Daily Bruin: Farmar takes quickly to Lakers’ offense

Daily Bruin: Farmar takes quickly to Lakers’ offense

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:39 pm

Daily Bruin: Jordan Farmar isn't wasting any time proving he belongs in the NBA.

The new Los Angeles Lakers guard shined in his first two professional games over the weekend at the Long Beach Summer Pro League.

In a Lakers loss to the Memphis Grizzlies on Saturday in front of a sold-out Walter Pyramid crowd of 5,000, Farmar wowed the Lakers-fan-dominated crowd, scoring 17 points in 30 minutes on the floor.

Farmar's follow-up game wasn't too shabby, either. He scored 13 points, dished out six assists, and had four steals in a 97-69 Lakers rout of the Mavericks.

Lakers summer league coach Kurt Rambis was impressed with what he saw of Farmar.

"He has good instincts; he makes good reads, good decisions," Rambis said. "I appreciate the fact that he's out there trying to run the offense. He, as well as anybody, has picked up the offense the quickest. He seems like he's been studying it or something. He knows what he wants to do."

From the looks of the first two games, the Lakers' offense seems to be a great fit for Farmar, who scored most of his points inside on drives to the basket and set up open shots for others on similar drives. Picking up the offense has been no problem for Farmar so far.

"It's not that difficult," Farmar said. "If you know how to play basketball, its pretty basic right now. I'm sure there's more stuff down the road, but what we're doing right now is pretty easy."

Rambis, though, couldn't stress enough how difficult it is for young players to thrive in the Lakers' offense right away, when discussing some of the Lakers' other younger players, namely Von Wafer and undrafted San Diego State rookie Marcus Slaughter.

"It's always difficult for kids to come in and pick up this offense," Rambis said. "We've only had five or six practices, and most guys don't pick up this offense for a year or two."

The Lakers team Farmar is playing on this summer has three players on the roster – Wafer, Devin Green and Andrew Bynum – who actually saw playing time last year. The other players are mostly undrafted rookies vying for a spot at Lakers training camp.

Bynum, the Lakers' 7-foot first-round pick in last year's draft, was one of Farmar's favorite targets this weekend.

"(Farmar) has made a really good impression," Bynum said. "I like the way he looks to pass to the big man. A lot of guys don't do that. I like his floater coming down the paint – it's a really good shot to have."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Still A Dynasty on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:45 pm

word is Bynum and Farmar are becoming extremely close. good news.

I likeFarmar more than ever now....
Still A Dynasty

Postby dagreatkobe on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:02 pm

Still A Dynasty wrote:word is Bynum and Farmar are becoming extremely close. good news.

I likeFarmar more than ever now....

same here...
dagreatkobe

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:27 pm

Oh, dear. I'm disturbed by the way Bynum refers to himself in the third person as "the big man". It's too reminiscent of Shaq.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:26 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:Oh, dear. I'm disturbed by the way Bynum refers to himself in the third person as "the big man". It's too reminiscent of Shaq.

:man10: :man10: :man10:
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby grego on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:54 pm

I can't believe my paper was such a retard. They send another photographer out there, because I was feeling sick leading up to it. Then they don't use his photo, when he was called towards the last minute. Oh well. stupid new photo editors!! Good job Ben Azar!!
grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby Sirron on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:55 pm

revgen wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:Oh, dear. I'm disturbed by the way Bynum refers to himself in the third person as "the big man". It's too reminiscent of Shaq.

:man10: :man10: :man10:

ayyyaaaiiiiyaiiiii....... :man10:
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby nicehair911 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:09 pm

This is why I say Farmar will be a startr. Everyone says "Phil doesn't play rookies" WRONG! Phil doesn't play people that don't know the triangle.
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Postby jbiggs on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:11 pm

nicehair911 wrote:This is why I say Farmar will be a startr. Everyone says "Phil doesn't play rookies" WRONG! Phil doesn't play people that don't know the triangle.

i disagree that farmar will start over smush, however i do agree he will get much more time than phil normally gives rookies
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:13 pm

nicehair911 wrote:This is why I say Farmar will be a startr. Everyone says "Phil doesn't play rookies" WRONG! Phil doesn't play people that don't know the triangle.

Nice theory, but 100% wrong.

Games started by Phil Jackson rookies:
Ronny-1
Douthit-0
Bynum-0
Wafer-0
Luke-2
Cook-2
Sasha-3
Keith Booth-0
Caffey-0
Simpkins-5
Blount-8
C. Williams-0
Randall-0
Kukoc-8
Steigenga-0

Farmar's chances of starting...
Zero
none
nada
zip
ziltch

In case you don't speak English
ninguno (Spanish)
aucun (French)
Keiner (German)
nessuno (Italian)
Geen (Dutch)
ни один (Russian)
ingen (Norwegian)
没有什么 (Chinese)

In fact, at the thought of starting a rookie, Phil would kill himself, just so he could rollover in his grave.
JSM

Postby nicehair911 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:24 pm

JSM wrote:

Ronny-1
Douthit-0
Bynum-0
Wafer-0
Luke-2
Cook-2
Sasha-3
Keith Booth-0
Caffey-0
Simpkins-5
Blount-8
C. Williams-0
Randall-0
Kukoc-8
Steigenga-0

Zero
none
nada
zip
ziltch

ninguno (Spanish)
aucun (French)
Keiner (German)
nessuno (Italian)
Geen (Dutch)
?? ???? (Russian)
ingen (Norwegian)
???? (Chinese)

In fact, at the thought of starting a rookie, Phil would kill himself, just so he could rollover in his grave.

How many of those people knew the triangle their first year?
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:33 pm

nicehair911 wrote:How many of those people knew the triangle their first year?

Big difference in "getting it" vs. scrubs who won't play in the NBA than against real NBA players.

Wake me up when he faces off against his first NBA PG.

Plus the pressure at the SPL is nearly non existent for him. He's not fighting for a roster spot likes these a lot of these other guys. The pressure doesn't start for him until training camp where he will battle Shammu for the backup role.
JSM

Postby kb the assassin on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:37 pm

common guys we cant expect him 2 start right away give him a year or to before he could see some minutes and he has not play against a nba pointguard yet you have to wait till preseason to see if he could get some minutes but he will be compeing with shammond "shammu" williams for some backup minutes
kb the assassin

Postby kkmrx7 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:32 pm

grego wrote:I can't believe my paper was such a retard. They send another photographer out there, because I was feeling sick leading up to it. Then they don't use his photo, when he was called towards the last minute. Oh well. stupid new photo editors!! Good job Ben Azar!!

its all about the sudoku :mhihi:
Yeah, I stole the sig.
kkmrx7

Postby ZenMaster4President on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:22 am

OK, JSM. We already know that you didn't like the pick. No need to go out of your way to prove it to everybody.

Oh, and I will dig this thread up, you can count on it. I am planning to do so for every doubter and nay-sayer.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby grego on Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:28 am

kkmrx7 wrote:
grego wrote:I can't believe my paper was such a retard. They send another photographer out there, because I was feeling sick leading up to it. Then they don't use his photo, when he was called towards the last minute. Oh well. stupid new photo editors!! Good job Ben Azar!!

its all about the sudoku :mhihi:

The photo department/sports department can sometimes get screwy. Well glad you enjoy sudoku. They are pretty challenging.
grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby A Rush on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:07 am

By all accounts, Smush was a rookie last year, especially in the T. Started 82 games for Phil.

I'm pretty sure Farmar won't start games at the ebginning of the season. However, I will be pretty surprised if he doesn't start at least a couple of games later in the season.
A Rush

Postby D Nice on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:29 am

JSM wrote:

Ronny-1
Douthit-0
Bynum-0
Wafer-0
Luke-2
Cook-2
Sasha-3
Keith Booth-0
Caffey-0
Simpkins-5
Blount-8
C. Williams-0
Randall-0
Kukoc-8
Steigenga-0

Zero
none
nada
zip
ziltch

ninguno (Spanish)
aucun (French)
Keiner (German)
nessuno (Italian)
Geen (Dutch)
ни один (Russian)
ingen (Norwegian)
没有什么 (Chinese)

:man10: :man10:

Nice
D Nice

Postby dj vitus on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:19 pm

JSM wrote:
nicehair911 wrote:How many of those people knew the triangle their first year?

Big difference in "getting it" vs. scrubs who won't play in the NBA than against real NBA players.

In the same line, he's playing WITH scrubs who don't get it, either. And he's outshining them right now, so that's a plus. It's better than hearing him fumbling the ball all the time and tripping over his own feet against scrubs. Look on the bright side and have hope.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Return to Summer League 2013