Coby Karl
Marcelus Kemp
Yi Li
Lorenzo Mata-Real
Dwayne Mitchell
Brian Roberts
Michael Southhall
James White

Maybe I've lost the ability to count, but I count 16 names there.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby SignPippenNow on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Yeah it is 16 and I guess it will be 14 tomorrow night while they wait for Roberts and Calathes to get there from Orlando. JSM, did you see what CDR did last night in Orlando? Man I wish they could have traded up for him or Chalmers.
SignPippenNow

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:13 pm

^ What confused me was the OC Register blog article I posted about the 20 finalists said the roster had to be cut to 12. But obviously they were incorrect.

Yeah, I've been watching most of the Orlando Pro Summer League games. CDR was playing like a man possessed yesterday. :man5:
JSM

Postby JRocc88 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:50 pm

mark my words...Pat Calathes is gonna tear it up in the SPL. I'm surprised that he didn't get drafted. Guy's got great handles and passing skills for a 6'10" SF.
JRocc88

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:52 pm

JRocc88 wrote:mark my words...Pat Calathes is gonna tear it up in the SPL. I'm surprised that he didn't get drafted. Guy's got great handles and passing skills for a 6'10" SF.

I thought he would do well, but he's done absolutely nothing in Orlando this week.
JSM

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:53 pm

Nice roster--I'll elaborate more on my next post.

By the way-- how come our head coach for this year's SPL is Dan Panaggio? Last year it was Rambis with Shaw and Hamblen as assistant coaches.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:58 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:By the way-- how come our head coach for this year's SPL is Dan Panaggio? Last year it was Rambis with Shaw and Hamblen as assistant coaches.

Just a guess on my part, but because any of these guys that are earning a paycheck from the Lakers next year will be playing for him and not Phil.

And then maybe some will get invites to the D-Fenders.

It's actually not a bad idea. He has more experience teaching these guys the very basics as a head coach.

Or maybe the Lakers assistants think they've arrived (since they were sought after by several teams this summer), so they're above the summer league.
JSM

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Last year we actually had 13 players that made our final roster; with 16 in this roster and as JSM noted, in order to get it down to 12 we need to cut at least three or four of them most likely. Just eyeballing the names, in terms of talent, my opinion is that Michael Southall, Lorenzo Mata-Real, Sharrod Ford and Yi Li should get cut. I'm not a fan of Cedric Bozeman, so he barely scrapes off that list. But considering that three of those four names are "big" men, and considering that the Lakers probably won't cut Yi Li or Lorenzo Mata-Real due to their Asia and UCLA connections, respectively, it's probably Michael Southall, Sharrod Ford, and somewhat hesitatingly (because I have liked them in the past), Bryant Dunston and Dwayne Mitchell.

First of all, have to say that I love the talent in this roster. Most of these players have been hyped as a potential NBA player during their college careers, and some even had lottery type potential until for various reasons they fell out of the lottery. We have predraft camp warriors in Pat Calathes and Brian Roberts; Calathes was surprisingly undrafted despite being projected as a mid to late 2nd rounder, and Roberts drew interest from many NBA teams for his stellar shooting display. We also have some who were considered "the next big thing" at some point in their high school/college careers in Cedric Bozeman, Taj Gray, Davon Jefferson and James White; Bozeman was considered a top notch recruit in UCLA, and although I don't like his game at all, it's nice to know that he once had the potential to be something. Likewise, Taj Gray was once a lottery bound big man at one point in the draft process, until he didn't improve much in his senior year; same goes to Davon Jefferson and James White, athletic freaks in their own right who were once hyped as the "next big thing" with star potential although the light bulb never, and still hasn't, turned on for them. We also have accomplished college players, such as Nik Caner-Medley, Marcelus Kemp, Sharrod Ford and Bryant Dunston, all of whom have had some level of NBA second-round draft hype; most notably, Caner-Medley who nearly played his way into the Kings roster just a year ago, and while Kemp wasn't projected to be drafted, he was at several points considered a late 2nd round pick; Sharrod Ford and Bryant Dunston have also been in 2nd round mock drafts in the past and are a couple of bruising post players. Dwayne Mitchell was once considered a late 2nd round pick and still IMO has an intriguing skillset; Southall likewise was an NBA prospect in the past due to sheer length and athleticism. And this is not even counting our very own draft pick Joe Crawford and Coby Karl. This is a far deeper team than last year's team, when the only players I initially only recognized on the list (besides our players/draft picks) were literally only Jabari Smith and Rodney White, out of all the 12 players.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby halekulani on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:03 pm

bozeman has a great nba body, perfect for the lakers as a tall 6'6" who can play combo
too bad he can't put the skills together to be effective
halekulani

Postby SignPippenNow on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:30 pm

I don't think they will cut anyone. They don't have to get it down to 12, I think the article was just mistaken.
SignPippenNow

Postby Chicano on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:40 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:Nice roster--I'll elaborate more on my next post.

By the way-- how come our head coach for this year's SPL is Dan Panaggio? Last year it was Rambis with Shaw and Hamblen as assistant coaches.
I've always wondered, is that really you in your avi rydjorker121? I don't care how annoying it is, I'm gonna' keep asking you until the day you respond.. you ALWAYS ignore me.. :boxing1:
Chicano

Postby Melilla (Spain) on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:13 am

Michael Southall is the best player !!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SqJUjygY-ZY

:jam2: :jam2:
Melilla (Spain)

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:15 am

Chicano wrote:

I've always wondered, is that really you in your avi rydjorker121? I don't care how annoying it is, I'm gonna' keep asking you until the day you respond.. you ALWAYS ignore me.. :boxing1:

All right, I'll bite...when I was younger, I've always got a thing for the British pop band S Club 7. Not so much anymore, but I've sported the avi out of sheer randomness from my profile of pics--and too lazy to change it. The guy pictured is Bradley McIntosh.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby trodgers on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:45 am

rydjorker121 wrote:
Chicano wrote:

All right, I'll bite...when I was younger, I've always got a thing for the British pop band S Club 7. Not so much anymore, but I've sported the avi out of sheer randomness from my profile of pics--and too lazy to change it. The guy pictured is Bradley McIntosh.

That's awesome. He has asked you that question at least three times...I've laughed each time.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby MagicIS350 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 pm

I expect Yi Li to be a part of the roster.. they held scrimmage against the Clippers the other night and he held Eric Gordon scoreless when he was guarding Gordon..
GO LAKERS!!!
MagicIS350

Postby bobyahead on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Yi must have been real quick or great defensively to have shut gordan down. I know he is real thin standing at 6'9 capable of playing the 2 but...damn gordan not able to score on him.

I want to see him play now.
bobyahead

Postby Chicano on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 am

trodgers wrote:
rydjorker121 wrote:
Chicano wrote:

That's awesome. He has asked you that question at least three times...I've laughed each time.
Thanks rydjorker121, thanks a lot. You really don't know how much that means to me. All I wanted was an answer and this just show as another example in life, that if you stay persistent long enough, you might finally get your way eventually. Thanks man. What you just did was nothing short of heroic. :beer:
Chicano

Return to Summer League 2013