GoldMedalGame: 8/24 USA vs Spain - Predictions/Comments

Postby The Rock on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:59 am

so does this mean we get 12 gold medals added to the medal count table?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 am

MDI wrote:so does this mean we get 12 gold medals added to the medal count table?
no :man11:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby assassin08 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:05 am

MDI wrote:so does this mean we get 12 gold medals added to the medal count table?

No, it counts as 1, since it's still just one sport of one gender.

Think of the U.S. men's swimming team winning the relays, even though they had 4 people, that only counted as 1 medal.
"I've learned that I have the strength to change."

- Al Pacino as Michael Corleone

assassin08

Postby GinoDB on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:10 am

KB24@CL wrote:

why the :man11: face?

hes asking a legit question, no need for that
GinoDB

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:31 am

GinoDB wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:

actually :man11: is not necessarily negative facial expression. It was just that I thought the idea is funny.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:58 am

KB24@CL wrote:
GinoDB wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:

actually :man11: is not necessarily negative facial expression. It was just that I thought the idea is funny.
We'd have so many golds, lol. 24 for basketball, men and women, shoooot.

And Dwight got dunked on fair and square, Kobe left him out to dry by gambling, lol.
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby bokeron on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:40 pm

As I've asked in some other thread... do the NBA refs allow hand checking to european players ? If not, why not ?
bokeron

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

Postby KB24 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:48 pm

bokeron wrote:As I've asked in some other thread... do the NBA refs allow hand checking to european players ? If not, why not ?

because that would be a significant advantage for European players...

but obviously, Spain fans are sooo hurt about the loss, they just want to argue some peanuts facts...

the best/most talented team won the tournament. stop snitching and just accept that Spain isn't as good as USA...its not a shame...

goodness gracious.

the travel is not something USA used to get to the lane and convert easy layups...they mostly travel when they recieve the outlet pass on the fly. Its not like they take a great advantage that would decide a game or anything.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby bokeron on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:02 pm

So ... that would be a significant advantage for european players ... but not calling a single travelling is "peanuts facts". Funny.

Man, read my post. I KNOW the US is the best team. It's always been, and it's undeniable. Who's saying otherwise ? We just claim that it is unfair to play by different rules, depending if you're NBA or not. Let's play by NBA rules, I dont give a damn, but the same rules for ALL.

Really, is that difficult to understand ? Why haven't the same rules been applied to Lithuania, Argentina, Russia, Angola, Greece, China... ?

Why have the us team has to receive special treatment form the FIBA refferees, if the european player doesn't get the same tratment form NBA reffs ?
bokeron

Postby 1_Paranoik_6 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:03 pm

I think that the conversation Spanish fans vs USA fans is stupid... USA won, we (Spain) lost. We should be happy to get 100 points and lose by 11 against the best USA selection of the last decade.

Congratulation again
1_Paranoik_6

Postby bokeron on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:19 pm

It doesn't mean I am not happy. But when I read some comments from us fans about the reffs... it was more than I could stand.

Man... the us team doesn even have the same antidoping tests... ridiculous.
bokeron

Postby ThizGuy83 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:19 pm

this olympics would of been the only chance the world would get for a shot at gold...cuz team usa's only weakness was size...but since we are just so damn good...it doesnt matter...now imagine when the next olympics come...and when most of these players come back with an even more polished game and add oden and more than likely bynum.....just wow...nuff said...
ThizGuy83

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:20 pm

1_Paranoik_6 wrote:I think that the conversation Spanish fans vs USA fans is stupid... USA won, we (Spain) lost. We should be happy to get 100 points and lose by 11 against the best USA selection of the last decade.

Congratulation again

Good man. You guys have nothing to be ashamed about. I think you earned the respect of the world. Well played.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby DejanBodiroga on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:41 pm

Orphebus wrote:Most Spanish fans are not this way. We just enjoyed a good game and we are proud of a spanish team that was able to provide some serious opposition against a blatantly superior team that stormed all their rivals all along the competition. I personally find quite lousy to spam the forums of the rival fans trying to spoil their well deserved fun.

It's true that the game was not well officiated. Most of you are not used to the FIBA rules. For example, they manage contacts in a different way (that's the reason some USA fans see some charge calls as unfair) and with FIBA rules you must throw the ball to the floor before you take the first step to avoid a travelling violation. If you have played basketball, you'll know that doing this will allow you to play faster and to beat your defender more easily. So, being very strict, the USA team commit a traveling violation every other play :P

But it's also true that american players are not used to these rules and it does not make sense to be strict with the calls, so I call it a fair game :)

USA overwhelmed every opponent they met and they deserve 100% their gold medal. Congrats to all USA fans :bow:

BTW, I listened to all the post game interviews and none of the Spanish players said that (except Rudy Fernandez after being asked about the traveling issue). MARCA is a very sensationalist newspaper and nobody in Spain take it seriously :man13:
+1
DejanBodiroga

Postby bystander on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:35 pm

LOL at the narrator of both videos,

same play, rudy's dunk,

Swedish commentators http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeYGsg7Drb0
Rusian commentators http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWRywGN7cA
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby LDR on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:37 pm

1_Paranoik_6 wrote:I think that the conversation Spanish fans vs USA fans is stupid... USA won, we (Spain) lost. We should be happy to get 100 points and lose by 11 against the best USA selection of the last decade.

Congratulation again

End Thread.
LDR

Postby slimjim on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:47 pm

after watching the game, all I can say is.

Ricky Rubio and Rudy Fernandez are going to be very good players in the nba.

I can't believe Rubio is only 17 years old... while the box score doesn't really indicate it, he can definitely hold his own amongst the NBA stars.
Last edited by slimjim on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimjim

Postby BDG on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:49 pm

I've already removed a bunch of officiating related comments.

Again, this thread is meant to discuss a great game and celebrate the Team USA victory.

If you want to whine over officiating, do it here: http://www.clublakers.com/forums/offici ... 01321.html
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby jimbo327 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Orphebus wrote:Most Spanish fans are not this way. We just enjoyed a good game and we are proud of a spanish team that was able to provide some serious opposition against a blatantly superior team that stormed all their rivals all along the competition. I personally find quite lousy to spam the forums of the rival fans trying to spoil their well deserved fun.

It's true that the game was not well officiated. Most of you are not used to the FIBA rules. For example, they manage contacts in a different way (that's the reason some USA fans see some charge calls as unfair) and with FIBA rules you must throw the ball to the floor before you take the first step to avoid a travelling violation. If you have played basketball, you'll know that doing this will allow you to play faster and to beat your defender more easily. So, being very strict, the USA team commit a traveling violation every other play :P

But it's also true that american players are not used to these rules and it does not make sense to be strict with the calls, so I call it a fair game :)

USA overwhelmed every opponent they met and they deserve 100% their gold medal. Congrats to all USA fans :bow:

BTW, I listened to all the post game interviews and none of the Spanish players said that (except Rudy Fernandez after being asked about the traveling issue). MARCA is a very sensationalist newspaper and nobody in Spain take it seriously :man13:

Well, that's because Spain is not the favorite to win. Americans feel the same way about soccer, we will be happy if the USA soccer team make a good showing in the World Cup. But would Spanish fans feel OK if US beat them in soccer. As you can see, it is all relative to expectations. There was a lot of pressure for Team USA basketball to win, whereas there is no pressure for Spain. In soccer, it would be totally different feeling.
jimbo327

Postby bystander on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:30 pm

http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_ass ... ching.html

A rumor going around the Olympic Village is that Fernandez was caught wearing a "I went to the 2008 Olympics and all I got was this lousy tee shirt and a prostate exam" shirt.

LOL
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Helljumper on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Wow, the day Kobe wins the gold is 8/24
Helljumper

Postby scissors on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:55 pm

if the gold medal game was a 7 game series, would team U.S. sweep the series?
scissors

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:01 pm

slimjim wrote:after watching the game, all I can say is.

Ricky Rubio and Rudy Fernandez are going to be very good players in the nba.

I can't believe Rubio is only 17 years old... while the box score doesn't really indicate it, he can definitely hold his own amongst the NBA stars.
Yeah, I agree, they're really good. Friggin' portland. Navarro was tearing it up out there too, too bad he's leaving Memphis to go overseas.

Helljumper wrote:Wow, the day Kobe wins the gold is 8/24
That's an interesting observation, HJ. Crazy.
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:40 pm

scissors wrote:if the gold medal game was a 7 game series, would team U.S. sweep the series?

most definitely. the only team they might lose a couple games to in a 7 game series would be the original 92 dream team.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby jlkr on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:31 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
scissors wrote:if the gold medal game was a 7 game series, would team U.S. sweep the series?

most definitely. the only team they might lose a couple games to in a 7 game series would be the original 92 dream team.

The original 92 Dream Team would beat this one. The one weakness this team had, the 92 team had in spades: strong, physical post players. Barkley, Malone, Robinson and Ewing would have killed this team inside. This team's perimeter skill would probably not have been enough to overcome the disadvantage in the post given that the Dream Teamers also had their own perimeter stars in Drexler, Jordan and Pippen at the top of their games.
jlkr

PreviousNext

Return to Team USA