China Daily: Kobe brags that US will win Olympic gold

China Daily: Kobe brags that US will win Olympic gold

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:43 am

China Daily: Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant believes the USA national team have what it takes to win gold at the Beijing Olympics despite the recent disappointment at the World Championships in Japan.

The 27-year-old sensation visited Beijing during the weekend as part of his "81 Asia Tour," that ended on Sunday.

"Actually we were doing fine at the Worlds," said Bryant. "My team-mates are absolutely the best players in the world and the team is a great collection and combination of young and talented.

"Now we have two more years to get ourselves even stronger, so I think we have the elements to win the gold medal at the Beijing Games."

Bryant had been drafted by head coach Mike Krzyzewski but was then sidelined at the Worlds due to knee injury, only to watch his team ousted by Greece in the semi-finals. The humiliating experience motivates him to return to the national team and is now hungry for international competitions.

"I am so excited to join the team in games," he said. "I am looking forward to the challenge from the best teams in the world, like Spain and Greece.

"I haven't played with coach K but I really hope that I can at the Beijing Olympics. It's clear that it's impossible to lead a team to world champion just by myself, I need support from my team-mates and coaches. We've got to win as a team and lose as a team."

Bryant is widely seen as one of the most outstanding players in the league. He scored 81 points against Toronto in January this year, the second-highest total in NBA history. During the 2005-2006 season, Bryant ranked No 1 in the NBA in terms of points per game (35.4) and averaged 27.5 points at the play-offs.

He took part in the closing ceremony of a Nike training camp for youngsters as a coach in Beijing on Saturday and watched a game of Nike Chinese Middle School League.

"The basketball atmosphere is awesome," Bryant said. "Yao Ming opened the door for Chinese at NBA. He set a good example of how Chinese players made it into NBA.

"It's not about where you're from, it's about your practice and effort. I am looking forward to seeing more Chinese players in NBA."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Juronimo on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:46 am

I think it's written in Kobe's contract to say the word "challenge" in every interview he gives.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:51 am

Juronimo wrote:I think it's written in Kobe's contract to say the word "challenge" in every interview he gives.

If that's the case, then he better hope no one questions him on how he manages not to cheat on his wife anymore. :mhihi:
Savory Griddles

Postby flexxdzl on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:28 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
Juronimo wrote:I think it's written in Kobe's contract to say the word "challenge" in every interview he gives.

If that's the case, then he better hope no one questions him on how he manages not to cheat on his wife anymore. :mhihi:

Kobe: " I enjoy the challenge of not sleeping with all these fine women" " even though I have seen some of the most beautiful women out here in china the challenge is not getting caught...ummm I mean not getting caught up..lol

We will win gold!
flexxdzl

Postby lakerzkb8 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:31 pm

this thread just got reallly lame :disagree:
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby damNzzi~ on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:34 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:

:man10:
Kobe wanted a team of his own. Now let's see how it will work out....
-- The Passion of the Kobe
damNzzi~

Postby kwamemvp on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:01 pm

Kobe will own
My top 5

Kobe
Wade
Nash
Bron
Duncan
kwamemvp

Re: China Daily: Kobe brags that US will win Olympic gold

Postby flexxdzl on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:12 pm

JSM wrote:
China Daily: Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant believes the USA national team have what it takes to win gold at the Beijing Olympics despite the recent disappointment at the World Championships in Japan.

The 27-year-old sensation visited Beijing during the weekend as part of his "81 Asia Tour," that ended on Sunday.

"Actually we were doing fine at the Worlds," said Bryant. "My team-mates are absolutely the best players in the world and the team is a great collection and combination of young and talented.

"Now we have two more years to get ourselves even stronger, so I think we have the elements to win the gold medal at the Beijing Games."

Bryant had been drafted by head coach Mike Krzyzewski but was then sidelined at the Worlds due to knee injury, only to watch his team ousted by Greece in the semi-finals. The humiliating experience motivates him to return to the national team and is now hungry for international competitions.

"I am so excited to join the team in games," he said. "I am looking forward to the challenge from the best teams in the world, like Spain and Greece.

"I haven't played with coach K but I really hope that I can at the Beijing Olympics. It's clear that it's impossible to lead a team to world champion just by myself, I need support from my team-mates and coaches. We've got to win as a team and lose as a team."

Bryant is widely seen as one of the most outstanding players in the league. He scored 81 points against Toronto in January this year, the second-highest total in NBA history. During the 2005-2006 season, Bryant ranked No 1 in the NBA in terms of points per game (35.4) and averaged 27.5 points at the play-offs.

He took part in the closing ceremony of a Nike training camp for youngsters as a coach in Beijing on Saturday and watched a game of Nike Chinese Middle School League.

"The basketball atmosphere is awesome," Bryant said. "Yao Ming opened the door for Chinese at NBA. He set a good example of how Chinese players made it into NBA.

"It's not about where you're from, it's about your practice and effort. I am looking forward to seeing more Chinese players in NBA."

I hate that they say brags...it says believes..there is a big difference
flexxdzl

Postby Satan on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:22 pm

Just for comparison sake, which countries players have said they expect to lose at the Olympics?

Of course he believes in himself and his team, an athlete who doubts himself has already lost the game.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:51 pm

Satan wrote:Just for comparison sake, which countries players have said they expect to lose at the Olympics?

Of course he believes in himself and his team, an athlete who doubts himself has already lost the game.
Exactly.
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby nameant on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:09 pm

brags? my goodness. what is every1s problem? we're talking about a guy who wants to bring a Gold medal to this country and people wanna make him look bad? just disgusting.
nameant

Postby kwamemvp on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:11 pm

nameant wrote:brags? my goodness. what is every1s problem? we're talking about a guy who wants to bring a Gold medal to this country and people wanna make him look bad? just disgusting.

the hate for kobe is ridiculous
My top 5

Kobe
Wade
Nash
Bron
Duncan
kwamemvp

Postby ladam24 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:51 pm

I'm glad he's eager to get out there, and i'm glad i'll be able to watch him perform.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:55 pm

ladam24 wrote:I'm glad he's eager to get out there, and i'm glad i'll be able to watch him perform.

Honeymoon video? :man3:
Savory Griddles

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:00 pm

kwamemvp wrote:
nameant wrote:brags? my goodness. what is every1s problem? we're talking about a guy who wants to bring a Gold medal to this country and people wanna make him look bad? just disgusting.

you mean "insane"
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:02 pm

flexxdzl wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:

Kobe: " I enjoy the challenge of not sleeping with all these fine women" " even though I have seen some of the most beautiful women out here in china the challenge is not getting caught...ummm I mean not getting caught up..lol

We will win gold!

:man10: literally laughed out loud
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby LO7cK35 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
kwamemvp wrote:

you mean "insane"

because they said he brags? i don't see any hate there
LO7cK35

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:12 pm

LO7cK35 wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:
kwamemvp wrote:

you mean "insane"

i was givin kwamemvp a hard time cause of his sig. he's always saying "the hate of this guy or that guy is insane" so when he said ridiculous, i jumped on him.
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:46 pm

^^lol
sorry for post padding
but that made me chuckle
:man10:

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby jBL on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:39 pm

He probably said something like 'believe' or 'thinks', but media changed it to 'brag.'
jBL

Postby lakerzkb8 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:49 pm

how was he bragging? :man3:
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:53 pm

he has the right to "brag" because hes telling the truth
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby autumnbird77 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:31 pm

jungbum wrote:He probably said something like 'believe' or 'thinks', but media changed it to 'brag.'

Asian papers are Sooo 'creative' with their misquotes in their efforts to create controvercy or to support their argument. Well...I can't speak for all asian newspapers but I've seen so many from Korean papers and Chinese papers as well.

Just a week ago when Kobe gave a politically correct response to an interview with Korean media, regarding Korean center Ha, Seung-ji, the reported wrote that Kobe said he was worried about how lakers were going to stop him because he was so tall, but in reality, all kobe said was he was conerned that Ha was so tall when Ha played lakers for the first time. :freak2:
autumnbird77

Postby jBL on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:52 pm

autumnbird77 wrote:
jungbum wrote:He probably said something like 'believe' or 'thinks', but media changed it to 'brag.'

Asian papers are Sooo 'creative' with their misquotes in their efforts to create controvercy or to support their argument. Well...I can't speak for all asian newspapers but I've seen so many from Korean papers and Chinese papers as well.

Just a week ago when Kobe gave a politically correct response to an interview with Korean media, regarding Korean center Ha, Seung-ji, the reported wrote that Kobe said he was worried about how lakers were going to stop him because he was so tall, but in reality, all kobe said was he was conerned that Ha was so tall when Ha played lakers for the first time. :freak2:

more like a rip service.. :man10:
well Ha did score his career high against the Laker game and crushed us on last game of 04-05.
jBL

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:27 pm

LO7cK35 wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:
kwamemvp wrote:

you mean "insane"

I think the issue here is the perception of Kobe when he says something like " I believe we'll win gold" its because he's being "selfish" and "arrogant"

As opposed to LeBron or Wade saying it its "humble" and " confident"

There really should be no issue here but again its all about the perception.
Basketball Fan

Next

Return to Team USA