BYNUM should be the focal point!!

BYNUM should be the focal point!!

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:42 am

This would give give Andrew a chance to have plays run for him. I think 70% of the plays should be called for him to ensure that he learns timing and patience on offense. Read what the defense gives him and the like so it could carry over during the pre-season games.

I don't really care about the number of wins for the SPL team. I just want Andrew to show what his got and if he is worth all the hoopla. I wish I could watch the games, though.
KareemTheGreat33

Postby slimjim on Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:52 am

andrew is on the team...

these other guys want to make the team....

o look so and so can pass to bynum nicely... lets sign him?.... :man10:

sorry bro... but the SPL is all about showing your own skills to prove you deserve a roster spot... not developing someone that has already made the roster...
slimjim

Postby BDG on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:28 pm

slimjim wrote:sorry bro... but the SPL is all about showing your own skills to prove you deserve a roster spot... not developing someone that has already made the roster...
Somewhat true, but it's also about showing that you're coachable and can stick within the game plan.

Two examples...

Devin Green now has a roster spot just because he moved well off the ball and played decent defense. He never had a spectacular performance at the SPL, but he played within the team concept and the staff liked that.

Will Conroy didn't make the team, but got a camp invite just for playing solid defense and not forcing the issue.

All that said, the Lakers definitely will run some more plays for Bynum. He now can hold his own in the paint and he's learned so much about the fundamentals of the game working with Kareem.

If anyone was able to watch Andrew play at last year's SPL, it's clear that he's shown vast improvement from that time.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:56 pm

slimjim wrote:
not developing someone that has already made the roster...

I disagree. SPL is part of the process for young players to excel and get confident, not just to find hidden gems. That's why they have assistant coaches handle the SPL team: to teach and develop young players already in the NBA roster.
KareemTheGreat33

Postby oomaderpakaroo on Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:22 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
slimjim wrote:sorry bro... but the SPL is all about showing your own skills to prove you deserve a roster spot... not developing someone that has already made the roster...
Somewhat true, but it's also about showing that you're coachable and can stick within the game plan.

Two examples...

Devin Green now has a roster spot just because he moved well off the ball and played decent defense. He never had a spectacular performance at the SPL, but he played within the team concept and the staff liked that.

Will Conroy didn't make the team, but got a camp invite just for playing solid defense and not forcing the issue.

All that said, the Lakers definitely will run some more plays for Bynum. He now can hold his own in the paint and he's learned so much about the fundamentals of the game working with Kareem.

If anyone was able to watch Andrew play at last year's SPL, it's clear that he's shown vast improvement from that time.

I agree... Bynum really improved from what I say at last years SPL... He now has experience and would do great this year...

I can't wait till SPL starts!!!
oomaderpakaroo

Postby Staples on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:49 pm

oomaderpakaroo wrote:
BryantDunkGiant wrote:

Two examples...

I agree... Bynum really improved from what I say at last years SPL... He now has experience and would do great this year...

I can't wait till SPL starts!!!
I agree and welcome to the site. :jam2:
Staples

Postby BDG on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:27 pm

Yeah, welcome to CL :man1:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:19 pm

as of right now bynums body muscle tone looks like KGs but leaner more thicker
PurpleNGold1

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:22 am

slimjim wrote:andrew is on the team...

these other guys want to make the team....

o look so and so can pass to bynum nicely... lets sign him?.... :man10:

sorry bro... but the SPL is all about showing your own skills to prove you deserve a roster spot... not developing someone that has already made the roster...

Half true. In the past, Laker roster players such as Mark Madsen, Kareem Rush, Janero Pargo, etc. all returned for an additional stint with the SPL to hone their skills. I believe Vlad Radmonovic played on two if not three SPL Sonic squads even with a guaranteed roster spot. So, it's a bit of both.
Alleyhoops

Re: BYNUM should be the focal point!!

Postby socaguy on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:29 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:This would give give Andrew a chance to have plays run for him. I think 70% of the plays should be called for him to ensure that he learns timing and patience on offense. .

you got your wish today. I was at the game. when Bynum was on the floor, they did look for him. I noticed Bynum did a great job establishing position. But when the ball went to him, I felt he was not assertive and had a tendency to pass the ball when he was single covered.

he got a couple of dunks but other times, he took way too long gathering himself to go up. As a result, he got his shot blocked once and got stripped a few times.

physically, he looked great. pretty fast running up & down the floor for a big guy. he was even in a semi-fastbreak, they lobbed the ball to him. not the greatest lob but it was close enough to the basket and bynum was very open. he however missed the alley-opp dunk. we left in the early 4th qtr, bynum got 8 pts with 5 fouls. not exactly a "dominance" performance. I can't recall he had a defensive rebound.

i know. only 1 game. probably was nervous with this being the 1st game. will see how he does tomorrow.
socaguy

Postby la3346 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:40 pm

How explosive did he look on those dunks?
la3346

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:22 pm

As for Devin Green last SPL, he was one of the best performers, at least statistically. He averaged 11.8 points (3rd on team), 5.0 boards (3rd on team), 2.3 assists. He also shot 46%...so he had an all-around solid performance.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LUUUKE on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:32 pm

honestly..BYNUM looked like crap..everyone around me was pissed cause bynum showed no improvements..

his post movess are basic..he backs down..and tries to turn around and do a shaq type of move without even jumping..

his blocking is horrendous..he fouls the play almost everytime..

but this is still the SPL..where players are just looking to score and not pass so they can get a roster spot..

hopefully when bynum plays with true starters he'll be great..

oh yea..it was weird..they were doubling bynum!?!?!?!?!?
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:52 pm

BDG wrote:If anyone was able to watch Andrew play at last year's SPL, it's clear that he's shown vast improvement from that time.

I haven't seen him in the SPL last year. But watching him today I knew he has improved (except for the fouls) since early last season. He managed to score in double-figures despite only getting few minutes because of foul problems. He might have gotten more had the fouls not been an issue.

Problems with his game:

-Often looking too long for teamates when the double-teams come instead of being more aggressive. On the other hand his teamates were often standing around and not moving when the double-teams came to Bynum. :man5:

-Needs to do a better job of establishing rebounding position. The Grizzlies big man kept pushing him around.

- Just being more aggressive overall.

Positives:

-Way better % from the free throw line.

-Caught 2 passes from Farmar for possible dunks. One pass didn't connect because he was fouled and the ref didn't call it. :mad1:

-Got at least 2 blocks. He should have gotten one more but the dumb ref called it a foul. :man2:

- He has a better understanding of the game than last year. He's now riding without training wheels. Now he needs to start pedaling harder and being more aggressive with his game.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:03 pm

LUUUKE wrote:honestly..BYNUM looked like crap..everyone around me was pissed cause bynum showed no improvements..

his post movess are basic..he backs down..and tries to turn around and do a shaq type of move without even jumping..

his blocking is horrendous..he fouls the play almost everytime..

but this is still the SPL..where players are just looking to score and not pass so they can get a roster spot..

hopefully when bynum plays with true starters he'll be great..

oh yea..it was weird..they were doubling bynum!?!?!?!?!?

Bynum has improved. Especially his free throw shooting. He also scored double-figures despite playing fewer minutes because of fouls.

About 3 of his 6 fouls were his fault while the other 3 were horrendous. One of them occured when Bynum had a forearm on the back of a Grizzly player and the guy reached out too far to grab a pass and stumbled when he grabbed it. The ref whistled Bynum for the call believing that he pushed the grizzly player in the back. :man5:

The only thing that hasn't improved noticeably is his aggressiveness. Of course, agressivness is the improvement most fans want to see and notice more easily. It will come eventually, it's the little things you have to look out for.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:31 pm

For 20 minutes, 12 pts 5 boards 2 blks..in foul trouble

Not looking good so far.. :man5:

I hope he dominates the next few games.
KareemTheGreat33

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:51 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:For 20 minutes, 12 pts 5 boards 2 blks..in foul trouble

I hope he dominates the next few games.

12 points in 20 minutes aint bad.

As far as foul trouble goes, about half of them were bad calls by the refs. But it's still 3 fouls in 20 minutes, so it's still something he has to improve on.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:10 am

^^^ Did Farmar look for him at the outset? It would be nice if the two of them can develop some sort of chemistry..Just to have that during the season would be awesome off the bench.
KareemTheGreat33

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:50 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:^^^ Did Farmar look for him at the outset? It would be nice if the two of them can develop some sort of chemistry..Just to have that during the season would be awesome off the bench.

He started looking for Bynum more in the 2nd quarter and the rest of the game. Sometimes he was hesitant though, because the greek guy who was guarding Bynum would constantly be putting his arms out in front of Bynum's face and probably intimidating Farmar into believing the pass would be picked off.

The problem is that Farmar needs to understand that Bynum's arms are longer than the Greek guy's arms and he and Bynum need to practice passing the ball high kinda like Kobe would do with Shaq.

On a positive note, Farmar did connect with Bynum on a sweet alley hoop.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby scott121 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:57 am

[quote="KareemTheGreat33"]For 20 minutes, 12 pts 5 boards 2 blks..in foul trouble

I hope he dominates the next few games.[/quote]

what do you excepted from him? a point a minute?
scott121

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:33 am

revgen wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:^^^ Did Farmar look for him at the outset? It would be nice if the two of them can develop some sort of chemistry..Just to have that during the season would be awesome off the bench.

He started looking for Bynum more in the 2nd quarter and the rest of the game. Sometimes he was hesitant though, because the greek guy who was guarding Bynum would constantly be putting his arms out in front of Bynum's face and probably intimidating Farmar into believing the pass would be picked off.

The problem is that Farmar needs to understand that Bynum's arms are longer than the Greek guy's arms and he and Bynum need to practice passing the ball high kinda like Kobe would do with Shaq.

On a positive note, Farmar did connect with Bynum on a sweet alley hoop.

Thanks dude..It's nice to have someone to answer these things.. If only they could put this on nbatv then I'll have a chance to watch it..

Scott--no, just hoping that he dominates against these obviously inferior opponents (as compared to actual NBA veterans), not just scoring but defending the paint and rebounding..
KareemTheGreat33

Return to Summer League 2013