Game 1: Sun. 8/10 - USA vs China - Predictions/Comments

Postby westcoast21 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:59 am

E.T Gasol wrote:Simply, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Howard, Wade etc etc ... they do traveling in every play or counterattack with FIBA rules, they give two steps of more in every play.

Im sorry but isnt traveling 3 or more steps? I think thats where your mistaken .
westcoast21

Postby halekulani on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:59 am

:man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6:
halekulani

Postby bumrusherer on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:01 am

Complaining about travels?

I think its past your bed time, buddy.
bumrusherer

Postby KRC18 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:02 am

"We the best! Know that, don’t think it, know it! Its our turn! It's our championship! Our season! Lets go out here and make a statement! Its our turn now! Let's go!"

-Kobe Bryant
KRC18

Postby trodgers on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:03 am

westcoast21 wrote:
E.T Gasol wrote:Simply, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Howard, Wade etc etc ... they do traveling in every play or counterattack with FIBA rules, they give two steps of more in every play.

Im sorry but isnt traveling 3 or more steps? I think thats where your mistaken .

You get 1.5 steps.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Kronz on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:08 am

Box score is up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijin ... KZIQ8Sv5V4

edit: lol I'm late
Last edited by Kronz on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kronz's All-Favorite Team
PG Kenny Anderson - Nets
SG Latrell Sprewell - Warriors
SF Kobe Bryant - Lakers
PF Charles Barkley - Suns
C Hakeem Olajuwon - Rockets
Bench: Penny Hardaway (PG - Magic), Eddie Jones (SG - Lakers), Gilbert Arenas (PG/SG - Wizards), Shawn Kemp (PF - Sonics), Chris Mullin (SF - Warriors), David Robinson (C - Spurs), Dominique Wilkins (SF - Hawks), Dennis Rodman (PF - Bulls)
Kronz

Postby Vigen on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:08 am

KRC18 wrote:BOX SCORE

WADE :man4: :man4: :man4:

Vigen

Postby nbafan on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:09 am

league and future of basketball is in good hands with LeBron..

but, LOL at the guy in the NBC studio saying LeBron is option 1 for post-game interview throughout the olympics.. what agenda with coca cola sponsoring basketball and LeBron as the spokesperson for them..

other thoughts..

LeBron, Wade and Melo need to stop gambling.. led to wide open three point shots.. while LeBron got the highlight blocks because of it, it really isn't good strategy overall.. we'll see when they face better teams.

Kobe is probably shooting the worst % on this team including exhibition.. it's pretty pathetic when you think about the type of players around him.. he never should be taking contested threes.. it's crazy that a talent like him has a bad shot selection no matter where he plays.

Howard is pretty limited on offense.
nbafan

Postby Steve on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:15 am

First of all, you get two steps, have you guys ever played basketball?

It was a good win, China came out kind of strong with some intensity, hit some 3s. By the time the 2nd half came, they had no legs, no depth and it was relatively easy pickings(is that the expression?) on defense, a little full court press and that was game.
Steve

Postby E.T Gasol on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:17 am

westcoast21 wrote:

No. The fiba rules is different a nba rules, because of it the american players do steps every time. Only you have to read forums of European basketball to see the people infuriated with the treatment to favor for USA

http://blogs.diariovasco.com/index.php/ ... normas_nba.

And is not USA to hate, I want a final USA - Spain.
E.T Gasol

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:21 am

Team USA was nothing special...

and everybody knew that China is garbage. Just the fact that they did hang around in the first half was disgusting.

and last but not least...if team USA doesn't stop playing intelligent team basketball, they will get burned by spain...thats a bold statement. They are absolutely clueless in half court sets and they have no one who scores with his back to the basket.

Boozer is meh....Howard can't do anything but dunk and Bosh is soft. And their perimeter players can't make a jumpshot if their life depended on it (except Redd and Deron).

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby nbafan on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:28 am

Kobe is probably their best back to the basket player.. Howard/Bosh won't do anything.. but with the trapezoid paint and zone defense, he won't be able to finish.. it's really about ball movement and player movement once it gets into the post.. hopefully he gets a chance there to attract defense.. better than anything he would be able to do on the three point line..
nbafan

Postby Kenrae on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 am

E.T Gasol wrote:
westcoast21 wrote:

No. The fiba rules is different a nba rules, because of it the american players do steps every time. Only you have to read forums of European basketball to see the people infuriated with the treatment to favor for USA

http://blogs.diariovasco.com/index.php/ ... normas_nba.

And is not USA to hate, I want a final USA - Spain.

Under FIBA rules you can't make a step before bouncing the ball. I'd change that rule, but that's the way it is, and that's how the refs should call it.
Kenrae

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:00 am

Game time baby! Where are all the west coast people?
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:04 am

Haha, NBA's back on NBC with the theme song.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby TWO3 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:09 am

two0one7 wrote:Haha, NBA's back on NBC with the theme song.

I was just going to make a post about this, lol :man4: :jam2: :jam2:
TWO3

Postby karacha on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 am

Frankly, I was not impressed. China is a weak team with absolutely no depth.

Wade scored a lot, was perfect from the floor.... but those were all dunks.

Howard is a great center, but he only dunks the ball. This might be an issue against better teams.

The offense does not look that great, except for some nice individual plays, alley-oops etc. It just does not flow naturally. Three-pt shooting is nothing special.
Defense was terrible in the first quarter, and part of the second. USA is giving up too many open looks.

Again, this is good, don't get me wrong, but if they continue like this, it won't be enough for the gold medal. Again, someone is going to beat them: Spain, Argentina, Croatia, Lithuania... pick one. You can't just rely on athleticism and quickness, on the "push the ball and dunk" strategy. What USA needs is discipline, some good set offense and better long range shooting.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:17 am

Haha, Kobe guarding Yue.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:23 am

Great block by Bron.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:32 am

I guess everyone here lives in the East coast or woke up at 7am?
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby OCLakersFan247 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:34 am

i like sun yue
"expose foes with hocus pocus flows, they froze, now suckas idealize my chosen blows"-2pac

"Check the Franck Mueller...the color of the Lakers"-Clipse
OCLakersFan247

Postby trodgers on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:41 am

Steve wrote:First of all, you get two steps, have you guys ever played basketball?

What...with FIBA or NBA rules? Don't come in here with that attitude. It's absolutely ridiculous. And wrong.

NBA Rules:
Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.

(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.
f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.

It's the one step that LANDS and another. That's 1.5.

FIBA rules is mostly the same, but your first foot to touch the floor is always the pivot foot.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:42 am

two0one7 wrote:I guess everyone here lives in the East coast or woke up at 7am?

One of those two things, yes. It was 9:15 here, central time. Most people prefer to watch it live.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby OCLakersFan247 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 am

sun yue is gonna be a great addition to teh lakers...pure shooter
"expose foes with hocus pocus flows, they froze, now suckas idealize my chosen blows"-2pac

"Check the Franck Mueller...the color of the Lakers"-Clipse
OCLakersFan247

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 am

Hey Sun Yue looks pretty decent so far.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Team USA