Bill Walton ???

Postby KB24 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:52 am

Here a Bill Walton quote I CRACK UP everytime I read it...

he was very injury prone during his career for those who didn´t know...

just read and all I say is LMAO

I learned a long time ago that minor surgery is when they do the operation on someone else, not you. ~Bill Walton

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby png247 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:54 am

i'd be thrilled to have bill announce laker games. one of the funniest announcers around. master of poking fun at players/refs without actually saying it.
png247

Postby Chicano on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:08 pm

"san antonio has not seen a team the caliber of the nets..."

"chris childs let the opportunity of having the best job in the world being kidds backup go away because he couldnt get himself away from the buffet table"

After Posey thrashes Dirk Nowitzki to the ground and getting called a flagrant foul:

"Posey just looked at Nowitzki as to say it was all his fault."

"Where would the La Clippers franchise be without Sean Rooks?"

"He's everywhere! Rebounds, Assists... Shawn Bradley is looking like Hakeem Olajuwan!"

"Lindsay Hunter is making Devean George look like John Stockton."

Before Game 6 of the finals:

"...and there's David Robinson, who has done so much for the league and w/o his accomplishments, none of us would be here."

What? LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Walton - "You're talking about one of the best defensive forwards in the HISTORY of the NBA, Robert Horry. And Tim Duncan is just making it look sooo easy."

Tom Tolbert - "Alright, Bill, I think you're taking it a little too far"

LMAO!!

"Is that what it's come to? What is Rick Adelman thinking?! You're not gonna beat this great Laker team with Scott Pollard bringing the ball up the court!"

"shaquille o'neal wouldn't be near half the player he is today if his toes were chopped off"

Walton: That has to be a foul.
Snapper: Against who?
Walton: Against the game of basketball.

Nessler: And Samaki Walker enters the game

Walton: So THIS is what its come too?

"Hedo Turkoglu is such a beauuuuutiful player"

"THATS MCHALE! THATS JABBAR!"

"and *insert player or coach here* wants to know WHAT IS A FOUL??"

"if thats not a foul, then why have a rule book?"

and one of my all time favorites....

after the Kings/Mavs game 1 "Raef Lafrentz and Shawn Bradley should start considering a new career"

He just barely missed on that attempt (When it was a horrible airball)
What a pass (A fu*ked up shot that ends up so off it lands in someone elses hands)
They are going to have one of those nights where they score alot of points (NJ after they had a 4-2 lead on SA in game 2 3 mintues into the game)

"THROW IT DOWN SHAWN (when shawn bradley dunked against the spurs)"
"THROW IT DOWN BIG MEN, THROW IT DOWN".....classic
"BLOW IT OUT BIG MEN" (to BEn Wallace's Fro')...classic
"WHAT IS A FOUL?"
"CAN SOMEBODY MAKE A SHOT?"

"THROW IT DOWN MARK MADSEN, THROW IT DOWN!!!"

"SEND IT BACK OKUR, SEND IT BACK!!!"

Danny Ferry is just a tremendous player...

"This is a travesty"

"that is by far the worse inbound pass in spurs history"

^^^he said that when the spurs lost to LA when LA wore there white jerseys

*after a failed dunk**
"Awwww (insert white player's name here), you just set the white manback 20 years..."

"What a pathetic play from a pathetic human being"

Knicks Spurs series in 1999. He was tlaking about Larry Johnson

After Kenyon Martin got a technical foul for slapping the
glass & screaming and tuggin on his jersey, Tolbert defended
Martin sayin he likes it when players show emotion, Walton said
" Well what would you do if he ripped his shirt off! "

"Atlanta needs all 13 lottery picks"

"if anthony johnson ever gets a jumper whos gonna stop him"?

"as good a career as rodney rogers had his career is pretty tragic, with his talent rodney should have been the unstoppable force in the nba"

"HORRENDOUS defense!!!"

"what a pass!"

There was some ugly play going on, the ball was turned over 3 times in 10 seconds, but no one touched anyone.....

"Yesterday we celebrated Sir Isaac Newton's discovery of gravity, today, Fabricio Oberto is defying it."

"And we can only hope that Shaq is able to return as quickly as possible. We're well aware of how hard he worked all summer to come back in tip-top shape to defend his fourth championship."

"Artis Gilmore gave me more trouble than anyone else, but that was because he had no comprehension that double dribbling, three seconds, offensive fouls, and travelling were not only against the rules of basketball, but against the rules of human decency."

"The only man who can stop cliff robinson is Cliff robinson. The man is unstoppable even at 38."

"that may be the worst pass in the history of western civilization"

"Greg Ostertag is one of the top centers on this planet"

" i want to see ben wallace come out with war paint on his face"

Where would you like it NEXT time, Samaki?

"Ben Wallace is the Pistons superstar...and he can't get a foul...what a travesty?"

"They called that a foul... Thats not a foul. This is the playoffs, Let em play..."

"THROW IT DOWN BIG MAN...THROW IT DOWN"

"This is Jason Kidd's world... were just lucky to be living in it."

lmao.. yo he said that [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] in game 6 spurs v lakers. tony parker and steve jackson had a 2 on 1 break against fisher.. Parker threw a booty bounce pass and fisher dove like a shortstop and tip it outa bounce to break it up.

walton says:

"jackson can jump outa the building, why didnt he just throw him a lob pass...

That has to be the worst pass in the history of spurs basketball"

"Shaq makes everyone else in the league look like Michel Tafoya"

"Rasheed Wallace is putting his fingers over his lips to silence the crowd. Like HE has actually brought his game today to tell them to be quiet!"

"Throw it down big man...throw it down" is just classic. Especially when he says it about someone extra wack like sean bradley.

“Tracy McGrady is doing things we’ve never seen from anybody – from any planet!”

"Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards."

“John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”

“Yao Ming is the best thing to happen to the NBA in a long time. He is just a beautiful person inside and out. The vision, the creativity, the gentleness of spirit … he has it all.”

"Its a critical game, the battle for 10th place!"

"...In order for Orlando to be successfull tonight the offense MUST go through Danny Schayes"

"You know why the jump ball is great? The fate of the free world, every night is decided by the jump ball."

"When I think of Boris Diaw, I think of Beethoven in the age of the romantics."

"If Eric Piatkowski continues playing at this level, he's going to replace Jerry West on the NBA logo."

From a Spurs playoff game a few years ago, after Tony Parker bounced a pass off Duncan's left shin:
"That was one of the worst passes I've ever seen, and certainly the worst pass in the history of the San Antonio Spurs."

The first Danny Schayes comment really is a good barometer... if I would have heard that before, I would have thought something like, "What? Danny Schayes is horrible. Is Bill Walton on crack?" Now, I realize that Walton knows Schayes is horrible, and that's why the quote is funny. It's meant to be outlandish.

The Diaw and Piatkowski quotes are hilarious. Great stuff everyone.

"What are they waiting for in order to start playing hard? Tomorrow's game? There's no tomorrow, there's no next week, there's no next year--there's only today! This is the NBA Finals!!"

"Cuttino Mobley has just made the two worst shot attempts in the history of this proud Houston Rockets franchise."

Amazingly, on the next possession, it happened again! With the camera trained on the Rockets bench, Walton warmly adds, "The patience of a coach. Rudy T... that guy's going STRAIGHT to heaven!"

Years back when NBC was broadcasting basketball, Derek Fisher then of the Lakers got fouled and this was Walton's comment after he makes his first free throw:

"Derek Fisher makes the first. His parents did a great job raising him in Little Rock, Arkansas."

The timing of that quote was priceless.

In Luke Walton's rookie year he was rumored to be dating Britney Spears, before she was Federlined. So Bill was doing one of his son's games and they addressed it - his comment was:

"I told Luke, you're young, you're rich, and you're living in Beverly Hills. If you're not having the time of your life right now, I have failed you as a father."

2001 playoffs when the Philadelphia 76ers made their run to the finals, Bill Walton commented on Dikembe Mutombo's phisical features
"look at the chizzled body of dikembe, not a bead of sweat visible on his forehead, he is the prototypical center for the future of the NBA that all other centres should be based on"

Along with all the other 'worst pass in the history of...' and so on, i loved the one when Francis blocked Mike James off the backboard and upon replay Walton claimed that "that was the absolute worst call of this millennia"

Finally I love when any player who rarely contributes but works hard makes a few good plays and Walton compares them to NBA greats and asks questions why there arent starting, etc.

after Greg Ostertag of all people barely made a two handed dunk, walton exclaimed, "the offensive presence of greg ostertag is quite overwhelming sometimes!"

Ginobili was playing really well in a Spurs game once, had like 30+ points and Walton said, "Ginobili is so important to this team because of all the intangibles he provides, like offensive rebounds."

And another time Amare Stoudamire blew by some defender on another team for a dunk and Walton shouts, "Amare Stoudamire! Winner of the genetic lottery!"

After a pass bounced off Kobe's stomach by mistake and he eventually stole the ball..

"When you intercept the ball with your stomach, that is great defense" - Bill Walton

Walton: That's not a foul
Snapper Jones: Looked like one to me Bill, and the ref too.
Walton: Come on, that was no foul! It may be a violation of all the basic rules of human decency, but its not a foul.

Alpert: Eric Snow dribbles down, and launches a three! (misses)
Walton: What is Eric Snow doing launching three pointers? Can someone tell me when the last time Eric Snow made a three pointer?
Alpert: Actually, last time down the court Bill....
Walton: Oh....can someone tell me why Eric Snow isn't getting more three point opportunties?

Walton came for a day to a SoCal basketball camp I was attending as a teenager. It was around his celtics time (he was a fabulous teacher by the way)
We were doing 3 on 1 fastbreak with Walton the lone defender swatting everything away. My friend threw up a crazy high arching prayer to avoid his block and it went in. Elated he laughed to us "I just *faced* Bill Walton!"

Walton: Ruiz! Expect Red Auerbach on the phone any minute!

Ruiz was my friend's name. In the camp one day, Walton remembered every single players name within about 2 hours. He had a phenomenal memory, perhaps the greatest memory in the history of western civilization.

During a regular season Bulls game a couple years ago Walton made a comment on Chris Duhon saying "This is quite possibly the biggest game of Duhon's life". Then the other announcer said in a very monotone voice that Duhon was part of the Duke national championship team. Then followed by a few seconds of silence. It was priceless.

on nash: 'stevie nash is the best-conditioned athlete on the planet.' when his partner says 'even better than lance armstrong', walton responds 'possibly'

a couple years ago, last game before the all-star break. during a timeout the camera pans the benches to show all of the allstars, who have been taken out of the game just before halftime. play resumes with the subs, and it's incredibly sloppy. walton says 'by the way, these guys are NOT on the all star team'

This one is from 2000 when he would still do the Clipper games. The Clips had just lost to the Nuggets after being up by 10 with 3 minutes to go:
BILL: The most disasterous loss in Clippers history.
Great stuff!

In early April of 2003, during a Nets/Kings game on ABC, both teams were flying up and down the court, trading baskets. Walton proclaims: "This is the greatest 5 minutes of basketball in the HISTORY of the game!"

On Shawn Bradley: "Shawn Bradley, you're 7 foot 6. SUCCESS IS A CHOICE!"

in a mavs game bill once said "dirk nowitzki"s shot is like a gazelle,flowing through the swiss alps"

"If you don't like Vince Carter, you're either depressed or a critic"

By the way Bill Walton is doing commentary for the FIBA games right now...Definitely a must see.
Anyways he was talking during the USA vs. Venezuela game the other night and made the following comment:

"Rasheed Wallace is a loose as any cannon on a ship."

Also, the other night he was on ESPN talking about Vick and Tim Donahue and made the following comment:

"40 years ago it was called the Summer of Love. Today, it is called the Summer of Madness!"

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
"What balance What on court-awareness!"

--Bill Walton, as Shaq tiptoes the baseline and saves the possession. 4.20.2003

"Flip Saunders throws up his hands in exasperated dismay!"

"How long do these hockey games last?"

"All Don Nelson can do is shake his head and ask what has happened to our once beautiful team?" --Bill Walton, as Portland dismantles Dallas. 5.2.2003

"What a palace this is."

-- Bill Walton, referring to the Rose Garden. 5.2.2003

"This Portland team is nothing more than a band of pranksters."

"Sabonis is the epitome of competitive greatness."

"You're soft."

-- Bill Walton, to Tom Tolbert 5.4.2003

"He had everything, he had... a doll."

-- Bill Walton, on Penny Hardaways fall from prominence 1.21.2004

"You tower over Allen Iverson yourself, you could post him up."

-- Bill Walton, to Brent Musberger. 2.1.2004

"He's been working out in the off-season, on that incredible computer generated body he has."

-- Bill Walton, on Kevin Garnett. 2.1.2004

"Shaq with the monster throwdown, the basket just reverberating."

"You talk about Shaq as a ballerina, what a pirouette from Yao!"
Chicano

Postby Juronimo on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:32 pm

Satan wrote:Bill Walton has been the best basketball announcer since the day Chick died. Be happy you're getting exposed to a little something extra.

I cosign 100%

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Phat$haq on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:43 pm

png247 wrote:i'd be thrilled to have bill announce laker games.

The mute button on my remote would be just as thrilled.
Basketball is my religion. Staples Center is my temple. Kobe Bryant is my leader. Laker fans are my brothers.
Phat$haq

Postby Juronimo on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:43 pm

My favorite Bill Walton moment:

Back when he was still doing Clipper games, I was watching a game and the other team shot and missed, and the ball just landed into Michael Olowakandi's hands. Bill Walton exclaims "Olowakandi!!!! Power REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBOUND!!!!!!!!!!"

Before than, I hated Bill Walton, but then I realized what it is he was doing. He intentionally exagerates things for effect. it's part of his character. Just take it for what it is, entertainment.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:20 am

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby JoPNBA on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:45 am

marv albert >>>>>>>>>>> bill walton
Teams
MLB
Boston Red Sox
San Francisco Giants
NBA
Miami Heat
Los Angeles Lakers
Boston Celtics
NFL
New England Patriots
Dallas Cowboys

College
USC Trojans
JoPNBA

Postby nameant on Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:38 am

Wait...they weren't even in Vegas? They were calling the games from a studio in Bristol, CT???? WTF? :man3:
nameant

Postby Chicano on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:26 pm

:man10:
Chicano

Postby Weezy on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:37 pm

nameant wrote:Wait...they weren't even in Vegas? They were calling the games from a studio in Bristol, CT???? WTF? :man3:

OMG no way, what a joke. I was wondering why they never showed Walton or his partner before the games, they just went straight to it. No wonder they confused certain players on certain plays, they couldn't see it directly from the floor they were watching on tv like us, lol.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby ShowtimeInLA on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:35 pm

Satan wrote:Bill Walton has been the best basketball announcer since the day Chick died. Be happy you're getting exposed to a little something extra.

no crap. bill walton gives great insight and he knows what hes talking about. he also is pretty intelligent.
ShowtimeInLA

Postby Chicano on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:40 pm

^ :jam2:
Chicano

Postby mrand on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:51 pm

bill walton is the best out there. even besides the mic, i think he's an interesting guy. dylan, greatful dead, pothead :man12: , interested in politics, very ironic, above average horizon. to be honest, it's heart warmening to see a less-stereotypical ex-player to do the games for us.

especially when you have to watch games way after midnight like we germans, it's good to have bill talking.....
comes playoff time... comes laker time....
mrand
Contributing Member

Previous

Return to Team USA