Former Blue Devil in SPL...

Former Blue Devil in SPL...

Postby GuRu on Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:22 am

Horvath joins Lakers squad
Monday, July 3, 2006 - 11:25 AM
NBL, stuff.co.nz

Nick HorvathFormer West Sydney Razorback Nick Horvath concluded his NZNBL season at the weekend and now heads to the USA where he will join the LA Lakers’ SummerProLeague squad for a shot at the NBA.

Horvath may have missed out on a shot at the New Zealand NBL title but the Wellington Saints import won't be leaving New Zealand empty-handed.

The American will board a flight on Monday bound for California where he will join the Lakers' SummerProLeague squad.

Horvath will join a 10-man squad made up mostly of the players hand-picked in last week's draft as the Lakers finalise their 2007 NBA roster.

"Kobe Bryant won't be in the team, but it will be really good basketball," Horvath told Toby Robson of stuff.co.nz. "It's up to me to try to impress them. I think I've got a good shot because they have indicated they are very interested."

Horvath will play eight games in 13 days in the Southern California division, which includes teams from the Memphis Grizzlies, Washington Wizards and Dallas Mavericks.

Should he make the NBA it would cap a remarkable comeback after a knee injury forced suffered playing for the Razorbacks.

The injury has taught the 26-year-old to be optimistic. "If it doesn't work out then there will be a lot of scouts from Europe and the other NBA teams," he said.
Should he miss out on the NBA, Horvath said he would not rule out returning to Wellington for a second season.

"I will be back in the country for sure regardless. If I'm in the NBA I will come back for a holiday. But if I'm in Europe or Australia I'd love to come back to the Saints for sure."

Horvath averaged a team-high 19.7 points and 9.7 rebounds per game and shot 53.6 per cent from the field during the NZNBL after replacing countryman Tony Jones six games into the season.

He finished Saturday’s semi-final clash against the Auckland Stars with 19 points and 13 boards, but couldn't prevent the loss to the Auckland Stars.

LINK
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby hdtvset on Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:31 pm

Which position does he play?
hdtvset

Postby Massacre on Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:22 pm

Power Forward/Center
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Return to Summer League 2013