Game 1: USA-France

Re: Game 1: USA-France

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:21 am

wow I finally finished watching the game... Can we get rid of the announcers?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:35 am

karacha wrote:I like this USA offense: dribble the ball. See if you can chuck it; if not, turn around like a madman and pass it to another random guy camping at the 3-pt line who will dribble and shoot if possible, in a strictly 1-on-1 fashion. Repeat.

Yes, it's still enough for a 20+ point lead, but man... it's kinda boring.

That's what they get for going with an unproven coach..... :man12: Know what you mean though
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:41 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^ i wish... They almost don't say anything positive about anyone else without a negative attached except with Lebron of course. LBJ to Chandler Alley: "How many players can put the ball right there besides Lebron?" It was a basic Lob that every player on the team could do. Any time a US player takes a shot its a contested shot, bad choice or too much one on one unless its the King.

Yeah for Kobe's 6 shots Collins' commentary has rubbed off here too apparently:

Murdock on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:45 am

kobe in chucking mode again :(
LTLakerFan

Postby THEONE24 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:15 am

I don't know why y'all complaining about Doug giving props to LeBron. He liked the fact that LeBron is a very consistent facilitator who's willing to move the ball around without chucking up quick shots like, Durant and Melo does. What's there to hate about a player who's willing to let everyone else involved? He even set up Tyson Chandler up for an easy alley oop.
THEONE24

Postby bumrusherer on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:40 am

^ Exactly. And if Lebron was a Laker, we'd have been doing the exact same thing. The guy is so good in every area, you have to give him credit for that.
bumrusherer

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:43 am

LeBron is awesome. You guys should try to remove your hater glasses.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:45 am

btw, the referees for this game are a hot pile of [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]

24K GOLD

Postby kenzo on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:54 am

Lebron is GOD. Stop hating :man9:
kenzo

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:12 am

kenzo wrote:Lebron is GOD. Stop hating :man9:

You guys are so defensive. I didn't mean that you put LeBron over Kobe, but stop criticizing him over everything.

24K GOLD

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:16 pm

24K GOLD wrote:LeBron is awesome. You guys should try to remove your hater glasses.

A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 pm

the IOC is instablocking all of my highlights on youtube. so much for touting this as the most connected olympics through social media ever. :bang:
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:11 pm

karacha wrote:I like this USA offense: dribble the ball. See if you can chuck it; if not, turn around like a madman and pass it to another random guy camping at the 3-pt line who will dribble and shoot if possible, in a strictly 1-on-1 fashion. Repeat.

Krzyzewski = overrated. IMO he rode Team USA's talent to his great W record.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 pm

24K GOLD wrote:

You guys are so defensive. I didn't mean that you put LeBron over Kobe, but stop criticizing him over everything.

You completely misunderstood everyone's posts. They weren't hating on LeBron, they were disliking the commentators' constant praise on him alone and not giving credit to other players. We don't mind anyone giving credit to those who deserve it, it's just that with LeBron it's gotten to a point when it's completely exaggerated, way over the top, like that lob pass (which any perimeter player in the team can make). It's biased and obvious, and that's what bothers people.
Most players have to build their own brand and legacy, but LeBron gets enormous help from the media. He was "the King" even before he won any award, not to mention a title. It's not about LeBron per se, it's about the media's representation of him.
I like LeBron, he seems like a very good guy and obviously he's a special and great player. What I hate is the media's agenda, trying to make him look like more than what he is (which is already pretty awesome), while bashing other players in a parallel effort to make him look even greater. Luckily, those who know the game and have been playing it / watching it for years know what's the truth and what's exageration and fabrication.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:23 pm

24K GOLD wrote:

We're not, we hate Doug Collins and a lot of these guys (ESPN) for slobbering all over LBJ on air....get it?
LTLakerFan

Postby Jigglin Jello on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:56 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:the IOC is instablocking all of my highlights on youtube. so much for touting this as the most connected olympics through social media ever. :bang:

In England you can get fat fines for even using the words gold, olympics, games, etc. IOC cares about money and nothing else.
“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
― Charles Bukowski
Jigglin Jello

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Finwë wrote:

The "B-Team" winning gold at the 2010 FIBA Worlds pretty much disproved that. Krzyzewski managed to bring a team of "second tier" talent together in three weeks and beast the best the rest of the world had to offer. They rode Durant offensively, but defensively the entire team bought in and did a great job of locking down the opposition. Iggy and Gay in particular hounded the s*** out of the opposition's best .

FWIW I kind of agree with you at the offensive end, as Team USA does a lot of freelancing at that end of the floor, but defensively they definitely buy in as a team and I think you have to give Krzyzewski his dues there.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:06 pm

wow I didn't know my thoughts on the pathetic commentating for our OLYMPIC team was Lebron hate. Funny all the "Team Lebron" guys on CL have come in to his defense.

I am sorry for not thinking that everything Lebron does should be praised to the point of blah. Ya'll might want to get over the blind defense of all things Lebron. Geez, it had everything to do with the commentating and nothing to do with Lebron. Hater glasses? Might want to check your glasses.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Finwë wrote:Krzyzewski = overrated. IMO he rode Team USA's talent to his great W record.

LOLWUT

24K GOLD

Postby Murdock on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:33 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
Finwë wrote:

The "B-Team" winning gold at the 2010 FIBA Worlds pretty much disproved that. Krzyzewski managed to bring a team of "second tier" talent together in three weeks and beast the best the rest of the world had to offer. They rode Durant offensively, but defensively the entire team bought in and did a great job of locking down the opposition. Iggy and Gay in particular hounded the s*** out of the opposition's best .

FWIW I kind of agree with you at the offensive end, as Team USA does a lot of freelancing at that end of the floor, but defensively they definitely buy in as a team and I think you have to give Krzyzewski his dues there.

Isn't it Nate McMillan that primary takes care of the D?
Murdock

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 am

Murdock wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:
Finwë wrote:

Isn't it Nate McMillan that primary takes care of the D?

He is, but Krzyzewski gets them to buy in, and during huddles he's always the one giving orders, as well he should be as the HC. I think some folks underestimate how difficult it can be to manage all of the egos on that team and get them to buy into a single philosophy and style of play (at least at the defensive end). He's done a much better job for example of limiting Westbrook's shenanigans, although I suppose part of that could be chalked up to the fact that Team USA is ridiculously deep and any stupidity will see a player quickly relegated to the bench.

Still, while Coack K rides their talent to an extent, I look at the disasters that were the 2002 and 2004 teams as examples of what can happen when players and coaches butt heads (Karl and Pierce in '02), or when a coach opens his mouth to the public and repeatedly throws his players under the bus while forcing his team to play a style of ball that doesn't cater to their athletic advantage (Brown in '04).
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Murdock on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 am

I don't necessarily disagree ... I agree with that but also Colangelo helped in that department too ... I mean all the D schemes are mostly from McMillan's book ... but I agree he can handle them, because he plays off their ego's he is not a dictator but a negotiator in my mind ...

still I think he gets more credit he deserves ... just my opinion ... I think that McMillan would do just fine (I loved him when he coached Blazers)
Murdock

Postby Finwë on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:54 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
Finwë wrote:

I get giving Krzyzewski credit, he does deserve some of the credit he's gotten, but I don't think he should be particulary celebrated for what you said.. Do you really have to be an amazing coach to figure out that one of the most athletic teams ever assembled can play hounding lock-down D? It wasn't as if their success on that side of the floor was all due to some brilliant scheme, it was just an incredible personel.. Any coach could make a team that has Rose, Westbrook, Iggy, Gay, KD, Chandler, etc. a good defensive team that gets steals and runs for easy baskets.
As for the offense, was it much different than what it is now? IMO it still was about talent. You said "second tier", but that team was still far and away much better than any other team in the tournament. The US isn't the only country that doesn't think the World Cup isn't as big of a deal as the Olympics, most of them do. Most of them will think twice before sending the very best they've got to that tournament. It's just that their reserves, or "second tier", aren't all-star NBA players or great role players with NBA talent..
If Krzyzewski was as good as the media paints him to be (what I mean by overrated), there's no way the US loses against Greece in 2006.

BTW I'm not just dissapointed with Krzyzewski or blaming him alone. D'Antoni is suppossed to be a great offensive coach and he's there to do just that, but as we can see, the offense is awful. So they are all kinda underachieving.
The only reason the US is winning is because, despite injuries, they've once again assembled the most dominant (talent-wise) team in the tournament, far and away. Their backup PG is Deron Williams :man10: Carmelo Anthony comes off the bench! Kevin Love plays like 12 minutes a game! :man10:
Finwë

Previous

Return to Team USA