Fri. 7/11 - Lakers vs Pistons - Predictions/Comments

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:16 pm

Coby did an OK job, except for all the falling.
Last edited by Ras Algethi on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:17 pm

Why is Mata-Real back in?

Has he replaced Slava as our white flag?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Mitchell takes advantage of the loose ball. Lays it in and gets his 10th point.
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Coby-14 points, 4 rebounds
Dunston-11 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks
Ford-10 points, 5 rebounds, 5 TOs
Mitchell-10 points
Crawford-9 points, 4 TOs
Bozeman-6 points
Gray-4 & 2
Roberts-4 points, 5 TOs
White-3 points, 2 rebounds
Kemp-2 points
Mata-Real-4 rebounds, 3 TOs, 2 blocks
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Good: Coby and Dunston

Decent: Ford and Mitchell

Bad: everyone else

God awful: Roberts and Mata-Real
JSM

Postby DahaDan on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:37 pm

Cut Mata-Real and Roberts right now!!! :bow:
DahaDan

Postby paladizzle on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:11 pm

i hope jefferson gets to play next game...
paladizzle

Postby Moises on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:25 pm

We didn't see Jefferson or Yi Li but everyone else was just TERRIBLE. They look like a bunch of guys that you see regularly playing on the playground that have no game whatsoever. Just give Coby Karl the spot and move on. :mhihi:
Moises

Postby trodgers on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:42 pm

The numbers look miserable. No one impressed?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Andrew Bynum17 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Why didn't Jefferson play? Jefferson has the potential to be an NBA player and has huge upside instead they play people like Mata?

LOL mata is a bonified SCRUB!

Anyways...Ford kinda impressed me I watched the whole game...It seems like he's just always in the right place on offense and seemed to hustle...Obviously from the stats it doesn't reflect good things cuz he had 5 turnovers, but everyone was sloppy and he did really good against amir johnson and cheik samb I thought.

Another thing crawford looks pretty good... today his numbers weren't good but I think its because he felt the need to show something rather than stay poised...But he seems to like to drive and has a good shot...I like the pick for a late 2nd rounder. Will see how he responds to his bad game.
Andrew Bynum17

Postby LUUUKE on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:17 pm

crawford showed just what he is..a 2nd round pick

his driving and decision making need to improve..his shot mechanics looked good..i mean whos doesnt at this point
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:48 pm

I like Mitchell. Athletic freak and has a super-aggressive mentality slashing to the basket at will; great body--both strong and athletic. Check out these sick dunks. The problem is that he's a horrible free throw shooter; trust me, if he were even a decent free throw shooter (meaning 70% instead of like 59%), he would've been drafted. He had the stats at back him up at college, averaging like 16 pts, 8 rebs, 4 asts, and 2 steals for LA Lafayette; but he also couldn't shoot (no jumpshot) and averaged 4 turnovers per game. A real stat stuffer and shows some point guard potential as well, in like a homeless man's Dwyane Wade prototype. I clearly did underestimate him when I put him on my "cut" list, but that's more of a testament to what I thought was a lot of talent in the roster as opposed to anything else. He should warrant an extra look. Has some real unique strengths, but some really terrible, but correctable flaws.

I like what Dunston did this game too; rock solid strong undersized big men are currently in the fad in the NBA, with Brandon Bass, Leon Powe, Craig Smith and an assortment of other offensive-minded low post players. Dunston showed some ability scoring around the basket today, and he showed some of his shotblocking prowess (3 blocks today) that he had in college, when he averaged over 2 per game. Again, like Mitchell, I underestimated him a bit, but hopefully he can show more in way of rebounding and jumpshot in his next couple of games. I do see some potential in him.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Chicano on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:29 am

Calistrtballr wrote:its delayed now on nba stream
YOU NEVER RESPOND G'DAMN IT!! EVERYBODY ASKS YOU AND YOU NEVER RESPOND.. I WON'T STOP ANNOYING YOU AND ANYONE ELSE UNTIL YOU DO!

NOW, WHO IS THAT IN YOUR AVI??

DAMN, I FEEL LIKE SWOL. :mad1:
Chicano

Postby SignPippenNow on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:28 am

I would agree with your list JSM except I would add Crawford to decent list.
SignPippenNow

Postby JSM on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 am

SignPippenNow wrote:I would agree with your list JSM except I would add Crawford to decent list.

I think he was just trying too hard. He was too careless with the ball. His moves to the basket weren't controlled. And in the second half he seemed more interested in shooting long range bombs (could have been recommended by the coaching staff). I'm hoping that he got his "nervousness" out of the way and can have a more controlled game 2.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:30 am

JSM

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:46 am

JSM wrote:
SignPippenNow wrote:I would agree with your list JSM except I would add Crawford to decent list.

I think he was just trying too hard. He was too careless with the ball. His moves to the basket weren't controlled. And in the second half he seemed more interested in shooting long range bombs (could have been recommended by the coaching staff). I'm hoping that he got his "nervousness" out of the way and can have a more controlled game 2.

Agree with you about Crawford. His play was pretty crappy. Bombs and that was it - he didn't show any kind of diversity or versatility in his scoring which we've heard about. Dribbling off your knee doesn't help either. Hopefully he settles down.

I liked seeing Bozeman out there. Not HUGE impact, but a good solid player I thought. Always liked him on UCLA.

Ford looked good, Karl looked the best.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:41 am

HoopsWorld's Bill Ingram wrote:Game 3: Lakers vs. Pistons

The first thing you notice as the Pistons' summer league team takes the court is that most of them look familiar. Different teams assign varying levels of importance to the summer league process, and it's clear right from the start that the Pistons have some very specific goals in mind . . .while the Lakers are basically going through the motions.

Not that the LA squad doesn't have some nice talent. Lakers assistant coach Jim Cleamons commented to HOOPSWORLD's Steve Kyler that he didn't understand why they didn't draft Brian Roberts in the second round because he had an amazing workout for them. They were thrilled to get a chance to have him on the Vegas team. He and Pat Calathes, who may be the best player to go undrafted, flew in this morning as last-minute additions to the squad.

The Lakers actually did a pretty good job of hanging in this one after trailing by double-figures early. Coby (not Kobe) Karl scored eight points to lead the Lakers in the first quarter and Sharrod Ford stepped up in the third, but the onslaught of Rodney Stuckey and the Pistons turned the fourth quarter into garbage time fairly quickly.

Rodney Stuckey talked extensively about the importance of being aggressive, which he said was the one lesson Chauncey Billups constantly drills into him. His aggressive play in this game earned him a game-high 21 points with 9-10 from the free throw line. Arron Afflalo looked good in scoring 15 points, Amir Johnson had 12 points, but committed nine fouls, and Trent Plaisted had a nice game off the bench with 10 points on 4-5 shooting.

On the Lakers' side, Coby Karl was the high man with 14 points for a squad that shot 54% from the field. Their downfall, though, was the 28 turnovers that resulted in 36 points for Detroit. The 20 missed free throws didn't help, either.

If his game one was any indication of what he could bring to the team, THANK GOD that we didn't draft him. He had some of the worst hands of any of the guards I saw yesterday.

Also if you want to read Bill's recaps from the other games, click on the link.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:43 am

NBA.com: The Detroit Pistons cruised to an 84-73 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday at the 2008 NBA Summer League Presented by EA SPORTS.

Second-year guard Rodney Stuckey led all scorers with 21 points for the Pistons while second-year guard Coby Karl led the Lakers with 14 points.

The Pistons led by five at the end of the first quarter and by 10 at halftime. Stuckey set the early tone for the Pistons, scoring nine of his 11 first-half points in the opening quarter. The Lakers struggled in the first half, hitting just 9 of 22 shots.

The Lakers held the Pistons to just five points in the first five minutes of the third quarter and went on to outscore the Lakers by seven in the period. Detroit's defense answered the call by holding Los Angeles to just five points in the first five minutes of the fourth quarter, building a double-digit lead.

“I thought we did pretty well for our first ballgame,” Lakers Summer League head coach Dan Panaggio said. “They are a good ballclub. They had a little bit more size and maybe a little bit more experience, but I thought our guys played hard and they hung in there. At the end of the third quarter, we cut it to a one- or a two-point game and we may have run out of gas there. Maybe their size got to us.”

The Lakers-Pistons game was the third of the four games scheduled on the NBA Summer League's opening day.

Notes: Nuggets head coach George Karl was on hand to watch his son Coby, who plays for the Lakers. Both teams will take Saturday off and resume play Sunday as the Lakers take on the Grizzlies and the Pistons host the Clippers.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review Journal wrote:The planners of the event made a mistake in the first half. Apparently, they decided that a good time to bring out "Coyote," the mascot of the San Antonio Spurs.

Probably not a good idea during a Lakers game. The mostly pro-Lakers crowd did not warmly receive the not-so-lovable mascot.

Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review Journal wrote:Rodney Stuckey had 21 points, five rebounds and four assists to lead the Detroit Pistons past the Los Angeles Lakers 84-73 in the third game of the first day of action in the NBA Vegas Summer League at Cox Pavilion on the UNLV campus. Stuckey made 9 of 10 from the free-throw line. Aaron Afflalo added 15 points for Detroit.

Former Brigham Young forward Trent Plaisted had 10 points and five rebounds and thrilled the crowd with a powerful, two-handed dunk on a breakaway in the fourth quarter.

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl was in attendance watching his son, Coby, play for the Lakers.

"It's a lot of fun. Summertime is kind of for seeing what you've got for the upcoming year, and I thought he played well," Karl said of his son.

He also talked about competing against his son last season. Coby played in two games against the Nuggets, seeing three and two minutes of action and scoring one point.

"It's just a continuous process of being proud as a father," Karl said. "I admire and respect and love him for his perseverance. Not many people expected to see him in the NBA. I'm just a proud papa."

Karl led the Lakers with 14 points. Former UNR forward Marcelus Kemp scored two. Davon Jefferson did not play.
JSM

Postby SignPippenNow on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Lakerjones I find it funny that Crawford's game, his first in the triangle and first as a Laker, would be termed crappy, but Crittenton was praised to no end on another thread for a very similar statline in his game and this is his second year.
SignPippenNow

Previous

Return to Summer League 2013