21%
B
60%
C
18%

Total votes : 93

Rate Bynum's second year of summer league play

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:55 am

Now that the SPL is over, I thought this could make for a good thread.

Here are his stats:

14.7 points, 7.9 rebounds 4.4 fouls, 2.3 blocks and 2.4 turnovers in seven games. He went 39 of 64 from the field (60.1 percent), 25 of 42 from the foul line (59.5 percent) and played 31.5 minutes per game.

So, what were your overall impressions of Bynum at SPL, year II?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby hZm on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:03 am

I was able to catch every game. I'll give him a solid B. No more, no less.
hZm

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:03 am

i chose A. but id say a B since i didnt get to see him when i went to todays game.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby 21_Blessings on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:29 am

A shame that the 2 point game heavily skewed his stats.

Overall, B. Clearly still has fatigue issues. But he won't playing 30 minutes a night during the season.
21_Blessings

Postby KB24 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:25 am

I vote for a A.

15/8 is VERY solid. If you look at my post before the SPL I suggested he will have 15/8 and he didn´t disappoint. his shooting of 60% is also excellent. We have to remember this kid is 18 and 4-5 years younger than other SPL players. I´m very happy. He was inconsistent but with all those back-to-back games, phantom calls in the SPL I think he did fairly well. Its obvious that he has the talent.

What I´m extrememly happy with is that he exploites his mssmatches. If he has a guy that can´t guard him, Bynum will exploit the opportunity.

What I´m not exactly happy about is lack of effort. I don´t want to say he is not trying his best but he is not aggressive enaugh sometimes. I want him to be a lot more active when it comes to rebounds, box outs, positioning himself with his back to the basket and this stuff.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:14 am

Looking at Bynum compared to last season, he made huge strides.

Last year, he put up around 10.4 points, 7.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 2.6 TO, while shooting 46% from the floor and 54% from the line.

His points increased significantly, his boards were consistent, his ast/to ratio was at an amazing level for a big man (0.9--Shaq, for instance, has only had a 1:1 or better in half of his seasons in the NBA and he is widely reguarded as a solid passing big man). What should jump out about Bynum's numbers are his greatly improved FG%, FT% that is approaching normal for a big (I think he's right about there).

I haven't gotten to see his defense so I can't speak for it. As for fatigue, everyone has to deal with stretches where you're playing a lot of games on a little rest. That's something he's going to need to deal with, but this numbers are still quite solid for SPL. I give him a B, because, from what I've heard, his D was only okay, his effort didn't always seem to be there. The biggest positive is that he made significant strides from last season.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:00 am

based on what i've seen and read, it's a b. still not wowing anyone, very inconsistent. mostly taking advantage of size and athleticism: advantages he won't have in many matchups in the nba.

i would liked to have heard that he had a more refined low post offense and an elbow jumper developed.

but it's not all bad. apparently, he is becoming a solid shot blocker and is converting more around the basket than before. i'd like to see better rebounding numbers, but they're solid, too.
abeer3

Re: Rate Bynum's second year of summer league play

Postby revgen on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:48 am

JSM wrote:Now that the SPL is over, I thought this could make for a good thread.

Here are his stats:

14.7 points, 7.9 rebounds 4.4 fouls, 2.3 blocks and 2.4 turnovers in seven games. He went 39 of 64 from the field (60.1 percent), 25 of 42 from the foul line (59.5 percent) and played 31.5 minutes per game.

So, what were your overall impressions of Bynum at SPL, year II?

I gave him a B.

His free throws should be higher than 60%. He actually has a good stroke if he concentrates correctly.

He also was getting too many fouls called. Yeah, I know alot of them are questionable, but he needs to understand that big guys in the league always get questionable calls because the paint is one of the hardest places for refs to get a good look. He needs to find a way to adjust to the refs if he plays in the NBA.

Other than that I think he played pretty good. He now knows that he needs to exploit his size and strength on mismatches. Now he needs to learn how to play against players who match up with him like the Greek guy on Memphis did. He'll understand it eventually.
Last edited by revgen on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby i am not vladamir on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:31 pm

Keep in mind, he's still 18 years old. Many come from HS at this age. He's putting up that much against top college and euro players? I'll take that anyday :bow:
"Let my words echo in the depths of your soul: When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews -- make no mistake about it."

-Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
i am not vladamir

Postby kb the assassin on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:36 pm

i give him a B still need to work on his game during the summer
kb the assassin

Postby ggamannom on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:47 pm

B. - he has showed some inconsistance which is never a good thing, he won't get the playing time he did in the summer league and he'll be going against centers twice the ability of some that he faced. Tendency to go weak, and not show heart on court at times or at least seems like it at times.. so not enough for an A but not bad enough for C considering he is only 18.
ggamannom

Re: Rate Bynum's second year of summer league play

Postby Stearnfxr on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:05 pm

Bynum get's an "A" in my book, considering the circumstances of his former poor physical shape and meager basketball past.

Once he finishes laying the foundation of developing an nba body, the improvement in his skills from the ultramundane boxing out to the exiting broad assortment of polished go to post moves, he'll please all the detractors.

The A-Bomb gets and "A" this time around, better not sit back and relax now! Grading will not be on a curve next time around. :man10:
Stearnfxr

Postby ericdabbs on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:34 am

I give him a B. I don't htink Bynum did anything in the summer pro league to wow anyone. He still inconsistent and should have been more dominating in the summer pro league. He sitll hasn't shown the intensity that dominating centers have. To me he is still not ready for the NBA which is kinda why I think we should keep Chris Mihm this year. He needs to continue working on his post up game to have more impact. Also he needs to work on his free throws.
ericdabbs

Postby dogster on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:43 pm

11 of us (18%) have given him a "C", which is, in fact, the correct answer. D and F were not possibilities, since this is an unabashed fan site. Nobody else who gave him a "C" has had the guts to explain his choice, so I'll spell out the facts.

He very clearly deserves an old-school "C," based on the statistics and unbiased reports. "C" indicates "satisfactory" or "passing." The B's are saved for players who lit up the tournament, and the A's are saved for players who are ready to make a big dent in the NBA. Bynum has shown that he has skills to perform well at the SPL level. He has improved from last year. He played very well in some instances, but reportedly lacked effort. His free throw percentage is a negative, not a plus. Did he light up the tourney? No. Is he ready to make a dent in the NBA? No, probably not. Were we right in spending a 10th round pick on him? The book is still out. I do hope he gets considerably more playing time this year.

So I understand the enthusiasm and hope surrounding this player. But the grade inflation is nonsensical.
dogster

Postby Chivalry on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:54 pm

I managed to make it to game 2 (14/15/5), but have monitored the updates and analysis for each of the SPL games.

I would give Bynum a 'B'. You can't get an 'A' for putting up 2 points in 30+ minutes in one outing, and you don't get an 'A' for only two double doubles in 7 games. But Bynum is making good progress.

Statistically, he put up more points (15), similar rebounds (8), and more blocked shots (2+) in comparable minutes. If not for the fatigue factor, his numbers would have been even better. And 6 games in 8 days (or 4 in 5) are quite a bit. Just as importantly, his FG% is substantially higher and his FT% has improved as well.

In terms of what doesn't show up on the stat sheet, by all indications, Bynum did his damage despite frequent double and even occasional triple teams. That is impressive despite the level of competition. Bynum is taller, heavier, and stronger than last season. He's in better shape (though strength and conditioning are still suboptimal). He holds his position better, he scores despite contact, he finishes around the rim with more authority, and he has learned to play above the rim somewhat (something we didn't see last year). His man defense still needs much work but is substantially better than last season. He still needs to rotate better. He still needs to box out more on rebounds.

Overall, a solid 'B'.
Chivalry

Postby la3346 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:35 pm

Eddy Curry averaged 14 and 5 in his 2nd summer league, Chandler 8 and 7, and sadly, Kwame averaged just 10 and 8, so you know that at least, he's not going to belong to "this" group.

Quite frankly, his stats suggests that he's on the Amare and Howard path of contribution this year, but we'll see.
la3346

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:03 am

la3346 wrote:Eddy Curry averaged 14 and 5 in his 2nd summer league, Chandler 8 and 7, and sadly, Kwame averaged just 10 and 8, so you know that at least, he's not going to belong to "this" group.

Quite frankly, his stats suggests that he's on the Amare and Howard path of contribution this year, but we'll see.

The SPL is hardly as competitive as Las Vegas, so you really can't really compare. That being said, Bynum is a lot better than he was last year. His physical shape is way better compared to what he was at the McDonalds game.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby D Nice on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:42 pm

8 Rebounds against SPL players in 31.5 mpg? I voted B, but I'd say if we're going into more detail a B- overall

Defense - B (post defense was good, help was solid from what I heard)
Offense - B+ (showed nice touch, showed some post moves, cleared out space, didn't get the ball enough)
Rebounding - C- (Yes, below average for someone 7'1 with ridiculous length)
D Nice

Postby Cody on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:19 pm

I'd give him an A if he could actually make his free-throws.
Cody

Postby wavy on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:02 am

according to his stats i'll give him an A since the guy is very very young.
wavy

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:01 am

I'll give him a B+/A-.
CrazyLikeCatfish

Return to Summer League 2013