BDG Exclusive: Interview with Smush Parker

BDG Exclusive: Interview with Smush Parker

Postby BDG on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:11 am

Smush Parker showed up at the Lakers-Grizzlies Summer Pro League game on Tuesday. I had the chance to sit down with him and talk about the past season and what to expect in the coming months.

BDG: After one year in the Triangle, how do you think you've developed and what should we expect different next year from you?

Smush Parker: Well the Triangle is a complicated offense to learn. Even Phil Jackson said it will take up to two years for one player to really understand the Triangle and be comfortable in it. So I think I did a pretty good job learning it the first year. I know I have a lot of adjustments to make as far as my game and learning the in's and out's about the Triangle but I look forward to next season and it's just going to get better from here on out.

BDG: You guys had a tough series with the Phoenix Suns to close out the year. How do you think you've developed from that point on?

Parker: You know, everthing was a learning experience. This year for myself was definitely a learning expierience. I definitely got a chance to play. My first playoff expierience, going up against the MVP of the league, Steve Nash, was a tough task, but like I said everything was a learning experience. All of us as a team got better. We grew as a team this year and we're going to make bigger moves next season.

BDG: What part of your game do you think needs most work at this point, because you still a young guy and there's still always room for improvement?

Parker: Just being more consistent. A floor leader, you know, a floor general. A consistent shooter, a consistent ballhandler, consistent teammate. All around, just being consistent in all aspects of the game.

BDG: Do you think that comes with confidence or experience or is it a combination of both?

Parker: Well you know, confidence comes with experience. So I would have to say experience. Last season with the Lakers was pretty much the first season that I actually got a chance to play in the NBA. Phil Jackson let me play and I played all 82 games and it was a learning experience for me. I will definitely go into next season a little bit more confident than I did coming into last season.

BDG: You guys just signed Vladimir Radmanovic. Do you think that will open the floor and do you think that will make it easier for the rest of the team having such a deadly shooter like that on the starting line-up?

Parker: I look forward to playing with Radmanovic because he's such a great outside threat. That will boost my assists up two [or] three assists a game, so I'm looking forward to setting him up for a couple jumpshots.

BDG: You had not one, but two big plays, hitting the three pointer and the steal on Steve Nash to end game four. How did it make you feel at the time?

Parker: Well at the time, it was exhilarating. Up until that point, I hadn't made a field goal. When I made the three, I was like, "Jesus, finally." And then when I got the steal, it just got overwhelming. It was a special moment for me, but I knew that the game wasn't over and that we had to finish up in overtime. Kobe Bryant stepped up the way he's supposed to, the way he does a lot of times and we came up with the victory.

BDG: From New York city, was it a big adjustment not just playing here in L.A. but living here last year?

Parker: Well the biggest adjustment was the traffic and how everything is spread out. L.A. in California is so spread out that you have to drive everywhere [and] you've got to sit 45 minutes in traffic just to get some place that should only take you 15 minutes. But that was the biggest adjustment for me. I'm used to being away from family, so that was pretty much it. Just adjusting to things not being open [for] 24 hours and just a spread out way of life here in L.A.

BDG: What do you think of Jordan Farmar and what you've seen of him so far?

Parker: I don't know anything about him and I haven't seen him play yet.

I told Smush it was good to see him at the Summer Pro League after he got his big break there last year.

Click here for more SPL Coverage.
Last edited by BDG on Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby ladam24 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:12 am

wow :man4:

That would have been awesome!

excellent interview, i was hoping he'd say his defence needs to be improved but ohh well.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby Frank The Tank on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:21 am

BDG, no questions about defense? :man2:
Frank The Tank

Postby kb8lak on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:23 am

Nice interview, very in depth.
kb8lak
Contributing Member

Postby 21_Blessings on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:28 am

Smush Parker wrote:I look forward to playing with Radmanovic because he’s such a great outside threat. That will boost my assists up two [or] three assists a game, so I’m looking forward to setting him up for a couple jumpshots.

:disagree: Smush's ego is immense. Good thing Smush is worrying about the things like his assist stat. He did not mention wanting to improve his defense once in that interview. God help the Lakers.

Farmar needs to take over and pronto.
21_Blessings

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:32 am

ya I also had hoped you ask him about his D and how he is gonna work out in the summer to improve his game.

thanks for the interview :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby BDG on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:44 am

Lakerman91 wrote:BDG, no questions about defense? :man2:
Well I asked him what he needed to improve most, figuring he'd mention defense if he felt he needed improvement. Guess not.

On an interesting note, I asked him the same question last year at the end of the SPL and he said "consistency" as well.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:52 am

BDG wrote:
Well I asked him what he needed to improve most, figuring he'd mention defense if he felt he needed improvement. Guess not.

On an interesting note, I asked him the same question last year at the end of the SPL and he said "consistency" as well.

maybe he doesn´t know that he sucks defensively.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby A Rush on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:52 am

BDG: What part of your game do you think needs most work at this point, because you still a young guy and there's still always room for improvement?

Parker: Just being more consistent. A floor leader, you know, a floor general. A consistent shooter, a consistent ballhandler, consistent teammate. All around, just being consistent in all aspects of the game.

Floor leader? Meh... I wouldn't hold my breath. If he is still a Laker in 2007, he'll most probably be backing up Farmar by then.
A Rush

Postby Frank The Tank on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:15 am

KB8@CL wrote:
BDG wrote:

Yea he does because I've sent him tons of messages on Myspace telling him he does. :man10:

Thanks for the interview BDG. :jam2:
Frank The Tank

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:20 am

Lakerman91 wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:
BDG wrote:

Yea he does because I've sent him tons of messages on Myspace telling him he does. :man10:

damn :man10:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Triumph Jelani on Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:39 am

i'm greedy like dat. i want more!!!!
Triumph Jelani

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:06 am

Nice work BDG :jam2:

I think Smush will continue to improve, he already has certain intangibles that you cant teach, and I think Phil sees that. If he can work on defense and hit outside shot, Smush will be a very solid PG. Anyone that thinks Farmar needs to start over him, that is ridiculous.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby kb the assassin on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:07 am

awsome interview :jam2: :jam2:

great job BDG :bow: :bow:
kb the assassin

Postby c.Lin on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 am

Great interview BDG. Thanks for the scoop. Pull Bynum aside while you're at it and get us an interview with him! :man12:
c.Lin

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:45 am

Lakerman91 wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:
BDG wrote:

Is that MySpace really him? If so, that's pretty funny cuz he's always posting these stupid bulletins about adding this or that person and they are some of the biggest grammatic abortions I've ever read.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Chivalry on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:09 am

Da Veinticuatro wrote:Nice work BDG :jam2:

I think Smush will continue to improve, he already has certain intangibles that you cant teach, and I think Phil sees that. If he can work on defense and hit outside shot, Smush will be a very solid PG. Anyone that thinks Farmar needs to start over him, that is ridiculous.

Yeah, people need to give the guy a break. Smush did say in an interview at season's end that the coaching staff had made some suggestions regarding defensive improvements. I'm sure he'll show some improvement.

And having competiton is a good thing. You learn a lot from who rises to the occasion and who withers (think of Kareem Rush when his option wasn't picked up). It must have been a nice kick in the pants for Smush to show up at the Pyramid and hear the audience cheer Farmar louder than even Andrew Bynum.
Chivalry

Re: BDG Exclusive: Interview with Smush Parker

Postby Mrdectown on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 am

BDG wrote:BDG: What do you think of Jordan Farmar and what you've seen of him so far?

Parker: I don't know anything about him and I haven't seen him play yet.

I told Smush it was good to see him at the Summer Pro League after he got his big break there last year.

Click here for more SPL Coverage.

Yea i bet you havent :man9:
Mrdectown

Postby Still A Dynasty on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:38 am

21_Blessings wrote:
Smush Parker wrote:I look forward to playing with Radmanovic because he’s such a great outside threat. That will boost my assists up two [or] three assists a game, so I’m looking forward to setting him up for a couple jumpshots.

:disagree: Smush's ego is immense. Good thing Smush is worrying about the things like his assist stat. He did not mention wanting to improve his defense once in that interview. God help the Lakers.

Farmar needs to take over and pronto.

He will...i Say but the all star break Farmar will be playing over 25 mins ppg at pg.
Still A Dynasty

Postby kentu_tiro on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:27 am

Great interview BDG. You should have asked him a few more questions:

1. Are you working on your pouting game this summer?
2. Did you already forget PJ's assignment to you during the exit interview? Working on your off the ball defense? You know.. no more standing around spectating when the ball in not in your man's hands.
3. How about any improvements in your man D? Getting scorched over and over by Steve Nash... Was there any lessons learned? Did it bother you at all and made you work on your man D?
4. This is the summer of improvement for you. The starting job is yours to lose come pre-season time. Why play streetball again recently when you should be focused more on developing your NBA game?
kentu_tiro

Postby TIME on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:53 am

I don't think it is ridiculous. Farmar already has two qualities needed in a PG that Smush does not have probably and never will...intelligence and mental toughness. I'm not arguing for Farmar to start, but I see more potential as a starter in Farmar than I do Smush.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:22 pm

Great interview BDG, thanks.

Since you said he gave the "consistency" answer last year as well, I'm guessing that's his text book answer for that question. Can't really go wrong saying you need to be more consistent.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KevDog on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:47 pm

JSM wrote:Great interview BDG, thanks.

Since you said he gave the "consistency" answer last year as well, I'm guessing that's his text book answer for that question. Can't really go wrong saying you need to be more consistent.

No word about his D, no word about the 6-36 flame out in the Phoenix series. Dude's arrogance is of the type that disallows him the ability to see his own shortcomings and work to diminish them. He's not, not ever will be a starting NBA player. He'll be shocked when Farmar takes over the starting spot at some point this season. I hope it's before the season starts.
There are some serious "NON"-Fans on this web site
KevDog

Postby jbiggs on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:24 pm

KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Frank The Tank on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:27 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Lakerman91 wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:
BDG wrote:

Is that MySpace really him? If so, that's pretty funny cuz he's always posting these stupid bulletins about adding this or that person and they are some of the biggest grammatic abortions I've ever read.
According to the groupie chick that always posts pics and talks about meeting the players it is real. Supposedly she did the HTML on his page. The grammatical errors just add to the feeling of authenticity. We all know Smush isn’t a rocket scientist.
Frank The Tank

Next

Return to Summer League 2013