any excitement from it at all. caron is a very good player; can score, rebound, and finish hard. it would be more exciting if it's the other way around, caron coming into the lakers in trade for brown.
DNP

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:31 am

Caron an amazing player? Doing most of the work? He put up nice offensive numbers when Odom was out. That's it. His D was atrocious, he turns over the ball through stupid offensive fouls all the time, and he's not a great shooter. If he can bring us a serviceable big man, then it's a great move. It will put Odom at SF and there are only a handful of SFs better than Odom in the league. A great trade if we don't lose too much else.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LakersCourt on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:04 pm

They can take Caron Butler, Vlade Divac

We get:

Kwame Brown

they sign:

Donyell marshall

we all win :jam2:

Right now, its just Poker playing right now. Washington is trying to see how much the Lakers value Kwame and see if they can suck as much out of us. I love Kwame Brown to death, and have since his high school days at Glynn Academy, however Caron, Chucky and a 1st rounder is way too much for Kwame. Caron and Vlade for Kwame and they should be grateful for that.
LakersCourt

Postby eNlight on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:09 pm

can caron go to washington and refuse to play like jim jackson, and sign back with us?
eNlight

Postby LakersCourt on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:49 pm

I highly highly doubt that. Caron is a classy guy, and wouldn't do that. Plus he is under contract, so I believe he could rechnically "refuse" and sit out a year, but why the heck would he do this, when he is in a contract year :man3: .
LakersCourt

Postby eNlight on Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:00 pm

LakersCourt wrote:I highly highly doubt that. Caron is a classy guy, and wouldn't do that. Plus he is under contract, so I believe he could rechnically "refuse" and sit out a year, but why the heck would he do this, when he is in a contract year :man3: .

oh thanks for answering my question.
eNlight

Postby Kingsama on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:01 pm

LakersCourt wrote:I highly highly doubt that. Caron is a classy guy, and wouldn't do that. Plus he is under contract, so I believe he could rechnically "refuse" and sit out a year, but why the heck would he do this, when he is in a contract year :man3: .

class or no class he would have to be a complete idiot to boycott a trade in a contract year...
Kingsama

Postby Sunny on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:11 am

:man6:
Sunny

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:08 am

Sunny wrote::man6:

Don't ever open up a wound like this again. Just stop it! :bang:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby borri on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:55 am

G|B|G|B wrote:mitch if you do this
YOUR AN IDIOT!!

Looks like this dude got it right. LOL. :bow:
borri

Postby Darth Bynumite on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 am

Could this be THE worst trade ever made?
Darth Bynumite

Postby borri on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:11 am

ChrisA wrote:Could this be THE worst trade ever made?

Nah. It's up there. I recall one, Vlade Divac for Kobe Bean Bryant. :bow:

LOL i went to the archives and checked what I thought of this trade......I was right after all!!!!!! :mhihi:
borri

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors