GoldMedalGame: 8/24 USA vs Spain - Predictions/Comments

Postby Vigen on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:32 am

Hey, this avatar aint bad either as a Laker, too :mhihi:

Vigen

Postby purp n gold on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:37 am

jlkr wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:
scissors wrote:if the gold medal game was a 7 game series, would team U.S. sweep the series?

most definitely. the only team they might lose a couple games to in a 7 game series would be the original 92 dream team.

The original 92 Dream Team would beat this one. The one weakness this team had, the 92 team had in spades: strong, physical post players. Barkley, Malone, Robinson and Ewing would have killed this team inside. This team's perimeter skill would probably not have been enough to overcome the disadvantage in the post given that the Dream Teamers also had their own perimeter stars in Drexler, Jordan and Pippen at the top of their games.

I even have my doubts against the 96 team. I would say the Redeem Team has an advantage against 96's guards, but the frontcourt rotation of Barkley-Malone and Olajuwon-Shaq-Robinson would eat this team alive.
purp n gold

Postby GinoDB on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:26 am

Vigen wrote:Hey, this avatar aint bad either as a Laker, too :mhihi:

nice one , did you look for that? or just happened to have it saved?(the lakers uni one)
GinoDB

Postby jlkr on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:34 am

purp n gold wrote:
jlkr wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:
scissors wrote:if the gold medal game was a 7 game series, would team U.S. sweep the series?

most definitely. the only team they might lose a couple games to in a 7 game series would be the original 92 dream team.

The original 92 Dream Team would beat this one. The one weakness this team had, the 92 team had in spades: strong, physical post players. Barkley, Malone, Robinson and Ewing would have killed this team inside. This team's perimeter skill would probably not have been enough to overcome the disadvantage in the post given that the Dream Teamers also had their own perimeter stars in Drexler, Jordan and Pippen at the top of their games.

I even have my doubts against the 96 team. I would say the Redeem Team has an advantage against 96's guards, but the frontcourt rotation of Barkley-Malone and Olajuwon-Shaq-Robinson would eat this team alive.

One thing is for sure: the USA needs more and better post players next time. Spain outrebounded the USA in the title game and the USA won only because they shot well and had Kobe in the 4th. And we know that the Spanish team has some young players who are only going to get better (Rubio, Fernandez, M. Gasol, etc.). So here's hoping that Bynum and Oden develop well enough to be included next time. Maybe Beasley too. Then Bosh can play his natural PF position, assuming he wants to stay on the team.
jlkr

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:14 pm

92 dream team would blow this Team USA out of the water. It won't even be close. First of all, today's team lacks any type of big man with any back to the basket skills. There would be nothing they can do against the true centers back in the days. Right there, the game is over. Plus you got real dead eye shooters in Bird. You got Magic posting up Kidd, CP3 or Deron with ease. And you still got MJ, Pip, Barkley...Depth-wise, the 92 team will kill this Redeem team. If there was a young shaq on the older team, today's redeem team have no shot, that's how weak our big men are.
jimbo327

Postby goatis24 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Helljumper wrote:Wow, the day Kobe wins the gold is 8/24

:man1:
goatis24

Postby KGB on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:07 pm

I just watched the replay and all I can say is :wow: :wow: :wow:

What an exiting and thrilling game. It is more than what the dark night was to summer movies. This ish was epic. :bow:
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby westcoast21 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Watched it for the 4th time on my tivo. It was a great game by both teams. I give my props to Spain. To the Gasol brothers, Ricky Rubio, and Rudy Fernandez, they all played well and I cant wait to see Marc, Ricky, and Rudy shine in the NBA.

Ref's sucked.... but both ways. They called ticky tack fouls in the first, let stuff go in the second and third, then went back to ticky tack in the fourth.

Kobe put on the show as usual. Wade got them going when Lebron and Kobe went out with foul trouble. Kobe finished the game though, like us Laker fans have had the pleasure to see so often.

One thing that annoyed me about Spain. The COMPLAINING. My goodness, they reminded me of the Boston Celtics whining so much about every call, like they could do no wrong on the floor. There were a couple of plays, for example Kobe's break away dunk where they all stood up and some even stepped onto the floor. Spain fans should be happy bc if this was NBA rules half their team would have been given technicals for the out of control whining and towel throwing.

Finally, way to bring back the gold. Its back where it belongs. Now that this is over, its time for Kobe and Pau to get back to work and bring another type of hardware, but this time to LA.

USA!!!!!
Go Lakers!!!!
westcoast21

Re: GoldMedalGame: 8/24 USA vs Spain - Predictions/Comments

Postby PaulGas on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:25 am

Seems wont be any final between Spain and USA cause Russia will definitely beat Australia in their last match so first place will be secured... Spain will beat Brazil in their last match so Spain will be Second in B group.

That mean will play with Argentina in QF and then USA in semi. But lets not forget they can lose against Brazil and play with France in QF and Russia in SF . What can be the strategy for Spain here ? Should they try to avoid a semi against USA ?
gus
PaulGas

Postby Finwë on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 am

More olympic tanking :bang:
Though basketball tanking is easier to disguise I guess. Maybe it isn't as PATHETIC as what happened in that badminton game, LOL.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby bystander on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:28 am

Finwë wrote:More olympic tanking :bang:
Though basketball tanking is easier to disguise I guess. Maybe it isn't as PATHETIC as what happened in that badminton game, LOL.

? What are you talking about ?
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Finwë on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:30 am

bystander wrote:
Finwë wrote:More olympic tanking :bang:

? What are you talking about ?

I don't mean it's actually going to happen, but it's quite conceivable that one or both of the teams don't play their hardest since winning would mean facing the US, while losing would mean not facing them until the gold medal game.. There are a lot of ways of tanking without many noticing (and also are easy to defend it if they do notice).. A coach that wanted his team to lose could make it happen easily with unconventional and generally bad substitutions for example..

Unless your question was about that badminton game, in that case:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2182065/London-2012-Olympics-Badminton-Eight-badminton-players-disqualified.html

"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby bystander on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:19 pm

I knew about badminton, but i don't understand the whinning before the act.

bystander

Postby bystander on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Either way, Brazil is tanking

bystander

Postby Andu on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Loool... and peoples believed this will be the final but in fact will be played in QF... ofc USA can fix the match with Argentina but otherwise the QF will be USA - Spain ...
Andu

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:07 pm

It was "clever tanking" from Spain ... not assuming it is worse ...
wcsoldier81

Postby bystander on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:It was "clever tanking" from Spain ... not assuming it is worse ...

it was a disgrace, either they tanked or they kept playing awful. I'm hating this year performance. 2 loss already, wtf.

bystander

Postby Finwë on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:34 pm

bystander wrote:I knew about badminton, but i don't understand the whinning before the act.

Maybe I saw it coming?
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm

And yes, they did tank. And they did it in one of the ways I predicted (among other details), weird and inefficient substitutions.
I'll give you that the refs were awful, but IMO it was pretty clear they DID NOT really want to win this one
Finwë

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 pm

So is this the official thread? It spans four years :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Previous

Return to Team USA