BDG's SPL Exclusive: Lakers vs. Mavericks [7/9/06]

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:27 pm

MasterRaider wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:
Triumph Jelani wrote:wafer might not be a laker, but he will be a nba pro.
What makes you say that? He had a very good SPL last year, only to perform like garbage when given the chance at the pro level.

It's hard to perform consistently when you're not given consistent minutes. Wafer won't be a star or anything, but had he been on the Bobcats or something, he'd make his way as an NBA regular.

If Wafer works really hard, he could be the next Kareem Rush.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:28 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:
MasterRaider wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:
What makes you say that? He had a very good SPL last year, only to perform like garbage when given the chance at the pro level.

It's hard to perform consistently when you're not given consistent minutes. Wafer won't be a star or anything, but had he been on the Bobcats or something, he'd make his way as an NBA regular.

Is that a joke? I sure hope it is.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:28 pm

I didn't even see the Wafer/Rush comparison until now. Funny. Wafer shot 51% on FGs in the SPL last year.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Flatlyner on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:23 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:
lkrdynsty wrote:i think they sould pick up marcus also...even though he only had 4 points today he was still hustlin on the boards and contesting shots... with bynum being the focus on offense he didn't have many chances to score

we cant even pick up 1 player. No roster spots. Unless we make some deals to clear some rosyter spots or cut players like Mckie.

If there is a God, we don't have McKie next year. Can anyone honestly say they'd rather have a broken down, one legged McKie then a potential good player like Pinnock?? Not to mention, Pinnock will recieve far less money then McKie is stealing from the team at the moment.

Bye Bye McKie, sorry to say it was not very nice having you taking our cap money. He'll always be a Sixer in my eyes anyways..... :mad1:
Flatlyner

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:51 pm

revgen wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:
MasterRaider wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:

Is that a joke? I sure hope it is.

The joke is that neither of them are, were, or will be anything in the NBA.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BDG on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:19 pm

UPDATED

Enjoy the report/interviews!
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:33 pm

BDG wrote:UPDATED

Enjoy the report/interviews!

I remember Pinnock saying when he was drafted that he was going to work very hard to prove himself to the organization. He's certainly kept his word.

I'm glad that Bynum is doing better now. Hopefully, when he plays Memphis again, he'll play better against the other 7-footer.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby BDG on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:40 pm

revgen wrote:I'm glad that Bynum is doing better now. Hopefully, when he plays Memphis again, he'll play better against the other 7-footer.
Yeah like bhatta said, it will be a "revenge" game.

Honestly the officiating was horrible in that game. Way too many foul calls throughout. And it might have taken Andrew out of a rhythm. Looking at the box score, they called 4x (yes, four) as many fouls in the Grizzlies game than they did today.

It will be interesting to see Bynum go up against Andreas Glyniadakis again.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Triumph Jelani on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:52 pm

bynum still doesnt own the block. i dont think he hold his position well.
Triumph Jelani

Postby BDG on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:54 pm

Triumph Jelani wrote:bynum still doesnt own the block. i dont think he hold his position well.
Agreed, Jelani didn't exploit that today either. After Bynum started swatting him, he vanished.

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but most of it's about the legs with Bynum.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby i am not vladamir on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:56 pm

THANKS FOR THE REPORT :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Let my words echo in the depths of your soul: When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews -- make no mistake about it."

-Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
i am not vladamir

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks for the report BDG, reading it now.

First thing, it's good that Bynum realizes what he has to do in terms of rebounding and blocking. To make more of an effort and go after the ball more. Even if his competition was J-Mac, it's a mental aspect of basketball which he is grasping...which is good news.

Despite popular belief, I'm glad Farmar is doing so well out there in terms of court vision and using what he has. Again as a reminder: I have nothing against him, just those that are making him out to be the next great and those who think he will start.

Sounds like Wafer still has some work to do, maybe more in his head than on the court. I don't think he can be an initiator. I've never seen anything from him to make me believe that's ever a role he could play. So, when I read that's what he was playing out there, it kind of makes me question why the Lakers are choosing to do that. Since it's something he worked on this summer, that means the Lakers told him in the exit interviews when their season ended that the initiator role is something they would like him to try this season. So, perhaps they are seeing what their options are and if he's worth holding on to, by seeing what all he is/isn't capable of.

Green's mental focus sounds like a big + for him. I would have expected him to go MIA after missing his first 5 shots. Good to hear that's not what happened.

I'm becoming more and more impressed with Pinnock. I like him, I hope we find a place for him. Even if it's a stint in the D-League, then call him up. I think he would make a good addition to the team. The big thing is that he can create for himself. I want to see how he defends NBA players in the pre-season though, hopefully he'll get the chance. Because if his defense is solid, I say give him a spot on the Lakers bench and let him work his way up the rotation. He has a great attitude and seems to be willing to work as hard as he has to.

BDG, what was your take on Slaughter today? Some said he played well, played good D, and hustled. But I saw he didn't make your breakdown list. Any comments about him?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby J.C. Smith on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:05 pm

leftymo wrote:Kareem Rush couldn't even do that, and wafer isn't near rush's inability...lol.

Oh please, Rush was averaging 15 points a game in the first month or so last season with the Bobcats, and I believe he was averaging just under 12 when he went out to injury. Then he had the issues that resulted in him being cut, but don't act as if he wasn't able to perform in the league.
J.C. Smith

Postby Kasumi on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:21 pm

JSM wrote:BDG, what was your take on Slaughter today? Some said he played well, played good D, and hustled. But I saw he didn't make your breakdown list. Any comments about him?

I know this is BDG's thread, but my take on Slaughter was 'good for him'. He seems like a genuinely good guy and really works hard. He was a starter today, ended with 8 points on 3 of 3 shooting (plus 2 free throws) with 3 boards and 2 assists in 19 minutes. I liked his passing but for a big man, he's a little too passive. Then again, he had Bynum in the middle taking up the most space and being the center of offense so that could have affected him. He did play well and did hussle though.
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby BDG on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:42 pm

missmyzte wrote:
JSM wrote:BDG, what was your take on Slaughter today? Some said he played well, played good D, and hustled. But I saw he didn't make your breakdown list. Any comments about him?

I know this is BDG's thread, but my take on Slaughter was 'good for him'. He seems like a genuinely good guy and really works hard. He was a starter today, ended with 8 points on 3 of 3 shooting (plus 2 free throws) with 3 boards and 2 assists in 19 minutes. I liked his passing but for a big man, he's a little too passive. Then again, he had Bynum in the middle taking up the most space and being the center of offense so that could have affected him. He did play well and did hussle though.
Yeah my take on Slaughter is he's a bit of a tweener.

He doesn't have the ability to block shots or guard guys in the post. He's better off playing as a SF.

Thing is, he can't create his own shot and his defense isn't anything spectacular. So far he hasn't really shown a standout quality and it's going to be tough to impress the staff like that.

He only played 19 minutes today too.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:00 am

i am not vladamir wrote:THANKS FOR THE REPORT :bow: :bow: :bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Sky on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:13 am

Jorker, JSM and others brought up the key point from today, you have to put this one in context. The Mavs SPL roster is junk. These guys would struggle against the better agent teams. Bynum was much more aggressive and decisive because he had 3-4 inches and 30 pounds on his man. Farmar got 4 steals in part due to just playing a slow inferior team.

To Bynum's credit he was much faster from catch to play today. Confidence makes all the difference in the world. He was looking for his shot and looking to go strong to the hoop immediately. Also was looking for cutters, but the timing was off, hopefully that timing gets more in sync as they play more games together. His defensive timing for swats is clearly improved. Fought well for some boards in traffic (so did Farmar), but I'm still worried about Bynum playing too upright. He needs to use his power to greater advantage in sealing his man low block and in rebounding.

Farmar continues to look great in dribble penetration and had the floaters working today as BDG said. Nice hoop iq on a few plays. Can't quite catch a steal so he punches the ball to a teammate for transition the other way. Give and go in transiton, realizes in the air he's out of position, makes the critical extra pass that gives Green an easy look.

Farmar's post entry passing remains a concern of mine. Telegraphed a slow motion post entry bounce pass that anyone on this board could have picked. Shot mechanics need a lot of work. Great thing is once he does have a reliable jumper he'll be a nightmare to guard since he can penetrate and handle so well, especially with his left. His defense was better today, more aggressive and tighter pressure inclduing going over screens, but it was against a slower player that doesn't have NBA level skills.

Pinnock continues to make great decisions with the ball. His best play was a sweet block, dribbles casually into traffic then a dramatic change of speed to blow by the D and float in for a layup. Good court awareness, quality decisions, can create his own shot, finish and shoot. He's definitely a keeper in my book.

Green shot better today, made better decisions, but still just doesn't seem to have "it." At least the overdribbling was reduced from yesterday, stil a concern though.

Slaughter is showng nice shooting range, but is frequently off balance and reaching with one arm for boards. Good handles, playing without hesitation, he deserves a longer look, but seems like a D-League candidate at this point.

I agree with BDG on Wafer, don't be fooled by the stats. He was breaking from the offense and just taking his man solo off the dribble with a quick first step and finish. Defensively he was a sieve.

Douthit made a nice dribble drive for a score. Sets up 20 feet out, goes left beats his man, rises up for 6 footer. I like his interior passing, but again his game drifts in and out, consistency problems.

Based on the first two games:
keepers - Farmar, Bynum, Pinnock
camp invite - Douthit, by default Green and Wafer given their experience
D-League/camp bubble - Slaughter (needs to show more on glass and D)
the rest - nope

Met a nice guy next to me who asked about fan boards, told him about CL, we'll see if he joins us.
Last edited by Sky on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:20 am

Sky wrote:I'm still worried about Bynum playing too upright. He needs to use his power to greater advantage in sealing his man low block and in rebounding.

That's actually something Rambis was talking to him about, according to an article from Press Enterprise, which I posted in this forum.

Bynum got pushed around a little bit Saturday. Rambis instructed him to stay low and get in a better stance Sunday.

"He told me that if they're pushing me, try to use their force against them," Bynum said. "A lot of times today I was on the opposite side of the ball and catching it coming across (the lane) instead of staying stationary. It was easier to hit me that way."---PE

So at least it's a problem they recognize and Bynum is attempting to correct. With his work ethic, I think it will come...just is going to take some time.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby flexxdzl on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:28 am

Slaughter is showng nice shooting range, but is frequently off balance and reaching with one arm for boards. Good handles, playing without hesitation, he deserves a longer look, but seems like a D-League candidate at this point.

Why can't or shouldn't he get a camp invite...? I would like to see him on our team...
flexxdzl

Postby Sky on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:33 am

As I posted he needs to show more in rebounding and defense first. Needs to do a much better job of blocking out and going up in balance with two hands for the board, and show improvement in man D. I like his hands, handles and shooting range. He looks comfortable in the tri and isn't hesitating at all. I have him on the bubble because of the boards and defense, improve in those two areas he has a shot at a camp invite.

JSM - Good to hear. If Bynum can learn to play at a lower center of gravity he'll put his power advantage to much better use, and play with far more body balance.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby flexxdzl on Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:51 am

Sky wrote:As I posted he needs to show more in rebounding and defense first. Needs to do a much better job of blocking out and going up in balance with two hands for the board, and show improvement in man D. I like his hands, handles and shooting range. He looks comfortable in the tri and isn't hesitating at all. I have him on the bubble because of the boards and defense, improve in those two areas he has a shot at a camp invite.

JSM - Good to hear. If Bynum can learn to play at a lower center of gravity he'll put his power advantage to much better use, and play with far more body balance.

This cat farmar ..is blowing my mind ...evertime i watch those clips I am stunned..I know he's not ready to start..but to me he will be by all-star time..but def. next year..I like him too much!
flexxdzl

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:57 am

I love Farmer too but whenever I imagine him against AI or Arenas on defense, smoke rises from my brain....

KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:23 am

right now I say

Keepers
Bynum, Farmer, Pinnock

Camp Invite (and NBDL later)
Wafer, Slaughter and Green

the rest is garbage. Out of Green, Wafer and Slaughter I would take Slaughter because we have enaugh guards (evans, Farmer, Sasha, Pinnock) and because Slaughter is a forward and we don´t have any tough forwards on the bench. Walton and Cook as primary backups are soft. we could certainly use some athleticism, wingspan and tough minded players off the bench.

so my roster as of now looks like

Smush (unfortunetly) / Shamu / Farmer
Kobe / Evans / Pinnock / Sasha
Vlad Rad / Walton / Slaughter
Odom /Cook / Turiaf
Kwame/ Mihm / Bynum

thgats 16 players and Slaughter is the odd man out, yet I still hope we can find a way to ship Cook, Sasha somewhere for a bag of chips and a sprite. On the other hand I would be truely upset to have McKie on the roster next year, no matter what happens. cut his butt if you can´t find any grave for him.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby A Rush on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:11 am

Bynum will be fine. It'll take another year or two before he really starts gelling but once he does, chances are great we have our starting center and defensive anchor for the next decade plus. I have little worries about Bynum developing into a really good, really intimidating player.

Can someone just cut Wafer and do us all a favor? He's the worst example of "all athleticism little else" players. Cut him and focus on guys who can actually contribute without the whole system falling apart.

Farmar seems to be a great pick for us. Will need another year at least to really contribute but he seems like he could develop into a real starting PG for us down the line. Glad to see Pinnock impressing as well.

Frankly, I'd cut both Wafer and Green and keep Pinnock. To screw with Chad Ford, if nothing else. He didn't see Pinnock making the team.
A Rush

Postby mm708 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:55 pm

So if Slaughter goes to the D-League, would he be under contract with the Lakers or would the Lakers have his rights or would he be a free-agent?
mm708

PreviousNext

Return to Summer League 2013