Coby Karl To Play For Lakers In Summer League

Coby Karl To Play For Lakers In Summer League

Postby Critical Beatdown on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:20 pm

Coby Karl has signed to play for us in the summer league. It seems like a good fit because he has the skill set to play lead guard in the Tri. I sure would love to see Quinton Hosley on that team too.

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - Former Boise State University basketball player Coby Karl says he will play for the Los Angeles Lakers' summer league team in Las Vegas.

Karl wasn't chosen in Thursday's NBA draft.

But he reached a deal with the Lakers to play in the summer league.

The Vegas Summer League runs from July 6th to 15th and includes 21 NBA teams and the Chinese national team.

Karl says he likes the Lakers and the team runs a system that fits his style.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=6733172
...as I enter your mind, decorate and paint my sign...LA Lakers will be 2008-09 NBA Champions!
Critical Beatdown

Postby live and die in LA on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:24 pm

I like this summer league signing. His skills fit into the triangle offense. Unfortunately he is a matador on defense and isnt very athletic. LA Defenders?
live and die in LA

Re: Coby Karl To Play For Lakers In Summer League

Postby Ianxcom on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:24 pm

Don't know him but I'm interested to see him play. I googled and youtubed him and didnt get anything. Maybe someone has a pic or some footage.
Goodbye Odom, you will be missed
Ianxcom

Location: We always think there's something better in the place we are not, In dreams the reality of it all...

Postby JuanoLAL on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:26 pm

I'll be there. :jam2:
JuanoLAL

Postby Black Sheep91 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Time to open up the summer league forum I think, signings are happening :jam2:
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby Sakuraba on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:29 pm

live and die in LA wrote:I like this summer league signing. His skills fit into the triangle offense. Unfortunately he is a matador on defense and isnt very athletic. LA Defenders?

Another Mitch Fruitcake special? Hasn't he been drafting these type of players for years?
Sakuraba

Postby Critical Beatdown on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:33 pm

DraftExpress on Karl's play at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp:

One of the best stories at this pre-draft camp any way you slice it, Coby Karl came in here determined to show that he is a lot more than that. If there was one name on the invite list that people would scrutinize due to his father’s obvious NBA connections and the fact that he already played here (poorly, besides the last day) last year—its Coby Karl. With all that off our chest, we can say with full confidence that Karl not only deserved his invite, but he was also one of the best players in attendance as his spot on this list would indicate. What makes this fact even more surprising is the fact that he is coming off (his second) throat cancer surgery just 2 months ago—meaning he probably isn’t even at 100%.

Karl surprisingly played the point guard position for most of his time on the floor, looking quite natural doing so. He has excellent ball-handling skills and the imagination and flair needed to make some highlight reel caliber passes. Karl clearly has spent some time watching footage of his father’s team, the Nuggets, showing no shame whatsoever in throwing an unexpected alleyoop lob or behind the back feed to complete a pick and roll play. A Denver scout told us after one particular game with a grin that Karl Sr. threatened to fine his son $500 for one careless turnover caused by his over-enthusiasm. Regardless of the turnover, Karl was responsible for some excellent assists, particularly in the first game where he had 6 compared to just one turnover.

In the drills, Karl looked a bit overmatched in the one on one portions, where his average quickness and first step really showed. In the actual games, though, this didn’t seem to be nearly as much of a problem, as he utilized screens beautifully and showed little hesitation making strong moves to the paint instantly right as the ball was swung to him. He drew a fantastic 7 fouls per game on average in just 20 minutes per game, some of which were converted together with the and-1.

As a shooter, Karl excels, thanks to a quick, but unorthodox release. He shows little hesitation getting his shot off, and already has NBA range as indicated by the 3-5 he shot from behind the arc at this camp.

More at the link.

http://draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=1254
...as I enter your mind, decorate and paint my sign...LA Lakers will be 2008-09 NBA Champions!
Critical Beatdown

Postby live and die in LA on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Sakuraba wrote:
live and die in LA wrote:I like this summer league signing. His skills fit into the triangle offense. Unfortunately he is a matador on defense and isnt very athletic. LA Defenders?

Another Mitch Fruitcake special? Hasn't he been drafting these type of players for years?

It's not like he will ever play significant minutes for the Lakers, he is just a really good story. Son of George Karl, he is a cancer survivor and he has a very high IQ in the game of basketball.
live and die in LA

Postby westcoast21 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:42 pm

Coby to Kobe for the alley-hoop!!!! :mhihi:
westcoast21

Postby Sakuraba on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:44 pm

live and die in LA wrote:
Sakuraba wrote:

It's not like he will ever play significant minutes for the Lakers, he is just a really good story. Son of George Karl, he is a cancer survivor and he has a very high IQ in the game of basketball.

I wasn't aware of the story behind it but if he's another mediocre athlete and matador defender, I'm going to hunt Fruitcake down and skin and quarter him. It's just a summer invite so no big deal.
Sakuraba

Postby 2Quik4U on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:54 pm

Imagine him, Luke, Marc, Sun, and Theo all on the floor? That's a lotta good passing and nearly non-existant defense. :man10:
2Quik4U

Postby kbitboc on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:59 pm

is this George Karl's son?
kbitboc

Postby kobeslaker on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:00 pm

Is there any roster or something like that?
kobeslaker

Postby Black Sheep91 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:02 pm

kbitboc wrote:is this George Karl's son?

yes, yes it is
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby strikemode14 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:58 pm

He better pray he don't make the squad. If so Kobe is going to dunk on that kid all through practice.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby trodgers on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:09 pm

I was following him a bit during pre-draft camp. Definitely sounds like a triangle guy offensively.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby THE_DAGGER on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:29 pm

It's great that he survived cancer. God Bless him.

But, I hope he gets a spot on the roster just so he could be Kobe's whipping boy all season long for all that trash George Karl used to talk about Kobe.
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Postby trodgers on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:42 pm

2Quik4U wrote:Imagine him, Luke, Marc, Sun, and Theo all on the floor? That's a lotta good passing and nearly non-existant defense. :man10:

I think they'd all just stand at the arc and pass the ball for all 24 seconds trying to see who could make the prettiest pass.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Shadow on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:43 pm

I would love to have him, mainly because just like Ronny, he is here on a mission trying to defeat all odds!
Shadow

Postby Ianxcom on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:39 pm

trodgers wrote:
2Quik4U wrote:Imagine him, Luke, Marc, Sun, and Theo all on the floor? That's a lotta good passing and nearly non-existant defense. :man10:

I think they'd all just stand at the arc and pass the ball for all 24 seconds trying to see who could make the prettiest pass.

:man10:
Goodbye Odom, you will be missed
Ianxcom

Location: We always think there's something better in the place we are not, In dreams the reality of it all...

Postby halekulani on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:57 pm

i like the kid
doubtful he has the skill level to compete in the nba though.
halekulani

One more...

Postby gcclaker on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:27 pm

trodgers wrote:
2Quik4U wrote:Imagine him, Luke, Marc, Sun, and Theo all on the floor? That's a lotta good passing and nearly non-existent defense. :man10:

If Sasha was part of that group, he would hoist up the shot and of course miss it. With him on that five, you complete the utterly defenseless five.

:mhihi:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe888 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:48 pm

We should get the two Arizona University undraftees to our summer league.
kobe888

Postby The Laker Link on Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:00 pm

Maybe he'll end up playing for the D-Fenders and in a year or two...if he developes....they can draft him or call him up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Laker Link

Postby Jordan-esque on Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:30 pm

It'll be fun to see the look on George Karl's because he hates the Lakers, and now he has to support his son wearing purple & gold for the summer.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Next

Return to Summer League 2013