All US Teams thread!

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Then he cruises to victory in a qualifying swim just shortly after breaking a world record. Insane.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:05 pm

Caitlin Lowe is damn fast. She just hit an inside the park home run.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Phelps is incredible. World record after world record. They were saying his first 2 races were his most difficult. He has a great chance at taking all 8 now.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby grego on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:05 am

two0one7 wrote:Phelps is incredible. World record after world record. They were saying his first 2 races were his most difficult. He has a great chance at taking all 8 now.

Good day for US swimming overall.

Phelps
Rebbecca Soni
Natalie Coughlin
Aaron peirsol
Grieves (amazing they guy is like 6'8 with a 6'11 wing span).
grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:18 am

For those that follow swimming-

Is it me or does Ian Thorpe (Ausi) seem like a jealous has-been? He has been dogging Phelps his whole career. The dude retired from swimming and just keps hating on Phelps. That is why it is so great to see Phelps smash all of Thorps records.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:19 am

The US mens Gymnastic team :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

A bunch of no names just took the Bronze :man4: They weren't supposed to even make it to the medal rounds when the Hamm brothers both had to drop out.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby grego on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:21 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:For those that follow swimming-

Is it me or does Ian Thorpe (Ausi) seem like a jealous has-been? He has been dogging Phelps his whole career. The dude retired from swimming and just keps hating on Phelps. That is why it is so great to see Phelps smash all of Thorps records.

He's very confident. That's usually a key component to a lot of athletes. I like it though, since it gives Phelps bulletin board material.

Nice to see Leisel Jones of Australia win a gold (after all that pressure was on her to win the gold). She has all 3 medals in that event. I believe only one other person has that in the same event.
grego

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:25 am

^ Even though I wanted the American to win I liked seeing Jones finally get her medal she has always been a great and classy competitor. I was also just as stoked to see Coughlin and Peirsol defend their titles.

Still think Thorpe sounds like a jealous ex-swimmer who isn't smart enough to not add fuel to the fire of the man that keeps destroying any traces of his legacy.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:39 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:The US mens Gymnastic team :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

A bunch of no names just took the Bronze :man4: They weren't supposed to even make it to the medal rounds when the Hamm brothers both had to drop out.

Yeah good stuff.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:22 pm

Some good stories from the Olympics

US softball team rocks Venezuela 11-0 :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: They set an olympic record doing it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/softball/news?slug=ap-sof-us-venezuela&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Williams sisters are rolling

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... &type=lgns

3 wins for Venus, Serena at Beijing Olympics

BEIJING (AP)—Even by the lofty standards of the Williams sisters, three victories at the Olympics is a good day’s work.

They won in singles and doubles Tuesday, and the toughest match was the one they played together. Venus and Serena rallied in first-round doubles to beat Iveta Benesova and Nicole Vaidisova of the Czech Republic 4-6, 7-5, 6-1.

Earlier, the Williamses won second-round singles matches. Serena beat Samantha Stosur of Australia 6-2, 6-0, and Venus swept Benesova 6-1, 6-4.

The sisters could meet in Saturday’s singles final.

US Women Soccer finish first in their group

US women rout New Zealand to reach quarterfinals
SHENYANG, China (AP)—The U.S. women’s team finally found its scoring touch at the Olympics.

Heather O’Reilly scored less than a minute into the match and Amy Rodriguez, Lindsay Tarpley and Angela Hucles added a goal each to give the Unites States a 4-0 win over New Zealand and set up a quarterfinal matchup against Canada.

“Scoring four goals is such a special feeling for us,” Rodriguez said. “I’m so proud of the goals today and of how we performed out there.”

The goals were crucial to help the defending champions finish first in Group G and avoid a match against title contender Brazil. The U.S. and Norway finished with six points each atop the group, but the Americans won the tiebreaker on goal difference. Norway fell 5-1 to Japan in Shanghai

US MAN indoor volleyball team playing well after tragic stabbings (2-0) :jam2: :jam2:

BEIJING (AP)—The U.S. men’s volleyball wanted somehow to pay tribute to Todd Bachman, the American who was fatally stabbed while visiting Beijing for the Olympics, and his wife Barbara, who was wounded.

So on one shoe, they all wrote TB. On the other, they wrote BB.

It was admittedly a small gesture, but it was heartfelt.

“The Olympics are normally very big. But something like this makes it seem smaller,” middle blocker Ryan Millar said. “It’s just sport.”

All of the shoes were so marked when the U.S. team, playing with energy and determination after the tragedy that shook them, defeated Italy 3-1 on Tuesday. The U.S. team adjusted after a sluggish start to finish 24-26, 25-22, 25-15, 25-21 without coach Hugh McCutcheon
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:28 pm

The DARWIN Award winner of the Olympics thus far :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Talk about blowing four years of your life.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?s ... &type=lgns

American Warren shocked in opening round

BEIJING (TICKER) —Considered by many to be the gold medal favorite, United States flyweight Rau’Shee Warren did not even make it past his first fight.

The defending world champion Warren was outpointed, 9-8, by Korea’s Oksung Lee on Tuesday.

Lee scored the final point with about 40 seconds remaining and Warren was unaware that he was behind when the final bell rang.

“I didn’t know I was down. I thought I was up because when I started moving, the crowd started cheering,” said Warren, who is the co-captain of the U.S. team. “When I looked in the corner and the coach told me to start throwing punches I scored a shot with the hook at the last second but I didn’t get a point.”
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 pm

Jesus Christ, how many world records is Phelps going to break
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby magicmoment on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Phelps is amazing
"Fix your hair Sasha. Gotta look pretty now" - Stu Lantz
"Lakers play for Championships" ~Lamar Odom
"I just missed some bunnies." ~Kobe on Game1 [NBA Finals]

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
http://www.myspace.com/sashavujacic18
magicmoment

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:53 pm

US softball team wins in a no hitter!
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:58 pm

can anyone argue that Phelps is the greatest of all times?

I mean I dunno what to say anymore...he might be the most dominant athlete ever at what he is doing...I don't even know if Woods can dominate golf the same way as Phelps dominates pretty much everything in the pool.

amazing isn't the right word anymore for him...its just...well Michael Phelps..

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:30 pm

Damn! The US just dominated the 800 free relay.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby grego on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:47 am

Amazing how Sullivan's (AUS) record gets broken by Alain Bernard (France) and then in the next semi right after, Sullivan comes back and breaks both his day old record and Bernard's (which happened minutes ago).

Good stuff.

Nothing needs to be said about Phelps that has not already been said.
grego

Postby grego on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^ Even though I wanted the American to win I liked seeing Jones finally get her medal she has always been a great and classy competitor. I was also just as stoked to see Coughlin and Peirsol defend their titles.

Yeah, it was good. I like the Aussie's normally. Coughlin has been my favorite female swimmer for a while since I saw her years ago.

Hoff has probably been the only swimmer that has not lived up to her expectations.
grego

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:29 am

With that American boxer who lost 9-8, his corner was yelling something at him and he misinterpreted it. That really sucks.

Oh yeah 5/5 for Phelps, whoo.
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby grego on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:37 am

Feel bad for that Alicia Sacramone girl from the gymnastics. Nerves got the best of her, and she just looked like she was going to cry when they kept asking her those questions. Poor girl. Still probably would not have won the gold even if she put in her normal performances .
grego

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:10 am

grego wrote:Feel bad for that Alicia Sacramone girl from the gymnastics. Nerves got the best of her, and she just looked like she was going to cry when they kept asking her those questions. Poor girl. Still probably would not have won the gold even if she put in her normal performances .

The US lost by 2.5pts. She had a couple big deductions (along with some minor ones by the other girls) that could have possibly made up the difference.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:35 am

Not looking good for Men's soccer. They need a goal in the next 25mins to the advance to the elimination round.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:43 am

Careful now, Kobe. :mhihi:

Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby GinoDB on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:52 am

^^ hehe :mhihi: :mhihi: :man13:
GinoDB

Postby KRC18 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:18 am

two0one7 wrote:Careful now, Kobe. :mhihi:

Which sport was that from?

"We the best! Know that, don’t think it, know it! Its our turn! It's our championship! Our season! Lets go out here and make a statement! Its our turn now! Let's go!"

-Kobe Bryant
KRC18

PreviousNext

Return to Team USA