Game 4: Sat. 8/16 - USA vs Spain- Predictions/Comments

Game 4: Sat. 8/16 - USA vs Spain- Predictions/Comments

Postby Ras Algethi on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:27 pm

10am, EST / PST (delayed in the West). NBC

The game we've all been waiting for. Should be a good one.
Last edited by Ras Algethi on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Neville on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 pm

I'll go out on a limb and predict a comfortable 20 point win. We will be so focused for this game, there will be no complacency. Spain looked woeful against China and will probably be better, but will not be good enough.

I predict some major ownage tomorrow and a good dose of humble pie for our overconfident Spanish friends on this forum. Payback's a b!tch.
Neville

Postby LDR on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Yes! It's not at 5AM! :beer:

USA wins by 12, but in a comfortable fashion. Melo is player of the game.
LDR

Postby d33pzone on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:28 pm

At least a 15 point win. When Americans play suffocating, smart defense like this morning, they look unbeatable.
d33pzone

Postby LakerEricR on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:29 pm

This game will be tough on Laker fans hearts.

USA 100
Spain 90

Kobe =20
Pau= 25

Pau is going to have to settle for the silver.
CL's resident Carolina Panther fan
Zune & Xbox Live ID:SBDuckfan

LakerEricR

Postby GinoDB on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:32 pm

LakerEricR wrote:This game will be tough on Laker fans hearts.

USA 100
Spain 90

Kobe =20
Pau= 25

Pau is going to have to settle for the silver.

not gonna be tough for me, Id LOL if Kobe dunked on Gasol.
GinoDB

Postby E.T Gasol on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Both teams already are classified as 1 and 2 of the group. I think we will see good basketball but not 100% of them, Spain for example will not show all their tactics, defenses, attacks etc .. in a game where you do not play anything.
I do not think this game was like a possible final between the two teams.

Good Luck
E.T Gasol

Postby basketboy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:18 pm

E.T Gasol wrote:Both teams already are classified as 1 and 2 of the group. I think we will see good basketball but not 100% of them, Spain for example will not show all their tactics, defenses, attacks etc .. in a game where you do not play anything.

Good Luck

are you saying that spain isnt going to try their hardest since its not a medal game?
basketboy

Postby E.T Gasol on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:24 pm

basketboy wrote:
E.T Gasol wrote:Both teams already are classified as 1 and 2 of the group. I think we will see good basketball but not 100% of them, Spain for example will not show all their tactics, defenses, attacks etc .. in a game where you do not play anything.

Good Luck

are you saying that spain isnt going to try their hardest since its not a medal game?

No, Spain tried to win. what I am saying is that they do not show all his cards thinking of a possible final, if the coach thinks that to win a USA should be attacking Howard (is only one example) or that the attack U.S.A can not attack a zone 3-2 not what you will do in this game. USA is the favorite for gold, if you put everything into practice against them in this match in the finals will have nothing to do because you studied the game open.

To win a USA should be surprising as Greece did in Japan. For me, that Spain would not be good win on Saturday (me happy, do not refuse), best win of U.S.A 10/20 and points us in the final, entrusted USA and Spain with changing his game.
E.T Gasol

Postby LDR on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:39 am

I think a lot of fans are going to be surprised by Rudy Fernandez and Rubio.
LDR

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:29 am

Rubio is amazing...I wanna see him against dwade..
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Kobe&Pau_RuleZ on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:46 am

VAMOS ESPAÑA!!

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Kobe&Pau_RuleZ

Postby shehatesme on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:10 am

LET'S GO US. EFF THE RACIST BASTARDS! :mhihi: JK. :mhihi:

US wins by around 20 points. :jam2:
United, Man united,
We’re the boys in red and we're on our way to Wembley!
Wembley, Wembley,
We're the famous Man united and we're going to Wembley,
Wembley, Wembley,
We're the famous Man united and we're going to Wembley
shehatesme

Postby Kobe&Pau_RuleZ on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:21 am

Kobe&Pau_RuleZ

Postby scissors on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:02 am

kobe dunks on pau.

usa by 25
scissors

Postby jlkr on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:28 am

Rubio isn't NBA ready yet, but he is already very talented. He might be better than any 17 year old PG in the US. Wasn't Brandon Jennings the top high school PG in the US? I'd like to see them face off against each other, but don't know if we'll see that since Rubio plays in Spain while Jennings signed with an Italian team. If Rubio puts his name in the draft at 19, he should be a top 10 pick.

I'm also quite impressed with Rudy Fernandez. The Blazers' roster is crowded with good young players, yet I believe Rudy will see time on the floor for them.

Overall though, Spain hasn't been that great in the Olympics tournament so far, just good enough to win. I think they'll let the US make its point, then try to get the US back if they face each other in the medal rounds.
jlkr

Postby leakbrewergator on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:11 pm

Score:

USA -98
Spain -86

Racist gestures

USA -0
Spain -15

Miami ThreeTARDS- Duh Wayne 'Fraid, Piss Posh, LeBrat Shames
leakbrewergator

Postby fromwaydowntown on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:02 pm

The US is clearly the favorite, there is no doubt in my mind about it. The thing is these two teams would only meet again in the final game, should they both qualify. Aito Garcia Reneses, Spain's coach, and one of the best coaches in the world ( I asume 99.99% of Americans don't know who he is) is not obsesed with winning this game. He will try, but will certainly not force the machine.

The keys of the game:

- Turnovers. The US has lived off turnovers forced to oponents, so it will be crucial to keep this number down. Calderon will have to prove he is one of the best in the low TO department.

- Concentration. All oponents seem to not be able to keep the intensity, especially on defense, during the whole game. It is important for spain to be in the game not to "let go" should the US get a quick 10 point advantage. If they do the game is over.

- Fouls. Howard and Bosh are very important to this team. Get them loaded and the lane may open up for Spain. Bosh has really surprised me as he has been very dominant and has played very seriously. Fouls on Pau will also be crucial, as he will be the main reference on ofense in this game. The good thing is that in two of the three games he has played just over 20 minutes and in the first game he did not even start.

- Officiating. Even though the US is heads above the rest, they have also been clearly favored by the refs, getting away with a good share of no calls in reach-in fouls and travellings (when the players initiates the motion) in every game since the preparation games. I don't think this game will be an exception.

I say the final score will be the US by 10/15 points with a possibility of upset of 15%.
fromwaydowntown

Postby Gabrich on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:06 pm

A lot of fans here are taking this game is if team USA was facing Germany or China. I don't think Spain is winning this, but I'm conviced the aforementioned fans don't have any idea of what they're in for.

Also, whoever thinks he's cooler by making comments regarding racism, is just exposing his own ignorance. I realize racism is a BIG issue in the States and so there is always someone ready to press the Racism Alarm. But in some other places, it's not (there's always the occasional moron, and here they like to group at soccer matches and pretend they're a lot); and things are done in a more innocent way, not trying to find a racist innuendo behind everything. Go check what the Chinese olympic comitee had to say; they loved the photo and backed the Spanish federation 100%. So please cut the crap about this matter already. You're just wrong.

Back on topic, though, I don't think Spain will lose by more than 10. Pau will be motivated to play against his usual NBA counterparts (and especially teammate) and will put up a good show. So will Rudy. From the USA side, Kobe and Lebron will do their thing.
Gabrich

Postby AndrewB17 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:23 pm

The game is at 10 AM PST, is that live?
"A-Train" - "Hopefully I can get in there and help them win another championship,"
Looking forward to a great year of basketball next year.
AndrewB17

Postby eNlight on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:24 pm

i hope rubio gets torn alive.
eNlight

Postby jlkr on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:22 pm

AndrewB17 wrote:The game is at 10 AM PST, is that live?

No. But I'm wondering if it will be available live on the basketball channel at 7am or is NBC going to preempt that?
jlkr

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:10 pm

I want to see Ricky Rubio as well. I've seen a lot of youtube footages. I'm not really that impressed, it looks just like fundamental plays with a little flair. I hope he doesn't come over too soon, he doesn't look ready for the NBA. In a couple years, he might be. I see a little of Nash in him.
jimbo327

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:44 pm

I love Pau to have a great game..he needs it with all this fiasco...I hope he owns Howard and Bosh..in other words give out some serious racist beatdown :man9:

On the other hand, I hope Kobe scores 50..don't get burn by a teenager and show who the man is :bow:

My prediction..US blast Spain early but it will lose the lead..Its gonna depend on who gets the last possession..Kobe or Calderon.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Neville on Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:57 pm

I see our Spanish friends are getting the excuses in early. You guys are probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the world, but this US team is hungry and focused and has been planning this for 3 years and there is a fair gap between us and you. No bragging, just fact. The players that are here want to be here and have put the time and effort in.

Sorry amigos, I can't see any other result. Espana are going to get wtfpwned. They will be all over Gasol (both of them). Kobe will be so up for this game it won't be funny. They will want to shock and awe and intimidate this team and grind them into the dust.
Neville

Next

Return to Team USA