Game 4: Sat. 8/16 - USA vs Spain- Predictions/Comments

Postby Weezy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:54 am

I'm watching the game in the 1st Q right now and man Spain is a bunch of floppers. This is the worst flopping I've seen yet, but I love how they don't fall for it most of the time, that one time they even called an offensive foul when a guy tried to use LeBron's arm to fake a foul. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby OC Lakerfan on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:09 am

Another reason why Spain would've want to win today and give it their all, seedings.

Group A has:
Lithuania
Argentina
Australia
Croatia
Iran

Group B has:
US
Spain
Greece
China
Germany
Angola

In the quarterfinals the #1 ranked team in group B would play the #4 ranked team (same with Group A1 vs Group B4). If I were Spain, I'd rather play Australia or Russia in the first round and have an easier semi-finals. If you are ranked two in group B you'll have to play the #1 seeded team in Group A in the semi-finals (assuming they don't lose in the quarters vs the #4 ranked team in group B).

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/oly ... cRank.html
"If I was Kobe," AI continues, "I'd have begged Shaq to come back, and if I was Shaq, I would've begged Kobe to come back. Ego ain't going to get you nothin' except an early exit."
OC Lakerfan

Postby Weezy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:22 am

What happened to the loose foul calling and rough play? All this game is is foul after foul after foul. That 3rd foul on Kobe was BS, he didn't do jack.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:24 am

Weezy wrote:What happened to the loose foul calling and rough play? All this game is is foul after foul after foul. That 3rd foul on Kobe was BS, he didn't do jack.

International refs. Enough said.

LOL, what was that on the free throw line, Kobe?
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:26 am

We're tearing their zone apart, bunch of flopping, zone playing losers. Screw Rudy Fernandez, telling the ref to give LeBron a tech, what a baby, shut the heck up.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:35 am

Ahahahaha Rudy Fernandez just got stripped going up for a shot and hit the ground hard, what goes around comes around flopper. I LOVE that they don't call that crap just because he hit the ground, it was all ball, then Kobe comes down and stuffs it on Marc Gasol who falls down. :man10:

Kobe's fired up, talking all kinds of trash to Marc Gasol on the ft line, causing the Navarro turnover, Anthony for 3!!! We're running away with it now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:43 am

Man, the US made Spain look like Angola. Way too easy.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:55 am

two0one7 wrote:Man, the US made Spain look like Angola. Way too easy.

I loved it, I wanted to see a beatdown. Wade was yet again amazing, that one dunk that was like a half windmill was sick, and then he swatted some guy HARD from behind, great stuff.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LDR on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Wow, that was some seriously horrible officating. Even for FIBA refs.
LDR

Postby jlkr on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:14 pm

Best all round game by the US so far. Nothing to criticize. If there were a few bum calls (or non-calls) by the refs, so what. The team brought it on defense (7 steals in the first quarter alone), they broke Spain's zone with their 3pt shooting. After that, Spain was not competitive.

If they play again in the Final, I expect a closer game as Spain will fight harder and with everything they've got.
jlkr

Postby revgen on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Well, it's back to boring games again.

Greece at least put up a fight for awhile.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:39 pm

two0one7 wrote:International refs. Enough said.

And I thought NBA refs were bad.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Furious Laker on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:56 pm

E.T Gasol wrote:
bumrusherer wrote:E.T Gasol....Are you enjoying the game??

No, i like european style, sorry. I do not like to see players running and make a dunk in 4 of 5 plays, but is my opinion.

It's called high percentage shots. Believe me if the European teams can do that they would. They just don't have nearly the same athleticism the USA has.

Why would anyone want to take a jump shot over a dunk?? You can have 30 3 point attempts per game while I'll take 30 dunk attempts.
Furious Laker

Postby giggycel on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:18 pm

anyone know where i can watch this game online?
giggycel

Postby Legendary on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Weezy wrote:We're tearing their zone apart, bunch of flopping, zone playing losers. Screw Rudy Fernandez, telling the ref to give LeBron a tech, what a baby, shut the heck up.

:man10: :man10: :man10:

You sound like me earlier in this thread. I kept complaining about all the damn flopping they were doing, but I assumed no one else here saw the same thing because I was the only one talking about it.

Glad to know I'm not COMPLETELY blind.

If that's Euro style ball....they can keep it. Fallin', floppin' and stumbling all over the place.....they ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Legendary

Postby d33pzone on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:22 pm

I wanted to see a competitive game, was kind of a letdown, even though I enjoyed watching the team usa play so well. I think some people like, I don't know, Chris Sheridan, are at fault for making it seem like Spain is the supreme basketball superpower. ha.
d33pzone

Postby jimbo327 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:14 pm

So what's the concensus on Rubio? The kid is pretty good.

He's still young though, I think 2 more years, and he becomes a very good player. Needs a jumpshot though.

I like how he is very stable with the ball, and can already run a team offense.

He would look good in Purple and Gold. And the name is straight up, hollywood pron staresque.
jimbo327

Postby jlkr on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:43 pm

Rubio is already pretty good at the offensive end, very good instincts and a bit of flair for the position. He may be 2 years away from being good enough at that end of the floor for the NBA. But defensively, he was getting burned routinely by Chris Paul and Deron Williams. On the other hand, those two along with Tony Parker are the best young PGs on the planet, they're gonna burn everyone. I think if Rubio continues to improve that he will become the best PG in Europe in a few years and maybe a top 10 pick in the NBA draft if he comes out at 19 years old (that would be the 2010 draft).

And good gosh, I love that name....
jlkr

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:55 pm

I see great composure from Rubio, he played better than Calderon, Navarro or that chucker whose name escapes me..that pass to Fernandez was inspired..

As for the game, my prediction came true of US blasting Spain in the early quarters :mhihi: unfortunately for Spain they got blasted a lot more later..

Hopefully they face each other again in the gold medal game..
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby OCHO on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:02 am

Weezy wrote:What happened to the loose foul calling and rough play? All this game is is foul after foul after foul. That 3rd foul on Kobe was BS, he didn't do jack.

man i think kobe running thru pau's screen was a clear foul :man9:

loved the message sent to pau as well! :jam2:
It's the length of one day.. One half.. One shot clock.. This number is my promise, to dominate every moment..
OCHO

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:14 am

absolute THRASHING....loved every second of it...i actually watched the game in MALAYSIA and there were some ppl from spain watching the game too....man we were going NUTS chanting USA every time they got a sick dunk or a sick block....it feels good to see USA KILL teams like the old days....lets keep it going tho....
FabFourLakers

Postby bystander on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 am

I'm not talking about the Spain game here, be clear.

But you guys stop blaming the refs about non-calls. It's FIBA rules. They let americans do some things other countries can't. And if they call every traveling US does ... i mean, in an early pre-olympic game there's a video in youtube which counts dozens and dozens of travelings. That's a TO per traveling. With your extra-step, sure US players look like Bolt. Also they do did several illegal screens in the tournament, ...

FIBA rules guys, and US plays half game with that half game with NBA rules, since ever.

So let the refs alone.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Weezy on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:11 pm

bystander wrote:I'm not talking about the Spain game here, be clear.

But you guys stop blaming the refs about non-calls. It's FIBA rules. They let americans do some things other countries can't. And if they call every traveling US does ... i mean, in an early pre-olympic game there's a video in youtube which counts dozens and dozens of travelings. That's a TO per traveling. With your extra-step, sure US players look like Bolt. Also they do did several illegal screens in the tournament, ...

FIBA rules guys, and US plays half game with that half game with NBA rules, since ever.

So let the refs alone.

Who's complaining about non-calls? I'm complaining about called calls, WAY too many of them. Yesterday's game was a parade to the free throw line, Kobe couldn't even touch his man without being called for a foul and the game before that Howard was called the same way. First they tell the players that the international game is rough and you can touch guys on the perimeter, but then they start calling touch fouls like in the NBA, it was lame. I'm tired of the traveling complaints took, the Spanish team and every team gets away with traveling as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:55 pm

bystander wrote:I'm not talking about the Spain game here, be clear.

So let the refs alone.

I'm sorry but WTF are you talking about? It is widely known that FIBA officiating is the worst officiating in the history of basketball officiating. If they called the three thousand moving picks, screens and shoves that the FIBA teams get awasy with on the Americans the games would be over in 10 minutes because all the other team would have fouled out.

The Refs suck but no one has been complaining about it. I suppose you like inconsistant officiating where a team can't even adapt to the officiating. I suppose watching half of the PG's in this tournament carry the ball 50 times a game with no calls should be ignored. Lets not forget the "I am not planted" defensive charges the other teams are getting on the Americans. You can count atleast 6 of those a game. Oh, and how about the "let me grab the big centers arm and hold on for dear life and then flop" play that seems to keep D. Howard out of the games. Did I forget to mention the "they are on a break let me clothesline the man with the ball" play that is often thrown out there for good measure.

Yeah you are right we should give the refs a break. :bang:
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:47 pm

In retrospect, I don't see any travel, its just blinding speed..I was not really too sure of USA's chances before the games because I thought they were too small but now I understand why they put the King at PF...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

PreviousNext

Return to Team USA