BDG's SPL Exclusive: Lakers vs. Grizzlies [7/11/06]

BDG's SPL Exclusive: Lakers vs. Grizzlies [7/11/06]

Postby BDG on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:34 am

CLICK HERE FOR MY INTERVIEW WITH SMUSH PARKER

Jordan Farmar certainly hasn't taken long to get adjusted to the team.

Farmar's clutch layup with 34 seconds left was enough to give the Lakers a three point lead and an 87-84 win against the Memphis Grizzlies on Tuesday night.

Andrew Bynum led the way with 24 points and 7 rebounds, followed by Farmar's 21 points and 5 assists.

"Coach Kurt cleared it out for me on the side [on the] pick & roll," Farmar said. "The guy guarding me turned his head and I just went the other way."

"I was gonna dunk it. I should have dunked it. But I just wanted to win, so it was pretty simple."

Bynum hit two big free throws with 59 seconds left, a pair that would give the Lakers the lead for good.

"That was nice to see," coach Kurt Rambis said after the game, "but he was just a shade over 50% for the entire ball game. I think he can eventually be a very good free throw shooter."

THE BREAKDOWN

Andrew Bynum

This was, in my opinion, Bynum's best SPL game so far.

Bynum's 24 & 7 set the tone for the game and his presence freed up the rest of the team for open looks off of double teams. In the post, there wasn't a defender on the Grizzlies that could guard him. His power and agility allowed him to score with relative ease, the most impressive display coming on an and-one dunk on Alexander Johnson. The Grizzlies often threw a second defender at him, and he handled it well, kicking it out to the open man. Gradually Bynum is starting to get more aggressive and more confident with his back to the basket. There were even a couple times where he showed flashes of a face-up game down low.

The Grizzlies were fronting Bynum on many instances, but with Bynum's length, he had no problem securing the lofty passes thrown by his teammates.

On the boards, Bynum was solid again. For the most part, when a rebound was available, Bynum did a solid job of boxing out and securing the rebound strong with both hands. He's starting to leap when rebounding and isn't going for the boards flat-footed as he might have done a year ago.

In fact, overall, Bynum did a better job establishing position on Tuesday night, whether it was when he was being fronted or posting up against the Memphis centers or bodying up down low to snatch a board.

Bynum finished the game with one shot block (a stat that I question myself), but his presence on defense didn't show up in the box score. His wingspan constantly allowed him to bother shots in the paint, whether it was coming on weak side help or guarding Greek center Andreas Glyniadakis.

After an opening game where he was plagued by foul trouble against Glyniadakis, I asked Bynum if he was looking forward to the match-up at all.

"I wasn't really looking forward to the matchup. You know I didn't really play a lot first game. I played like 20 minutes because I was in foul trouble. They stopped calling those fouls on me and I'm doing the same thing. He's a pretty good player. Like I said, I was a step slow today, I don't know why. My knee hurts or something I don't know."

His two clutch free throws with 59 seconds left gave the Lakers a big push in momentum, signifying the team taking the lead for good for the remainder of the game.

I asked Andrew if he'd say, "I make them when they count," like a former Laker center might have.

"No, I don't say that," Andrew laughed. "I just go out there with confidence and hope I [make them]."

Hopefully Bynum can build off this confidence and continue performances like this one.

Jordan Farmar
As in the two games before, Farmar's presence on the floor meant so much whether or not he was putting up the numbers he did.

Jordan's 21 points and 5 assists established the tempo for the game. He looked to push the ball on reasonable fast break opportunities. Farmar seldom forced it, a result of that being just two turnovers for the game. At the same time, he did a good job of distributing the ball and picking his spots.

"I have very high expectations for myself," Farmar said after the game. "Higher than anybody, any fan, any GM can put on me."

He had his first real test of speed against the Grizzlies, going up against quick point guard Kyle Lowry for a good portion of the game. Farmar passed with flying colors. Not only did he have the "deceptive" athleticism to keep up with Lowry, he routinely denied penetration on the defensive end.

On offense, Lowry and the Grizzlies' backcourt posed few problems for Farmar. An example of this being when Jordan blew by Lowry in the second quarter, drew the foul and converted on the and-one layup. Further evidence is shown in Farmar's 21 points.

What's interesting to note is that Farmar did not miss a single two-point field goal in this game. He shot 7 for 10, all three of his misses being from downtown.

His crunch-time layup is just additional proof of his leadership abilities and calmness under pressure to make rational decisions. Farmar attacked the basket, as he should have, in such a situation. Leading the UCLA Bruins to the NCAA title game wasn't an accident.

What is nice to see is Farmar looking for Bynum early and often. I asked Jordan for his thoughts on the tandem he and Bynum had formed.

"I look for him all the time," Farmar replied. "He works his butt off down there [and] gets good position, rebounds, helps us when we get beat on penetrations and things like that. So I definitely look for him a lot. You know he has great hands and finishes around the basket, so I try to give it to him as much as I can."

The best part of all this is he's very comfortable in the Triangle offense.

"It's pretty basic to me," Farmar said. "It's basic basketball principles. When one thing happens, a series of events happen. I just understand it. It's what I'd do naturally if I [was] playing at the park or somewhere else. The movements they have are just basic basketball, so it's not a difficult transition for me.

He played under control and played on both ends of the floor. You can't ask for much more from a player. Just keep practicing those outside jumpers.

Danilo "J.R." Pinnock
After being almost a non-factor in the first three quarters, Pinnock stepped up in the final few minutes, scoring 5 of his 7 points in the fourth.

Pinnock started to attack the basket and heated up just a bit in the fourth.

He continues to show signs that he can break down his man off the dribble and create his own shot.

Something to note was that he made a horrible decision with 20 seconds to go that gave the Grizzlies a shot to send it to overtime. Pinnock overdribbled, lost control of the ball and threw it out of bounds. Thankfully for the Lakers, they held their ground (thanks to some tough defense by Farmar) and secured the ball for the win.

It wasn't exactly his best game, he seemed just a bit lost out there when it became the Bynum and Farmar show early on.

Marcus Slaughter
To start the game, Slaughter's court awareness was a bit low.

He left Hakim Warrick wide open for a baseline jumper in the first quarter. Moments later, he fell asleep and missed a pass from Jordan Farmar on the perimeter.

I was about to say he had no ability to swat, but Slaughter came up with a big block on a Memphis player's dunk attempt on the break in the opening quarter. We'll see if he shows this ability more. That got him back in the game.

He showed some nice hangtime when attacking the rim. He's able to finish at the hoop at a decent level, which is good to see.

Slaughter, for the most part, moved the ball well in the Triangle. In fact, he wound up with four assists just by making smart, not impressive passes.

Still, I think he's a bit of a tweener trying to find his spot on the team. He's going to have to show a real standout ability to make the team.

Von Wafer
I won't say much other than this was a disappointing game for Von Wafer. He played just 15 minutes, but really didn't have a memorable game.

I'll reiterate that I'm confused why they are trying to mold a guy who loves to shoot into a ballhandler in the Triangle. Von didn't make the best of decisions out there today. He threw the ball away a couple times, in fact. I just don't see him as a point guard.

Hopefully Von steps it up from here on out.

Devin Green
Not a good game for Green either. He played 30 minutes but really was a non-factor the whole way through.

Green went 0 for 5 from the field and missed the majority of his free throws. Green also guarded Hakim Warrick for much of the game. Warrick put up 24 and 9. Not the best showing on that end either.

The remainder of the team either didn't provide a significant contribution or did not receive enough playing time for proper evaluation.

Keep tuned in for more interviews and analysis with BDG's SPL Exclusive reports and ClubLakers.com's complete coverage of the Summer Pro League over the next couple of weeks.
Last edited by BDG on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:43 am

Looking forward to it.

Lowry should play in this one, since he played yesterday against the Mavs. That will be a better gauge for Farmar.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:27 am

looking forward to it BDG. Its really appreciated that you do such a great job. thanks for the effort. It sucks that the SPL doesn't have as much hype as the other summer league tournaments in Vegas and so on. There is barely anything to find. On their homepage the updates are taking awefully long time. well I'm looking forward to see how we do in the 3rd game. We should definitely be able to beat Memphis. Lowry against Jordan is going to be a much better test than the previous bums this guy was facing in the first 2 games. I'm optimistic tho and hope we can pull this one out. A-Bomb this time better tale advantage of that greek dude.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Runway on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:57 am

I'll be at the game :jam2:

BTW: Am I allowed to take videos?
Runway

Postby baller4life88 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:45 am

Runway wrote:I'll be at the game :jam2:

BTW: Am I allowed to take videos?

You can BUT MAKE SURE YOU HIDE YOUR VIDEO CAMRA WHEN YOU FIRST GO IN.. I SAW PEOPLE DOING THAT..
baller4life88

Postby Kob3eight on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:26 pm

The game starts at 7:30 tonight? :man5:
Song Currently Playing
Kob3eight
Resident Monkey

Postby MasterRaider on Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:47 pm

Live update anyone?
MasterRaider

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:01 pm

MasterRaider wrote:Live update anyone?

Anyone...anyone...something D-O-O economics...
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby 10scott10 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:58 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:

beuler, beuler (dear god i misspelled that)
10scott10

Postby Kob3eight on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:04 pm

10scott10 wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:

beuler, beuler (dear god i misspelled that)
The game started at 7:30. It should be almost over. The box score should be up soon.
Song Currently Playing
Kob3eight
Resident Monkey

Postby MasterRaider on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:07 pm

From LG:

47-45 LAL at halftime.

Bynum has been great. Has 14 pts and prob 5-6 boards. And I think he's 6-8 from the FT line.

Start of 2nd quarter was a mess. Lots of TOs and horrible spacing. When Jordan and AB came back in with about 6mins left, the D turned up and the offensive execution was lightyears better, IMO. They went to AB in the post a lot and he produced with a few nice spin moves. Kept the ball high and away from his defenders. Had most success when the big Greek dude went out and they had a smaller cat d-ing him up. J.R. game him a great lob from the right baseline and he made a quick up and under and bashed it. Very nice.

Jordan also made a nice crossover above the left elbow and got and And1 with his left. Nice quickness. Has 7 pts so far.

Slaughter, as I said earlier, has played very well today. Boxing out nicely and helping on D. Had a nice dunk in transition in the 1st qtr. Also has 7 pts.

On a side note....the Cow is back. LOL!!! (for those of you cameon saturday, you know what I'm talkin about. hahaha)

I'll give u guys another update at the end of the 3rd. Peace.
MasterRaider

Postby Kob3eight on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:10 pm

MasterRaider wrote:From LG:

47-45 LAL at halftime.

Bynum has been great. Has 14 pts and prob 5-6 boards. And I think he's 6-8 from the FT line.

Start of 2nd quarter was a mess. Lots of TOs and horrible spacing. When Jordan and AB came back in with about 6mins left, the D turned up and the offensive execution was lightyears better, IMO. They went to AB in the post a lot and he produced with a few nice spin moves. Kept the ball high and away from his defenders. Had most success when the big Greek dude went out and they had a smaller cat d-ing him up. J.R. game him a great lob from the right baseline and he made a quick up and under and bashed it. Very nice.

Jordan also made a nice crossover above the left elbow and got and And1 with his left. Nice quickness. Has 7 pts so far.

Slaughter, as I said earlier, has played very well today. Boxing out nicely and helping on D. Had a nice dunk in transition in the 1st qtr. Also has 7 pts.

On a side note....the Cow is back. LOL!!! (for those of you cameon saturday, you know what I'm talkin about. hahaha)

I'll give u guys another update at the end of the 3rd. Peace.

http://www.vmix.com/viewVideo.php?ID=791981
Song Currently Playing
Kob3eight
Resident Monkey

Postby la3346 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:28 pm

14 and 6 at halftime. Damn, this kid is really starting to be something. That line is a lot harder to put up in a summer league(40 min, for a better sense) game, than one'd expect.

It's at a point where I expect him tp pick up at least something 6 and 5 in a half now, which is quite a common line for most summer leaguers, for the whole game.
la3346

Postby live and die in LA on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:36 pm

from LG

"73-68 MEM end of 3rd.

Bynum - 22pts. Playing a good game. Only 3 fouls. 1 block, I think.

Farmar - 14 pts. Made a nice lob to bynum for the ez layin. Perfect pass...AB is a huge target, and Jordan hit him right in the hands. AB is still slow of foot sometimes but his length and touch showed on a nice stretch where he made 3 shots on a row...jumphook, dunk, layup.

Peace...game's on."
live and die in LA

Postby MasterRaider on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:36 pm

From LG:

73-68 MEM end of 3rd.

Bynum - 22pts. Playing a good game. Only 3 fouls. 1 block, I think.

Farmar - 14 pts. Made a nice lob to bynum for the ez layin. Perfect pass...AB is a huge target, and Jordan hit him right in the hands. AB is still slow of foot sometimes but his length and touch showed on a nice stretch where he made 3 shots on a row...jumphook, dunk, layup.

Peace...game's on.
MasterRaider

Postby 21_Blessings on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:39 pm

live and die in LA wrote:from LG

"Farmar - 14 pts. Made a nice lob to bynum for the ez layin. Perfect pass...AB is a huge target, and Jordan hit him right in the hands. AB is still slow of foot sometimes but his length and touch showed on a nice stretch where he made 3 shots on a row...jumphook, dunk, layup.

Farmur to Bynum - the future :mhihi:
21_Blessings

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:48 pm

la3346 wrote:14 and 6 at halftime. Damn, this kid is really starting to be something. That line is a lot harder to put up in a summer league(40 min, for a better sense) game, than one'd expect.

It's at a point where I expect him tp pick up at least something 6 and 5 in a half now, which is quite a common line for most summer leaguers, for the whole game.

14/6 isn't hard at all to put up in the SPL if you're supposed to be good. It's encouraging, but if one is going to make a difference in the NBA, he should really be dominating the SPL. I don't mean 30/20 every night, but very close to 20/10 even if you only play 30 minutes if you're a big.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby MasterRaider on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:52 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:
la3346 wrote:14 and 6 at halftime. Damn, this kid is really starting to be something. That line is a lot harder to put up in a summer league(40 min, for a better sense) game, than one'd expect.

14/6 isn't hard at all to put up in the SPL if you're supposed to be good. It's encouraging, but if one is going to make a difference in the NBA, he should really be dominating the SPL. I don't mean 30/20 every night, but very close to 20/10 even if you only play 30 minutes if you're a big.

^^^See the 3rd quarter update: 22 pts at the end of 3. :mhihi:
MasterRaider

Postby RCS926 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:54 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:

Lake said that Bynum has over 20 points after 3. It's safe to assume that he probably picked up a few rebounds too in the 3rd quarter, so we're probably looking at 20/10 after 3 with another quarter to go. Not a bad performance after previously putting up 14/15/5 in 3 quarters.
RCS926

Postby revgen on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:54 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:

Bynum is putting up 22 points and possibly more against a Greek 7'0" player that limited him to 12 points on Saturday. He also isn't in foul trouble. This is encouraging.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby scott121 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:56 pm

[quote="k0pr0phage"][quote="la3346"]14 and 6 at halftime. Damn, this kid is really starting to be something. That line is a lot harder to put up in a summer league(40 min, for a better sense) game, than one'd expect.

It's at a point where I expect him tp pick up at least something 6 and 5 in a half now, which is quite a common line for most summer leaguers, for the whole game.[/quote]
14/6 isn't hard at all to put up in the SPL if you're supposed to be good. It's encouraging, but if one is going to make a difference in the NBA, he should really be dominating the SPL. I don't mean 30/20 every night, but very close to 20/10 even if you only play 30 minutes if you're a big.[/quote]

just when you said 20 pionts he put up 22 points, lolz.
scott121

Postby la3346 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:01 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:

14/6 is not hard for a game in the SPL, but it is for a half. Heck, that's a tough line for a half in the pros. What people don't realize is that a lack of competition is compensated by the shorter minutes.

Basically, if he can put up 15, 10, 3 in 25 min, you can bet that will translate.
la3346

Postby DHL on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:07 pm

did we win?
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby hype on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:15 pm

Game over. 87-83. WE WIN!!!
After falling down by 9, we caught up and tied it at 83 on an alley-oop to Pinnick. Drew (24pts) then hit 2 clutch FTs followed by 2 more from Farmar (21pts). They played great D down the stretch.

That's it....gotta go. I'll be at the game again on Friday and Sat.

Peace out
hype

Postby MarkMadsen on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:16 pm

box score:
http://www.summerproleague.com/july11game5.pdf

Bynum and Farmar with highs.

Devin Green Ice cold.

Pinnock average game.
MarkMadsen

Next

Return to Summer League 2013