Kobe expects wild atmosphere in Olympic opener in China

Kobe expects wild atmosphere in Olympic opener in China

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:01 pm

Rob Miech of the Las Vegas Sun wrote:Kobe Bryant expects the atmosphere inside Wukesong Indoor Stadium to be electric come Aug. 10, when the U.S. finishes the first day of Olympic basketball against China in Beijing.

Especially if, as anticipated, center Yao Ming plays for the Chinese team in its own arena.

“It’s going to be berserk, no question,” Bryant said Monday. “I really don’t know much about how the other guys handle crowds – if they listen to them, if they feed off of them.

“Personally, I block it out. It doesn’t hype me up. I just tune it out and do what I do.”

Yao suffered a stress fracture in his foot five months ago but returned to action Friday, scoring 11 points in China's 96-72 exhibition victory over Serbia.

Locals have dubbed Wukesong, which has a capacity of 18,000 fans, the “big Olympic yellow box.” Its exterior resembles a giant piece of yellow tofu.

After the U.S. national team started training for the Olympics with a three-hour session here at Valley High School on Monday, Bryant also said he’s taken a good look at the two Beijing groups.

The Americans are in Group B, with China, Germany, Greece, Angola and Spain.

Australia, Argentina, Croatia, Iran, Lithuania and Russia make up Group A.

“On its face, our group is the toughest,” Bryant said. “But we wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s what we’re here for. It’s the greatest challenge in the world and the greatest players in the world in one tournament.

“Let’s have at it.”

The U.S. plays a warm-up game against Canada on Friday night at UNLV, then it has pairs of tune-ups in Macao (against Turkey and Lithuania) and Shanghai (against the Aussies and Russians) before the Olympics.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:17 pm

Is that warm-up game against Canada this Friday going to be televised?
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:48 pm

KobefanMVP wrote:Is that warm-up game against Canada this Friday going to be televised?

Yes.

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:51 pm

^ Good thing they're replaying those game at 5pm Laker standard time. I mean 8am Eastern time? Who's going to get up for that.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 pm

China Olympics is going to be the safest place on Earth. They are going all out for this Olympics, and they have a security up the ying yang (no pun intended, sorta).
jimbo327

Return to Team USA