LA Times: Farmar Makes Good Impression

LA Times: Farmar Makes Good Impression

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:12 am

LA Times: His final semester at UCLA ended a few weeks ago, but it looked as if Jordan Farmar had been doing a little studying on the side.

The Lakers draft pick showed the same poise he had in two seasons with UCLA and, an added bonus for Lakers followers, demonstrated some decent knowledge of the triangle offense Saturday in the Summer Pro League at the Pyramid of Long Beach.

Farmar, drafted 26th overall, had 17 points and three assists in 31 minutes of an 89-87 Lakers loss to the Memphis Grizzlies' summer league entry.

The competition will be significantly more challenging in a few months, but all in all, not a bad debut for Farmar.

"He as well as anybody has picked up the offense the quickest," said Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis, who is in charge of the summer league team. "He seemed like he came in and had been studying it or something. He knows what we're doing. He understands what we want him to do."

Farmar showed the ability to penetrate and took numerous trips to the free-throw line, making seven of nine from there. He also demonstrated the same on-court vocal command he had at UCLA.

Farmar said he was acting mostly on instinct. No studying for the triangle.

"To me, it's pretty much basic principles," he said. "I just get it."

A key for Farmar over the next few months is to get stronger. He is listed at 6 feet 2 and 180 pounds, slightly generous in each category.

There will be eight more summer league games, and then there will be a lot of lifting. Training camp begins in early October.

"Once this is over, get to work," Farmar said. "When you get in there with the big men, you've got to box out and rebound."

Danilo Pinnock, whom the Lakers acquired from Dallas on draft day for a future second-round pick, had 16 points. Andrew Bynum had 12 points.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby flexxdzl on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:14 am

Farmar finished with a team-high 17 points on 5-of-9 shooting in 30 minutes. He earned praise from coach Kurt Rambis for playing within the triangle offense.

"He seemed like he came in and had been studying it or something because he knows what he's doing," Rambis said.

Farmar said: "To me, it's pretty much basic principles. One thing triggers a series of events, and I just get it."

Andrew Bynum had 12 points and five rebounds but played only 20 minutes because of foul trouble.

that's from the telegram..
It meant Farmar was a loser in his first game as a Laker.
"I'm always going to feel like I could have played better," Farmar said. "A couple of shots went in and out that I felt I'm supposed to make. I feel like I can always play better defensively. I'm always going to feel like I can play better."
Farmar, with his early grasp of the offense, left an impression nonetheless.
"I appreciate the fact that he's out there trying to run the offense," Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis, who is the coach of the summer-league team, said. "He, as well as anybody, has picked up the offense the quickest. He seems like he's been studying it or something. He knows what he wants to do."
Farmar knows he has to get stronger. He'll hit the weight room as soon as the summer league is over.
"That's my job," Farmar said. "I'm a point guard. That's my job, to make sure everything is running smoothly first. That's the way we are going to win if everybody is on the same page."

That's from PE.

How is it possible that farmar gets it already? This guy is a stud..he needs to play a little quicker but he will be a starter for us by next year if not by the all star game
flexxdzl

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:33 am

I want him to start if we dont aquire any pgs
Azndude2190

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:38 am

Azndude2190 wrote:I want him to start if we dont aquire any pgs

:yikes:

against NBA PGs, God help us all.
JSM

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:48 am

JSM wrote:

well I hope we don´t intend to start Shammu because I would hen take Farmer any day of the week.

even Smush starting is still pretty embarassing for the LA LAKERS and playoff ambitions

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:59 am

I'm guessing Lakers will start out with...

Smush/Shammu/Farmar

re-evaluate Farmar at mid-season, see where he is and either keep him at 3rd string or move him to 2nd string until playoffs.
JSM

Postby flexxdzl on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:04 am

JSM wrote:I'm guessing Lakers will start out with...

Smush/Shammu/Farmar

re-evaluate Farmar at mid-season, see where he is and either keep him at 3rd string or move him to 2nd string until playoffs.

I don't think shammrock will make it out of camp..just like blount didn't..this reminds me of that exact situation..
flexxdzl

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:06 am

^ I highly doubt that. I don't think Mitch would give someone the BAE and him not be on the roster. That would bring a whole new meaning to a wasted contract. Lakers are in dire need of depth at the point and Sham is who they're getting. Plain and simple.

I highly doubt Lakers enter the season with only Smush and Farmar at the point.
JSM

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:40 am

Great read, man. Thanks.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby 21_Blessings on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:22 pm

JSM wrote:

Better than the Alternative, which is Smush.

But 3rd string sounds about right. 19 year old rookie starting in the triangle is unheard of. But I wouldn't put it passed a guy like Farmar.
21_Blessings

Postby Triumph Jelani on Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:23 pm

he will be inserted when smush makes a bonehead play.
Triumph Jelani

Postby strikemode14 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:29 pm

JSM wrote:I'm guessing Lakers will start out with...

Smush/Shammu/Farmar

That's probaly how the rotation will be unless Shammond just comes in and knocks Phil's socks off. Farmar probaly will get 5-10 min a game sometimes he may not play though.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby girlsfavtoy on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:15 pm

Good thing. With phil, it doesn't matter how good you are, if you don't get the triangle, you don't play.
Kobe -- Only professional Athelete ever to lose to a retard.
girlsfavtoy

Postby Kasumi on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:22 pm

Farmar keeps saying how easy it is, he hasn't studied the triangle at all but he understands basketball so this is all very easy for him. He's going to get a shock come training camp if he keeps that attitude.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby la3346 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:59 pm

We need to get Farmar on the same nutrition and training program as Bynum. He's young enough to where he can still grow. I liked his hops in one of the pics, maybe he's not so bad after all.
la3346

Return to Summer League 2013