Overboard?

Overboard?

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:57 pm

I realize we all like the Summer Pro League and its a good chance to see some of our young players, but I think some people are overdoing it here. Do we really need 40 topics a day, 5 new threads in Lakers Discussion everyday about SPL stuff, and like 10000 pictures, breakdowns of every player, etc? Its cool that people take the time to do this, but arent some getting a little carried away? Most of these guys wont make the roster, and only a few will even get invited to camp! I havent seen this much energy put into anything during the season here, whats with the SPL obsession? Im not trying to be rude, just confused thats all.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:00 pm

well its summer. its the only laker related stuff that we get to see, so I think its absolutely ok to have something like that. I mean nobody is forced to take part in this SPL mania. to me the draft and SPL with all the scouting and this stuff is pure fun. however some have to realize that the SPL is not the NBA nor does it prove anything.
Last edited by KB24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby i am not vladamir on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:01 pm

We need something to be excited about. A first look at some of our up and coming talent is exciting...

I'd rather see pictures and hear stories of their development than hear about Shammond Williams :man10:

Overboard, yes. But it's summer, hahahaha.
"Let my words echo in the depths of your soul: When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews -- make no mistake about it."

-Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
i am not vladamir

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:03 pm

You guys make valid points, I realize its summer and some may be bored around here. I just dont get why this energy isnt put in to this forum during the season, which instead is usually replaced with Mitch bashing. Im all for seeing younger players, I love college bball and know most of these guys from their NCAA days, but the truth is very few of them will even make camp.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby i am not vladamir on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:05 pm

Da Veinticuatro wrote:You guys make valid points, I realize its summer and some may be bored around here. I just dont get why this energy isnt put in to this forum during the season, which instead is usually replaced with Mitch bashing. Im all for seeing younger players, I love college bball and know most of these guys from their NCAA days, but the truth is very few of them will even make camp.

Very true. Maybe SPL tickets are cheaper, and the players are more acessible, so that's why they are putting energy?

Maybe during the season, many of those who are putting in this energy are in school? Who knows.

We are overreacting though. Didn't Green have a great summer league last season? And turned out to be horse manure during the season.
"Let my words echo in the depths of your soul: When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews -- make no mistake about it."

i am not vladamir

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:12 pm

I think it's because it's fun, it's what is relevant to our team and roster. And when we have Bynum & Farmar out there especially, we want to see how they look physically, and in terms of their conditioning.

From game 1, I'm really loving Farmar - as I'm one of the few who LOVED the selection!
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:21 pm

-It's the only Lakers basketball people get until the pre-season.

-Tickets are dirt cheap, I doubt the cheapest Laker ticket is as cheap as these tickets.

-Players are a lot more accessible and more willing to give interviews.

-It's the only time you will see Bynum play that many minutes (for another year or two).

-Everyone is dying to see Farmar, since there are a lot of UCLA fans here.

-Since the seats are cheaper and better, why not take a lot of good pics and share them?

-For rookies, it's the first chance fans have a chance to see them. For the players who have been a Laker for a year+, you get to see their off season improvements (Bynum's bulk), any progress they've made in the triangle (good gauge for if Phil will play them any, because no tri knowledge means very few minutes--Jimmy).

-Any you get to see Pinnock, Slaughter, etc. and can get a decent feel for if they have a snowball's chance in hell at being associated with the Lakers in any form or fashion come November.

And considering BDG's thread for game 1 got over 7500 views, a lot of people care about this.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:42 pm

Awesome points, JSM.

The odds are that at the very least one of these guys will be on the LA roster. More likely, at least two will be, even if some are in the D League. There's a slim possibility that as many as five could be around. Personally, I love all of the information. It's great to see how different this SPL is (from the board's POV) than was last year's.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:06 pm

Not to mention, where else can you catch the next head coach of the Lakers in action.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby i am not vladamir on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:15 pm

JSM wrote:Not to mention, where else can you catch the next head coach of the Lakers in action.

who is the SPL coach? Shaw?

i am not vladamir

Postby DMK on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:26 pm

KB8@CL wrote:well its summer. its the only laker related stuff that we get to see, so I think its absolutely ok to have something like that. I mean nobody is forced to take part in this SPL mania. to me the draft and SPL with all the scouting and this stuff is pure fun. however some have to realize that the SPL is not the NBA nor does it prove anything.

My thoughts exactly. Many folks love scouting reports and watching the development of certain players. And especially NBA/Laker fans.... they wait for a while with no Basketball to give them that Fix and when its time again, the excitement starts earlier for some.

No harm done. Though i believe it all would be much better if the topics were pruned down and consolidated, instead of having post after post of the same thing.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Return to Summer League 2013