Lakers vs. Grizzlies 7/11/2006

Lakers vs. Grizzlies 7/11/2006

Postby Frankenstein on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:15 am

I wasn't planning on going to the game today but I'm glad I changed my mind at the last minute.This was the best of the 3 games yet. Bynum and JR Pinnock redeemed themselves. Last Saturday, Bynum was dominated by some forward that wasn't even picked in the draft last year. Tonight, he was more aggressive trying to dunk the ball whenever he's anywhere near the rim. Pinnock after blowing the last second shot in the last game, did not play all that well the first three quarters but scored the big buckets in the 4th. He was the key to the Lakers win tonight aside from Mr. Consistency Jordan Farmar himself. He mezmerized Grizzlies first rounder Kyle Lowry tonight. Only disappointment this year is the lack of talent in the SPL as most have sent their A teams in Vegas. Despite that, it's good the Lakers and Jerry West Grizzlies have remained loyal while the Riley Heat and the Big headed Clippers have abandoned ship. Anyway, despite that here's my impressions so far of the Laker players playing in the summer league.

Farmar - Not great speed but very deceptive moves and great handles. What he lacks in speed he makes up with his dribbling wizardry and vertical jump. Oh, and his defense isn't bad either.. short of mentioning him in the league of a Jason Kidd. He kinda reminds me of a mix of Bibby and Parker. Bibby with his deceptive moves and Parker with his knack on penetrating, sneaking in layups and killing them with unblockable teardrop shots. Nice Passer.. he's having a knack of giving out alleyoop passes. Weakness i see is range.. doesn't seem to have natural 3-point range yet but he can hit them.. average speed. Scouting reports were right on.. he's composed and good leadership. Makes everyone else better.

Von Wafer - Disappointment. He seem lost on everything. He almost got hit in the head tonight on an inbounds pass meant for him. I think he needs to go to Europe instead of playing with scrubs on the NBDL.

Bynum - Still gets pushed around. All I see so far are dunks.. and they seem to be his only effective move. The hook shot is not reliable. For now, if he can develop a killer instinct like he started doing the last two games, he can help the lakers this year but right now, he's still raw. He also needs to work on his defensive rebounding and continue to be more physical and use that size. Still young and have good upside. I'm just worried that by the time he starts playing good, he'll be a free agent.

Pinnock - Surprise of the season. Plays with lots of emotion.. too much sometimes that he might lose it one of these games. Better than average defender and scorer. He's a mix of a Billups and Ricky Davis. Very good slasher. He excelled as a sixth man in college. He has NBA-ready body, competitiveness and defense to help right away. Much more polished than Von Wafer. Tends to force the issue. Needs to let the game come to him. Knows and wants to carry the team which leads to him forcing some shots but it's more of his competitive nature. Plays with great passion. A firecracker.. he can either win it for you like he did tonight by try to do it all by himself like he did the last game. Tonight he let the game flow through in the fourth.. last game he already made up his mind that he was taking the last shot.. taking the ball inbounds, dribbling the full length of the court and took the last shot and missed.

Green - I like this guy as a role player. I think he's a perfect 3rd guard or forward. He is a good all around player. Team defense is good and sorely needed by the Lakers. A bit of a tweener - small to guard the smallforwards and an inconsistent outside shot to play shooting guard. I hope he improves his outside shot. He would be a very good backup at shooting guard for years to come.

The rest.. well.. no comment. Only other player with slim chance to make it is Marcus Slaughter.. excellent athlete at around 6'8 with long arms but needs a consistent midrange, post up game and aggressiveness to make the team.

Notables: Rudy Gay was behind the Grizzly bench but did not suit up. Kareem was on the Lakers bench. Eric Davis who once played for the Dodgers and Cincinatti Reds was there again. No long lines at the ticket booth this year.. compared to last year. Those nachos are grrreat!
Last edited by Frankenstein on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankenstein

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:29 am

thanks for sharing :bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Triumph Jelani on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:34 am

are u aware davis is farmar's godfather?
Triumph Jelani

Postby nicehair911 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:41 am

Your Bynum,Farmar, and Von Wafer reports are 100% true. Couldn't have said it better myself! :jam2: :jam2:
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Re: Lakers vs. Grizzlies 7/11/2006

Postby dagreatkobe on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:54 am

Frankenstein wrote:Notables: Rudy Gay was behind the Grizzly bench but did not suit up. Kareem was on the Lakers bench. Eric Davis who once played for the Dodgers and Cincinatti Reds was there again. No long lines at the ticket booth this year.. compared to last year. Those nachos are grrreat!

Rush or Abdul-Jabbar?
dagreatkobe

Re: Lakers vs. Grizzlies 7/11/2006

Postby nicehair911 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:02 am

dagreatkobe wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:Notables: Rudy Gay was behind the Grizzly bench but did not suit up. Kareem was on the Lakers bench. Eric Davis who once played for the Dodgers and Cincinatti Reds was there again. No long lines at the ticket booth this year.. compared to last year. Those nachos are grrreat!

Rush or Abdul-Jabbar?

I know Abdul Jabbar was not sure about Rush.

PS the Nachos are weak, they need to take out the beans!
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:03 am

KB8@CL wrote:thanks for sharing :bow:
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby Runway on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:14 am

Damn, I didn't see Kareem. :freak2:
Runway

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:26 am

I hope Rudy Gay will play in next SPL game vs. Lakers, cuz then our guards will get really good competition.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby la3346 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:26 am

The Grizzlies and Wiz don't have a B-Team
la3346

Postby oomaderpakaroo on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:42 am

Runway wrote:Damn, I didn't see Kareem. :freak2:

everyone gave him a standing ovation when he came out of the locker room... how didn't you see that?
oomaderpakaroo

Postby GCMD on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:38 am

KrazyIvan909 wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:thanks for sharing :bow:
GCMD

Postby orido on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:10 am

tnx
orido

Postby no_dont on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:17 am

la3346 wrote:The Grizzlies and Wiz don't have a B-Team

We have starters on our NBA squad that could fill in for them nicely if they need bodies
HO-BE
no_dont

Postby Socal on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:31 am

I was there last night also, about 5 rows behind the Laker bench. I'll give my input also.

Bynum : Body is filling out...can tell he's been hitting the weight room aggressively. On the court he is more active (compared to last year SPL) in getting to his position and calling for the ball. He lacks a variety of post up moves....I think he has two: 1. Turn around standing set shot and 2. Dunk (you'd think he had more since he's working with Kareem, I was hoping for a hook shot or baby hook).......he needs to work on taking care of the ball while setting up in the post as he go stripped a few times. He did get fouled quite a few times, but for claiming "I can hit my free throws" last year, he shot like 50% from the strip this night. He ended up with 24 points. I can see him getting more minutes this year.

Farmar : I was impressed with him. The thing that stood out the most was his court awareness and passing. He did hit and NBA 3, had a breakaway dunk, and an alley-oop to Bynum. Medium speed....couldn't tell how good his defense was because the guy he was guarding did nothing. Seems he was always in "learning" mode....talking to B.Shaw and Rambis on the sidelines during the game, which is a good thing (unless your talking to them while receiving an inbound pass and it almost hits you in the head, which he did). Some negatives : he's small....i.e. - all the other NBA point guards in the league are going to an easy time "bodying" him...sometimes you can get over that if your have great speed, but he doesnt have that...he needs to put on like 15 pounds of muscle.

Pinnock : I was waiting all night to see what he could do. He was pretty passive most of the game offensively. He doesn't have much range on his jump shot and is better as a "slasher" type player. He's very atheletic and was jumping all over the place for rebounds and loose balls. Average ball handler. I think he makes the squad this year, but doesnt get off the bench for Phil very much.
Socal

Postby D Nice on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:49 am

You'd think after an entire year with Kareem Bynum would have more moves than that. Oh well, Chris Mihm succeeds with one move, his turn around stretch arm hook shot :mhihi:

Thanks guys.
D Nice

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:29 am

Good to know Bynum is taking it strong....that makes me happy....i'd like to see him dunk on more ppl this year cuz hes so big and strong....

and farmar....gotta love this kid...he could be our PG of the future...
FabFourLakers

Postby Socal on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:00 pm

Another Bynum thought : He also needs to work on recognizing and passing out of the double (and triple) teams he was getting. Every time the ball went into him he was either 1)Attempting to back his man down 2) Getting fouled 3) Turning the ball over.

Oh yeah Michael Fay did pretty good yesterday. I'd be surprised if he didn't make it onto some team in the NBA this year as a 3rd option 7 footer. Not going to make it on the Lakers squad though.
Socal

More Farmar

Postby Frankenstein on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:17 pm

Haven't looked at the stat sheet but I think Farmar has a very good assist-to-turnover ratio. It's nice to see someone take care of the basketball since Sedale Threatt.. remember him. His shooting percentage is way up there too. I hope he can keep it up.
Frankenstein

Return to Summer League 2013