Lakers-Grizz Boxscore: July 8, 2006

Lakers-Grizz Boxscore: July 8, 2006

Postby grego on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:18 pm

I didn't see it and I saw people asking who did what. Here's the print out from the media table.

grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby SOAD on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do that.
SOAD
Club-Dodgers.com Admin

Postby Kobe8Bryant4Life on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:23 pm

Damn. Pinnock owned!
Kobe8Bryant4Life

Postby Kasumi on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Thanks Greg, I don't have my scanner here at the hotel so I was hoping someone else would post it.
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby MasterRaider on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:36 pm

For all the criticism Bynum got, he didn't play too bad statistically speaking. Some people were claiming he only scored 8 pts and had no rebounds. Haters.

Douthit and Farmar should be expected to perform as well as they did.

Pinnock is the nice surprise and will be next year's Wafer.

Wafer will go back to D-League after dominating SPL last year.
MasterRaider

Postby halekulani on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:38 pm

it's nice to see farmar getting to the line. 9 attempts is good

lawrence roberts wtf?!?! he looks like an all-star out there.
halekulani

Postby SOAD on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:39 pm

I just realized Turiaf isn't in there. Is that because there's a limit to how many returning players you can put in the roster?
SOAD
Club-Dodgers.com Admin

Postby jBL on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:43 pm

SOAD wrote:I just realized Turiaf isn't in there. Is that because there's a limit to how many returning players you can put in the roster?

He's playing for France National Team and Sasha too is playing for Slovenia?
jBL

Postby JSM on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Thanks. Looks like Pinnock had a very good game. Roberts dominated us.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby GCMD on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:13 pm

SEC baby...SEC :mhihi:
GCMD

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:20 pm

SOAD wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do that.

man, two points..
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby hype on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:24 pm

no TOs for farmar :jam2:
hype

Postby la3346 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:34 pm

12, 5 and 2 in 20 min for Bynum ain't bad at all. It's a lot better than I imagined, from the early reports. Project his numbers to 30 min and he'd have 18, 7.5 and 3. Of course his fouls would equal to 9, though from reading the various reports, the consensus is that Bynum got shafted on a couple of those fouls.

People who expect Bynum to average 20 and 10 are unrealistic. Amare at 19 averaged 13 and 8, Howard 18 and 7.5, Bynum still has another year to be even as old as those guys, when they put up those numbers. Overall, reading the various reports made me a lot more optimistic again, especially about that part about where Bynum got back on one play so fast, independently observed.
la3346

Postby bhatta on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:56 pm

You're right - expecting Bynum to get 20 and 10 in the NBA is ridiculous.

Expecting him to do it in a Summer League game when the other team has only one player above 6'10? I'd expect a better showing. He was slow and even Coach Rambis admitted after the game that he needs to make decisions quicker.

If he can't get it at SPL, how can we expect him to be a solid backup when the games matter?

No, this isn't a chicken little posting. This was just the first game of the Summer League and although he shouldn't have jitters since he was in the big show last season, he's probably a little rusty right now. I certainly hope he improves throughout the league, though. This SPL needs to be his coming out party; he needs to show the Lakers that he can be a viable backup to Kwame Brown.

If not, we'll have three centers on our roster .. the same ones that were on the roster last season.
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby grego on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:00 pm

He was calling out for the ball from time to time, but he didn't create position, so he could want the ball all game long, but he has to help create that along with the guy who feeds the post.
grego

Postby 10scott10 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:05 pm

bhatta wrote:You're right - expecting Bynum to get 20 and 10 in the NBA is ridiculous.

Expecting him to do it in a Summer League game when the other team has only one player above 6'10? I'd expect a better showing. He was slow and even Coach Rambis admitted after the game that he needs to make decisions quicker.

If he can't get it at SPL, how can we expect him to be a solid backup when the games matter?

No, this isn't a chicken little posting. This was just the first game of the Summer League and although he shouldn't have jitters since he was in the big show last season, he's probably a little rusty right now. I certainly hope he improves throughout the league, though. This SPL needs to be his coming out party; he needs to show the Lakers that he can be a viable backup to Kwame Brown.

If not, we'll have three centers on our roster .. the same ones that were on the roster last season.

lets see what you can do in 20 minutes, while being given the maverics treatment by the refs. those numbers are decent. yeah he only had like 17 points. but that was on 7 attempts. that is what i call effecient. and anyways, the important thing about the SPL is about the people not assured spots trying to get in, not the people who will be back.
10scott10

Postby la3346 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:10 pm

bhatta wrote:You're right - expecting Bynum to get 20 and 10 in the NBA is ridiculous.

Here's what I wrote in the other thread:

http://rapidshare.de/files/25338145/SPL ... f.mpg.html

A couple of observations:

First, he jumped very quickly for that offensive rebound. In other words, there's explosion there, clearly surprised me the first time I saw it. The dunk was so-so, but there was a guy to his right, contesting it. And he dunked it with two hands(and obviously, it's harder to get both hands over the rim than just one.) If that was Kwame, he probably would have tried to lay it off the glass.

As far as being slow, look at how he moves after setting a screen. From what I remember him from the regular season, he looks quicker now than he was than.

Finally, Wafer should have cleared to the corner instead of the middle behind the arc. That would have allowed Bynum to go one-on-one instead of being doubled.

All in all, I'm quite encouraged, he looks a bit quicker and more explosive, which is what you'd figured, after having spend just two months in the gym.
la3346

Postby LUUUKE on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:18 pm

i thought i was watching the Finals there for a second :man10: :man10: :man10:

bynum was playing with a bunch of scrubs who didnt know wat they were doing..they couldnt feed it to him at the right time..and when they did feed it to him..tthe grizzlies doubled him!?!?!?!

i bet A-BOMB didnt even expect to get shaq treatment
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby la3346 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:21 pm

grego wrote:He was calling out for the ball from time to time, but he didn't create position, so he could want the ball all game long, but he has to help create that along with the guy who feeds the post.

If the guards are too stupid to clear out, then it doesn't matter how much he calls for the ball, the defense can just collapse on him. Why do you think Popovich decides to go with a four guard lineup instead of a traditional one, at the cost of shotblocking? Simple, it creates maximum spacing for Duncan, and allows him to go one-on-one most of the time.
Really, you think Duncan would score a single point, if teams doubled him all the time?

Expecting the Lakers SPL team to understand the concept of clearing out is a bit much. Furthermore, their PF doesn't have that much range to begin with.

Someone said that Bynum didn't even take a single hook shot, that's not necessarily bad, because it just means that he hasn't had a chance to shoot it.
la3346

Postby grego on Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:27 pm

la3346 wrote:
grego wrote:He was calling out for the ball from time to time, but he didn't create position, so he could want the ball all game long, but he has to help create that along with the guy who feeds the post.

If the guards are too stupid to clear out, then it doesn't matter how much he calls for the ball, the defense can just collapse on him. Why do you think

Of course not. But he also was passive at times, when he was calling for it. As I said, it takes 2 to tango. The passer and the guy playing the post. It wasn't all game long, and Andrew still had a decent outing. But its something to work on.

I don't expect a summer league team to do a lot of things, but you can still point out things they did bad and hopefully they improve upon them, you know.
grego

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:27 am

wow Wafer really sucked. How could we pick him in front of Monta Ellis and Taft and Blatche and Gomes :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby la3346 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:41 am

Check out this clip:

http://rapidshare.de/files/25340891/SPL ... f.mpg.html

Well, obviously, Pinnock is the prominent guy, but pay attention to Wafer's ballhandling, it's improved. That IMO is the key to be able to exist as a guard in this league.
la3346

Postby Murdock on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:41 am

la3346 wrote:Check out this clip:

http://rapidshare.de/files/25340891/SPL ... f.mpg.html

Well, obviously, Pinnock is the prominent guy, but pay attention to Wafer's ballhandling, it's improved. That IMO is the key to be able to exist as a guard in this league.

Do you have 1st half?
Murdock

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:43 am

bhatta wrote: I'd expect a better showing. He was slow and even Coach Rambis admitted after the game that he needs to make decisions quicker.

I expect his teamates to make better decisions too. When a big like Bynum gets double-teamed, they need to move. None of them did.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby slomo24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:30 am

Man, JR was doing his thing. Me and my friends been talking about how well he's going to do. Gotta say this is encouraging. Good to see someone come from HC do well.
Sometimes I talk to myself. If I don't who will?
slomo24

Next

Return to Summer League 2013