BDG's SPL Exclusive: Lakers vs. Grizzlies [7/8/06]

Postby BDG on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:14 am

Got back late everyone, expect the report to be up real late tonight. :man12:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Kasumi on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:21 am

AG1507 wrote:Did anybody pick up a program with all the rosters? If so, could you please scan them or type them up? I'm interested in seeing the other teams' official rosters.

thanks

They are really disorganized this year, they didn't have a media packet for us. The rosters that they did have available were very spotty with info and didn't always list all the players.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby AG1507 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:28 am

Thanks missmyzte, I guess its to be expected. The SPL isn't very efficient or organized when it comes to giving information to the public. Their website is never updated until, literally, a day or two before the league starts.
AG1507

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:52 am

JSM wrote:Thanks a lot for the updates guy (especially Sky). Pinnock sounds very promising. Draft sleeper perhaps.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:04 am

lotus wrote:Interesting because that description reminds me of how Kareem used to play. The only difference is that when Kareem held the ball long, a double would come and he would find the open man, or if a double didn't come then he would finish with the sky hook.

I'm tempted to say that his hesitation appears that he is going through a checklist, maybe at the recommendation of Kareem. If so, then it is safe to assume that this check off process will get quicker and Bynum will be more decisive when he gets the ball.

I do agree that part of the reason was that his teamates weren't moving. But as I said earlier, he needs to make adjustments. If his teamates are never moving, then he needs to become selfish and take it to the rack and get fouled. His better ft form will give the team more points this way.

That being said I'm still amazed that he was able to score in double figures despite playing fewer minutes due to foul issues and not being as aggressive as he should be. IMHO he could have gone 20+ if he hadn't gotten into foul trouble. This kid is going to be amazing once he becomes comfortable and aggressive.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby snakepit on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:41 am

KB8@CL wrote:
JSM wrote:Thanks a lot for the updates guy (especially Sky). Pinnock sounds very promising. Draft sleeper perhaps.
Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

http://www.lakersland.it
snakepit

Postby BDG on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:48 am

UPDATED

See PG. 1

Hope you enjoy the report from Day 1. A lot of positives even in the loss. I had a good few minutes with Devin Green make sure you check it out.

Don't forget to meditate.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby halekulani on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:24 am

bdg's and sky's comments on farmar are noticeably different. :|
halekulani

Postby halekulani on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:25 am

nobody has anything to say about lawrence roberts? that man dominated the game numbers wise.
halekulani

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:29 am

halekulani wrote:nobody has anything to say about lawrence roberts? that man dominated the game numbers wise.

its Lakers Summer League forum. You might check a Memphis board. Who cares whether lawrence roberts dominated?

KB24
Site Admin

Postby flexxdzl on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:18 am

KB8@CL wrote:
halekulani wrote:nobody has anything to say about lawrence roberts? that man dominated the game numbers wise.

its Lakers Summer League forum. You might check a Memphis board. Who cares whether lawrence roberts dominated?
:jam2:
flexxdzl

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:30 am

So far, it's a good read BDG. I'm still reading your comments on Bynum, but my first comment is the SPL needs to go the direction of the Vegas League. Let these kids foul away. Singleton had 10 fouls yesterday. I don't see why they are such a stickler in the SPL about fouls.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:32 am

JSM wrote:So far, it's a good read BDG. I'm still reading your comments on Bynum, but my first comment is the SPL needs to go the direction of the Vegas League. Let these kids foul away. Singleton had 10 fouls yesterday. I don't see why they are such a stickler in the SPL about fouls.

Actually they do allow more than 6 fouls. The thing is that each foul after 6 comes with a technical foul shot.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:39 am

After reading the Farmar breakdown, I wish Lowry would have played. That would have been a far superior measuring stick for Farmar, than Kinsey proved to be.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Sky on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:48 am

halekulani wrote:bdg's and sky's comments on farmar are noticeably different. :|

Only in two key areas. Post entry passing and defense. BDG says Farmar was hitting Bynum with crisp post entry passes, I say he only hit Bynum in transition, rarely within the tri. Farmar's first post entry pass was much too low, to. After that Bynum had position and Farmar was still reluctant to pass it in.

On defense BDG is right that Farmar's defense was better in the second half, but it still wasn't that good imo. He was still gdtting beat off the dribble, still going under every screen, still late in closing back on his man.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Re: BDG's SPL Exclusive: Lakers vs. Grizzlies [7/8/06]

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:54 am

BDG wrote:Jordan Farmar
...His defense in the first half was mediocre, allowing his man to get by him a couple times.

He was not allowing his man to get by him. He was trying to shade his man to his teamates. Unfortunately his teamates didn't know how to trap. :disagree: It ended up making him look soft.

His education in Ben Howland's defensive system has given him a level of understanding that his teamates don't have.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Sky on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 am

His man beat him off the dribble and then Farmar ran beside him. He did get beat. He shaded as well, but funneling only works if you have a team D scheme committed to it. He can't expect that with guys that are struggling to learn the tri and have only the most fundamental D schemes. I want to see proof that Farmar can man up and stay in front of his guy consistently. I didn't see that yesterday. Went under every screen, got beat off the dribble.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby la3346 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:40 am

k0pr0phage wrote:
Freakout wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:
flexxdzl wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:So the SPL team was running the triangle?

That could be the reason for bynum being a little slow..he might be over thinking...at some point it will all click for him..hopefully he gets alot of run in the SPL and in preseason...

On the other hand, he should know the triangle better than anyone else on the floor...

How does that help when the other guys (other than Green) are clueless.

Well, Wafer was there, too. Then again, I'm not sure what your point is. Why would Bynum be hesitant because other people don't know what they're doing?

It's really simple. If even one of his teammates doesn't move to a spot where he makes himself a threat, then a defender can cheat and double up on him.

Watch how Miami run plays for Shaq. He always wait till all the defenders clear out before making his move. If it's out of his range, he reposts.

This hesitation stuff is nothing new. It's always a good idea to wait till all the defenders clear out, until you can make your move one-on-one.

Basically, the best way to see if Bynum can operate in the post is to put four guys that can shoot the three and space themselves behind the three-point line. That's what Miami does, when they switch Walker to PF and try to post up Shaq.
la3346

Postby 21_Blessings on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:40 pm

live and die in LA wrote:here is a video of the first half. courtesy of lakersplayoffbound from lakersground.

http://rapidshare.de/files/25338145/SPL ... f.mpg.html

Anyone know what plugin I need for this video? I'm trying to play it on wimamp and the damn picture is upside down for some reason.

edit: nm, works with windows media player
Last edited by 21_Blessings on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21_Blessings

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:41 pm

21_Blessings wrote:
live and die in LA wrote:here is a video of the first half. courtesy of lakersplayoffbound from lakersground.

http://rapidshare.de/files/25338145/SPL ... f.mpg.html

Anyone know what plugin I need for this video? I'm trying to play it on wimamp and the damn picture is upside down for some reason.

just download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and you have EVERYTHING you will EVER need. :mhihi:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby NUMBER 8 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:42 pm

Sky wrote:His man beat him off the dribble and then Farmar ran beside him. He did get beat. He shaded as well, but funneling only works if you have a team D scheme committed to it. He can't expect that with guys that are struggling to learn the tri and have only the most fundamental D schemes. I want to see proof that Farmar can man up and stay in front of his guy consistently. I didn't see that yesterday. Went under every screen, got beat off the dribble.

dont worry mitch is getting a defensive minded point guard for us............SHAMMUU
NUMBER 8

Postby halekulani on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:36 pm

KB8@CL wrote:

since when was this forum laker exclusive?
halekulani

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:45 pm

halekulani wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:

since when was this forum laker exclusive?

it is not a Laker forum exclusive, but you cannot expect the rest to talk about some grizzlie player. If they do they do and if they don´t, well they don´t.

KB24
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Summer League 2013