BEANS TEAM >>>> DREAM TEAM!!!

BEANS TEAM >>>> DREAM TEAM!!!

Postby kidvideo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:10 am

All day.

Chris Mullen, Christian Laettner, John Stockton, even Larry Bird and our Beloved Magic Johnson. What do all of these 1992 Dream Team members have in common? They were all slow defensive liablities.

The 2008 Bean Team is a much better collection of young athletic players, and would have ran those old dudes off the floor.

Consider a few things:

Magic was retired

Career cut short true enough, but it doesn't dispell the fact that Erv who was never the most athletic to begin with would not have been able to keep up with a 6''9 260 freak like Lebron.

Bird could barely even play

Dude was through, back was gone. His selection to the team was a lifetime achievement award.

Christian Laettner

Are you series?

John Stockton

Though he thrived from pick n roll ball where Karl Malone used dirty elbowing tactics, imagine Stock against big boy D-Will or CP3? No contest.

The most athletic guys on the team were a 6'4 Charles Barkley and an aging Clyde Drexler.

Pippen would have been the only player to guard guys like Kobe and D-Wade.

But 1 - 12, Coach K's Bean team >>>>>>>>>> Dream team.
The L.W.O. will rise again...
kidvideo

Re: BEANS TEAM >>>> DREAM TEAM!!!

Postby nameant on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:23 am

kidvideo wrote:Pippen would have been the only player to guard guys like Kobe and D-Wade

Say whaaa?
nameant

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 am

You seem to be forgetting someone.......... :mhihi:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:29 am

Also

Robinson
Ewing
Malone
Barkley

would have destroyed Bosh and Boozer. Howard is the only one who could have guarded them.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby kidvideo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:38 am

Punk-101 wrote:You seem to be forgetting someone.......... :mhihi:

Oh yea, THAT dude :bow:

But He and Beans would have cancelled each other out!
kidvideo

Postby kidvideo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:40 am

Punk-101 wrote:Also

Robinson
Ewing
Malone
Barkley

would have destroyed Bosh and Boozer. Howard is the only one who could have guarded them.

^You have 2 rings up there :mhihi:

Barkley was a beast, but he was only 6'4 which is undersized.

I'll give the 92 team the nod with the big men over all without a doubt.

But FIBA basketball places more focus on the perimeter players anyway.

No way the 92 team perimeter guys could have guared LBJ, Beans, D-Whistle and Mello .
kidvideo

Postby KB24 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:19 am

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:24 am

THis is about as close to an ESPN article as I have ever seen on CL. Use only what you need to prove your point and leave out anything that would negate it.....NOICE :jam2: :jam2:

Its a good thing we aren't talking about any of those players in their primes.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 am

kidvideo wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:Also

Robinson
Ewing
Malone
Barkley

^You have 2 rings up there :mhihi:

Barkley was a beast, but he was only 6'4 which is undersized.

I'll give the 92 team the nod with the big men over all without a doubt.

But FIBA basketball places more focus on the perimeter players anyway.

No way the 92 team perimeter guys could have guared LBJ, Beans, D-Whistle and Mello .

Barkley was undersized, but he abused near 7 footers his entire career. Bosh and Boozer would have given him no problems.

Pippen and Jordan could have guarded Bron, Wade and Melo better than anyone outside of kobe could have guarded the 92 guards/sf's.

An remember. Even though magic was nearing retirement, he was still amazing. He would have abused Paul and Deron.

Look up magic's comeback game in 96 on youtube. He had 19pts 10asts and 8 rbs in only 27 minutes. This is a fat and bloated Magic who hadn't played in a long time, 4 years after the dream team.
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby kidvideo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:42 am

Barkley was undersized, but he abused near 7 footers his entire career. Bosh and Boozer would have given him no problems

Funny you say that.

I distinctly remember when Barkley was asked back in 1993, his prime year, which NBA player gave him the most trouble and he said a young man by the name of Elden Campbell!!!

Don't forget, he almost led the Lakers to beating the Suns in that 93 playoffs series.

Charles was ahead of the pack physically as was Jordan. Bosh and Boozer are on par with the Elden Campbell's of the world!

Pippen and Jordan could have guarded Bron, Wade and Melo better than anyone outside of kobe could have guarded the 92 guards/sf's.

They would have had their hands full, and who would have guarded the 3rd guy? Beans + LBJ = M.J. + Pip

But the who checks Wade, or Melo?

An remember. Even though magic was nearing retirement, he was still amazing. He would have abused Paul and Deron.

Look up magic's comeback game in 96 on youtube. He had 19pts 10asts and 8 rbs in only 27 minutes. This is a fat and bloated Magic who hadn't played in a long time, 4 years after the dream team.

No argument there. I remember that 96 Lakers team with Magic and Van Exel and Eddie and Ced Ceb beating Shaq and Penny in Orlando, ending their 30+ home winning streak :jam2:
kidvideo

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:41 am

Maybe Elden just had Chuck's number. All I know is HOF's like Malone, Mchale, etc got abused by Barkley. Just because Chcuk mentioned lowly Elden, doesn't mean Bosh and Boozer would have contained him. Kobe once mentioned Eric Snow as the best defender on him.

About the guard defense, you have a point, but I still go with 92.
92 had two elite defenders in Pip and MJ
08 has only kobe.

True 08 has on extra weapon in wade, but hes not a great perimeter shooter and 92's bigs would meet him in the paint.
Also, having two defenders in MJ and PIp is a huge luxury with being able to be versatile and switch from guarding pg's to sg's to sf's. Only kobe can do that on 08. Dont forget, stockton was one of the mostyy underrated, feisty, craftiest defenders in league history.
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby L4L on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Kobe can't cancel Mike out...

The story ends in the front-court and why even try to argue any differently? Ewing, Malone, Barkley, D-Rob... They would DESTROY Redeem team. Prime D-Rob is nearly as athletic as Dwight except longer, taller, and FAR FAR more skilled. Ewing or Bosh... Tough decision. :man10:

Don't tell me people actually think that Chris Mullin isn't better than Michael Redd? Mullin was 1st Team All-NBA in 91-92. Clyde might struggle to guard Wade, but no way in hell midget D-Wade can even contest 6'7" Clyde the Glyde's shot.

I mean come on guys.. The level of homerism is off the charts.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby kidvideo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:53 pm

Punk-101 wrote:Maybe Elden just had Chuck's number. All I know is HOF's like Malone, Mchale, etc got abused by Barkley. Just because Chcuk mentioned lowly Elden, doesn't mean Bosh and Boozer would have contained him. Kobe once mentioned Eric Snow as the best defender on him.

About the guard defense, you have a point, but I still go with 92.
92 had two elite defenders in Pip and MJ
08 has only kobe.

True 08 has on extra weapon in wade, but hes not a great perimeter shooter and 92's bigs would meet him in the paint.
Also, having two defenders in MJ and PIp is a huge luxury with being able to be versatile and switch from guarding pg's to sg's to sf's. Only kobe can do that on 08. Dont forget, stockton was one of the mostyy underrated, feisty, craftiest defenders in league history.[/quote]

Stock was a good passing lane defender. He used his quickness to jump in and get steals.

But as far as one on one isolation island defense? Nah. Any of those guards D-Will or CP3 would destroy Stockton on D.

Pip and MJ were a part of great defensive team effort. Nobody shuts down superstars one on one.

You just have 3 25 pt. plust players with all-star/HOF talent.
kidvideo

Postby bb7793 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:49 pm

U guys do know that Boozer is only 6'7 and that Bosh weighs as much as one of Malone's arms!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"i was gonna rip his heart out, im the best ever. im the most brutal, viscious, and most ruthless champion theres every been. my style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, im just furocious i want your heart, i want to eat his children. Praise Be To ALLAH!!"

- Mike Tyson
bb7793

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Dream Team beats Redeem Team by 20 on average. No question about it.

If we brought our best like the Dream Team did? I'm talking adding Bynum, Garnett, Duncan, etc.

Then we have a match. Still, Dream is tougher.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby BDG on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Magic would just post up the point guards and it would be game over.

And the Dream team frontcourt (specifically the big men) destroys the Redeem team.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Funny thing is the on ESPN they have this topic. If you go to the NBA page it has a great picture of Bron, Melo and Wade with Magic, Bird and MJ behind them. I don't know how to copy and post pics but it seems to be missing one true component of the Redeem Team...... Oh well can't say I didn't expect it.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby jlkr on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:30 pm

The Dream Team big men were way ahead of anything the 08 team has for post players. That was the one 08 team weakness, that they did not have strong post players outside of Howard and Howard is not as good as Ewing or Robinson were. At PF, Lebron and Anthony get abused at the defensive end by Barkley and Malone, heck Bosh would have come up short too against those guys, forget Bosh guarding Ewing or Robinson. Writers talk about Anthony being the prototype international PF, well I gotta tell ya, Anthony has nothing on either Barkley or Malone. Those guys were stronger inside, decent midrange jumpers, fabulous rebounders, good-to-excellent defenders, decent passers and they could run the floor well enough to negate the 08 team transition game.

I know today's fanboys love this team, don't get me wrong, I like them too. But don't engage in revisionist history here, the '92 team was so much better in the post, it's not funny.
jlkr

Postby KGB on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:04 pm

L4L wrote:I mean come on guys.. The level of homerism is off the charts.
Homerism to our time? :mhihi:

There are lakers on both teams so I'm not sure what your talking about.
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:33 pm

KGB wrote:

I was actually thinking the same thing. Most haven't even discussed Kobe vs anybody let alone MJ. All of the talk have been based on the bigs. I can understand the "homerism" comment if all the post were "Redeem team wins because we got #24 and thats all you need". Then that would justify the comment but it isn't far-fetched to think that they could win. I don't think they can but it wouldn't be far-fetched.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby kidvideo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 pm

KGB wrote:

EXACTLY!!!

Hey guys, let's discuss this on my radio show that will be on in about 30 minutes.

Call me at (347) 237-4569
kidvideo

Postby grego on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:37 am

Man this thread is a joke. Seriously, people forgot just how good that dream team was. Heck, they would not have even let Spain breathe in that Gold medal game.

Punk-101 wrote:would have destroyed Bosh and Boozer. Howard is the only one who could have guarded them.

If Howard is the only one, they are doomed. Howard is decent at best in individual defense. That's his weakest area on the defensive end.
grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby Lakers Dynasty Reborn on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:11 am

kidvideo wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:You seem to be forgetting someone.......... :mhihi:

Oh yea, THAT dude :bow:

But He and Beans would have cancelled each other out!

What about these two players careers (If you're refeering to who I think you are) has led you to believe that they would have 'cancelled each other out' ?
Lakers Dynasty Reborn

Postby DMK on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 am

make no mistake about it....

The 1992 Olympic US Mens Basketball team was, is and will most likely be the single greatest Basketball team ever assembled.

that being said, isnt John Stockton the NBA's all time leader in STEALS and ASSISTS.....by a large margin??? :man3: people talk about him like he made a career off of luck. smh. :disagree:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby kidvideo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:35 am

Lakers Dynasty Reborn wrote:
What about these two players careers has led you to believe that they would have 'cancelled each other out' ?

Well one may be the most prolific scoring player in the history of the NBA, doing things no other player in our modern era has done.

The Other may be the greatest Player of all time Himself.

I'm sure one would not have the advantage over the other.
kidvideo

Next

Return to Team USA