Rodney White is good addition to summer team

Rodney White is good addition to summer team

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:12 am

Rodney White, the former first round draft choice,, will play for the Lakers Summer Team in Vegas, 6-9 power forward and I like that selection. By the way, Bynum isn't playing for those who have been wanting to see Bynum and Oden play against each other. Lakers.com has the complete roster.
SignPippenNow

Re: Rodney White is good addition to summer team

Postby diehard on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:24 am

SignPippenNow wrote:Rodney White, the former first round draft choice,, will play for the Lakers Summer Team in Vegas, 6-9 power forward and I like that selection. By the way, Bynum isn't playing for those who have been wanting to see Bynum and Oden play against each other. Lakers.com has the complete roster.

This guy was a defensive stud here in Charlotte. Very strong game.
diehard

Postby tomee152 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:12 am

Bynum no?

And I also missing Sun and Gasol from the roster...
"...Win or Lose, I'm a Laker fan, just not always a happy one..."
tomee152

Postby ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:32 am

Sun is playing for the China National Team I believe, they just played Dallas...
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7

Postby lakerfanimal on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:38 am

rodney white's always had potential, but never reached it..
haha george karl's kid is on our team, i doubt he'l make the team tho
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:39 am

Rodney White is a darn good player, whether he can make the team is questionable.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Critical Beatdown on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:59 am

Lots of folks thought he would be a star, but he's one of the biggest busts in recent memory. Oft criticized for lax work ethic preventing him from reaching his potential, but he didn't do all that great with Scavolini either.
...as I enter your mind, decorate and paint my sign...LA Lakers will be 2008-09 NBA Champions!
Critical Beatdown

Postby Lakers8899 on Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:03 pm

Man, Bynum not playing basically takes all the fun out of this summer league. I'm sorry, but basketball is entertainment, so they gotta let him play here. Yes, it cut into his training time, but it's only two weeks. He can make that up in training camp.

If nothing else, at least let him play against Oden. He's not THAT short on time, is he?
Lakers8899

Postby diehard on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:15 pm

I think there are two reasons he isn't going to play.

1. If he doesn't look VERY impressive there is no way Minnesota accepts a package built around him for KG.

2. If the Lakers intend to keep him, they don't want him thinking he is a SPL type player, they want to instill confidence in him that he is above that - I don't think they would do that if he hadn't been busting his a$$ this summer showing a strong work ethic.
diehard

Postby LTD on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:30 pm

1. If he doesn't look VERY impressive there is no way Minnesota accepts a package built around him for KG.

From all accounts, there's no way that Minn takes a deal built around Bynum right now. I'd argue that it would be more beneficial for him to play in the summer league IF garnett is the target. From what I've read, Mchale isn't as high on him as others are. He needs to impress him. In fact, I think Bynum playing at least that first game would be the perfect scenario for raising his stock. He catches Oden early on in his professsional career. He should be able to do well against him.

Edit: For some reason I initially thought that it was Oden's first game.
LTD

Postby mwan.UOP on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:45 pm

i personally like the addition, dude was a savage in college, the NBA is another story...
'I had the brew she had the chronic, the Lakers beat the Supersonics.'
mwan.UOP

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:07 pm

He's definitely an NBA talent. An actual NBA player is another question...

I remember the Pistons were extremely high after drafting him with the 9th pick a couple years back. Was an offensive stud at college, with legit inside-outside sort of game. Silky smooth offensive player with good athleticism and height. Had the skill set and the tools. However...it was just the concentration problems, and perhaps some mental toughness. He never cracked anyone's rotation, and way too often disappeared to nullify all his potential at times. He never found his groove in the NBA level...I actually remember that he got his chance with Denver and played good minutes off the bench for them, and actually produced for them (9 points per game, but all his numbers across the board were very modest and didn't stand out). He's still fairly young at 26-27, but the window's slowly closing on him. He's been bouncing around the LA summer league teams (he was with the Clips last year, I think he actually made the team, but of course never impressed.

But undoubtedly, with the subpar talent on our SPL team, he's easily one of the better ones (and more well-known).

Personally I'm looking to see what Coby Karl can do. He didn't play for a good conference, but as George Karl's son, obviously he's got the basketball acumen and IQ. Seems to be an all-around player who can shoot, and even has that 6'11" wingspan, but he suffers from athleticism and footspeed. But still, he was a draft bubble candidate this year, and the only one (unfortunately) we've picked out in this year's draft. Seems like Mitch scared away many of our potential summer league talents by drafting internationals in the 2nd round--I really wanted Zabian Dowdell, Ali Traore, Kyle Visser, Yannick Bokolo, Brandon Heath, Quinton Hosley, JR Reynolds and/or Ron Lewis on our team.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby THE_DAGGER on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:25 am

I actually hope White makes the official roster if for nothing else then to add depth to our bench.

He has NBA experience. He's still relatively young at age 27. But, best of all: he's a talented player that'll come for cheap. Sign him for the Vet Min, give him spot minutes here and there, and hope he can catch lightning in a bottle on some nights.

As long as we don't expect too much from him, he could be a nice addition to the team.
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Return to Summer League 2013