Cuban questions Olympic Basketball Model

Cuban questions Olympic Basketball Model

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:42 pm

Honestly I agree with him

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=425159

Cuban questions Olympic basketball model
E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 16 WATCH THIS TOPIC
Posted: June 18, 2008
Sporting News staff reports


Sources have said Dallas Mavericks point guard Jason Kidd will be part of the U.S. Olympic team, and Mavs owner Mark Cuban isn't happy about that, the Dallas Morning News reports.

U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski has said he will announce the Olympic team lineup on Monday. Cuban has another player due to play in Beijing, Dirk Nowitzki, if his German national team makes it through a qualifier in July.

"It's not that I don't like the idea of them representing their countries," Cuban told the newspaper. "If the Olympics were truly a nationalistic endeavor built on sport and part of the public domain, I would be willing to take risk and support their playing. What I don't like is that we lie to ourselves and pretend that the Olympians represent our country.

"They don't. They have taken relatively low paying jobs working for the Olympics, who in turn sell the broadcast and marketing rights for billions of dollars in profits, all the while creating enormous risk for those of us who pay them for their day jobs that support their families. It's amazing how players who are free agents won't participate, but those with guaranteed contracts will.

"I hate the fact that we lie to ourselves and pretend this is about representing country," Cuban said. "It's not. It's about money."

Cuban will pay Kidd and Nowitzki, two vital members of the Mavericks, more than $39.4 million next season.

Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11223
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Postby kray28 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Totally agree with Cubes on this one.

I wish neither Kobe or Pau were playing in the Olympics.

Pau especially, since two years ago, he basically lost half a season to a broken foot suffered while playing for Spain.

And I said the same thing last year about Kobe....he's the franchise.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21207
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:04 pm

I'm still not convinced Kobe will play because every time he does something happens

2000- He declined

2004- Colorado

2008-?
Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11223
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Postby nameant on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:15 pm

He might have a point about the money (making money off the team) but tell the players it's not about representing their country. There are players on team USA that I can't stand but I cheer them like I would my favorite players b/c I know they are playing for my country. May not mean much to Mark, maybe he's the one thinking too much about the money.
User avatar
nameant

 
Posts: 25329
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:43 pm

nameant wrote:He might have a point about the money (making money off the team) but tell the players it's not about representing their country. There are players on team USA that I can't stand but I cheer them like I would my favorite players b/c I know they are playing for my country. May not mean much to Mark, maybe he's the one thinking too much about the money.



He's an owner if something happened to Dirk or Kidd he's screwed. He's invested a lot of $$$ in these players to take care of themselves. What if something were to happen then what?
Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11223
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Postby stevenwithaV on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:59 pm

From a business standpoint, I agree. A lot of money goes into these players.

However...

Though I'm not going to say that the Olympic basketball represents our country, I do have a certain sense of pride in American basketball. After the few missteps that USA basketball has made, I very much want to see our best team out there re-establishing our superiority. So I don't mind so much seeing Kobe out there.
User avatar
stevenwithaV

 
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: CA

Postby nameant on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:36 pm

Basketball Fan wrote:
nameant wrote:He might have a point about the money (making money off the team) but tell the players it's not about representing their country. There are players on team USA that I can't stand but I cheer them like I would my favorite players b/c I know they are playing for my country. May not mean much to Mark, maybe he's the one thinking too much about the money.



He's an owner if something happened to Dirk or Kidd he's screwed. He's invested a lot of $$$ in these players to take care of themselves. What if something were to happen then what?


It could happen in the preseason or at any point in the season as well. Hell they can get injured practicing in the offseason. There's always a risk. These guys are loaded. You take a chance on any player when you sign them to big contracts or pay them big money. They can get hurt at any time. There's not a good time for them to get hurt. Whether it's in the summer playing for team USA or deep in the playoffs. If they're hurt in the playoffs I doubt an owner will say, "It's okay. At least they got hurt while they were playing for my team. I feel better now." Either way it sucks and it's not something you can control.
User avatar
nameant

 
Posts: 25329
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Postby Mando323 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:53 pm

they wont have to play, Najera is bringing it home :man10:
User avatar
Mando323

 
Posts: 4815
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:07 pm
Location: Sur Central Los Angeles

Postby Booster on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:57 am

Basketball Fan wrote:I'm still not convinced Kobe will play because every time he does something happens

2000- He declined

2004- Colorado

2008-?


Nothing's stopping Kobe from playing this year.

The dude's been psyched about it for over a year now. I remember him smiling and talking about it on that Jimmy Kimmel interview he did last summer during the trade speculations.
User avatar
Booster

 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:17 pm

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:00 am

Booster wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:I'm still not convinced Kobe will play because every time he does something happens

2000- He declined

2004- Colorado

2008-?


Nothing's stopping Kobe from playing this year.

The dude's been psyched about it for over a year now. I remember him smiling and talking about it on that Jimmy Kimmel interview he did last summer during the trade speculations.




For now but still I am not entirely convinced he'll play for Team USA.
Basketball Fan

 
Posts: 11223
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:45 am

Postby Iceberg Slim on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:07 pm

Quite honestly, the players shouldn't care about the money in this situation. This is about representing your country. I believe Cuban says these things because he knows the game has changed. Its REALLY about money now. Before it wasn't. The big dogs still made bread. But nothing like now.

For guys like Jordan, Bird, Magic, Barkley, and Ewing, they wanted to win gold. They had a certain pride about the game back then, in my opinion. Now players don't want to be bothered. Hell, they won't even join the Dunk Contest anymore. With all that said, if you pay the players more just to compete in events like this, the ideals have totally reversed and Cuban would 100% right. It is all about green.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Image
User avatar
Iceberg Slim

 
Posts: 4960
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:38 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Cuban questions Olympic Basketball Model

Postby Satan on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:03 pm

"I hate the fact that we lie to ourselves and pretend this is about representing country," Cuban said. "It's not. It's about money."


QFT. The Olympics are just another money grab with corporate sponsors selling patriotism.
Last edited by Satan on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
User avatar
Satan

 
Posts: 20768
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:23 pm
Location: Fist in the air in the land of hypocricy.

Postby netlordr23 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:17 pm

And Marc Cuban is also thinking about money. A lot of it.
User avatar
netlordr23

 
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:45 am
Location: Alicante (Spain)


Return to Team USA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.