Marcelus Kemp is close to a deal with the Lakers

Marcelus Kemp is close to a deal with the Lakers

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:38 pm

Carson Times: Former Wolf Pack guard Marcelus Kemp could soon be joining former teammate Nick Fazekas in Los Angeles.

Kemp's agent, John Grieg, confirmed the four-year Pack player, who was not selected in last week's NBA draft, is close to a deal with the Lakers.

Kemp is "headed that route," said Grieg, who added that the deal wasn't done yet. He said he expected things to be finalized in the next two weeks or so.

Nick Fazekas finished out his rookie year in the NBA with the L.A. Clippers and the team made him a qualifying offer on Tuesday, the first day of free agency in the NBA.

The NBA's summer league begins July 12.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:53 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:

Check out NBA Draft.net's NBA Comparison:

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/marceluskemp.html

You got to see it to believe it.
JSM

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:26 am

JSM wrote::man10: :man10: :man10:

AS LONG AS JUST SMARTER THAN WAFER, IF YOU TOOK WAFERS SKILL WITH COBY'S ATTITUDE AND THAT IS A SERVICEABLE NBA PLAYER
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby All Growed Up on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:31 am

What kind of shot do you think he has at making the roster? Is he an insurance policy if Sasha leaves? (Btw, I was floored when I saw how little Mitch offered Sasha and Ronny) One knock on Sasha is that he can't create his own shot off the dribble so maybe this guy answers those type of questions. Interesting prospect nevertheless ...
All Growed Up

Postby westcoast21 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:40 am

:man10:

Hey its ok, as long as hes not compared to Ray Allen we are fine :mhihi:
westcoast21

Postby Tactical on Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:10 am

Kemp and I graduated on the same day from the University of Nevada, Reno... I'm all for this!

They forgot to mention that he tore his ACL one year in college. But...he's still better than Coby Karl.
Tactical

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Jump pass?
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby bobyahead on Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:45 pm

I don't understand why you guys bash Karl. He has skills. When he got the chance to get off the bench they automatically ran plays with him involved in ally oops. He just needs to get confident shooting that 3. After that it will open the floor for him to drive... the guy is crazy athletic.

I hope he gets more burn next season.
bobyahead

Postby last stand on Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:07 pm

westcoast21 wrote:

:man10:

Hey its ok, as long as hes not compared to Ray Allen we are fine :mhihi:

i used to respect that website till they compared deshawn stevenson to michael freakin jordan :freak2:
last stand

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:19 am

LA Daily News Blog: The Lakers are pursuing Marcelus Kemp, a shooting guard from the University of Nevada. Kemp's agent, John Grieg, told a Reno newspaper he expected a deal to be struck soon.

Kemp averaged 20 points as a senior last season at Nevada. He also was a two-time all-Western Athletic Conference first team selection. He was not drafted, but can sign with the Lakers as a free agent once the dead period ends after July 9.

Here's one possible scenario: The Lakers will sign Kemp and then put him on their summer league team July 11. If all goes well in Las Vegas, then they would bring him to training camp in October. It's the same thing they did with Coby Karl after signing him as a free agent out of Boise State last summer.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:20 am

Reno Gazette Journal: Marcelus Kemp is close to a deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, his agent said Tuesday.

Kemp, a former Nevada shooting guard, was not selected in the NBA draft last week.

"We haven't closed on a deal," agent John Grieg said. "We are essentially headed that route with the Lakers, but I really can't discuss it at the moment."

Grieg said a deal should be finalized in the next 10 days to two weeks.

"The Lakers have liked him and have been watching him for a while," Grieg said. "They're feeling fortunate to get him where they have, in a sense. He'll leave on Sunday to head to L.A. to begin his journey.

"He fits in with their kind of style. The triangle (offense) is a multipurpose guard format. I think he can fit in well with that."

Grieg said Kemp, who is from Seattle and did not immediately return a call seeking comment, made a strong impression on NBA teams.

"I think Marcelus has done an excellent job representing himself on a professional basis," he said. "That carries a lot of weight with teams. His maturity and poise as a sixth-year senior, that carries a lot of weight with them. He should be proud of that."

Kemp, a two-time first-team All-Western Athletic Conference selection and 2008 NABC All-District honoree, ranked second in the WAC in scoring last season at 20 points per game. He is second on Nevada's all-time scoring list with 1,939 points, and he set the school record for 3-pointers made (227).
JSM

Return to Summer League 2013