Grading Team USA's performance at FIBA tournament

Grading Team USA's performance at FIBA tournament

Postby Mr. Raza on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:36 pm

LAS VEGAS -- As they polish their gold medals and prepare to leave the desert heat behind, the members of the USA basketball team have to be pleased with their performance in the FIBA Americas tournament, where they flattened the competition by an average of 39.5 points per game. While many individual performances were nothing short of spectacular, there were a few that left just a little to be desired. Let's see who made the grade.

Jason Kidd: The Americans' shooting woes have gotten the most press in recent years, but the lack of a quality floor leader has been equally troublesome. Kidd is the ultimate floor general; he looks for the open man first, last and always, and rarely does he make mental errors. The 34-year-old Kidd showcased his defensive skills as well in the tournament, picking up full court and scrapping on the floor for loose balls. His attitude (Kidd slaps hands with virtually everyone on the floor during stoppages) was also infectious, as the U.S. team molded itself in the image of its captain.
Grade: A-

Kobe Bryant: You couldn't have asked much more of Bryant, who was both prolific (15.3 points) and economical (just 93 field goal attempts in 10 games) in his scoring. More important, Bryant emerged as the team's defensive stopper, frequently guarding the opposition's best perimeter players. Bryant shut down Brazil's Leandro Barbosa while frustrating Puerto Rico's Elias Ayuso with his in-your-face defense.

LeBron James: What can you say about a player who shot an absurd 76 percent while also keeping an eye on his teammates (USA-high 47 assists)? He was clearly comfortable with the three-point line (23-for-37) and even managed to play a little defense here and there. All in all, a terrific performance.
Grade: A

Carmelo Anthony: See above. The United States may have found its next international star in Anthony.
Grade: A

Dwight Howard: Solid overall performance by the starting center, who frequently found himself alone on an island under the rim for a U.S. team packed with small forwards. Howard did an admirable job controlling the paint, but he is going to need some help at next summer's Beijing Games.
Grade: B+

Michael Redd: The long search for a steady perimeter threat is over thanks to Redd, the purest shooter to don a USA uniform since Ray Allen. Redd admits even he is noticing his impact on the floor. In a preliminary round game against Venezuela, James drove to the basket against single coverage thanks to the help defender being afraid to leave Redd open. Redd could pick up his defense a little, but any deficiencies are probably more noticeable due to the fact that he is usually replacing the ball-hawking Bryant in games.

Chauncey Billups: The veteran proved a more than capable replacement for Kidd, adequately distributing the ball while not missing a beat on the defensive end. On the downside, he shot a team-worst 37.8 percent from the field and tended to launch threes early in the shot clock. But this was a good performance in his first go-round in international competition.
Grade: B

Amaré Stoudemire: Ever see a big man who wishes he were a guard? That's Stoudemire, who spent most of his pregame warm-ups bombing from three-point land or catching and shooting off imaginary screens. Stoudemire wasn't quite as overpowering underneath as he could have been, a sign that perhaps he is more suited for the power forward position than serving as Howard's understudy. Nevertheless, Stoudemire shot 67.3 percent, and he was still a presence inside thanks to his freakish athleticism.

Tayshaun Prince: Typical Prince, quietly effective and occasionally spectacular. Prince was a key contributor to the U.S. defensive effort and had possibly the dunk of the tournament when he threw down in the face of an Argentine defender. However, Prince, who saw most of his time at power forward, may be expendable if a player with more size comes along next summer.
Grade: B

Deron Williams: He very well may be the future of U.S. point guards. He commands the floor well and can shoot (61.3 percent in the tournament). But with Billups and Kidd entrenched at the point (and with Dwyane Wade capable of taking over in the event of an injury), Williams could be on the bubble next year as well. But lock him in right now for London in 2012.

Mike Miller: He was brought on board to shoot threes, and when he couldn't do that effectively (38 percent), he lost his usefulness. Expect Wade to snatch Miller's spot next year.
Grade: C

Tyson Chandler: It would have been interesting to see what Chandler could have done with more minutes. The defensive ace recorded 14 blocks and averaged a team-low 8.6 minutes per game. Sure, he's not the most explosive offensive player (the understatement of the year), but on this team he doesn't need to be. Unfortunately for Chandler, Chris Bosh (who missed the tournament with a foot injury) does many of the same things he can and brings a lot more offense.
Grade: B-

Mike Krzyzewski: Though occasionally overcoaching, Krzyzewski performed well in his second year working with professionals, and has earned the complete respect of his players. He set his rotations early and did a good job communicating to each player what his role was, which ended any potential distractions before they could begin. Coach K still likes to tinker with a zone defense, which failed just about every time the Americans went to it, but with a year to plan, he will more than likely toss it before the team heads to Beijing.

From: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html
Active DREAMer
Mr. Raza

Postby JuanoLAL on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Fair enough.

Only problem I have with it is that I don't see why Kobe gets praise and then gets an A-. Now I know that's a good grade, but he did just as good as LeBron and Carmelo, he became a defensive whiz and was an efficient scorer, two things he has lacked lately in the NBA season. Same goes for Kidd.

All four of them deserve As.
JuanoLAL

Postby Mr. Raza on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:54 pm

Fair enough.

Only problem I have with it is that I don't see why Kobe gets praise and then gets an A-. Now I know that's a good grade, but he did just as good as LeBron and Carmelo, he became a defensive whiz and was an efficient scorer, two things he has lacked lately in the NBA season. Same goes for Kidd.

Agreed. That's why if you go to the link, you'll see a picture of Lebron. But, I put up a picture of Kobe. :jam2:
Active DREAMer
Mr. Raza

Postby revgen on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:32 pm

I don't understand why Carmelo got an A while Kobe and Kidd got an A-. All Melo did was scoring. He didn't play D and he didn't distribute.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby gdchild on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:51 pm

The base of rating seems all about scoring.

Another thing I noticed, the writers (many of them anti-Kobe) can't say a bad thing about Kobe's FIBA performance, so they can only diminish him a bit by giving him a lower rating than James, Melo.
gdchild

Postby nameant on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:36 pm

Meaningless. LBJ and Melo have 2 bronze medals. Kidd and Kobe come along and now they have a gold. Coincidence? Absolutely not. LBJ fed off Kidd so much throughout these games. Dood got layup after layup and dunk after dunk. Melo did exactly what he did last year, yet last year we got a bronze. People need to stop beating around the bush. Kidd and Kobe took this team to that TRUE Dream Team level. We won t he gold b/c them. That in itself is larger than any individual performances they had during the tournament. A+ for both.
nameant

Postby ladam24 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:15 pm

JuanoLAL wrote:Fair enough.

He was lacking being an efficient scorer?

Did i miss something. What do you mean Juano?
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby ladam24 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:16 pm

nameant wrote:Meaningless. LBJ and Melo have 2 bronze medals. Kidd and Kobe come along and now they have a gold. Coincidence? Absolutely not. LBJ fed off Kidd so much throughout these games. Dood got layup after layup and dunk after dunk. Melo did exactly what he did last year, yet last year we got a bronze. People need to stop beating around the bush. Kidd and Kobe took this team to that TRUE Dream Team level. We won t he gold b/c them. That in itself is larger than any individual performances they had during the tournament. A+ for both.

Agreed 100%. :bow:
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby MadMax on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:18 pm

ladam24 wrote:
nameant wrote:Meaningless. LBJ and Melo have 2 bronze medals. Kidd and Kobe come along and now they have a gold. Coincidence? Absolutely not. LBJ fed off Kidd so much throughout these games. Dood got layup after layup and dunk after dunk. Melo did exactly what he did last year, yet last year we got a bronze. People need to stop beating around the bush. Kidd and Kobe took this team to that TRUE Dream Team level. We won t he gold b/c them. That in itself is larger than any individual performances they had during the tournament. A+ for both.

Agreed 100%. :bow:

me too, great post.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
MadMax

Postby temp5F on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm

JuanoLAL wrote:Fair enough.

38 ppg at the end of the season on 28 shots a game isn't too shabby. He was also at 28ppg or so in 20 shots earlier in the season before he was asked to dominate by Phil Jackson. He also shot 46.5% for the entire season and 47% during his 38ppg tear in the last 20 games. To me, that's pretty damn efficient. Efficiency isn't a problem for Kobe, it's not having good teammates and having to carry too much of the load.
temp5F

Postby melo061 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Kobe's fg% isn't the problem, it's his shot selection at crucial stages of games which at times isn't great.

From an fg% standpoint, kobe's pretty effecient.
melo061

Postby ladam24 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 am

melo061 wrote:Kobe's fg% isn't the problem, it's his shot selection at crucial stages of games which at times isn't great.

From an fg% standpoint, kobe's pretty effecient.

From and eFG% standpoint he's even more efficient.
ladam24

Postby Kou on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:54 am

What I don't understand is you give Michael Redd the same grade as Jason Kidd and Kobe?
Kou

Postby OCHO on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:58 pm

while all you said is true... don't get carried away and remember that this gold is for a QUALIFYING tourney... not exactly that of a WC or Olympic type level competition.. we all have to wait til Beijing before even THINKING of mentioning this team with "Dream Team" in the same sentence...
It's the length of one day.. One half.. One shot clock.. This number is my promise, to dominate every moment..
OCHO

Postby Samene on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:56 pm

These grades must be relative to ability. Melo gave us everything he is capable of. LBJ gave us more than we thought he was capable of. We all know kobe has more offense in him.
Samene

Postby LawSin on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:33 pm

well for kobe, he was a little quieter than I expected. not to say he did badly at all but hey, A- seems fair in a kobe scale kind of way
LawSin

Return to Team USA