Good as gold: LeBron guarantees Olympic title

Good as gold: LeBron guarantees Olympic title

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Associated Press: No more bronze medals for LeBron James. This time he’s coming home with gold — and that’s a guarantee.

So he says, anyway.

James made his guarantee in a Time magazine story that hits newsstands Friday. The Cleveland Cavaliers superstar is featured on one of the covers of the Olympic preview issue.

After comparing the feeling of receiving a gold medal on the podium to opening a prized gift on Christmas morning, James was asked if that meant he would lead the Americans to the title.

“Absolutely,” James responded.

Asked if he guaranteed it, he repeated, “Absolutely.”

The Americans are the favorites, but they haven’t won a major title since the 2000 Olympics. James was on third-place teams in the ‘04 games and the ‘06 world championships.

James has a mild sprained right ankle and likely won’t play Friday when the Americans face Canada in an exhibition game before leaving for China.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Azndude2190 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:37 pm

dont jinx us :bang:

but yeah pretty much :bow:
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:00 pm

You know, there's a such thing as tact, and the supposedly humble James sure doesn't have it. A LeBron James team is never desperate, after all he is the 'Chosen One', but man, pretty lame to guarantee gold if you ask me. The rest of the world is pretty much catching up and in Olympics since we lost last time I guess you could say they passed the US in team ball. It's most likely Team USA does win gold, but it's foolish to guarantee victory and overlook a team like Argentina before the thing even starts, which is basically what saying 'we've already won' is doing. I hope the vets like Kidd and Kobe keep the team focused and grounded and let them know this isn't going to be a breeze.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:57 pm

actually I like that...

USA needs to get that pride back...they have been BADLY abused in this last few tournaments...

greece, italy, argentina and spain...owned them badly..

its time to get that nasty attitude back and understand that ANYTHING but gold is beyond failure...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Projekt on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Weezy wrote:You know, there's a such thing as tact, and the supposedly humble James sure doesn't have it. A LeBron James team is never desperate, after all he is the 'Chosen One', but man, pretty lame to guarantee gold if you ask me. The rest of the world is pretty much catching up and in Olympics since we lost last time I guess you could say they passed the US in team ball. It's most likely Team USA does win gold, but it's foolish to guarantee victory and overlook a team like Argentina before the thing even starts, which is basically what saying 'we've already won' is doing. I hope the vets like Kidd and Kobe keep the team focused and grounded and let them know this isn't going to be a breeze.

Who says they're overlooking? I love it. It gets old hearing the usual responses about how good other teams are and it's going to be tough because everyone knows that. I love that our team has their swagger and are out to win it.
Projekt

Postby d33pzone on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:22 pm

He could be guaranteeing a gold medal because of the hurt of losing that has been with him for so long. It is good to hear him step up and say that because it is brutal honesty.

Kobe can't say that and be so brash right now, he isn't thought of as a golden child like James is. I think Kobe is one of the quiet leaders on this team who leads by example. Don't worry most people do see that and appreciate it from Kobe.
d33pzone

Postby GameTimeLaker on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Weezy wrote:You know, there's a such thing as tact, and the supposedly humble James sure doesn't have it. A LeBron James team is never desperate, after all he is the 'Chosen One', but man, pretty lame to guarantee gold if you ask me. The rest of the world is pretty much catching up and in Olympics since we lost last time I guess you could say they passed the US in team ball. It's most likely Team USA does win gold, but it's foolish to guarantee victory and overlook a team like Argentina before the thing even starts, which is basically what saying 'we've already won' is doing. I hope the vets like Kidd and Kobe keep the team focused and grounded and let them know this isn't going to be a breeze.

Come on Weez, what's wrong with LeBron feeling confident about winning it? I mean, he's came in 3rd place twice and seems tired of it. With this current team and the addition of Kobe, Kidd, Howard, Paul, Bosh, etc., he feels they are good enough to absolutely win. No excuses this time, they have all the intracicies to get it done and should without a doubt.

I like Bron's attitude, he's sending a message to the opposition.
Are You A Suns Fan?
Are You Depressed?
Need Help?
Call Us Now On 1-800 10 10 10
That's 1-800 Won Nothing Won Nothing Won Nothing
GameTimeLaker

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:38 pm

So now Wade has guaranteed Gold as well and says he's going on an Olympic tour when he comes home with his gold medal. What ever happened to being humble or at the very least pretending to be? I think it's a bit early to be planning what you're gonna do with your medal, I can't stand the attitude of these young guys like LeBron and Wade saying it's over already. You don't see Kidd, Kobe or Prince saying anything like that do you? It's almost making me wish the US DOES lose just to smack these guys in the face with a little humble pie.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Even if you feel that you are superior you never go out and give the other team motivation. Does LBJ and Wade not remember that Argentina, Spain and Greece could care less that its the USA on the other side of the court? I am all for being confident and having faith that we can bring the heat but that statement is just plain stupid.

I guess its easy when it will be on Kobe taking the heat if they lose.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Exactly, there is ZERO point in saying these things. Even if Wade and LeBron believe them, why say them? Joke about it in practice, talk about it with your teammates, know it inside, but don't spread this in the media. Now these teams that are really good are gonna take it personal as they should, you don't just overlook teams that beat you a few years ago, foolish. You don't see a smart vet like Kobe saying these stupid things, all you hear from him is that it's gonna be tough, that it truly is gonna be a challenge and that the world is very good now, the smart things to say.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:16 pm

Note to Wade and LeBron, STFU. Some things don't need to be said. Do you think Kobe believes we are going to win the gold? Absolutely. Do you hear him yapping about it?
nameant

Postby GameTimeLaker on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Why do I have a feeling that if Kobe guaranteed gold, nobody would be saying anything of this.

So was it not humble of Kobe to announce that the Lakers are going to play until June during his MVP trophy ceremony against Utah in LA?

Come on, they're confident superstars who feel that with our current lineup, we will win it all.

Stop making a big deal out of it.

Usually, when you're good at something, you're confident about yourself. When you have other people around you who are just as good, you become just as confident. Lack of confidence or being pessimistic leads to mentalities of being quote on quote, humble, because after not having a Gold medal since 2000 (8 years), anything less would be a travesty, and LeBron and Wade know this first hand. Give them a break.
Are You A Suns Fan?
Are You Depressed?
Need Help?
GameTimeLaker

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:48 pm

GameTimeLaker wrote:Why do I have a feeling that if Kobe guaranteed gold, nobody would be saying anything of this.

So was it not humble of Kobe to announce that the Lakers are going to play until June during his MVP trophy ceremony against Utah in LA?

Come on, they're confident superstars who feel that with our current lineup, we will win it all.

Usually, when you're good at something, you're confident about yourself. When you have other people around you who are just as good, you become just as confident. Lack of confidence or being pessimistic leads to mentalities of being quote on quote, humble, because after not having a Gold medal since 2000 (8 years), anything less would be a travesty, and LeBron and Wade know this first hand. Give them a break.

If Kobe had made that gaurantee it would be plastered all over ESPN. Lets take Kobe's "we will play until June" statement in the context of the moment he was receiving his MVP award infront of his home crowd and getting them hyped. LBJ and Wade on the other hand are trying to say that the US is going to win after they (LBJ/Wade and others) failed to even get to the gold medal game in the past 4+ years.

I think you are right to an extent that if Kobe said some fans would be like :jam2: :jam2: Mamba but most would be saying the following:

1. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Now ESPN has something to crucify Kobe on if they lose
2. Kobe WTF thats immaturity
3. Kobe should know better
4.......Waits for ESPN writers to start writing about the arrogance of Kobe

Those are just some of the comments I suspect from this board had he made the same decleration. It is one thing to say we feel we can and should compete for the gold medal it is another to say "we are going to win". LBJ and Wade do know what it feels like to come up short and they should also know what it feels like to be cocky and get your jocks handed to you by teams that have no right beating them. They got their breaks after the first Bronze medal they should both be grown enough to remember how that fealt....Guess not better give them a break.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby GameTimeLaker on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:57 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
GameTimeLaker wrote:Why do I have a feeling that if Kobe guaranteed gold, nobody would be saying anything of this.

If Kobe had made that gaurantee it would be plastered all over ESPN. Lets take Kobe's "we will play until June" statement in the context of the moment he was receiving his MVP award infront of his home crowd and getting them hyped. LBJ and Wade on the other hand are trying to say that the US is going to win after they (LBJ/Wade and others) failed to even get to the gold medal game in the past 4+ years.

I think you are right to an extent that if Kobe said some fans would be like :jam2: :jam2: Mamba but most would be saying the following:

1. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Now ESPN has something to crucify Kobe on if they lose
2. Kobe WTF thats immaturity
3. Kobe should know better
4.......Waits for ESPN writers to start writing about the arrogance of Kobe

Those are just some of the comments I suspect from this board had he made the same decleration. It is one thing to say we feel we can and should compete for the gold medal it is another to say "we are going to win". LBJ and Wade do know what it feels like to come up short and they should also know what it feels like to be cocky and get your jocks handed to you by teams that have no right beating them. They got their breaks after the first Bronze medal they should both be grown enough to remember how that fealt....Guess not better give them a break.

puffy,

I agree that if, and that's a big if, because I don't think they will, lose this year in the Olympics, Kobe may get a bulk of the blame, unfairly so.

He's the best player out there and everybody knows it, even if he isn't dubbed their leader by default, the players and coaches know that he's ultimately the difference maker.

The thing is, young guys like Wade and LeBron are just rolling with their emotions. They're excited about this team and excited about the prospect of winning gold after 8 years of dissapointment. I can't blame them for being so confident. These guys are high on life and are just speaking their mind. People would be foolish to think Kobe doesn't have an ego just because he says certain things off the court for PR purposes. He's probably the most confident player in the league and he has every right to be, just as I think Wade and LeBron as so good, they also have the right to be, especially when it comes to representing your country after being embarassed for so many years.

If Kobe had been part of the 2004 losing team, I'm sure his motivation would be to annhilate every team they face, which it probably is anyway. Point is, with LeBron and Wade, it's a little more personal, considering they've been through the battle and have ultimately failed. For them, it's embarassing, and they want to redeem themselves. They look around them and see Kobe, Paul, Howard, Bosh, etc. and think damn, we got ourselves one helluva team, there is no way we will lose this thing.

I like it, shows that they have comroderie and trust in each other.

I don't think the comments need to be probed, It's a bunch of competative athlete's representing our country with pride and giving the fans a guarantee that this time, there is no such thing as failure.
Are You A Suns Fan?
Are You Depressed?
Need Help?
GameTimeLaker

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Honestly, if Kobe had guaranteed it I'd feel the same way, it just doesn't need to be said. There's a difference between guaranteeing you'll be in the NBA Finals and coming out and basically saying the rest of the world doesn't need to show up to the Olympics. In the one case you're talking about making it past 3 teams and being a showman, in the other case you're calling out many countries and talking bad about them.

BUT, if Kobe did say this it'd have more weight behind it than Wade or LeBron because he's not the guy that brought home bronze last time. If Kobe said it people would probably take it serious because Kobe is a serious guy and when he says something like this he can usually back it up. He said the Lakers would be playing until June and they did. My point in the end is that I don't like the arrogance though, no matter who it's from. In the NBA, sure I don't care if Kobe says something like this, it's just team pride in the NBA. In the Olympic games though, you're basically telling other countries to stay home and it's beyond arrogant, especially for 2 guys that got bronze last time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 pm

^^^ Also, if Kobe did do what Lebron and Wade did he would be crusified for making a guarantee. We all know he would be taken as an arrogant star from the media's perspective.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:39 pm

I understand what you are saying but I am going to focus on a couple of points in your response.

GameTimeLaker"

The thing is, young guys like Wade and LeBron are just rolling with their emotions. They're excited about this team and excited about the prospect of winning gold after 8 years of dissapointment. I can't blame them for being so confident. These guys are high on life and are just speaking their mind.

just as I think Wade and LeBron as so good, they also have the right to be, especially when it comes to representing your country after being embarassed for so many years.

This response is for both of those quotes:
My problem is they weren't saying this when they had the reigns. Hell in the first olympics Melo was the best player yet he didn't get any credit while Wade and LBJ just sat back and did nothing. Now they have Kobe they are all of a sudden "we are the best"? That is the same as the kid on the playground taking other kids money because his big brother is around. What happens when the brother is gone? Would LBJ/Wade be saying the same had Kobe opted for surgery after the finals loss? I honestly don't think they would.

People would be foolish to think Kobe doesn't have an ego just because he says certain things off the court for PR purposes. He's probably the most confident player in the league and he has every right to be,

We know he has it but he has never knocked the competition because he understands that you have to respect your advisary as opposed to disrespecting them.

If Kobe had been part of the 2004 losing team, I'm sure his motivation would be to annhilate every team they face, which it probably is anyway. Point is, with LeBron and Wade, it's a little more personal, considering they've been through the battle and have ultimately failed. For them, it's embarassing, and they want to redeem themselves. They look around them and see Kobe, Paul, Howard, Bosh, etc. and think damn, we got ourselves one helluva team, there is no way we will lose this thing.

That is the difference Kobe already wants to annhilate them he doesn't need to get slapped in the face for two olympics to have that motivation. IMO LBJ/Wade are writing checks they expect Kobe to cash for them because I know I didn't see this same cockiness in the last olympics nor the world championships.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Return to Team USA