Game 2: Tue. 8/12 - USA vs Angola - Predictions/Comments

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:20 am

Kobe just isn't used to taking shots without a hand in his face.. It sounds weird but when you don't see any uncontested shots at all in the NBA, being wide open all the time can throw off your rhythm off.

On the bright side, this is where him being the hardest working player in the league comes into play.. He WILL work on this & it will show in his game, 100% for sure
LakersN4

Postby GNC on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:02 am

Lakers4Eva wrote:I just dont think that Kobe is a great International player.
Dont get me wrong, he is by far the best player in the NBA but International ball is a bit different.

?? he was doing just fine in the pre olympic games and he was fine last year. after two subpar games you are going to conclude this??

let him be. honestly just let him.
GNC

Postby D.B. Cooper on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 am

Wow,

Kobe chucking shot's up, especially 3's. 0-8 from beyond. :disagree:
D.B. Cooper

Postby plkl on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:43 am

chris paul being mistaken for freddy adu:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/sailing/phot ... 00900.html

:man10:
plkl

Postby Lakers4Eva on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:20 am

aansari wrote:
Lakers4Eva wrote:I just dont think that Kobe is a great International player.
Dont get me wrong, he is by far the best player in the NBA but International ball is a bit different.

?? he was doing just fine in the pre olympic games and he was fine last year. after two subpar games you are going to conclude this??

let him be. honestly just let him.

These are actual Olympic games tho, its a whole different monster.
"No need to act a fool in public
'Cause when you, ego trip you just lose your luggage"

Phonte (of Little Brother)
Lakers4Eva

Postby Weezy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 am

Just saw the game. First, let me say I'm continuing to be extremely impressed by LeBron James. I've loved the way he plays since he came in, his passing that he almost seems to do on instinct, the way he glides, he's incredible. Some of those dunks and layups he made today I just shook my head in amazement.

As for the game, I wasn't impressed. The US is still messing around and not taking it fully serious. If they ran the game and offense like a real team, like a team in the NBA it'd be better, but guys are STILL going 1 on 1, still doing fancy moves and passes for flash over substance. Kobe shooting 0-8 from 3, that's just unacceptable. If you can't make a 3 after 4 or so of them, just stop shooting, this isn't some pick up game where you can just jack it up and shoot yourself out of it, respect your teammates and stop jacking up shots. The second Paul and Williams (and Wade) came in and joined LeBron the passing got crisp and the team looked great, our starting lineup got outdone today.

This team's not a lock for gold from what I'm seeing, far from perfect. And Kobe needs to find it shot, or stop jacking it up.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:02 pm

It's Kobe's fault. If USA loses, it's because of him and his selfish ways. He should stop forcing it. We're all sick of it. Not only that, he'll refuse to shoot in the finals, and USA will lose again! He does this sometimes.

:mhihi:

Seriously now, his job is to be the defensive stopper, and that's what he should be focusing on. Let Wade and Bron score, they can do that well. I think Americans are not taking this seriously, and - once again - they might be sorry at the end. I don't think they will be this time, but... you never know. It just doesn't look like they are giving it all on the court to me. I enjoyed other games more: Lithuania-Argentina, Germany-Greece, Croatia-Russia. All great games.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby KRC18 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:17 pm

plkl wrote:chris paul being mistaken for freddy adu:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/sailing/phot ... 00900.html

:man10:

:man10: :man10:

"We the best! Know that, don’t think it, know it! Its our turn! It's our championship! Our season! Lets go out here and make a statement! Its our turn now! Let's go!"

-Kobe Bryant
KRC18

Postby Alleyhoops on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:52 pm

I was quite impressed with Morias. He can really handle the ball for his size and looked good against USA's pressure defense. Also quick for his size with some hops and definite skills. Beautiful stroke and gets his shot off quickly. Excellent intensity and composure. He also made a number of good defensive plays. Very very solid. He looked like he belonged out there with the USA players.

I believe he's 29? Anyone know if he's ever been on an NBA summer league team?
Alleyhoops

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:01 pm

Yes, Kobe is open on most of those 3s but he's got to stop settling for them. He's got to attack the basket if his shot isn't falling.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakers4Eva on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:06 pm

it's not just kobes shot that's a problem. He also looks old and slow on offense, he can't go by the defenders with ease like he does in the NBA. On the other hand, his D looks great, it's just the O that I'm concerned about.

Lakers4Eva

Postby havoc33 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Kobe ain't 20 anymore, and it certainly shows. Just watch the difference in speed when he tries to go by his defender and that of Lebron James. And he's missing three's like I've never seen him do before. I get it Kobe, you're a volume shooter, but this is the Olympics, not you trying to rescue the Lakers from 20 down. MIght wanna start considering taking it to the hole? I guess Kobe's shot selection will forever be questionable.
havoc33

Postby scissors on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:49 pm

maybe kobe needs a challenge. usa has had easy games so far. if the other team poses a threat then kobe will step up. games agains china and angola was like a practice game.
scissors

Postby halekulani on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:17 pm

Lakers4Eva wrote:it's not just kobes shot that's a problem. He also looks old and slow on offense, he can't go by the defenders with ease like he does in the NBA. On the other hand, his D looks great, it's just the O that I'm concerned about.

it's hard to get by the defense when there's no such thing as illegal defense in fiba. they just stack all their players in the giant trapezoid.
halekulani

Postby Lakers4Eva on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:04 pm

wade and lebron don't seem to have any trouble getting by their man/men

Lakers4Eva

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Why did I know I would see these types of post after that game.

Kobe was trying to find his stroke in what turned out to be a practice game for the US. I mean do any of you think coach K would leave Boozer in the game to get raped over and over again? NO. Kobe was taking outside shots because his shot is off in a blowout which he probably knew he wouldn't see much more playing time (which he would have been right).

Oh and yes Wade and Bron don't have any trouble getting by there men especially Wade who gets more single coverage than any other US player. I suppose no one notices the packing in they do on Kobe every time he gets the ball. Bron has been using his size with great ease and he should be getting a lot of credit for his play. Has anyone realized that his increased block shots are coming off of help defense? Bron has no one to gaurd so he is basically playing a bit of a rover alla Kobe. The whole team needs to settle down and stroke that outside shot especially when these teams pack it in and zone it up.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Magic2Kareem2Chick on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:44 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Why did I know I would see these types of post after that game.

Kobe was trying to find his stroke in what turned out to be a practice game for the US. I mean do any of you think coach K would leave Boozer in the game to get raped over and over again? NO. Kobe was taking outside shots because his shot is off in a blowout which he probably knew he wouldn't see much more playing time (which he would have been right).

Oh and yes Wade and Bron don't have any trouble getting by there men especially Wade who gets more single coverage than any other US player. I suppose no one notices the packing in they do on Kobe every time he gets the ball. Bron has been using his size with great ease and he should be getting a lot of credit for his play. Has anyone realized that his increased block shots are coming off of help defense? Bron has no one to gaurd so he is basically playing a bit of a rover alla Kobe. The whole team needs to settle down and stroke that outside shot especially when these teams pack it in and zone it up.

....Or Wade and Bron are just better at blowing by their defender and attacking the rim?
Magic2Kareem2Chick

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Magic2Kareem2Chick wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:Why did I know I would see these types of post after that game.

....Or Wade and Bron are just better at blowing by their defender and attacking the rim?

If you wish I'll play this game.

Wade has a much, much quicker first step than Kobe and Bron for that matter. I was not arguing that but I suppose it would be to complicated to pay enough attention to the fact that Wade is usually ISO'd off the wings. As for Bron I wouldn't say that he is quicker on his first step than Kobe I would say he is much much stronger and is not as affected by contact as Kobe. Again, I suppose it is to much to see the players as just players instead of the normal Kobe hate, Bron hate or Wade hate. I would say very few players finish strong at the rim like Bron as well. Kobe is neither quicker than Wade on his first step nor stronger than Bron overall are at finishing with power. Even so neither of them are Kobe with overall playmaking ability but thats my opinion.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby supacrazy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:27 pm

I think this is just an indication, and as most people alraedy know.. Wade and Lebron drive to the basket alot more than Kobe. Kobe has a much better jumpshots than these two, but as the result, he is more of a jumpshot first type of a player as oppose to Lebron and Wade, they would look for penetration as first option. And we all know that a layup is a much higher % shot than a jumpshot
supacrazy

Postby jlkr on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:41 pm

The way I look at it, Kobe has been the glue of this team along with Lebron. Wade is the slick gunslinger who comes off the bench to give instant offense.

Look at the usual rotations so far, the first 3 guys off the bench are usually Bosh, Wade and either Paul or Williams. Kobe and Lebron are almost always the ones who stay in the game to play a few more minutes with the subs. Then they are subbed out. Coach K makes sure that everyone on the team has the chance to play with those two. Which makes me believe Coach K when he says that Kobe and Lebron are his main men and he relies on these two to run the team.

This was a practice game, essentially. Angola can't hold the Americans' jocks, they might have two players who could play in Europe and that is about it. But it was a bit disturbing to see Kobe missing so much from the arc. Can't have that against the Greeks or the Spanish teams.
jlkr

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:00 pm

scissors wrote:maybe kobe needs a challenge.

I don't think so...I think he needs a jumpshot for now.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby LDR on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:43 am

^Yeah, Kobe forgot his jumper in the States.
LDR

Postby _Kobe on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:31 am

2 many 3 point shoots from Kobe, he must score from inside and should be good.

and Im waitin for Howard domination
Basketball MMORPG, great game:

www.cyberdunk.com?ref=108153
_Kobe

Postby KB24 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:41 pm

_Kobe wrote:2 many 3 point shoots from Kobe, he must score from inside and should be good.

and Im waitin for Howard domination

:man10: :man10: :man10:

good luck with that on international stage...I'm also still waiting for Kwame domination in the NBA...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby d33pzone on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:15 pm

karacha wrote:It's Kobe's fault. If USA loses, it's because of him and his selfish ways. He should stop forcing it. We're all sick of it. Not only that, he'll refuse to shoot in the finals, and USA will lose again! He does this sometimes.

:mhihi:

I read the whole thread over and found posts that didn't show anybody saying these things. You laid on the sarcasm a little thick there. Nobody said Kobe was selfish, nobody said he won't shoot in the finals.
d33pzone

PreviousNext

Return to Team USA