Six Lakers to Watch...TONIGHT

Six Lakers to Watch...TONIGHT

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:17 pm

SIX SUMMERTIME "LAKERS" WITH A CHANCE TO BECOME LAKERS

Five spots remain open on the LA Lakers' roster. While I would prefer to see LA fill those with players possessing NBA experience, I present my top six Summer Pro League players from the LA Lakers. I'm not going outside the LA team because I presume that other teams have a better chance of signing their "own" players, so here is a breakdown of the top six, in reverse order, in terms of current ability, fit for the team, and potential.

#6: Cedric Bozeman
6'6, 220 pound Guard
NCAA: 7.6 points, 2.3 assists, 3.3 boards, 50% FGs, 78% FTs, 39% 3pts, 1.7 TO as a Senior at UCLA.
NBA: 1.1 points, 0.4 assists, 1.0 boards in 8.7 MPG (06/07)
SPL: 6.8 points, 1.5 assists, 3.8 boards in 23.8 MPG
Triple double and D-League record 20 assists in a game.
-An athletic Guard, Bozeman is an aggressive player who hustles, but probably needs to work on his game a bit more, and may never be a good fit for a team that isn't fast-breaking regularly.
--Not a good fit for the Lakers, but could learn to play in the triangle and be effective. Probably wouldn't get off the bench even if he made the team. An NBDL candidate.

#5: Bryant Dunston
6'9, 250 pound Forward
NCAA: 15.5 points, 2.0 assists, 9.8 boards, 2.7 blocks, 53% shooting in 33.1 MPG at Fordham.
SPL: 8.0 points, 0.5 assists, 3.8 boards in 22.3 MPG (plus 1.5 blocks)
-Scrapping Forward. Can score well, attacks, is very athletic, and plays hard on both ends of the court. Could put up Turiaf-esque numbers and provide similar skills.
--He's an interesting prospect because of his size and shot-blocking abilities. Not going to make it on an NBA team this year in all likelihood, but would be a good D-Fender.

#4 Taj Gray
6'9, 230 pound Forward
NCAA: 14.2 points, 0.9 assists, 7.7 boards, 1.6 blocks, 57% FG in 30.4 MPG at Oklahoma.
SPL: 4.8 points, 0.0 assists, 3.4 boards, 1.0 blocks in 14.6 MPG
-A good scorer who can get to the line and has a respectable (but not more) repertoire of moves. Athletic and a good shotblocker, Gray has the ability to body up on Power Forwards, but will have to improve his footwork and transfer some of his aggressiveness offensively to the defensive side. The Lakers' needs at PF could make Gray a more interesting commodity.
--Gray isn't huge, but he's aggressive and athletic. He could play minutes at the Power Forward spot, would grab some boards, and block some shots, but he will probably never score a whole lot and will probably look foolish until he becomes more seasoned in actual NBA experience. I'd get him on the D-Fenders and monitor his game.

#3 Coby Karl
6'5, 210 pound Guard
NCAA: 14.8 points, 4.0 assists, 4.1 boards, 37% 3pt in 32.5 MPG as a Senior at Boise State
NBADL: 17.5 pts, 4.2 ast, 5.5 reb, 41% 3pt in 37.6 MPG
NBA: 1.8 points, 0.5 assists, 0.8 boards in 4.2 MPG
SPL: 14.0 points, 1.8 assists, 2.6 boards, 44% 3pt in 28.8 MPG
-Coby Karl can score and would certainly be a good shooter at the NBA level, but he makes stupid mistakes and isn't afraid to jack up every open shot he sees. He cannot play defense either. I'd like to see him work on attacking because he seems to have surprising body control and the ability to hit a ton of FTs when he gets to the line. He can contribute more immediately than just about anyone (#2 aside, perhaps), but I really question his top end.
--Karl could play 1000 minutes this season if the Lakers wanted him to do so. He could also hit a bunch of threes and shoot a good percentage, but the Lakers woul be obliterated by opposing guards while Karl is in there. He simply must work much harder and take more pride in his D.

#2: Dwayne Mitchell
6'5, 210 Guard
NCAA: 16.0 points, 4.1 assists, 7.9 boards, on 52% shooting in 35.4 MPG at La Lafayette as a Senior
NBADL: 20.4 points, 3.2 assists, 6.4 boards on 47% shooting in 37.3 MPG at Iowa; 4 double doubles and 3 30-point games last season
SPL: 6.2 points, 0.6 assists, 1.2 boards, 63% FGs in 13.8 MPG
-Mitchell has improved his playmaking abilities considerably, and would be a great fit as a Guard in the triangle. His physique and athleticism are awesome, he can create a shot, and plays tough on defense, coming up with steals and overpowering many Guards because of his strength and bulk.
--A scorer and a hard-nosed athletic defender who can rebound incredibly well for a Guard. He's the athletic bruiser LA could use in the back court. Has become a better shooter, and is solid from distance, but is really a slasher and he's quite good at it.

#1: Joe Crawford
6'5, 207 Guard
NCAA: 17.9 points, 2.1 assists, 3.6 boards, 36% on threes in 33.6 MPG as a Senior at Kentucky
SPL: 10.2 points, 1.4 assists, 2.8 boards, 57% treys in 20.6 MPG
--Although he is raw and will need some time to catch up to the speed of the NBA, and will never be a PG in all likelihood, Crawford is athletic, aggressive, can create a shot and get to the rim.
--He may not play a lot of minutes this season, but I'm sure he would win backup SG honors by season's end if Sasha leaves. He has the ability to get to the rim that seems better than anyone else's except for Kobe and Farmar.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:19 pm

:mhihi: Love the pictures.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby blakeruns on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:02 pm

lmao at Coby Cunningham
keepin it fresh eight days a week
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby popo on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I'll be tuning in, Crawford is hitting a high percentages of his 3's.
popo

Postby deal on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:41 pm

So u guys think Mitchell can make the lakers because of his D? And Crawford the as a filler?

:man3:
deal

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:42 pm

deal wrote:So u guys think Mitchell can make the lakers because of his D? And Crawford the as a filler?

I think Mitchell can make it because of his all around game. He might be the best player on the (SPL) team. He's certainly the best athlete...and it's not even close. He's very aggressive and looks good tonight.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby deal on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:46 pm

trodgers wrote:
deal wrote:So u guys think Mitchell can make the lakers because of his D? And Crawford the as a filler?

I think Mitchell can make it because of his all around game. He might be the best player on the (SPL) team. He's certainly the best athlete...and it's not even close. He's very aggressive and looks good tonight.

interesting consiering all the tough gards we face during the NBA season.... also, think there is any way they cut Crawfiord after taking him with a pick?

by the way, great stuff!!
deal

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks, man. I'm sure there's a chance we cut Crawford, but I would be surprised if it happens. Tex has been there watching, Mitch has said good things about him, and we have five roster spots at this point. I think he's close to a lock.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:17 pm

Gray, Mitchell, and Crawford all looked good. Karl looked liked trash. He's disappointing.

Crawford kinda took over late. Gray was the big scorer early. Mitchell was the main man around the middle of the game. Fun to watch.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Jajwa on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Crawford is pretty much wrapping up the 3rd string SG job at the least. Karl has not looked nearly as impressive.
Jajwa

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Mitchell. Look at the physique on this dude:

blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby marcelo on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Crawford could help. If Karl got minutes in the NBA, so can Crawford.
I think Mitchell should get a shot. He reminds me of Evans. Physical beast.
marcelo

Postby Goozer on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:37 pm

if we keep karl but cut crawford and mitchell ill be so pissed. im sick and tired of the same crap over and over again, chosing the unathletic guy that sucks (see puke and radmonocrap)
Goozer

Postby Chicano on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:24 pm

two0one7 wrote::mhihi: Love the pictures.
Chicano

Postby yong on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:11 am

i have watched 3 of the SPL games,

i feel that mitchell and crawford are better choices than coby karl. we shall also give dunston an opportunity. he reminds me of turiaf ... :man6:
yong

Postby Jajwa on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:47 am

I think that the both of these guys (Crawford and Mitchell) will get signed to play the 3rd string SG and combo guard/PG roles respectively. It may take a while but I can see both becoming valuable bench players over the long term. The great thing is that the both of them are not Coby Karls on defense.
Jajwa

Postby yong on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:23 pm

in order of preference, these are who i want to see get invited to the training camp.

1. dwayne mitchell - the next mo evans, sign him, we need a defensive combo guard like him BADLY.

2. joe crawford - hard not to give this boy a chance when he is our only draft pick this year. has shown some promises, clearly has good work ethic. he has makes good decision but doesn't have the skills to back it up.

3. dunston - next turiaf. i like this kid ALOT ALOT ALOT. he is all heart and hustle. gotta love him. he has a decent game and has good athleticism.

4. davon jefferson - i know this wouldn't be popular haha. but hey, this is the same kid who should have been a lottery pick if not for his work ethic. give him a chance. he has some skills and ELITE athleticism. low risk hard reward. GET HIM PLEASE!!!

5. taj gray - decent post player

6. coby karl - yucks. CHUCKER. yucks.
yong

Postby lakurluv on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:57 am

Bozeman - Not as good but could be Ron Harper(ISH) in the Tri, worth a look
Carl - He's a given for now...
Crawford - Ok, since we drafted him, but at least he can score, get to the line to, that's a good thing.
Dunston - Kinda reminds me of a smaller version of the kid for Orlando, what's his name Dwight H.....But probably more closer to a Joey Dorsey, who I wish we could have drafted anyways, this kids got potential, and could be developed.
Gray - He gets the nod, because he's a tenacious player doesn't give up easily, even though he's undersized at the 4 but probably a long-shot.
Mitchell - Are you kidding Me! The second coming of Caron Butler has to get an invite, this kids Athletic, Strong, Confident, can defend, true-blue collar in the making if you ask me, we need to act fast or someone else will...

In my opinion the following should fight it out in camp, and if the player that has a contract doesn't win out-right, we should trade his you know what!!!

Chris Mihm
Coby Karl
Luke Walton

With approximately 4-5 roster spots available some of these guys should get a chance. We need guards no doubt, and at least one good versatile 4/5 that can play "D"!
lakurluv

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Bozeman...won't make the team. He is simply not good enaugh. He can play solid defense and has an intriguing size for a PG but he lacks the quickness and most importantly skills to be a point guard...His offense in general is rather weak and his D isn't good enaugh to make up for it.

Taj Gray...I like...same as Dunston...I like both and I think both need to be given a camp invite..

Mitchell is a freak athlete...damn he can get to the rim with ferocity...but thats it basicly...He is also 25 already...IMO he will not make the NBA if he can't expand his skillset. His J and his Fts need A LOT OF work.

Davon Jefferson...seems to be a freak athlete with a horrible work ethic. I don't think he is lottery talent, even with the best work ethic...he doesn't have many skills to begin with. He lives and dies by his athleticism and won't blow anyone away with smooth skills. He came to the pre draft camp in ATROCIOUS shape...his body far number was 12% and he was awefull...he could bench press 185 lbs only twice...he was simply in the worst possible shape and he showed NO fire or desire to WANT to be in the NBA. IMO he won't make the team because he is a headcase.

I want Crawford, Dunston and Gray to get an invitation...Mitchell has been impressive, especially with his physical play but I'm not sure Phil will be high on him because of his deficits. We could certainly use an atheltic guard at the end of the bench. Jefferson...I'm not convinced he has it...might end up being like Chris Taft...athlete? yes player? no. Bozeman has a snowballs chance in hell to make the roster at this point.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby diehard on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:12 am

I like Mitchell the best. I don't care if he's 25, this is a mans league and his on the ball defense combined with Bynum patrolling the paint would be awesome. I would like to see him hit his free throws though. No sense in getting there if you can't finish.
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall."

Ron Artest: Is it freaky if your girl has a barbed wired thong and comes in the room with plastic sporks? Twitter
diehard

Return to Summer League 2013