Tue. 7/15 - Lakers vs 76ers - Predictions/Comments

Postby SignPippenNow on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:48 pm

I really like Crawford.
SignPippenNow

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Crawford with another impressive move.

He can really create for himself with ease.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:49 pm

trodgers wrote:Camby traded to the Clippers for a draft pick. Wow...

Just saw that. Crazy.

I just wonder if they know he and Kaman are both centers.

:man10:
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:53 pm

Why do you watch him for 5 seconds and then foul?
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:53 pm

Crawford manages to get in another basket. Good work.
JSM

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Player (position they will play in the NBA)
skills relevant to their position.
Abysmal/Very Poor/Poor/So-So/Average/Decent/Average/Solid/Good/Very Good/Exceptional

Crawford (SG)
so-so ball handler - cannot initiate at this point
so-so decision-maker
so-so passer
decent shot
solid athleticism
decent to solid ability to get to the rim
solid ability to finish
so-so movement without the ball
good body
good potential

Karl (SG)
so-so ball handler
so-so decision-maker
so-so passer
good to very good shot
poor shot selection
so-so to average athleticism
so-so ability to get to the rim
decent ability to finish
so-so movement without the ball
decent body
so-so potential
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby jimbo327 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:58 pm

I'm liking this Crawford kid. I think he's better than Coby Karl.
jimbo327

Postby SignPippenNow on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:20 pm

Good job on the chart trodgers. Yeah Crawford is better than Coby. Crawford, Dunston and Karl should have camp invites for sure. Ford would be next. I like Kemp and would like to see him get a little more PTmaybe in Coby's place just to see what he could do.
SignPippenNow

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Here's the rundown on my thoughts after tonight (in order of their points scored):

Karl - 18 points and I'm not impressed. He had a couple attacks to the basket that saved this from being a awful performance. He jacked up way too many shots, 13 to be exact, 7 of those were 3s. Good shot. Bad shot. Coby didn't care. He was sloppier with the ball tonight, it could have been that the 76ers have some more physical players who knocked him on the ground a few times. He hasn't improved any part of his game. After Mayo tore him up, I think he gave up on D.

Crawford - 16 points and I was impressed. Both he and Karl shot 13 shots. The difference is how they scored. Crawford was aggressive and attacked the rim for at least 3/4 of his shots. He only took one 3, which he made. He's looked as cool as a cucumber out there. Still haven't seen a whole lot defensively. He has quick hands and will go after a ball if it's rolling across the floor, so he can get steals. But I haven't seen him lock any one down for any plays. Highlights: a near thunderous dunk, but he got shoved when going up. He had his body tilted like the VC or Francis (old Rockets days) photos that are plastered all over google. And when he crossed up Jason Smith and scored on him.

Dunston - 10 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks. At the half he was already my player of the game. I wish he would have continued his demolition path in the 2nd half, but it just didn't happen, he didn't get as much time in the 2nd half either. He is hands down the best big man on our roster. His offensive mores are the most refined, he doesn't panic when he gets stuck with the ball, he has confidence in his offensive abilities, he hustles his rear off for rebounds, and he has pretty good timing on his blocks. He fouled Jason Smith a little more tonight than he had his previous matchups, but there was only one play were Jason (mind you he was a 20th pick in 07) got the better of Dunston. The play that impressed me the most was when he came out to help a guard who picked up his dribble, so he gets the ball out at the 3 point line, surveys the floor, and runs right at Jason Smith who isn't ready defensively. Dunston ends up with an impressive one handed flush. The other play that I really liked was on a loose ball, he refused to give up the possession. He jumped in the air and tipped it up at least 4 times. He kept the possession but the guard he passed it to ended up losing the ball. EDIT: One other thing I liked about his game tonight was that he got pretty decent post position whenever he wanted it. Certainly much easier at claiming his spot on the floor than Gray or Ford. I hope he gets a camp invite because he's certainly earned it so far.

James White - how he managed to even get 6 points blows my mind. He's awful. He's turrable. He has zero skills. His J is shaky on a good day. His handles are worse than some PFs. His basketball IQ is lower than the temperature in a Chicago during a winter day. His FT shooting isn't anything worth talking about. His finishing abilities are questionable. He's athletic. That's it. He's an amazing athlete but he can't seem to do anything with that athleticism. I would compare his ability to that of a marksman without any arms. It's a useless skill.

Gray - he was our second best big for the night, coming off the bench. He hustles when he's on the floor. His offense isn't terrible and his D shows potential. He's just not all that confident in his abilities and he gets shaken easily. He had the ball in the post during one play, the guard was cut off, leaving him stranded on an island, he'd already picked up his dribble, and wasn't comfortable shooting from that distance. You could see he began to fret a little bit. One of the biggest problems I see with him is he fouls too much.

Bozeman - Ced's J just wasn't his friend today, 2-8 from the field. He wasn't forcing it, had I not looked at the box score I wouldn't have known he only made 2 of his 8 attempts. I think consistency could be a problem with his J from what I've seen so far in the summer league. He had a couple solid defensive plays and had a nice drive from the arc to post, but overall he had a forgettable game.

Ford - Ford has the most range of any of our bigs. He's the only one I've seen hit the mid range J in each of the games. He's not nearly as good of a rebounder as Dunston or Gray. He doesn't use his 235 pounds to his advantage in most situations in the post, regardless of what end of the floor he's on. I think Dunston and Gray show more promise on D, although Ford did have one nice deflection (didn't get counted as a block because a teammate fouled). Typically he's the 2nd best big in the game, which is why he starts, but tonight that wasn't the case.

Mitchell - He didn't do too much to help his cause tonight. 4 turnovers in 13 minutes, that's not a pretty stat. I like his game but he's just not polished enough with regards to finishing, FT shooting, or ball handling. I do like what he's capable of doing on D although he didn't show much tonight. He didn't really have time to show much either. I'd like to see him on the D-Fenders if he doesn't get a Euro offer.

Caner-Medley - This guy is something else. He's all over the court, but not in a good way. Here's how I would best describe watching one of his plays. You're standing at an intersection, you see a car barreling towards the red light. He's messing with his iPod and doesn't look up to see that it's a red light. You know he's not paying attention. You know he's going to have a wreck. But there's nothing you can do but sit and watch him ram into the car ahead of him. Well, that's NCM's game in a nut shell. He's out of control and all he really has going for him thus far is his hustle. The funniest thing I saw him try tonight was a tip in jam from a missed 3 but the ball was a high bouncing ball bouncing back towards the top of the key, he wasn't close.

Kemp - I had higher expectations of this kid going into VSL. He's behind Crawford and Mitchell and can't get time ahead either one. He and Mitchell have the same height and weight, but I think Mitchell has a better NBA build. I'd give Kemp the advantage in his jumper and FT shooting. Mitchell is better at getting to the rim, but both like to attack. Problem is all 3 of these guys -- Crawford, Mitchell, and Kemp like to attack the basket. Crawford does everything these two do, but better. I doubt either of the other two get a camp invite.

Calathes - Still don't get it. So much hype after the draft and he's done bupkis.

I'd like to see Caner-Medley, Calathes, White, Mata-Real, and Roberts all getting DNPs for the next one.

Let's see what Li, Thomas, and Jefferson can bring to the table.
JSM

Postby halekulani on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:50 pm

crawford = poor man's stuckey?
halekulani

Postby jxuusa on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:56 pm

They must have lost cause I stopped watching. Before this game I thought Karl was better than I've seen, but now he's exactly as bad as I initially thought, or maybe even worse. Just horrible shot selection, and he only leads the team in scoring because he jacks up 6 or 7 more shots than his "teammates". His ball-handling is average at best and his defense is almost as good as Steve Nash's.
jxuusa

Postby yong on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 am

agreed.

having watched the last few games.

i have come to my conclusion that

bozeman> dunston> crawford > karl > white

coby karl and james white are horrible. coby = chucky atkins 2. yucks..
yong

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:59 am

Sorry but Bozeman isn't better than Dunston.

Dunston and Crawford are 1 and 2, in whichever order you prefer.
JSM

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:42 am

James White and Coby Karl aren't half the players Chucky Atkins was...and I hated Atkins.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby alleon86 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:23 am

i like crowford game, he will suit our 2nd unit run and gun style really well with his ability drive and finish
alleon86

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:11 am

alleon86 wrote:i like crowford game, he will suit our 2nd unit run and gun style really well with his ability drive and finish

That's one reason why I think he has a good chance of making the team. We don't really have anyone like him on the roster.

Farmar can attack but he doesn't have the body to absorb contact. Ariza can attack but they have him working on his J so they want him shooting more. He also has a bulkier build than Ariza.
JSM

Previous

Return to Summer League 2013