USC's Jefferson, UCLA's Mata-Real trying to make Lakers

USC's Jefferson, UCLA's Mata-Real trying to make Lakers

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:39 pm

Broderick Turner of the Press Enterprise wrote:They were born and raised in Los Angeles, both of them Lakers fans to different degrees. Now they share the same dream of playing for the Lakers.

It will be a long shot for Davon Jefferson or Lorenzo Mata-Real to make the team, but the opportunity presented itself when both were invited to play on LA's summer league team.

For Jefferson, who played at Lynwood High and spent one season at USC, and Mata-Real, a South Gate High grad who played four years at UCLA, this was the chance of a lifetime.

"I'm just trying to compete out here and see what happens," Mata-Real said recently. "My agent set it up all for me. When he said it was the Lakers, that's my team. I'm just grateful for the opportunity."

Jefferson's agent contacted the Lakers as well, and while Davon's first reaction was "OK, I get to stay home," he acknowledged how big it would be to make the team.

"They have a lot of tradition. They have a good fan base," Jefferson said.

Neither player has had an impact in the Lakers' first two games at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.

Mata-Real, a 6-foot-9, 240-pound center when he played at UCLA, went scoreless with four rebounds in 12 minutes in the first game and didn't play in the second. Jefferson, a 6-8 forward, has yet to play.

Jefferson took a chance coming out of college after his freshman season, in which he averaged 12.1 points and 6.3 rebounds. He went undrafted, making him a free agent.

Still, Jefferson claims he has no regrets.

"Not at all. That was my decision," he said. "I still stand by it."

Jefferson played power forward for the Trojans and now is trying to learn how to play on the wing at small forward, no easy transition.

Mata-Real was a reserve for UCLA and really didn't have any designs on getting drafted.

"If I had gotten drafted, it would be a blessing," he said. "I'm going to continue to work hard. I'll just take the hard road in. Hopefully it pays off."

Mata-Real remains realistic about his chances of playing in the NBA.

"I'm thinking about playing in Europe somewhere," he said. "I think Spain would be my first option because of my Spanish blood. I'll know the language."

Good luck. One can't get on the court and the other is the worst player in all of summer league.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:54 am

LOL at Mata trying to make the Lakers :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby High IQ on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:50 am

keep Lorenzo Mata-Real far away from Lakers, hell, even the whole NBA, PLEASE.
High IQ

Postby 81Kobe on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:50 pm

KB24@CL wrote:LOL at Mata trying to make the Lakers :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

He has the size and is a positive locker room presence. He should be allowed to develop with the D-Fenders for a year or so.
81Kobe

Postby chug o nomics on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:34 pm

81Kobe wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:LOL at Mata trying to make the Lakers :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

He has the size and is a positive locker room presence. He should be allowed to develop with the D-Fenders for a year or so.

That's crazy talk. He's unskilled and will never amount to anything in the NBA level. We'd be wasting a spot on the D-Fenders by having him around.
"The thing that made push pops good is that you had to work for them. IF YOU WERE WEAK YOU DIDN'T GET ANY."
chug o nomics

Re: USC's Jefferson, UCLA's Mata-Real trying to make Lakers

Postby eNlight on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:13 am

wow. can i play too? i thought farmar was a joke and i still think he is. mata real? you go to ucla kid, go take some classes, get your b.a. and drift away into the horizon. your future is not in the nba.
eNlight

Postby Helljumper on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:48 pm

eNlight wrote:wow. can i play too? i thought farmar was a joke and i still think he is. mata real? you go to ucla kid, go take some classes, get your b.a. and drift away into the horizon. your future is not in the nba.

This was from last year.
Helljumper

Postby laakers on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Lol at both of them. First of all hell no i hate usc lol, second of all lorenzo mata real sucks.
laakers

Postby LakerPride247 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:27 am

laakers wrote:Lol at both of them. First of all hell no i hate usc lol, second of all lorenzo mata real sucks.

This thread is from a year ago.
“This contract with Joel Anthony is a testament to the man who is second to none; who has worked hard and deserved this,” said Heat President Pat Riley. “We felt that what he has done over the last couple of years in developing his game, his body and his knowledge warrants this reward. If other NBA non-drafted free agents want a prototype to follow, Joel Anthony is that man."

Heat President/Acid abuser Pat Riley
LakerPride247

Return to Summer League 2013