Kidd wants to play for Team USA

Postby nameant on Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:25 pm

when the only fault you can find in Kidd is his jumper, you know he's a great, COMPLETE, PG. why would they not need that? the guy is the ultimate team player. the ultimate leader. Kidd and Kobe in the backcourt? that's one of the best backcourts ever. anytime Kidd is mentioned you bring up his J. somehow Kidd got by for 10+ years in the league "w/o a J" and will be heading to the HOF when it's all over. you make it sound like the guy is a liability. he's one of the only players in the league who could go scoreless or score in single digits but control the entire pace of a game. believe it or not his rebounding and defense would help team USA a lot. they'd get a lot more fastbreak opportunities and easy buckets. one of the things you complained about during worlds was Hinrich's D. so tell me how Kidd playing D wouldnt help? I mean, when you complain about something obviously there is room for improvement there, right? I can sense the other cliche coming. "he's old. he's not as fast on D." blah blah.
nameant

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:05 pm

Indeed his D would help. Hinrich was horrendous and he admited it. Against greece that one guard went off on him.

Kidds D would help but lets not forget we are talking about 2 years from now.
While his D would still not be bad I´m definitely thinking there will be better defenders available.

I mmean we cannot take Kidd and Billups and Wade and Arenas and Chris Paul and Allen Iverson and .....

we have to make choices, period. And team USA needs less chiefs and more indians. When I have Hinrich at point, I take Kidd gladly. But when I can have Billups, I takehimover Kidd. He is clutch, has a ring, knows pressure as good as anyone, has the D, has the deadly Jumper...I mean what else do you want? fast break? you have Chris Paul, Wade, Kobe, James....

point is Kidd is a good option, but there are better options, case closed.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby strikemode14 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:43 am

KB8@CL wrote:Indeed his D would help. Hinrich was horrendous and he admited it. Against greece that one guard went off on him.

Kidds D would help but lets not forget we are talking about 2 years from now.
While his D would still not be bad I´m definitely thinking there will be better defenders available.

I mmean we cannot take Kidd and Billups and Wade and Arenas and Chris Paul and Allen Iverson and .....

we have to make choices, period. And team USA needs less chiefs and more indians. When I have Hinrich at point, I take Kidd gladly. But when I can have Billups, I takehimover Kidd. He is clutch, has a ring, knows pressure as good as anyone, has the D, has the deadly Jumper...I mean what else do you want? fast break? you have Chris Paul, Wade, Kobe, James....

point is Kidd is a good option, but there are better options, case closed.

I actually think Kidd's game in this situation fits better then Billups. Billups is still going to want to score and that takes shots away from the other players. Kidd's mission is to pass, pass, pass and every blue moon as the 5th option may take a jumper. Kidd is effective without scoring and won't care if he only gets 4 or 6 pts a game.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby corona on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:53 am

the whole basis of this new program was to get guys committed to being with the team long term.

when you allow guys in late that just want to be there for the meaningful competitions, you screw the whole thing up.

no thanks jkidd. you're too late.
corona

Postby nameant on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 pm

corona wrote:the whole basis of this new program was to get guys committed to being with the team long term.

when you allow guys in late that just want to be there for the meaningful competitions, you screw the whole thing up.

so Worlds wasnt meaningful? I love the "You didnt commit 3 years, no thanks." attitude. it's ridiculous. there are a bunch of players, Kobe included, that commited but didnt do a damn thing with team USA during Worlds. what is the difference? there's absolutely none. you wanna turn away the best PG in the game, and a proven winner/leader b/c he didnt "commit 3 years"? team USA would be fools to turn him down. it's obvious what we have didnt work. I'm waiting for some1 to explain to me how JKidd joining team USA would HURT our team.
nameant

Postby corona on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:17 pm

nameant wrote:you wanna turn away the best PG in the game, and a proven winner/leader b/c he didnt "commit 3 years"? team USA would be fools to turn him down. it's obvious what we have didnt work. I'm waiting for some1 to explain to me how JKidd joining team USA would HURT our team.

it doesn't hurt it.
it just bypasses every part of what this new system is about.

the reason they created this list of players and did the two weeks of practice and made their selections....etc was to grow some sort of cohesion/unity on the team, that's presumably why all these euros keep beating us....because they've been together for a long time, and know how to play together. it's a slippery slope when you start letting guys come in after you've established the guidelines.
ron artest said he would have loved to be invited....should we let him in next summer? can we make an exception for him because he's such a great defender? (just like kidd is such a great passer/leader)

I love the "You didnt commit 3 years, no thanks." attitude. it's ridiculous. there are a bunch of players, Kobe included, that commited but didnt do a damn thing with team USA during Worlds. what is the difference? there's absolutely none.

it's one thing to show up a summer late.
it's another to commit and then have extenuating circumstances. you think the team should kick odom out because his son died? or kobe because he had knee surgery? no...and i never said that.
i'm split about the decisions of billups/redd, because getting married isn't as important to your life or the game as those previous two scenarios. (atleast i don't think so)
corona

Postby strikemode14 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:29 pm

corona wrote:the whole basis of this new program was to get guys committed to being with the team long term.

No the whole basis for the program is to make sure guys who play want to be there. You don't want guys who aren't 100% committed. You don't have to worry about J-Kidd. If he is on the roster he is going to go all out.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby corona on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:58 am

strikemode14 wrote:No the whole basis for the program is to make sure guys who play want to be there. You don't want guys who aren't 100% committed. You don't have to worry about J-Kidd. If he is on the roster he is going to go all out.

exactly. you just proved my point.
why didn't this come up last summer when jkidd didn't get an invite?

i would argue that it's because he's not 100% committed. if he were, he would have been calling colangelo daily to get to the training camp, and to get onto the WC roster.

commitment doesn't mean showing up a year late, doesn't matter what your reputation has been.
corona

Postby corona on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:23 pm

too all the guys arguing for kidd...

should team USA also let JO on?
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... _team_usa/

apparently he wants a chance too.
corona

Postby Startrex on Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:41 am

Veteran leadership is still needed. Yeah, I dont want to sound like I am hating on Lebron and Wade, but please... Kidd's experience is invaluable. Kidd and Kobe in the back court certainly add the leadership quality over Bron + Wade.
Purple and 24K Gold
Startrex

Postby bouncyman on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:28 pm

I wish Kidd could be on the team, since he is in my opinion the best point guard in the leauge... but if Jerry Coangelo is consistent with his statements, he probably won't be.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061112/SPORTS04/611120445/1088
Colangelo asked O'Neal last season to play with Team USA, but the Pacers' All-Star forward declined because he had a groin injury and didn't want to make the required three-year commitment.
"No, he won't be there," Colangelo told the Denver Post. "He was asked and there was no interest at the time. And remember, I was looking for individuals that were going to make a three-year commitment. There's no pass. You can't show up late for the dance. And that's just a general statement.
"I also said we had the flexibility of adding or deleting because we kind of set up our own infrastructure. But I want to be consistent with commitments I made to all the players."
bouncyman

Previous

Return to Team USA