Bynum's athleticism deceptive?

Bynum's athleticism deceptive?

Postby la3346 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:53 pm

Check out this dunk by Tyrus Thomas:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ldgQbvC_tfg& ... s%20thomas

Pretty impressive right? But then compare that with this

Image

and you'll see that Bynum's hands are actually a bit higher than Thomas'(pause Thomas' dunk, at no point, his hands are higher than Bynum's.)

Here's the video of Bynum's dunk:

http://rapidshare.de/files/25417031/SPL ... f.mpg.html

You can tell that Thomas were running at full steam while Bynum is standing still.

Now Tyrus Thomas has a standing reach of 9'0 and a max vertical of 39", and a max jumping reach of 12'3(you can get this just by adding those two together). According to Mitch, Bynum can reach 9 inches above the top of the backboard inner square, which is 22 inches high(it's actually 18 inches, but the lines add 2 inches each), which would make his max reach 12'7.

Now Bynum is rumored to have a 33" standing vertical and a 37" max vertical, add them together and it would come out 12'3 for standing vertical and 12'7 for max reach. Well, 12'3 is Thomas running(max) reach, and we can see in the video that Thomas's running jump(max) reach is equal to Bynum's standing vertical reach, so clearly he's not lying.
What's even more impressive is that Howard has a max reach of 12'6, so Bynum can actually reach 1" higher than Howard.

However, if you look at the video of Bynum's dunk, Bynum sure didn't "look" explosive. What I'd like to see is someone to throw Bynum a lob pass while he gets a full head of steam, perhaps then we'll see his explosiveness.
User avatar
la3346

 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 12:20 pm

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:19 pm

Interesting stuff. When I first heard about Bynum's vertical, I was blown away. A guy that big with that kind of leaping ability on top of his mass is ridiculous.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 45263
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Postby 10scott10 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:32 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:Interesting stuff. When I first heard about Bynum's vertical, I was blown away. A guy that big with that kind of leaping ability on top of his mass is ridiculous.

what is his vert?
Image
User avatar
10scott10

 
Posts: 5974
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: looking for the royal room entrance

Postby killacam on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:43 pm

/\says rite there, 33" standing, 37" max
User avatar
killacam

 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:02 am

Postby the sauce on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:50 am

Fascinating.
User avatar
the sauce

 
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:34 am
Location: Bay Area

Postby MoneyMike on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:49 am

pretty sick for a big man :jam2:
MoneyMike

 
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:10 pm
Location: Alaska

Postby MasterRaider on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:11 am

What was Shaq's coming out of college?
MasterRaider

 
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:51 pm

Postby dagreatkobe on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:42 am

im sorry but i think tyrus can get up higher than that... bynum has great athleticsm, but tyrus is explosive...
User avatar
dagreatkobe

 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:27 am

dagreatkobe wrote:im sorry but i think tyrus can get up higher than that... bynum has great athleticsm, but tyrus is explosive...


so, you choose to ignore the evidence?

not that bynum strikes me as a great athlete, but if those numbers are from the pre-draft camps, they're pretty reliable.
abeer3

 
Posts: 9964
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Postby la3346 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:09 am

dagreatkobe wrote:im sorry but i think tyrus can get up higher than that... bynum has great athleticsm, but tyrus is explosive...


I think the difference is Thomas is running and "hangs" in the air longer, giving the appearance of explosiveness. Think about it, Thomas relies on his vertical to get the same reach, so he's able to stay airborne longer than Bynum, both on his way up and down.
User avatar
la3346

 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 12:20 pm

Re: Bynum's athleticism deceptive?

Postby Stearnfxr on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:02 pm

I wish you wouldn't use that crap rapid share, can't you use Utube?
Stearnfxr

 
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:31 am

Postby kb the assassin on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:12 pm

MoneyMike wrote:pretty sick for a big man :jam2:
User avatar
kb the assassin

 
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:46 pm
Location: Cali4nia

Postby 21_Blessings on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:53 pm

I think Bynum's problem is he doesn't know how to use his athleticism and body correctly yet. He is still raw.

Playing more minutes will alleviate that problem, but will probably take 2-3 more years.

la3346 wrote:Here's the video of Bynum's dunk:

http://rapidshare.de/files/25417031/SPL ... f.mpg.html


Bynum looked very good in that video. All that criticism from game 1 about 'holding the ball' was not any of those highlights. Bynum looked very decisive and his passing was crisp.

Also, Farmar :mhihi:
User avatar
21_Blessings

 
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:40 pm
Location: Living vicariously through my Lakers Dyansty DVDs

Postby mm708 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:01 pm

How does rapidshare work?
User avatar
mm708

 
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:30 pm

Postby Freakout on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:27 pm

Anyone else's video lockup at the 40 second mark?
Freakout

 
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 2:12 pm

Re: Bynum's athleticism deceptive?

Postby Murdock on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:43 pm

la3346 wrote:Check out this dunk by Tyrus Thomas:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ldgQbvC_tfg& ... s%20thomas

Pretty impressive right? But then compare that with this

Image

and you'll see that Bynum's hands are actually a bit higher than Thomas'(pause Thomas' dunk, at no point, his hands are higher than Bynum's.)

Here's the video of Bynum's dunk:

http://rapidshare.de/files/25417031/SPL ... f.mpg.html

You can tell that Thomas were running at full steam while Bynum is standing still.

Now Tyrus Thomas has a standing reach of 9'0 and a max vertical of 39", and a max jumping reach of 12'3(you can get this just by adding those two together). According to Mitch, Bynum can reach 9 inches above the top of the backboard inner square, which is 22 inches high(it's actually 18 inches, but the lines add 2 inches each), which would make his max reach 12'7.

Now Bynum is rumored to have a 33" standing vertical and a 37" max vertical, add them together and it would come out 12'3 for standing vertical and 12'7 for max reach. Well, 12'3 is Thomas running(max) reach, and we can see in the video that Thomas's running jump(max) reach is equal to Bynum's standing vertical reach, so clearly he's not lying.
What's even more impressive is that Howard has a max reach of 12'6, so Bynum can actually reach 1" higher than Howard.

However, if you look at the video of Bynum's dunk, Bynum sure didn't "look" explosive. What I'd like to see is someone to throw Bynum a lob pass while he gets a full head of steam, perhaps then we'll see his explosiveness.


Yo man can you tell where i can find 2nd half ... and where do you post the videos of SPL of other games ... thnx
User avatar
Murdock

 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:33 am

Postby Tai Mai Shu on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:10 pm

mm708 wrote:How does rapidshare work?


click the "Free" button...then wait like 30 seconds, enter the code int he box and download.
User avatar
Tai Mai Shu

 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:55 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA

Postby Triumph Jelani on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:23 am

get back on the block & show me something.
User avatar
Triumph Jelani

 
Posts: 3935
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Las Vegas

Postby damNzzi~ on Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:47 am

I think people read too much into vertical stuff nowadays...

I think it mattered alot before, because the tempo of the game was slower. If a guy could jump high, he would dunk on people. Guys had some time to gather and do their moves.

In today's league i think that vertical is VERY overrated facet of a player's athleticism. Explosiveness is WAY more important, because people get faster,stronger and the game is played at faster pace.

Why do you think Amaré dunked on people like nothing? It isn't like he has out-of-this-world vertical jumping ability...
The guy is SUPER-explosive. He can explode any second and dunk on someone. Same goes for guys like Kobe,T-Mac and Shaq (just for example) whom can explode anytime. We have seen Kobe explode for a block in a millisecond.

Bynum isn't by any means explosive (amare-like), but his vertical is pretty fine. That's why it takes time for him to dunk. He can't and won't just explode in traffic and facialise people. It's just not his game because his physicue doesn't allow it.

What if he would be explosive? There's another Shaq for you right there. Elite size, good vertical and vgood work ethic.

It's just that you can't have it all. Shaq didn't have the work ethic. :bang:
Kobe wanted a team of his own. Now let's see how it will work out....
Image
-- The Passion of the Kobe
User avatar
damNzzi~

 
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:47 am

Postby mpresev on Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:17 am

Frankly, besides Shaq. Who is the 2nd best Center? to me it's Bynum even though he hasn't really played yet I just know he is the next best center... WE might see this this year.
"I smoke but do not inhale"
User avatar
mpresev

 
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:38 pm

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:20 am

mpresev wrote:Frankly, besides Shaq. Who is the 2nd best Center? to me it's Bynum even though he hasn't really played yet I just know he is the next best center... WE might see this this year.

Ever heared of the Chinese Wall? well most likely not because then you would no that Shaq isn´t the best C in the league.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55506
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby damNzzi~ on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:23 am

mpresev wrote:Frankly, besides Shaq. Who is the 2nd best Center? to me it's Bynum even though he hasn't really played yet I just know he is the next best center... WE might see this this year.


Stop posting, please.

Zo'
Shaq
Yao
Gasol
Amare
Miller
J'Oneal
Kaman
Kandiman
Bogut
Magloire
Wallace
Krstic

etc etc.

All better than Bynum :freak2:
Kobe wanted a team of his own. Now let's see how it will work out....
Image
-- The Passion of the Kobe
User avatar
damNzzi~

 
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:47 am

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 am

I agree with all but Kandiman...Bynum > Kandiman
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55506
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby High IQ on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:13 am

hell even Mihm is somehow better than Bynum RIGHT NOW.
User avatar
High IQ

 
Posts: 12779
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:05 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:36 am

^

Why even Mihm - Mihm is a legit starter, and many teams in the league could use him irght now. Bynum has more potential than Mihm, sure - but Mihm has a lot of experience as a backup center and as a starter.

I believe Bynum will develop into a very solid starting NBA center. Everything over that is just gravy. Because good real centers are rare. If you look at the list above - sure it's true. Most of those guys are better players than Socks (right now). But how many legit centers do we see there?

Shaq, Yao, Miller, Kaman, Krstic, maybe Ben... that's pretty much it.

In the worst case, Bynum should be very good defensive center. Someone who can alter and block shots and push people around. Because he will be a huge 300-pound man soon.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37048
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Next

Return to Summer League 2013

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.