Coach K adds 3 assistants: D'Antoni, Boeheim, McMillan

Coach K adds 3 assistants: D'Antoni, Boeheim, McMillan

Postby JSM on Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:30 pm

ESPN: Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, Syracuse University's Jim Boeheim and Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan were named Monday as assistants to head coach Mike Krzyzewski for the U.S. basketball team.

The mix of NBA and college coaches form the staff of the first true U.S. national team to compete in next year's world championships and the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"This staff encompasses all the areas that need to be addressed," Krzyzewski said in a statement. "We have NBA experience. We have international experience. We have backgrounds to teach different styles of basketball, including zone offense and defense."

Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball managing director and chairman of the Phoenix Suns, made the announcement at a news conference.

He cited D'Antoni's international experience as a player and coach in Italy for 20 years, Boeheim's familiarity with the zone offenses and defenses common in the international game and McMillan's toughness as a defensive player and coach.

After disappointing showings in the world championships and the Athens Olympics, USA Basketball re-formed its organization and named Colangelo as the sole leader charged with returning U.S. supremacy to what he calls "our game."

He is forming the first true U.S. national team to compete in both major international competitions. The coaches and players will not be paid and must make a three-year commitment.

A permanent training site will be selected soon, Colangelo said. The camp will be held next summer with some 20 players selected to compete for spots on the team that will compete in the world championships in Japan.

"The camp will begin approximately July 18 and we're not finished until Sept. 4," Colangelo said. "That's going to be a grind."

D'Antoni said the international game "probably is closer to the college game than the pro game. That's why I think coach K will do such a great job."

Boeheim is in his 30th season as Syracuse coach with a career record of 707-243. His Orangemen won the 2003 national championship. This is the eighth time Boeheim has served on a USA Basketball coaching staff.

"There is no greater honor a basketball coach can have than to coach for your country," Boeheim said in a statement released by USA Basketball. "I believe the whole country will unite behind this effort to win back the gold medal."

McMillan coached the Seattle SuperSonics for five seasons before moving to the Trail Blazers this fall. He led the Sonics to a surprising 52-30 record in 2004-05, sixth-best in the NBA. He played all 12 of NBA seasons with Seattle.

"I was pleasantly surprised when I was asked to be a member of the coaching staff" of the U.S. team, McMillan said. "I am so honored to have been asked. This is the greatest achievement of my basketball career."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:41 pm

hmmm at least team USA has a coaching staff where the philosophy fits the player profile. Brown tried to make them a defensive team and it didn´t work.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby MarkMadsen on Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:42 pm

D'Antoni is a kobe guy. :man12:
MarkMadsen

Postby mojoballer on Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:22 pm

D'Antoni, Colangelo and McMillan?

We're gonna try to score 120 points a game! :man1:

Can't wait to see who they invite to the team.
mojoballer

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:03 pm

mojoballer wrote:D'Antoni, Colangelo and McMillan?

We're gonna try to score 120 points a game! :man1:

Can't wait to see who they invite to the team.

the whole phoenix suns team
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby JSM on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:28 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:D'Antoni is a kobe guy. :man12:

So is Coach K. :jam2: :jam2:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby eNlight on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:18 pm

gold for sure :jam2:
eNlight

Postby d.James on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:54 pm

Great choices. Intelligent, open-minded individuals who have experience either with the international game (D'Antoni) or have a concept of it (McMillan). I won't pretend to know about Jim Boeheim's coaching style. I do know he's a Hall-of-Famer who's been very successful at Syracuse. All in all, the right choices. Let's hope the players are just as well chosen - a team not a headline-grabbing list.
With expectation comes responsibility. Respect is earned. When opportunity arises, preparation will calm nerves, inspire confidence, and help you to realize the moment. Where there is failure is a blueprint of how to improve. To fail to learn, even with talent, makes you ordinary. To learn from all experiences is to learn to become the best.
www.facebook.com/loudaboutbasketball
d.James
Clublakers Rep: Pistons

Return to Team USA