Tony Gaffney will play for Lakers Summer League team

Tony Gaffney will play for Lakers Summer League team

Postby mm708 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 pm

6'8'' player from UMASS. He has agreed to play for the Lakers summer league this year.
mm708

Re: Tony Gaffney

Postby laakers on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:17 pm

anyone know anything about him?
laakers

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 pm

RON CHIMELIS of the Massachusetts Republican wrote:

Tony Gaffney never imagined he would say the words he said Friday.

"I'm a Los Angeles Laker now. Hopefully, I can turn some heads,'' said Gaffney, the former University of Massachusetts men's basketball forward, who was been added to the Lakers' summer league team roster Friday.

Gaffney grew up in Berkley. He has been a lifelong Boston Celtics fan.

"I didn't tell the Lakers that,'' Gaffney said with a laugh.

Gaffney was not taken in the NBA Draft Thursday. His agent, Sam Porter, said Friday that several teams had shown interest in the 6-foot-8 player as a free agent.

Gaffney has not been offered a contract by the Lakers, but he is assured a place on their roster in the NBA's summer league, which will be held in Las Vegas from July 10-19.

That alone shows the Lakers are taking him seriously, Gaffney said.

"Teams used to bring in 17 to 20 guys. Because of the economy, they can't afford to do that anymore,'' he said.

If Gaffney does not make the Lakers, the exposure with such a high profile franchise should help his free agent chances with other NBA teams, he said.

It has already helped him in Europe, where he will play if he does not make an NBA team.

Several European teams have offered him contracts. Those teams pay special attention to the Lakers, increasing his value, he said.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Mike Thomas of the Herald News wrote:Tony Gaffney’s name wasn’t called Thursday night – and when all was said and done, it wasn't a bad thing.
The former Somerset basketball star was hoping to be one of the 60 players selected in the NBA draft, but when the Miami Heat selected Memphis’ Robert Dozier just after midnight, Gaffney was forced to turn to Plan B.

Plan B turned into receiving a phone call from his agent early Friday evening, letting him know the world champion Los Angeles Lakers have invited the 6-foot-8 athletic forward to play on the Lakers' Summer League team.

"I just got picked up by the Lakers," said a jubilant Gaffney, who certainly had his share of screaming family members in the background. "My agent called me about 45 minutes ago. I'm flying out there July 5th."

Friday night was a far cry from Thursday, when Gaffney found himself wearing out the carpet, pacing back and forth in hopes of hearing his name called.

"(Thursday) night was the longest night of my life," he said. "I just kept pacing. I watched the draft through pick 23 and couldn't do it anymore. I was optimistic (about being drafted), but I was also realistic. I didn't fall asleep until about 5 a.m."

Gaffney is coming off a stellar season at UMass, where he played in all 30 games this year for the Minutemen, leading the team in field goal percentage (.542), minutes played (1,018), rebounds (307), blocks (115) and steals (61).

Gaffney averaged a double-double this season, finishing with 11.5 points and 10.2 rebounds per game.

“Tony’s an intriguing prospect,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “He has a lot of intangibles that a lot of guys who are stars don’t have. If he has 15 to 20 more pounds, he definitely has a good chance of making the NBA.”

Asked what Gaffney’s strengths are, Kellogg couldn’t name just one.

“He has a lot of them,” he said. “His defense, his rebounding and his athletic ability are all strengths. He’s got a pretty good package and brings it every night.”

Gaffney is the fifth player in the NCAA since 1996-97 with 100 blocks and 50 steals in a season, and is also the first UMass player to average 10 rebounds per game since Mark Haymore (10.0) in the 1978-79 season.

“He’s a talent,” Kellogg said. “He’s one of the better rebounders, shot blockers out there. He’s very coachable. It was a pleasure to coach him this year.”

Aside from pure basketball talent, Gaffney will bring athleticism and a high dose of energy to the Lakers, who defeated the Orlando Magic in five games this year to capture the NBA title.

“My goal is to play in the NBA,” Gaffney said. “It’s every kid’s dream to hear their name called in the NBA draft and that didn’t happen for me, but I’ll be playing for the Lakers in the Summer League and I’ll get getting a lot of exposure.

“People have doubted me for a while and a lot of them think I won’t make the Lakers or I won’t play in the NBA. I’m hoping to prove them wrong.”

Gaffney still has a lot of options if the NBA doesn’t come calling this year.

“We’ve had plenty of negotiations overseas,” he said. “That helped make last night a lot easier.Worst-case scenario is I go overseas to play basketball and get paid for it, but my ultimate goal is to make an NBA roster. It’s been a childhood dream of mine.”

Even though Gaffney will be headed to the West Coast to don the Purple and Gold, he certainly won’t be forgetting where he came from.

“Everything I do is for Southeastern Massachusetts,” Gaffney said. “It’s my roots.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Tony Gaffney will play for Lakers Summer League team

Postby TwntyFour on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Cut this guy, he's a celtic fan.
TwntyFour

Postby eNlight on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:11 am

he's a scrub
eNlight

Postby SignPippenNow on Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:10 am

eNlight wrote:he's a scrub

Good God, he is on the summer League team. Why does everyone who isn't Pau or Kobe have to be a scrub? The kid just got out of colllege and is trying to hook on somewhere. He realizes there is basically no chance it is with the LakeShow, but he is just working and trying to get something for himself. I seriously doubt you or me could do what he did at UMass.
SignPippenNow

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:01 am

I picture him being a Matt Harpring type of player.
D.B. Cooper

Postby eNlight on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:40 pm

SignPippenNow wrote:

Good God, he is on the summer League team. Why does everyone who isn't Pau or Kobe have to be a scrub? The kid just got out of colllege and is trying to hook on somewhere. He realizes there is basically no chance it is with the LakeShow, but he is just working and trying to get something for himself. I seriously doubt you or me could do what he did at UMass.

good god why do you assume that everyone is the same. this guy truly is a scrub. i truly doubt your or him could do what i do for a living. get real, i'm entitled to my opinions and so are you. doesn't mean you have to go around saying he can beat me at basketball. mind you, i also played d-2 basketball, so does this equally mean that im going to assume gaffney > me > you? no.
eNlight

Postby SignPippenNow on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 pm

eNlight wrote:
SignPippenNow wrote:

good god why do you assume that everyone is the same. this guy truly is a scrub. i truly doubt your or him could do what i do for a living. get real, i'm entitled to my opinions and so are you. doesn't mean you have to go around saying he can beat me at basketball. mind you, i also played d-2 basketball, so does this equally mean that im going to assume gaffney > me > you? no.

I don't assume everyone is the same and you would know that if you could read. My question is why does someone come on here and call everyone a scrub? Does it make you feel like a big stud or something. You played D-2 basketball? Big deal, did you play for the Lakers summer team? Do your job? I don't want it. I make six-figure income at what I do and it's something I love. I just get tired of reading this guy or that guy is a scrub. Read that about Shannon Brown, Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza and others and now look at people fretting if those "scrubs" are going to stay with the Lakers.
SignPippenNow

Postby eNlight on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:19 pm

SignPippenNow wrote:
eNlight wrote:

I don't assume everyone is the same and you would know that if you could read. My question is why does someone come on here and call everyone a scrub? Does it make you feel like a big stud or something. You played D-2 basketball? Big deal, did you play for the Lakers summer team? Do your job? I don't want it. I make six-figure income at what I do and it's something I love. I just get tired of reading this guy or that guy is a scrub. Read that about Shannon Brown, Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza and others and now look at people fretting if those "scrubs" are going to stay with the Lakers.

i could read but i can analyze at a severely different level than that of you could.

"why does everyone" is a huge assumption. i'm glad you make 6 figure salary income, is it that important. is your purpose to demean my salary level? because if so, it seems like you've made another assumption. guess what? i make 6 figure salary plus commissions and bonuses as well. i work for one of the biggest accounting firms in the world.

i think you can't make inferences at all either. i can call anyone a scrub i want to. i can call you a scrub, its my opinion. but don't assume that i'm out there to be a big stud like you intentionally try to say.

guess what? i love to call other people scrubs. grow up, you don't like what i say. big deal, why don't you go live in another country where opinions don't matter.
eNlight

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:07 am

Then call someone a scrub. Maybe one day we will meet face to face and I will give you a chance to call me a scrub. Why don't you go to Vegas and call Gaffney a scrub to his face. I just don't see the need to be calling players scrubs. If that is wrong then I can live with it. They have rules on this board and I love this board so I will leave it at that. Also, I wasn't trying to "demean" your salary. I have no idea nor do I care what you do. You are the one who said I couldn't do your job. I have no interest in doing your job. I am not trying to demean anything and yes you have a right to your opinion, but so do I and I am tired of seeing everyone called a scrub. Even put up with seeing a bunch of idiots refer to Gasol as Gasoft the past two years and now it is fun to watch them eat crow.
SignPippenNow

Postby TKainZero on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:28 am

Hope he does well...
100 people see fire.
99 start screaming and getting hysterical over all the smoke.
I start looking for the cause.

Concern yourselves with the Problems, not the Symptoms.
TKainZero

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 am

celtic fan? give him the shaft already.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Return to Summer League 2013