PE: Young Bynum Stands Tall

PE: Young Bynum Stands Tall

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 pm

Press Enterprise: Andrew Bynum didn't like losing his first summer-league game with the Lakers on Saturday. And he didn't like the way he played.

So Bynum set out to do something about that when the Lakers played the Dallas Mavericks' summer-league team Sunday at the Pyramid.

He was a defensive presence. He was a strong rebounder. He was an offensive force.

Bynum displayed many skills and a passion for winning while helping the Lakers defeat the Mavericks, 97-69.

Bynum had 14 points, 15 rebounds and five blocked shots and intimidated countless Mavericks who dared venture into the lane.

"I just played a little bit harder," he said. "I was getting a little bit more aggressive."

The Lakers used their No. 10 pick in last summer's draft to make Bynum the youngest player drafted into the NBA. The plan was to let the 17-year-old develop and not rush him.

A year later, the Lakers see progress following Bynum's first two summer-league games. He has been working out since the Lakers were knocked out of the playoffs.

"He's still a project," said assistant coach Kurt Rambis, who is running the summer-league team. "We think he's going to be a very good ballplayer at some point and time, and this is what he needs. He needs time out there on the floor."

He should get it this summer. Bynum played 31 minutes Sunday -- far above the 7.4 he averaged as a rookie.

Bynum got pushed around a little bit Saturday. Rambis instructed him to stay low and get in a better stance Sunday.

"He told me that if they're pushing me, try to use their force against them," Bynum said. "A lot of times today I was on the opposite side of the ball and catching it coming across (the lane) instead of staying stationary. It was easier to hit me that way."

Bynum had two assists, another sign of improvement.

"I was happy to see him make good decisions on his moves, whether he made the shot or not," Rambis said. "I think he made good decisions out there, and he accepted the double teams and moved the ball on, and I liked his defense."

Marcus Slaughter and Andrew Bynum (17) try to thwart the shot attempt of Dallas' Jelani McCoy during their summer-league game. Bynum was a force with 14 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks.

Important Time for Green

After making the Lakers last year as an undrafted player out of Hampton, Devin Green is playing on the Lakers' summer-league team, playing to stay in the NBA.

The Lakers have an abundance of guards after getting three more on draft day.

Green knows he has to impress.

"I'm not worried about all the guards," said Green, who scored 12 points on 6-for-12 shooting Sunday. "I have to control what I can control."

More Lakers Notes

Von Wafer, the Lakers' second-round draft pick last year, led the team with 18 points. He hit a three-pointer just before the buzzer to end the first quarter and did the same thing again to end the third.

Jordan Farmar, in his second summer-league game, had 13 points on 5-for-8 shooting and six assists.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:17 am

A-Bomb had great game vs. Mavs, but I'll be satisified if he'll keep doing very good job in rest of games. Same is for other players like Von, Devin Green...
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby the_Dude on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:54 pm

Go Andrew! 14pt and 15reb 5 blk! I'll take that every game. Please!
the_Dude

Postby la3346 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:57 pm

What's interesting is that Bynum doesn't seem to be trying that hard. I have a feeling there's a lot we've yet to see from this kid.
la3346

Return to Summer League 2013