Lakers Vegas Summer League Invites (full roster announced)

Lakers Vegas Summer League Invites (full roster announced)

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:34 am

UPDATE: full roster - http://www.nba.com/lakers/roster/2013_summer

Here's some of the guys we're looking at...

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 5m
Memphis fans: Sounds like Adonis Thomas looking at going to camp with Atlanta, Brooklyn or Lakers. DJ Stephens expected to go to Miami Heat.

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO 11h
Spurs, Lakers and Blazers have all placed calls to Akron 7-footer Zeke Marshall. He'll likely be on summer roster with one. Someone, anyway.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 2m
Undrafted free agent Darius Theus is considering summer league invites from the Los Angeles Lakers, Toronto Raptors and Dallas Mavericks.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Lakers Camp Invites

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2h
Told Elias Harris will join the Lakers for summer league.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 pm

I don't know who any of these people are. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Let's just hope our summer league team isn't as bad as last year's. Didn't we lose every game by like 20 points? :man10:
XXIV

Postby Aristotlexxx on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Don't forget Darius Morris was the star of last year's Lakers Summer League Team! :bang: :bang: :disagree: :disagree: :disagree:
Aristotlexxx

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Eli J. Friedman ‏@Eli_NBAOKC 7h
Just talked to Princeton F Ian Hummer who told me he was invited to tryout for the #Lakers summer league team. #NBA

Drew Viney is set to join the Los Angeles Lakers for the NBA Summer League, as reported by David Pick.
The forward has started his career as pro in Poland with Asseco Prokom and in the middle of the season moved to Orleans, in France.
Viney averaged 7.9ppg and 4rpg in Pro A.

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/56 ... eague.html
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:34 pm

As for one of the guys in the first post...

Adonis Thomas - decided on the Hawks.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Zeke Marshall (mentioned in 1st post) chose 6ers.
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 17m
Just told Michael Snaer will play with the Lakers in Vegas summer league and Oklahoma City in Orlando summer league.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:09 pm

FABIAN LYON of the Miami Herald wrote:Kenny Boynton Jr. never met a shot he felt he couldn’t make. That supreme confidence which carried Boynton to phenom status on the AAU and Florida high school level and ultimately No. 2 all-time scorer for Florida helped Boynton earn an audition in the NBA summer league.

Bypassed in the NBA Draft last Thursday, Boynton has accepted an invitation to play for the Los Angeles Lakers’ Summer League team, for games July 12-22.

Boynton was a four-year starter for Florida (2,033 points) and helped lead the Gators to three consecutive Elite Eight appearances but concerns over his size (6-2) and 39.9 shooting percentage at Florida left him out of the Top 100 NBA Draft rankings.

Former Blanche Ely coach Melvin Randall, who won the third of his five state titles with Boynton leading the way in 2006-07, believes Boynton could develop into a role similar to the Miami Heat’s Norris Cole, another undersized combo guard.

“Norris Cole wasn’t necessarily a point guard coming out of college but he has established himself as one,” Randall said. “He has been following [Mario] Chalmers’ lead and [Dwyane] Wade’s lead. Now he is in his zone. Junior [Boynton] could thrive in a similar situation. Junior is hungry to learn more and then when the times comes, I think he will be alright.”

The lone Florida player selected in the draft was forward Erik Murphy, who went to the Chicago Bulls with the No. 49 pick.

For whatever reason, Boynton never really established a niche at Florida while playing off the ball for most of his career before given added ball-handling duties as a senior.

“Kenny had a great college career but I don’t think he was given a chance to prepare for that point guard position until his senior year,” Randall said. “He is playing catch-up. He didn’t have a great shooting year but he is always confident in wanting the ball in his hands to make a play. He is never afraid of taking that last shot.”

A streaky shooter, Boynton’s calling card is his ability to put points on the board in a hurry.

As an eighth-grader he drew national attention when he scored a record 45 points at an AAU tournament and followed that by leading Pompano Beach Blanche Ely to the 2006-07 Class 6A state title before averaging 33 points for American Heritage in his senior season.

“Junior will fit best in an uptempo style of play,” Randall said. “The key will be him getting in the paint, off that pick-and-roll and making plays. That will determine the longevity of his professional career. It’s not over. I expect Junior to be a sleeper.”
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 3h
Douglas-Roberts (@Don_Montecristo) was a favorite of Kobe's last year in camp. He is expected to be on the summer league roster.

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 3h
Others here: Robert Sacre, Lazar Hayward, Renaldo Woolridge, Josh Selby. Among D'Antoni's assistants is Mad Dog Mark Madsen.

CDR! :jam2:
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:20 pm

JSM

Re: Lakers Camp Invites (full roster announced)

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:27 pm

D’Antoni said Douglas-Roberts was the player to keep the closest eye on from the roster.

interesting
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:26 pm

So far, after one quarter, this summer league team is more fun to watch than last seasons team. They're swarming and trapping on defense and aren't having issues scoring, I really didn't expect to see any defense at all. I've never heard of #4 (Lester Hudson?), but he looks like a solid player, not that we would sign him, but he plays under control at the point.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:38 pm

I know I'm talking to myself, but I spoke too soon, ugliness has set in, terrible 2nd quarter. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:57 pm

^^ Weezy, how about Mike Brown talking about Earl Clark - "I like his length . . ." :man10: Some things never change. And of course he says he's going to play him at the 3. Great thought Mike. He just loves to make the most non-intuitive choices about player positions. Blake at the 2. Ebanks at the 2. Earl at the 3. I'm very glad he isn't our coach any more even though I can't stand his replacement either.
Lakerjones

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Mike Brown is a likeable guy, but if he's my coach I can't stand listening to him.

Speaking of which, now they're interviewing 'Antoni, already started with his self deprecating humor. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:25 pm

I haven't been able to watch at all, but how is this working?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Weezy wrote:Mike Brown is a likeable guy, but if he's my coach I can't stand listening to him.

Speaking of which, now they're interviewing 'Antoni, already started with his self deprecating humor. :man10:

Yeah, I actually like Mike Brown as a person. I really don't like D' Antoni. Just a jerk. Mike Brown was never a jerk. Just had some very strange ideas about offense and about his personnel.
Lakerjones

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Meh, not really impressed by anyone. Landry and Snaer have put up the most points, Selby is big and fast, but out of control. CDR looks bad IMO, like he hasn't played ball in a while. Looks, to me anyway, out of shape and tired, not super into the game or having a real impact. He's limping now too after landing funny in the 3rd I think it was, if this is how he keeps looking he won't make the team and it won't be a bad thing, I'm disappointed.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Weezy wrote:Meh, not really impressed by anyone. Landry and Snaer have put up the most points, Selby is big and fast, but out of control. CDR looks bad IMO, like he hasn't played ball in a while. Looks, to me anyway, out of shape and tired, not super into the game or having a real impact. He's limping now too after landing funny in the 3rd I think it was, if this is how he keeps looking he won't make the team and it won't be a bad thing, I'm disappointed.

I liked what I saw from Snaer? I don't know who any of these guys are. :man10:

There was one dude who looked active. I don't remember who it was though... I liked the way Selby looked honestly.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Selby is big and quick, his defense wasn't bad, might not be worse than Morris. I don't know, maybe he gets a camp invite if he plays better from here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 pm

I honestly would prefer him over Morris because he can do what Morris does... And he has the potential to be so much more offensively. He just has a better feel for the game than Morris.

I'd like to see what Kobe can do with guys like Nick Young, Chris Douglas-Roberts (seems to respond to challenges), and Josh Selby.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 pm

I don't disagree there, he didn't look more OC than Morris, and athletically he looks way better. His speed surprised me, and his effort on D was there.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:53 pm

i only saw a little bit of it and was also disappointed to CDR looking pretty disinterested out there. oh well...
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Next

Return to Summer League 2013