BDG's SPL Exclusive: Lakers vs. Wizards [7/18/06]

BDG's SPL Exclusive: Lakers vs. Wizards [7/18/06]

Postby BDG on Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:59 am

After receiving two full days of rest, the Lakers came back a refreshed team, topping the Wizards 132-123 on Tuesday night.

The trio of Andrew Bynum, Jordan Farmar and Devin Green carried the Lakers, who had six players scoring in double figures.

Bynum would record 25 points & 11 rebounds, Green had 26 points & 8 rebounds and Farmar finished with 16 points & 11 assists.

"We had a day off and I ate my Wheaties and all that," Bynum said after the game. "I definitely felt more refreshed."

The Wizards would only play six players of their team, none receiving less than 30 minutes on the floor.

The Lakers opened the game up with an early lead; however the Wizards rallied back found themselves ahead by two points at halftime. Yet the Lakers would take control for good after a 39-point third quarter, 19 of them split between Bynum and Green.

Bynum would not miss a shot the entire game, going 10/10 from the field, while Green shot 12/14.

The Lakers will wrap things up for the summer when they play the Grizzlies on Wednesday night at the Pyramid in Long Beach.

THE BREAKDOWN

Andrew Bynum
What a world of difference two days rest can make. Bynum had statistically his best game of the entire SPL.

25 points, 11 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 blocked shots would by Bynum's final line.

Andrew was matched up against a much smaller frontcourt than he'd previously seen. The tallest of the Wizards was Andray Blatche, who really isn't even a true center. The other two players that defended Bynum capped off at 6'9".

Bynum immediately recognized this mismatch and knew how to take advantage of it. He often gave his defenders a couple of quick bumps (using that giant frame of his) and this created some space for him. As a result, he was more at ease and often made the right choices in terms of footwork, angling his body to gain solid shot opportunities.

I asked coach Kurt Rambis how Bynum did, even while playing against shorter competition.

"He did a good job of trying to establish deep post position, which was one of the things that we're trying to work with him on. To try and understand his position in relationship to his defender and what he can do in relationship to the ball. He did a better job of that, but there wasn't a whole lot of resistance in terms of the guys that he played against.

"They didn't do a good job of keeping him out of the paint or offering much size or strength to control him. But he did a good job. I was happy with the way he played today."

Nevertheless, going 10 for 10 from the floor is an impressive stat for Andrew. More than anything, Bynum showed the ability to be patient while in the paint. He didn't rush things down low and took his time to get comfortable. In turn, he got great looks at the basket the entire game.

Bynum's mentor, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has continued to show up to observe Bynum's progress at these games. I asked Andrew how much, if at all, he communicates with Kareem when on the floor.

"He talks to me every time I come out the game, pretty much," Bynum said. "He sits right behind me and he's just whispering things into my ear [and] telling me what I need to do."

"He swears he wants to see a left-handed shot and I'm trying to get him one."

And Cap's right. Not only should Bynum learn to use both hands at this point, he needs to increase the utilization of one-handed shots period.

There was a sequence where Bynum was softly fouled under the basket and didn't have the angle to finish for an and-one opportunity because he used both hands. If Bynum simply palmed the ball with his right hand and dunked it through the right side of the rim instead, he would have gained an opportunity for a three-point play.

Bynum continued to show an improved stroke from the free throw line, knocking down 5 of 7 attempts.

What's remained consistent, for the most part, is Bynum's shot-blocking presence on defense. Scooter (yes that's his nickname) McFadgen of the Wizards was on fire for much of the game. Bynum killed just a bit of that momentum when he came from the weakside and rejected McFadgen's layup into the stands. Great to see a young player like Bynum play with that type of intensity, especially after it (along with his stamina) had been questioned before.

Although Bynum went up against lesser competition against the Wizards, it was great to see him know how to take advantage of these mismatches and end up with a remarkably perfect shooting performance.

Jordan Farmar
Farmar seems to have shaken the effects of a groin tweak that might have hindered him for a couple games.

Farmar finished the game with 16 points and 11 assists, the highest he's dished out at the SPL.

While Jordan did a solid job of running the Triangle in the half-court set, he seemed arguably even more comfortable leading the pack in transition. He's got great court awareness and possesses the timing necessary to be an effective point guard on the fast break.

I asked Rambis if the coaching staff would have a bit more flexibility in terms of allowing Farmar to get out and run when the opportunity presents himself.

"Well we always like to be able to get and run off of long rebounds, easy scoring opportunites, turnovers -- those kinds of things," Rambis said. "[When] we can get in fast-break situations to get high percentage shots, of course we would love to see that kind of thing. But we've got to be able to make good decisions when in the open floor. I think that's one of the things that he's really trying to focus on. "

"It's not about the tempo and how fast you play, it's about making the accurate decision and making that at the right time. He's got to really be able to control himself so he doesn't pick up the pace of the game too much and play at a pace that we're not comfortable with because he's made bad decisions. So I see him controlling himself and I think eventually he's going to be excellent in the open court."

During warmups, I noticed Farmar missed his last jump shot and was a bit frustrated about it. In the first quarter, he seemed focused on hitting his jumper, opening up his game with a trey and a baseline shot from about 15 feet out. Farmar has always shot with confidence, but if anything he's just got to practice hitting them in game situations.

Yet again, Farmar had little trouble finishing around the hoop. In the second quarter he went up and under for a reverse layup in transition and showed that nice little floater of his in the third. The fact that he's a decent scoring threat when in the lane opens up opportunities for his teammates. Farmar made a determined effort to feed Bynum after penetrating.

Devin Green
Offensively, Devin Green definitely had his best game of the SPL.

Green's 26 points, 8 rebounds & 4 assists all came in a span of just 26 minutes on playing time. He was quite efficent as well, converting 12 of his 14 field goals.

As evidenced by his field goal percentage, Green's forte is playing within the offense and reacting to what the defense does on the floor. He hardly will force any shot attempts, knows his spots and as of this year, apparently can knock down the open jumper.

I asked coach Rambis if the coaching staff values Devin's ability to play within the offense.

"We always want young guys, particularly at this young age, to be able to just play off of what the defense does and let the offense help them execute," Rambis said. "So I think there were some sequences where he did a really good job and there were some sequences where he didn't do a good job. So that's part of being young and making mistakes, but he has the talent. He has the talent. He just needs some experience and some poise out there to be able to make much more right decisions than wrong decisions."

I asked Devin himself to evaluate his own performance.

"I think I played pretty solid, man," Green said. "Like I always tell you all, I just try to come out and [produce] our offense out of the system. So I think we did pretty well today. It was an up and down game. That's not the kind of game that we necessarily want. But I think we played pretty well and adjusted to today to their team concept."

Green, along with his teammates, looked energetic after two days rest. I asked Devin how much the time off helped him produce.

"Man, I felt like I'm 19!" Devin said, laughing. "It was great having two days off because we played a lot of games back to back, so I felt really good after those days off."

I also talked with Devin about his newfound ability to embrace contact when attacking the basket and finishing in transition with Farmar leading the break.

"I think playing on the playground or whatever neighborhood you're from from, you kind of get used to contact. Playing in the NBA with bigger guys, you just have to adjust to the contact that they bring to you and just try to make the best shot that you can create out of it."

"Jordan is a great, unselfish player. Like I told you the other day, I love playing with people like that because that's how I play. So it's great to know that when you're on the break that you're going to get it back from running hard. I love playing with him. He's a great player."

I finally asked Green what his plans were from now until training camp.

"Get back in the gym and continue to work on the things that I've seen that I need to work on as far as playing in the Summer League. Just continue to improve and get ready for the real thing coming up in October."

Overall, Devin continues to show an ability to finish at the rack, both in transition and in a half-court offense. He drew contact a couple of times during the game, but still got the ball into the basket.

And the jumper still looks good. In fact, Green was confident enough to take (and make) a fadeaway jumper with Andray Blatche right in his face.

The hard work over the offseason seems to have paid off.

Doron Perkins
Although you wouldn't be able to tell by the box score, Perkins made a strong effort to play some tough defense on the Wizards' Scooter McFadgon (who was absolutely on fire for much of the game) and got under his skin a bit.

Perkins made it his primary objective to put pressure McFadgon, and drew some frustration from Scooter when he got hit with a hard foul.

Although the attempt didn't work, simply because Scooter hit every shot with even a crack of daylight, it was a positive sign to see out there.

Doron continued his solid outside shooting, hitting two treys during a Laker run in the opening quarter. He finished with 13 points on 5 of 8 from the floor.

Perkins' defense and ability to play within the system will give him a good shot at receiving an invitation to training camp.

The remainder of the team either didn’t provide a significant contribution or did not receive enough playing time for proper evaluation.

Danilo "J.R." Pinnock
Pinnock put up 12 points on 5 of 10 from the floor.

He has consistently moved well on offense without the ball and dives to the basket strong. In addition, the outside jumper continues to fall for him.

Pinnock is a likely candidate for a camp invite at this point.

Keep tuned in for more interviews and analysis with BDG’s SPL Exclusive reports and ClubLakers.com’s complete coverage of the Summer Pro League over the next couple of weeks.
Last edited by BDG on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:57 pm

lets hope Bynum and Farmer can recover and regain their their rythem.

last game was disgusting.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby SWOL on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:05 pm

SEEMS TO BE UP AND DOWN, ONE GAME THEY PLAY GGGGRRREAT AND THE NEXT THEY PLAY LIKE A BUNCH OF RETARDS TRYING TO HUMP A DOOR KNOB
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby charles202 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:05 pm

SWOL wrote:SEEMS TO BE UP AND DOWN, ONE GAME THEY PLAY GGGGRRREAT AND THE NEXT THEY PLAY LIKE A BUNCH OF RETARDS TRYING TO HUMP A DOOR KNOB

Thats the whole problem with young players, at leat both have shown somthing during the summer. Neither is going to ge major minutes this season, lets jsut hope they both continue to improve.
charles202

Postby revgen on Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:06 pm

SWOL wrote:SEEMS TO BE UP AND DOWN, ONE GAME THEY PLAY GGGGRRREAT AND THE NEXT THEY PLAY LIKE A BUNCH OF RETARDS TRYING TO HUMP A DOOR KNOB

Have you ever humped a door knob? :man1:

Anyhoo, I hope they do better tonight. These guys need to learn how to play on B2B games, because it's gonna be even harder once they enter the NBA and have to play B2B games on the road.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby 10scott10 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:34 pm

http://www.summerproleague.com/july18game3.pdf
this should shut the bynum haters up. same with the farmar haters

EDIT:
devin green looks l9ike he is trying to keep his position as a laker also.
10scott10

Postby ampaschoal on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:39 pm

BYNUM, FARMAR!!!! 2 MONSTERS!!!!!
THE FUTURE
Is the Showtime Back?
Kobe & Odom can show that!
ampaschoal

Postby hype on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:47 pm

:bow: :bow:

Bynum 10/10 FG
hype

Postby MarkMadsen on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:49 pm

must of been no defense day.
MarkMadsen

Postby hype on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:52 pm

82 points in the paint for the lakers :man10:
hype

Postby pureuncut100 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:53 pm

If Farmar ever developed a 3 point shot, his stats would be absolutely amazing for a 19 year old rookie in the summer league or anywhere else. The guy seems to be very efficient. Bring up that 3 point field goal percentage and watch out. I like Farmar.
pureuncut100

Postby 10scott10 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:05 pm

pureuncut100 wrote:If Farmar ever developed a 3 point shot, his stats would be absolutely amazing for a 19 year old rookie in the summer league or anywhere else. The guy seems to be very efficient. Bring up that 3 point field goal percentage and watch out. I like Farmar.

kobe wasn't much better when he started. [hope]maybe farmar can be the kobe[/hope] [reality]but probably not[/reality]
10scott10

Postby 21_Blessings on Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:24 pm

ampaschoal wrote:BYNUM, FARMAR!!!!
THE FUTURE
21_Blessings

Postby nimannn on Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:28 pm

Just got back from the game, it was one of the better games of the summer. The refs actually let them play and there were hardly any whistles which created a good rhythm. The Wizards basically had only 3 players who could do anything and they made their runs when those 3 caught fire. It was also their downfall becasue all three were perimeter players and were fatigued by the time the 4th quarter hit which is when the Lakers put them away for good.

Bynum was great but the bums on our team still didn't horrible job giving him post-entry passes, especially that Powell guy. Bynum should have had a lot more touches but they just wouldn't pass him the ball. Green and Farmar were the only two that made an effort to give him the ball. Green also had a great day. He played some nice defense at certain points and a nice stroke on his jumpers. Farmar played pretty solid as well. He's still struggling on perimeter jumpers but had a couple nice floaters and did a good job playmaking. He did have a few stupid turnovers where he tried to force passes that weren't there like Sky warned us about. Slaughter was non-existent, Pinnock didn't do anything special, and Wafer was decent.
nimannn

Postby kb the assassin on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:47 pm

hype wrote::bow: :bow:

Bynum 10/10 FG
kb the assassin

Postby BDG on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:59 pm

I'll have a report up soon. Fun game to watch.

Don't get overly excited on Bynum going 10/10 -- he had a great game and played very well (a lot of positives), but Washington only played 6 guys and didn't really even have a true center out there.

For those who got there early, there was a game before the Lakers' that featured 2 teams without referees. One player was reading a newspaper on the bench (hZm has a pic of it) and the players had to call their own fouls. It was the saddest thing. Neither team was even trying. Funniest part was a couple of guys on the team with red jerseys apparently didn't know how to do their laundry and the red from the jeresys bled into the white part.

Anyway, stay tuned...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby kb the assassin on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:01 pm

BDG wrote:I'll have a report up soon. Fun game to watch.

Don't get overly excited on Bynum going 10/10 -- he had a great game and played very well (a lot of positives), but Washington only played 6 guys and didn't really even have a true center out there.

For those who got there early, there was a game before the Lakers' that featured 2 teams without referees. One player was reading a newspaper on the bench (hZm has a pic of it) and the players had to call their own fouls. It was the saddest thing. Neither team was even trying. Funniest part was a couple of guys on the team with red jerseys apparently didn't know how to do their laundry and the red from the jeresys bled into the white part.

Anyway, stay tuned...

ok cant wait
kb the assassin

Postby ampaschoal on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:15 pm

Has someone some video about this, or other SPL Lakers game?
I would love to see the kids playing, it´s really difficult to see something about spl here in Brazil, I think that is impossible. :hurl:
So, if someone has some highlights I'll be happy! :jam2:
Thanks!
Is the Showtime Back?
Kobe & Odom can show that!
ampaschoal

Postby saint091 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:20 pm

both teams actually had 3 30 point quarters. Lakers actually had 39 POINTS in the 3rd quarter. Oh, just to remind everyone, bynum was 10/10 with 2 steals and 2 blocks. I wonder where that kid is that was criticizing bynum so much... :mhihi:
Credit to SocWiz15 For Sig
saint091

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:10 pm

Glad the young'ns stepped it up, even though they were only playing against 6 players.

Bynum, Farmar, and Green seemed to all have very good games.

Looks like an average game from Pinnock and Slaughter.

And a good game by Powell and Perkins.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:23 pm

damn, 10/10 is impressive even when you are guarded by undersized players. nice to see Farmer and Bynum having excellent games :bow: :bow: :bow:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby BDG on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:44 am

UPDATED

Enjoy the report.

By the way, the Lakers scored 82 points in the paint in this game.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby wallangong on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:10 am

pureuncut100 wrote:If Farmar ever developed a 3 point shot, his stats would be absolutely amazing for a 19 year old rookie in the summer league or anywhere else. The guy seems to be very efficient. Bring up that 3 point field goal percentage and watch out. I like Farmar.

im very confident farmar will develop a nice 3 pt shot. he seems to have a good work ethic and he could hit it in college. hes just gotta get used to the deeper line in the NBA. give this kid a year to develop not only on the court, but in the weight room. i'm confident he'll end up being a steal.
wallangong

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:16 am

Thanks for the report BDG.

One thing I like that Bynum has done is exploit mismatches. Yes, it should come fairly natural. But for a lot of young players, it doesn't. And for him to have that down in his head is a good start. I'm hoping it translates in the NBA when he sees similar situations, because it's a faster game and you have to react much quicker.

Very good to hear about his free throw improvements and shot blocking tenacity.

Seems like Farmar's first class come training camp will be what Rambis commented on--control and pace, which will help lower TO numbers.

Great game by Green. Some very good/promising post game comments as well. Glad he's planning on getting right back to work.

From what I've read and some of Rambis' comments, Perkins is a very good defender (against SPL talent), but the rest of his game isn't at that level.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:22 am

thanks. 132-123 is a damn high number tho, wow

82 points in the paint is ridiculous, must have been a layup drill.

KB24
Site Admin

Next

Return to Summer League 2013