Antwain Barbour

Antwain Barbour

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:02 pm

Any of you guys remember him from Kentucky? I think he may be a SPL addition along with Bozeman, Horvath, Mo Charlo and Douthit.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby mm708 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:08 am

Could you give me scouting report on each of the players you have just mentioned?
mm708

Postby UsC/LaKeRs on Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:57 pm

I remember him. He was rated as the best juco player in the nation back in 2001. He was good enough to make the USA SELECT TEAM as a junior college player. His stock skyrocketed after that. He was very inconsistent at times during his tenure at Kentucky, where many of the Wildcat fans thought he would be a superstar.

Here's his scouting report from nbadraft.net

Strengths: Owns a quick first step and is adept at taking defenders off the dribble ... Pure slasher who gets to the basket with ease. Capable of creating contact to pick up fouls. Once there he converts a high percentage of his free throws ... Very smooth player due to his wonderful body control. Looks as if he is playing effortlessly ... A coaches dream, has a great attitude towards the game and his work ethic shows it ... Possess excellent leaping ability (40-inch vertical) which makes him a terrific finisher in transition ... Has a great motor, plays well away from the ball ... Works well under the basket and gets a high number of his rebounds by out jumping opponents and pure hustle ... Unselfish. Barbour often drives to the basket and if the shot isn't there he looks for the open teammate ... Plays with great confidence and always remains competitive no matter what the score ... Above average defense for a junior college player due to quick hands, leaping ability, and good lateral quickness ... Mature player who takes his time when the ball is in his hands. Because of this he doesn't force too many shots ...

Weakness: Has had times where he plays inconsistent. One game he drops 20, the next game he struggles for 10, although this is usual for young players... Needs to become a better shooter from the perimeter, especially off the dribble, and needs a more consistent jumper from the outside ... Has had some problems with turnovers so working on better ball protection is a must ... His upper body strength at this point is still a little undeveloped although the reason could be that he is still growing into his body ...While defensively he has all the physical tools, he's still learning the basic fundamentals such as better anticipation skills and playing the passing lanes ... Although he has grown tremendously since high school he looks to be 6-3 1/2 to 6-4 not his listed height of 6-6 which makes one wonder if he will be able to play the 2-guard position ... Not a threat from behind the three-point line where his inconsistency is even more apparent ...
UsC/LaKeRs

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:01 pm

I remember when he was playing in the minor leagues (CBA?) they were calling him the minor-league version of Rip Hamilton. As USC/Lakers' scouting report attests to, Barbour is long and lanky, plays effortlessly, has a silky-smooth shot and knows how to get to the basket. However, it seems like his only NBA asset is scoring which is commonplace in the NBA. He probably won't make the roster, but can give our team some timely scoring when necessary.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:08 pm

Barbour was amazing for Yakama. I followed them when Turiaf was with the team. Averaged 20.4 points, 4.4 boards, 2.8 assists, about 1.7 steals. He had a triple double in a game that Turiaf played in, if I remember correctly.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Return to Summer League 2013